Sold Both Of My Duets And I Am Very Happy!!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Sold Both Of My Duets And I Am Very Happy!!
« Reply #40 on: 4 Apr 2010, 03:34 pm »
Bob...Check to make sure ipods can do FLAC, I don't recall off hand??  An ipod touch (there's that "i" thing again) with ipeng in my opinion is far superior than the logitech controller, its a far bigger screen and its a simple touch on the track you want and wholla--Music!! It takes kicking back, lounging, and couch potato-"I"ng to a whole new level!!
 Regarding your car and ipod, I just connect my ipod via its headphone jack to my car stereo and give it to the kids in the back seat to pass around and pick tunes, play games, watch a movie all via cars stereo system. If no kids are available I'll rent mine out or you can just get an "i"pod dock for your car.  :thumb: :thumb: Take it with you when you go into your house and have it play your squeezebox tunes. I'm not super tech savy and it was easy for me....
Have a great Easter!!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #41 on: 4 Apr 2010, 03:40 pm »
Thanks eclein, but "i" don't have an input jack on the car stereo.  :scratch:
I did a quick search on ebay and discovered there's a cheap FM transmitter available for the iStuff. But the sound quality?????? Good point about the FLAC compatibility question. I'll have to check that out. That would be a dealer breaker for me.

Thanks!
Bob

p.s. Sorry if this is getting off topic.  :oops:

firedog

Re: using iPod touch as controller
« Reply #42 on: 4 Apr 2010, 04:00 pm »
Using an iPod Touch instead of a Duet controller: the Apple unit just acts as a relay/interface (like the controller); it doesn't play the files, so the file format doesn't matter. The file is being played by SS software and the receiver.

You can get an iPod Touch for less than a controller, so money isn't a factor.

One downside to using the Touch instead of a controller: initial setup of the receiver requires the controller - you can't do it with the Touch. The only way to do the initial setup of the receiver w/out the controller is thru an SS app/plugin  that lets you "hack" the controller using command line functions over telnet. If your are comfortable with that, then it isn't a problem.

sts9fan

« Reply #43 on: 4 Apr 2010, 04:17 pm »
iPods do not play FLAC but then niether does the controler.

srb

« Reply #44 on: 4 Apr 2010, 04:19 pm »
Good point about the FLAC compatibility question. I'll have to check that out. That would be a dealer breaker for me.
The iPod does not natively support FLAC.  Although there is an application called Rockbox that can play FLAC files on an iPod (essentially another operating system that is installed on an iPod), it does not currently support the iPod Touch.

Thanks eclein, but "i" don't have an input jack on the car stereo.  :scratch:
I did a quick search on ebay and discovered there's a cheap FM transmitter available for the iStuff. But the sound quality??????

I have been using a DLO TransDock FM transmitter for a number of years.  Although it and the Belkin TuneBase work pretty well, there are the following caveats:

1. While it may work OK in town, they are terrible for traveling, because as you get out of range of the "unused" FM frequency you were using, you will need to constantly find a new "unused" frequency to set both your FM radio and dock to.

2. There is occasional interference, although it does work very well in locating older VW bugs with non-suppressor type spark plug wires.

If you have an "older" car with a cassette player, the old cassette audio adapter (a cassette with a 1/8" stereo jack dongle) is the next best thing to having a jack on the car stereo.

Steve

skunark

« Reply #45 on: 4 Apr 2010, 10:01 pm »
If your car stereo has cd changer controls there are lots of options that are pretty inexpensive.    I took about $100 to connect up to my factory car stereo and I can select a playlist and change songs using the factory controls on the steering wheel if it doesn't match my road rage.

mchuckp

« Reply #46 on: 5 Apr 2010, 12:46 am »
Just curious if most people in this thread are using a dedicated DAC or the DAC that is in the SB? 

I attempted to use a Duet without a DAC and found it pretty sub-par in SQ.  I never used my Duet because it wasn't close enough in sound to my Oppo 983 SE and couldn't make myself turn it on.  Not saying it SHOULD sound that good, but I had hoped it was close enough that my anal ears could use it. 

I'm DAC shopping now to replace my PS Audio DLIII DAC in hopes of getting just as good or better SQ than my Oppo 983 SE to mate with the upcoming Touch.

firedog

« Reply #47 on: 5 Apr 2010, 08:40 am »
Again, some of you aren't getting the point about iPod Touchas a remote/controller for SqueezeBox.

You can use the iPod Touch/iPhone as a Squeeze Box controller/remote with the iPeng plug in.

