Sold Both Of My Duets And I Am Very Happy!!

Charles Calkins

Re: Sold Both Of My Duets And I Am Very Happy!!
« Reply #80 on: 9 Apr 2010, 05:57 pm »
Hey Wayne!!
 As long as my SB3 that you modded works as well as it does I'll not be buying a touch anytime soon.

Cheers
                                          Charlie
P.S.  See you at the RMAF.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #81 on: 9 Apr 2010, 09:36 pm »
Ditto what Charles said.  :eyebrows:
Well, except for the RMAF thing.  :cry:

Bob

Wayne1

« Reply #82 on: 9 Apr 2010, 10:22 pm »
Come on out for RMAF, Bob. I'm sure you can hitch a ride with Bryan.

Charlie might even buy you a beer.

I should have a Touch there for everyone to play with.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #83 on: 10 Apr 2010, 12:48 am »
I don't know Wayne. Several months ago I began making arrangements to be an exhibitor. Doesn't look like "life" will allow me to put together a system by October. But yea, I not only was planning to come, I was going to come in a big way. Not sure a "little ol guy" like me could gather enough borrowed, donated, stolen, or purchased equipment to put together something worth while enough to show. I've got some neat stuff (Hawthorne Sterling, your modded SB3, etc...) but most of it is used in a home theater rig which is not suitable for packing up and shipping to RMAF.

Bob

kyrill

« Reply #84 on: 13 Apr 2010, 12:38 pm »
I have two SqueezeBoxes as well and they have worked flawlessly as well.  They now are wired and that fact alone made for a significant boost in sound quality in that the wireless card is turned off. 
Chris Loan Wolf had problems in networking one he had a while back and he's no dummy so it can happen. 
[/size]

Is his generally true? I have never tried wire, but may i expect my Wayne modded SB3 to sound better with cat 5?

ctviggen

« Reply #85 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:03 pm »
[/size]

Is his generally true? I have never tried wire, but may i expect my Wayne modded SB3 to sound better with cat 5?

Unless you have the ability to turn off the wireless, I don't see how that will be true. I bought my SB2s without wireless, so I can't do any tests. 

ebag4

« Reply #86 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:03 pm »
[/size]

I heard an improvement when I connected my SB3 with Cat5.

Best,
Ed

kyrill

« Reply #87 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:10 pm »
i
I ask this as opting for the Cat 5 approach will be a pain in the pants
My pc is one floor higher
has a serious A/B testing been done?

ebag4

« Reply #88 on: 13 Apr 2010, 01:14 pm »
i
I ask this as opting for the Cat 5 approach will be a pain in the pants
My pc is one floor higher
has a serious A/B testing been done?
It was immediately obvious to me, but no serious A/B testing.  Why not simply run a long CAT5 down the steps temporarily to try for yourself in your system.  Should be quick and easy.  Long Cat5 cables are very cheap at Monoprice.com.

Best,
Ed

whanafi

Can wireless (Wi-Fi) affect the SQ?
« Reply #89 on: 13 Apr 2010, 03:15 pm »
Have to say I have both wired and wireless SB3's running and a wireless Transporter.  With a good signal (>85%), I don't understand why there would be a difference.  You are streaming data, using TCP/IP, so both the physical layer and the logical layer are error corrected.  If you were getting dropouts, you would notice stuttering or pauses while the unit retried and buffered - but not a difference in SQ.

The idea that the radio itself causes interference is new to me - that would condemn Logitech, Sonos, Olive, and everybody else with wireless connectivity to the bin.  Since it can't be a data effect, you must be postulating an effect on the analogue outputs.

Any science to back this up?

kyrill

« Reply #90 on: 13 Apr 2010, 03:27 pm »
whanaffi
theoretically you are within the constraints of knowledge, absolutely right

the downside of knowledge is you WILL hear what you expect to hear
remember back then the smiling faces of the inventors of the CD ( before they had any knowledge about jitter) They smiled because cd sound perfect because they should sound perfect

error correction in streaming media is perfect for data to be stored, NOT to listen at

whanafi

« Reply #91 on: 13 Apr 2010, 03:59 pm »
so the corollary is that within the constraints of ignorance, you will not know what you are hearing?

