Sold Both Of My Duets And I Am Very Happy!!

sts9fan

Re: Sold Both Of My Duets And I Am Very Happy!!
« Reply #60 on: 5 Apr 2010, 04:12 pm »
I already have a Nokia 770 that functions fairly well for this, though.

Not even close.  I had a N800 which I am sure was faster then 770 and it was SLOW.  The ipod(I use the phone) with Squeemote is in a different leauge. 

ctviggen

« Reply #61 on: 5 Apr 2010, 04:24 pm »
Not even close.  I had a N800 which I am sure was faster then 770 and it was SLOW.  The ipod(I use the phone) with Squeemote is in a different leauge.

I don't doubt that.  It's just convincing the wife to fork out more money for a device that's an interface to the SB, when I have something that works (even if not as well), is a tough proposition.  Especially if the only use for the Touch would be to run the SB software.

Now, perhaps there's a chance I could convince her to get an iPhone, but I'm not sure I can convince her to pay another $60/month for phone service and to switch our contract from Verizon to AT&T.  (I can't convince myself, so there's no way I'll convince her.) 

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #62 on: 5 Apr 2010, 06:07 pm »
Bob, you can find 2nd generation ipod touch's and even newer ones on Craigslist (my name is not craig)...I see them all the time pretty cheap, if its just to control a Squeezebox you might want to check there. These little puppies come in handy...its off topic but I personally think the ipod touch/phone is the coolest gadget ever made so far in my time!! I do remember phones with dials and cords, my first cable box was connected to a 20 ft. cord and was about a foot long and I thought that was "LIVIN"!!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #63 on: 5 Apr 2010, 07:32 pm »
Since you brought it up, I have been seeing iPod Touch listed on ebay as being "1st gen", and "2nd gen"......etc.....
Is there one to specifically look for, or stay away from?

I was going to apologize for the OT, but since the thread is about dissatisfaction with SB products, all this discussion of iPod stuff would ultimately help both companies, Logitech and Apple. Seems to be right on track.

Bob

p.b. Oh, buy the way eclein, I remember before the tv remote had a cord on it.
It was back in the day when Mom and Dad called the remote "Bob".
"Bob, get up and change the channel......go over and turn the volume up.......turn off the TV Bob.......Bob, move the antenna a little to the right, no left, no back, no wait put it back where it was......".
Yea.....I was the damn remote.  :lol:

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #64 on: 5 Apr 2010, 07:43 pm »
Bob...got a big smile from "Bob remote". :eyebrows:
The 1st gen, ipod touch lacked hardware volume control-little rocker thingy on the side. The 2nd gen and forward have it and if you use the ipeng software to control your SB the volume rocker will turn the volume up or down as it would on any ipod. The ipeng software on the ipod touch lets you raise volume up or down via squeezebox server software on your computer.
 I have a 2nd gen. touch 8GB and it works fine, easy to setup.  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #65 on: 5 Apr 2010, 07:54 pm »
Excellent!!
Thank you very much.  :thumb:
Time to scour Ebay/Craigslist.

Bob

MaxCast

« Reply #66 on: 5 Apr 2010, 08:39 pm »
Bob, you can find 2nd generation ipod touch's and even newer ones on Craigslist (my name is not craig)...I see them all the time pretty cheap, if its just to control a Squeezebox you might want to check there. These little puppies come in handy...its off topic but I personally think the ipod touch/phone is the coolest gadget ever made so far in my time!! I do remember phones with dials and cords, my first cable box was connected to a 20 ft. cord and was about a foot long and I thought that was "LIVIN"!!

I agree with that.  The touch is really cool.  After you sit and pick a few songs you can play a game or post on AC.
If you get one, hide it from the kids.
I am also interested in the add on IR device to control your tv, receiver, etc.  $50 tho  :?
Used touchs hold their value.  I see referbs at apple for $169 shipped (2gen 8gig).  I bought mine right here used/new for $150.  Best 150 I spent in a long time.   :thumb:

also you can text your friends and for a few bucks you can use it as a cell phone.  The drawback being you have to have internet connection.

TrungT

« Reply #67 on: 5 Apr 2010, 08:42 pm »
Bob
Look like Amazon offer the older Ipod touch too.
http://www.amazon.com/iPod-touch-Electronics/b/ref=amb_link_1472472_4?ie=UTF8&node=677799011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=1YHEKQY5SX1ADZCT5ERV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=472225671&pf_rd_i=13660271
The latest touch is good price at Amazon if you don't want to deal with the bay or the craigs.
 :wink:

firedog

« Reply #68 on: 6 Apr 2010, 05:34 am »
Bob,

Take a look through this thread. It might have something that should work with your son's PSP.

For those of you with wireless networking problems with the DUET, you might try rotating the case 90 degrees. The wireless antennas internal to the DUET are oriented horizontally. You might be able to obtain better reception if they were turned vertically. Just turn the case on it's side to see if that might help.