You can then play any file format that plays on the SB system this way, because the Apple device is just functioning as the interface, it isn't "playing" the music. Just as when you control Squeezeboxes through the browser interface from a PC that doesn't contain your music files, the browser interface isn't "playing" the music, it's just the interface.

firedog

« Reply #48 on: 5 Apr 2010, 08:43 am »
Just curious if most people in this thread are using a dedicated DAC or the DAC that is in the SB? 

I attempted to use a Duet without a DAC and found it pretty sub-par in SQ.  I never used my Duet because it wasn't close enough in sound to my Oppo 983 SE and couldn't make myself turn it on.  Not saying it SHOULD sound that good, but I had hoped it was close enough that my anal ears could use it. 

I'm DAC shopping now to replace my PS Audio DLIII DAC in hopes of getting just as good or better SQ than my Oppo 983 SE to mate with the upcoming Touch.

Hi-

I agree with you about the Duet, I've used it with external DACs, as its own analogue out is only "ok" sounding, but not good enough for me.

The beta testers of the Touch at the Slimdevices forum report that both the digital out and the DAC (analogue) sound of the Touch is much better than the previous SB devices, and is very close to the level of the Logitech Transporter. So if your only reason to replace the DAC is to use with the Touch, you might want to listen to the Touch first. If it still isn't up to the standard you are looking for, then add the DAC.
« Last Edit: 5 Apr 2010, 12:12 pm by firedog »

JDUBS

« Reply #49 on: 5 Apr 2010, 12:46 pm »
iPods do not play FLAC but then niether does the controler.

Mine iPod played flac files.  Just install Rockbox.

-Jim

whanafi

« Reply #50 on: 5 Apr 2010, 12:52 pm »
There is no Rockbox for the iPod Touch.  It doesn't play FLAC.  It doesn't need to as a remote for the SB, but that has been pointed out already. 

The Sandisk Fuze plays FLAC.  Memory based player, so you are limited to capacity of 8Gb on board and whatever microSD card you add (have a 16Gb in mine)

nunhgrader

« Reply #51 on: 5 Apr 2010, 12:55 pm »
I thought about getting one. I started messing with the Creative X-Fi system (first gen) and I love it - sound quality is not hifi for sure but, great at streaming internet radio and my files on my computer.

Still may go for a Duet for the heck of it.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #52 on: 5 Apr 2010, 01:53 pm »
Just out of curiosity, will a PSP work for the SB3/Duet?

Bob

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #53 on: 5 Apr 2010, 02:00 pm »
PSP as in playstation portable?
 If so, I don't know, I haven't seen anything about PSP as a controller, it would be cool though if its possible-good question!!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #54 on: 5 Apr 2010, 02:08 pm »
Yip, you got it. The PlayStation Portable.
My son has one. I thought it was no more than a silly little gaming device (like a Nintendo DS/GameBoy) until the day I saw him walking through the house using it as a telephone.  :o

Bob

Wayne1

« Reply #55 on: 5 Apr 2010, 02:45 pm »
Bob,

Take a look through this thread. It might have something that should work with your son's PSP.

For those of you with wireless networking problems with the DUET, you might try rotating the case 90 degrees. The wireless antennas internal to the DUET are oriented horizontally. You might be able to obtain better reception if they were turned vertically. Just turn the case on it's side to see if that might help.

I do offer an external antenna mod for the DUET.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #56 on: 5 Apr 2010, 03:25 pm »
Thank you very much Wayne. Although the link within that thread reminded me the PSP isn't a touch screen. You've got to manuver the screen with the joystick thingy. Not as slick as the touch screen of an iPod.
Scratch that idea. The iPod isn't much more expensive.

Bob

ctviggen

« Reply #57 on: 5 Apr 2010, 03:58 pm »
Thank you very much Wayne. Although the link within that thread reminded me the PSP isn't a touch screen. You've got to manuver the screen with the joystick thingy. Not as slick as the touch screen of an iPod.
Scratch that idea. The iPod isn't much more expensive.

Bob

Bob, I think you mean the Touch, as the iPod doesn't have a wireless connection to anything and doesn't really have a slick interface, either.  (The interface is basically a wheel.) 

I'm even considering a Touch to use for controlling the SB.  I already have a Nokia 770 that functions fairly well for this, though.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #58 on: 5 Apr 2010, 04:04 pm »
Yea, you're correct.  :duh: I'm still new to the 'i' lingo.  :lol:

Bob

srb

« Reply #59 on: 5 Apr 2010, 04:08 pm »
You're both correct, as the lingo is "iPod xxx".

iPod Shuffle, iPod Nano, iPod Classic and iPod Touch.

Steve