A streaming music device is using a transmitter and receiver at both ends running a protocol that guarantees delivery of what was sent.  That is not opinion, that is the basis of computer networking and is what is happening as I type this from 9000 miles away.

Given that the data transmitted is the data received, the only variables are how that data is processed (the DAC) and how the resulting signal is presented at the analogue outputs.

Unless we are debating the quality of digital music reproduction (I hope not), then the topic is whether a wireless data carrier introduces audible changes to the source.

Looking forward to explanation.

kyrill

« Reply #92 on: 13 Apr 2010, 04:20 pm »
so the corollary is that within the constraints of ignorance, you will not know what you are hearing?

A streaming music device is using a transmitter and receiver at both ends running a protocol that guarantees delivery of what was sent.  That is not opinion, that is the basis of computer networking and is what is happening as I type this from 9000 miles away.

Given that the data transmitted is the data received, the only variables are how that data is processed (the DAC) and how the resulting signal is presented at the analogue outputs.

Unless we are debating the quality of digital music reproduction (I hope not), then the topic is whether a wireless data carrier introduces audible changes to the source.

Looking forward to explanation.

"so the corollary is that within the constraints of ignorance, you will not know what you are hearing?"
Ignorance ( of theories) is perfectly suited to allow a full experience. And a flawed experience will be experienced for the uneducated as well as for the educated. In other words you do not need any theory to experience yr 5 senses

data, bits streaming and so on they are all abstract data. What you HEAR is the experience. You hear bad or good sound ( simplistic for the sake of argument) being without or within the realm of ignorance
So you don't need as consumer in becoming an experienced listener to have any knowledge what most technical* ppl need in order to know what they should hear.

*with the wrong attitude

whanafi

« Reply #93 on: 13 Apr 2010, 05:01 pm »
OK, so we are not going to talk about why a wireless interface would introduce audible changes to a digital source.

I don't need technical knowledge to listen to music.  I use my technical knowledge in order to buy and setup the most optimum reproduction system I can afford so that I can listen to the best sounding music.

What worries me is that this thread started with an assertion that wireless affects the music in a digital system.  Since I don't hear that in my systems, I am curious as to the reason others hear a difference.

MaxCast

« Reply #94 on: 13 Apr 2010, 05:31 pm »
You mean no one has made a wireless to digital converter for audiofiles?  Looks like a new product for someone to cash in on.   :wink:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #95 on: 13 Apr 2010, 05:33 pm »
Wayne can make one.  :eyebrows:

ebag4

« Reply #96 on: 13 Apr 2010, 05:40 pm »

Since I don't hear that in my systems, I am curious as to the reason others hear a difference.

If you already know that YOU don't hear a difference in YOUR system then why worry about it?  Just listen to music and be happy. :thumb:

Best,
Ed

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #97 on: 13 Apr 2010, 05:44 pm »
For the record, I stream wirelessly for convenience.

But one difference between wired and wireless connections alluded to above is that streaming wirelessly introduces an additional component in the  device (the wireless receiver), that if turned on/off, could affect what's going on in the box.

Not saying that it does, just that it could.

lcrim

« Reply #98 on: 13 Apr 2010, 06:06 pm »
I said that it does make a difference to shut off the wireless card in the SB3 and use the wired ethernet card for streaming.  The effect can not only be heard but can also be measured.  The power supply for the wireless card when on, causes a measurable ripple effect on the rail.  I stand by that statement.
The Touch is by first reports, a different creature. 
BTW, not just the wireless card but everything affects the quality of playback.

MaxCast

« Reply #99 on: 13 Apr 2010, 08:15 pm »
How does one turn off the wireless in a SB 3?