I do offer an external antenna mod for the DUET.

I'm sure Wayne's antenna mod helps if your reception is bad.

With other networking issues, my experience is that many can be solved with this method:

1. Give Controller, receiver, and server each a unique permanent IP on your network.
2. Match respective MAC address of each device to it's unique IP.

This seems to solve any problems the devices have finding and  locking onto each other, and also seems to prevent many other reception problems due to the components losing connection, even if it is only very brief loss of connection.
« Last Edit: 6 Apr 2010, 09:55 pm by firedog »

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #69 on: 6 Apr 2010, 01:44 pm »
My connectivity issues seemed to center around the remote and not the receiver base.  Am I correct that the remote talks to the receiver "through" the router?  I think this is what I remember and if so a better receiver antennae would probably not have helped the situation. 

I do regret that the system did not work for me and for so many others and I REALLY lust after that iTouch/iPeng remote GUI.  It looks really slick.  Maybe I will try it for the touch.

What is the difference between iPeng and Squeemote?  They look very similar.

Cheers,

James

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #70 on: 6 Apr 2010, 08:30 pm »
  Am I correct that the remote talks to the receiver "through" the router?  I think this is what I remember and if so a better receiver antennae would probably not have helped the situation. 
Good question. I'm curious as well.

Bob

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #71 on: 6 Apr 2010, 08:41 pm »
I think thats correct, I know in my case my ipod wirelessly connects through my wireless router to the server software on my laptop where all my music is stored, did I miss anything....hahaha.
If your talking about the specific Duet controller I am not sure, but would think it would have to as it is not hard wired to anything.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, wouldn't want to steer you wrong!!!  :duh:

firedog

« Reply #72 on: 6 Apr 2010, 09:58 pm »
Good question. I'm curious as well.

Bob
That's correct, unless you have it setup in "bridged" mode (no router/network), where it sets up the receiver as a sort of relay to the controller, sort of a self-contained network just for the Duet.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #73 on: 6 Apr 2010, 10:02 pm »
Hey while we're here, does anybody know of any software/skins or whatever that makes SB server better looking???

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #74 on: 6 Apr 2010, 10:27 pm »
eclein, There's a HUGE list of skins on the Logitech forum Squeeze Center server listy thingy. Been a long time since I've seen it, so I can't recall where it's at.

Firedog, ok cool. Thanks for that.

Bob

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #75 on: 6 Apr 2010, 10:47 pm »
Thanks BOB!! It all looks very complicated....haha...I'm starting to like the bland look now!!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #76 on: 6 Apr 2010, 10:53 pm »
Yip. Bingo.
That's why I kept the default skin. Less crap to go wrong, especially since most skins (at least the cool ones) are third party. The software was buggy enough without introducing more "spice" to the mix.

Bob

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #77 on: 7 Apr 2010, 02:33 am »
Well, I just called Logitech "customer service" to find out if the Touch can be used independent from a computer.  After getting some lady in another country that spoke very broken English I was put on hold several times for her to consult with someone.  Possibly a computer screen or someone else nearby?  It was frustrating but she did finally confirm that the unit will work just by plugging in a usb drive.  That is great news and definitely lowers the cost to stream! In fact, I do not know why you would need a computer now.  Anyone have a reason to use a computer?

Cheers,

James

Steidl Guitars

« Reply #78 on: 7 Apr 2010, 07:11 pm »
she did finally confirm that the unit will work just by plugging in a usb drive. 

That's correct.  The Touch runs a stripped down version of Squeezebox Server. 

I do not know why you would need a computer now.  Anyone have a reason to use a computer?

There are a few situations where having a separate PC or server would be better (or even necessary).  It is all explained well in the most recent release notes:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Release_Notes

Wayne1

« Reply #79 on: 9 Apr 2010, 05:42 pm »
It was frustrating but she did finally confirm that the unit will work just by plugging in a usb drive.  That is great news and definitely lowers the cost to stream! In fact, I do not know why you would need a computer now.  Anyone have a reason to use a computer?

Cheers,

James

Here is some information about using the Touch with an USB drive plugged directly into it. This comes from John Swenson, who was a beta-tester

"I've used the USB input extensively, but I haven't actually tried the SD card. Ive run both USB "sticks" and USB drives, they work well. But realize that with a hard drive you are back in the situation of having a spinning drive which can make some physical sound in your listening environment. For me one of the big advantages of the SB system is having the hard drive off in another room.

There is a very slight degradation of sound quality when using a drive plugged into the USB port, probably due to extra electrical noise on the power supply. I have not done extensive testing between external powered VS bus powered drives to see if that makes any difference.

Yep, both the analog out and digital out are much better than from an SB3 or Duet. I personally like the analog out better than the Transporter, but I don't have a Transporter to do a digital out comparison.
"