DIY Dodd Buffer

TrungT

Re: DIY Dodd Buffer
« Reply #1100 on: 6 Jan 2012, 02:58 pm »
^^^^^
100K Pot value is a good match for the kit.
 :thumb:

jk@home

« Reply #1101 on: 7 Jan 2012, 01:53 pm »
Thanks T. I'm sending you a PM.

jk@home

« Reply #1102 on: 12 Jan 2012, 05:09 pm »
Ordering a CTEK charger today, and we have a Batteries Plus store down the road, so I can check out if they have something in stock I can use.

I have some questions regarding the 12 volt power supply. Have a closet on the back wall that has some of my equipment in it, hidden from view. I've seen the gorgeous battery boxes some have done here, but if I can throw the battery and charger in the closet, I won't need to go there.

Can I do a 6'-8' 12 VDC cable run from battery to buffer? If so, what gauge wire should I use? If not, what's the max length? Does the cable need to be shielded? Thanks

TrungT

« Reply #1103 on: 12 Jan 2012, 05:15 pm »
^^^^^
Buffer only draw 1A, so 12G wire should handle, make sure you add on an extra fuse close to the battery possible, just for extra safety.

jk@home

« Reply #1104 on: 12 Jan 2012, 05:43 pm »
Good news, thanks

siava1018

« Reply #1105 on: 18 Jan 2012, 11:09 pm »
I emailed gary the other day for a vol pot and knob but he hasnt replied.  Where else can i get a blue alps, is there anything else to use?

TrungT

« Reply #1106 on: 18 Jan 2012, 11:29 pm »
^^^^^
Try email Gary again, he had problem with his email last few days.

face

« Reply #1107 on: 18 Jan 2012, 11:30 pm »
A Goldpoint stepped attenuator would be better, if not an Alps pot would work. 

usp1

« Reply #1108 on: 19 Jan 2012, 01:11 am »
Or try the Warpspeed LDR.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #1109 on: 19 Jan 2012, 01:28 am »
Gary has on his website that he is working on a remote LDR volume control for his preamps.

Might be worth seeing if he plans a retrofit kit for the existing buffers.

face

« Reply #1110 on: 19 Jan 2012, 01:29 am »
Anyone know what this mess is?  :lol:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #1111 on: 19 Jan 2012, 01:32 am »
I would say it is a balanced Dodd Audio Buffer being driven by a piece of sculpture.   :scratch:

TrungT

« Reply #1112 on: 19 Jan 2012, 02:22 am »
^^^^^
Sculpture made it balanced.
and sound good too  :lol:

jk@home

« Reply #1113 on: 24 Jan 2012, 01:26 pm »
Starting to get my parts together, thanks Trung for helping me out there  :thumb: Ordered some Sonicap Platinums for bypass caps and M/F neutrik powercons. Got the Power Sonic 18 AH battery and CTEK 3300.

Picked up a small, inexpensive panel mount analog 0-15 VDC meter from a local ET shop, to use on a temporary breadboard board I am first building the buffer on, need to start breaking in the caps ASAP. Later will get one of those nice ones from JD for the finished chassis. I want to be able to monitor the voltage right on the buffer.

I see on the standard buffer kit, it uses a power switch/mute board. But on the single I/O buffer pictured on the Dodd site, it appears he uses a standard toggle switch. Can this be a SPST switch, or does it need to be DPST (w/both plus and minus controlled)?

I assuming the mute function is to prevent turn on/off thumps?, Is that going to be an issue when using just a toggle? In my system I turn the power amp on last / off first (manually), so I should be OK, right?.

Also is the signal grounded to chassis, same as/tied into the 12 VDC ground, or should they be isolated? I'm using an Aragon 8008ST amp, and have had DC offset problems with it before.

Edit: Emailed Gary, SPST switch OK, all grounds go together. Onward
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2012, 05:09 pm by jk@home »

TrungT

« Reply #1114 on: 25 Jan 2012, 07:26 pm »
^^^^^
Glad you got email from Gary.

jk@home

« Reply #1115 on: 5 Feb 2012, 01:05 pm »
I was up in the garage attic the other day, found an old surplus ammo case laying around. Thought that it might make a decent battery box (as long as it's hidden :) ). Do these gel batteries in this type of app need any ventilation at all? The metal ammo box is air tight, although that could be remedied with a drill and drill bit.

Also when checking into some more Neutrik powercons, for the above box, discovered on their web site that the gray colored connectors are designated as "power-out", vs the blue color as "power-in". But yet folks here use the gray ones on their buffer chassis (power-in). Is this a non-issue, or am I missing something here?

http://www.neutrik.com/en/lighting/powercon/powercon-20-a/

TrungT

« Reply #1116 on: 5 Feb 2012, 02:29 pm »
^^^^^
SLA > Seal Lead Acid
So your armmo case should work great (great ideal)  :thumb:
You can use either Neutrik powercon, just make sure you get the right male plug for it.
Gray powercon is corrected power in.
NAC3FCB + NAC3MPB-1
You can add an inline fuse closed to the battery possible (more safety)

tenantman

• Industry Participant
  • Togetherness beats all odds
    • Caprice Audio
« Reply #1117 on: 5 Feb 2012, 02:36 pm »
I emailed gary the other day for a vol pot and knob but he hasnt replied.  Where else can i get a blue alps, is there anything else to use?

Try hifi collective in UK for the ALps pot

jk@home

« Reply #1118 on: 5 Feb 2012, 03:04 pm »
^^^^^
SLA > Seal Lead Acid
So your armmo case should work great (great ideal)  :thumb:
You can use either Neutrik powercon, just make sure you get the right male plug for it.

I"m going to have a couple Ms & Fs of each color, so I'm good there.

Right now have a standard 50 cal box, may look for a "fat" 50, in town, which will give me a little more room. Thanks to all the military bases around here, we have a "surplus" of surplus stores to choose from. :green:

TrungT

« Reply #1119 on: 5 Feb 2012, 04:48 pm »
^^^^^
If you drill few holes for vent, you can mount the C-Tek charger inside, on the lid.
 :wink:
The lid can become a heat sink.