DIY Dodd Buffer

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: DIY Dodd Buffer
« Reply #1080 on: 15 Nov 2011, 05:59 pm »
I finally picked up a pair of these buffers.  ;)

I'm looking for a small form factor battery to power them.  Any recommendations?  I only need 2-4 hours of battery life with 6H30's, thanks.

Look at the UB1250-F1 style 12VDC@5Ah AGM batteries. 

This should give about 4 hours of playtime.  The CTEK chargers work well with this battery.

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #1081 on: 15 Nov 2011, 06:31 pm »
Definitely giing with the 1 in 1 out $150 kit. What is the least expensive way to power it? The battery kit is $250, that's more than I want to spend.

Also looking for a very inexpensive DAC, any suggestions?

Thanks
Moto

A ctek 3300 charger and 7ah battery would work. You can parallel multiple batteries to increase playback time as well.

MX48

« Reply #1082 on: 15 Nov 2011, 06:48 pm »
Now were gettin' somewhere. Battery and charger for less than $100.

Now just to find a ridiculously inexpensive quality DAC and I am getting close.

Thanks for the help,
Moto

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #1083 on: 15 Nov 2011, 06:53 pm »
Try a Musiland Monitor 01US DAC from Ebay. 

MX48

« Reply #1085 on: 15 Nov 2011, 07:48 pm »
praedet,

Thanks, I am a Prime member.

I assume the AH ratings don't directly coincide with actual run time. Can you leave the charger hooked up at all times?

Is the Musiland Monitor at the same quality level as the DODD?

Sorry for all the questions, this is new territory for me.

Moto

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #1086 on: 15 Nov 2011, 07:53 pm »
MX48

If you're using a cd/dvd player for playback, I don't believe you need a DAC. A DAC would be necessary if you were using a computer as your source and wanted to play back high-rez recordings.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #1087 on: 15 Nov 2011, 08:11 pm »
praedet,

I assume the AH ratings don't directly coincide with actual run time. Can you leave the charger hooked up at all times?

Moto

The Musiland Monitor 01US DAC is a USB input only DAC.  This is for PC or MAC operation.  It is very good for the price.

If you need an S/PDIF input DAC to work with a CD or DVD transport, this is not the one to use.

praedet

« Reply #1088 on: 15 Nov 2011, 08:12 pm »
praedet,

Moto
From above it looks like 5AH is about 4 hours or so of play time.  I don't think ANYONE has said they could hear the CTek charger working, so I think everyone keeps it plugged in.  I am running a very large battery with 4 things connected and I always have my CTek plugged in...

You only need a DAC of some kind if you are going to bypass the DAC in your digital source and want to do the conversion after...

MX48

« Reply #1089 on: 15 Nov 2011, 08:15 pm »
So I can plug my OPPO directly into the DODD and save some money? That would be great!

I will still need volume control correct?

Thanks again for all the help

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #1090 on: 15 Nov 2011, 08:18 pm »
If the OPPO has a remote with volume control, you can go directly into the buffer.  If the OPPO does not, then you need a volume control.  Gary sells a very good ALPS Blue volume control if needed.

MX48

« Reply #1091 on: 15 Nov 2011, 10:47 pm »
Yes the OPPO has a volume control. It doesn't seem to work except to mute but I am assuming that is because it is connected to my receiver.

Anyway this just keeps getting better and better. I can get things going for around $200 or so.

Moto

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #1092 on: 15 Nov 2011, 11:42 pm »
So I can plug my OPPO directly into the DODD and save some money? That would be great!

I will still need volume control correct?

Thanks again for all the help

If you go with either of the Dodd buffers, they will provide volume control.

HT cOz

« Reply #1093 on: 16 Nov 2011, 12:19 am »
I don't want to sound pessimistic but to control 6 channels of amplification you are likely to need 3 buffers or some form of active gain stage.  A simple buffer will not control volume.

Paul B

« Reply #1094 on: 5 Dec 2011, 01:18 am »
Just wondering if anyone has any details on the new Dodd Audio Remote LDR.

Is it something that can be integrated into an existing Dodd buffer, ie. replace the existing remote board?

thanks

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #1095 on: 5 Jan 2012, 01:25 am »
Here is a very nice review of Gary's Buffer on Dagogo.com.

http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=978

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #1096 on: 5 Jan 2012, 01:45 am »
Congratulations Gary for the great review. You once again have created a great product. I love mine.

jk@home

« Reply #1097 on: 6 Jan 2012, 12:17 am »
Couple Qs. I've ordered and received one of Gary's bare basic tube buffer kits, plan is to build a single I/O passive preamp incorporating it and either a Warpspeed LDR attenuator or Goldpoint Mini V stepped attenuator. 18" interconnects will be hard wired into the preamp, unit mounted directly behind the power amp, next to my Channel Island VDA-2.

The project is going to be spread out over the winter, whenever I can find some spare change here or there (in the tradition of the Cheap and Cheerful!) :green:

If I go with the Goldpoint, would I use the same pot value (100K) as the big boy kit?

And where are folks getting their 6H30P-DR tube? I see Parts Connexion carries them. Good source? (I have bought from them before, with no problems).

http://www.partsconnexion.com/tube_nos_6h30.html

Atlplasma

• Just off the boat
« Reply #1098 on: 6 Jan 2012, 12:33 am »
I can only respond to your tube question. Yes, Parts Connexion seems to be the best/most affordable option for the "supertube."

jk@home

« Reply #1099 on: 6 Jan 2012, 01:30 pm »
Thanks