Re: VR-33
« Reply #81 on: 14 Mar 2010, 02:10 pm »
sorry, rather then reading his full stories, please jump to
this link:-

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #82 on: 14 Mar 2010, 02:44 pm »
They are "Cable Elevators". I use them to keep all my cables off the ground. They are used on our power poles here in the States. The power cables sit on them at the top of the pole to keep the electric cable off the wooden pole.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #83 on: 14 Mar 2010, 03:20 pm »
Great looking system Darth.  The VR33s are not exactly small speakers....very impressive!

May the force be with you.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #84 on: 14 Mar 2010, 04:01 pm »
Thanks... They are much bigger than my VR-4jr's!! But they fit in very well with my large room. My room is 16'x24' w/cathedral ceilings.

mr_bill

« Reply #85 on: 14 Mar 2010, 05:34 pm »
Darth - what did you mean......'similiar to the YG configuration?'
Do we know what quality level the Scan Speak drivers are:  Revelator, other?
Have you heard other speakers beside the 4jr that you can compare with?
Thanks, these are very interesting!

It's an easy decision!! One hour on the phone with Albert, and I took the plunge!! Albert broke my speakers in for me and now that I've put another 100 hours they are really coming to life. He spared no expense on the drivers Scan Speak on mids and tweeter(similar to the YG config).

Peerless 10" woofer that is tight, fast and deep!! I watched 2012 movie on Blu Ray and I almost set off my house alarm!! The floor was shaking and it's cement!! The crossover is using top line mundorf caps, Analysis Plus cable. The sock cabinet looks awesome to me.. Don't need No stinking $7k paint job!! These speakers are built like a "Sherman Tank"!! 103lbs each!! I have heard very expensive speakers at the shows and these rank up there with speakers costing $15K or more.

My brother and Sister-In-Law came by Friday night. She is not a music person, but she even commented on how "Smooth" they were and that they had body(fuller that my VR-4jr's). She felt like she was at a concert with every song. My bro said this is the best sound he's ever heard!! So life like!! Like all of Alberts speakers (I've owned the VR-2, VR-4jr's and now the VR-33's) they sound great with all kinds of music. ECM type music, Trio jazz, classic rock, Prog rock, it all sounds awesome. It's delicate when they need to be and ballsy when they need to rock out!!

The VR-33's will be in my system for a very long time!! And at just over $4k(with shipping) these are a real steal.

I hope this helps,

Gary

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #86 on: 14 Mar 2010, 05:51 pm »
Thanks Guys,

The elevators we use here as well.
I was grown up with them.
But I mean the standing things on the outside of the VR 33.

Cor

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #87 on: 14 Mar 2010, 06:21 pm »
Sorry Cor, They are the Shakti Hallograph Soundfield Optimizer.

http://www.shakti-innovations.com/hallograph.htm

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #88 on: 14 Mar 2010, 06:27 pm »
Darth - what did you mean......'similiar to the YG configuration?'
Do we know what quality level the Scan Speak drivers are:  Revelator, other?
Have you heard other speakers beside the 4jr that you can compare with?
Thanks, these are very interesting!

Spoke to Albert at length about the speaker. They are Scan Speak mids(2/6" with tweeter positioned in between) & Scan Speak Tweeter. Call Albert for details

I have been to numerous audio shows (most recently 2009 RMAF) and I'm 51 years old and have heard a boat load of speakers.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #89 on: 14 Mar 2010, 08:02 pm »
Thanks again,

Interesting, I will read the info about shakti.

Cor

mfsoa

« Reply #90 on: 15 Mar 2010, 11:35 pm »
I'm not sayin' that these VR-33 pictures are photoshop illusions, but I'm wondering why, when one does a google search for them, is this thread the only thing that comes up?  No mention on Agon, AA etc. No press release info anywhere else?  I know the VS website is pretty far behind reality (no Unifield 1s or 2s) but you'd think that someone other than the 5-6 of us would be talking about then, no? The factory must not be too far into the "first 100" yet (I hope).

Darth - Can you please tell me, is there any phasey-ness that happens when you change your listening position vertically? I have recliners in my room and sure enough, I tend to recline when listening and I was hoping that there would be no issue dropping the ear several inches from "normal".

Apparently I might have buyers interested in my VAC amp and VR4JRs, which would put me two steps closer to the VR-33s. I'm also eyeing some Reference 3A Grand Veenas, used, at a local dealer. Haven't heard them yet but like the concept. And that's one thing that makes me nervous about the 33s - Can't hear 'em first (not doubting that you all love yours).

-Mike

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #91 on: 15 Mar 2010, 11:59 pm »
First off, I'm lucky to take a digital picture let alone photoshop!! I knew about these speakers way back at the 10/2009 RMAF. Even before that I had several conversations with Albert. He had been working on this speaker for about 3 years(I think that was the number). I then spoke at length with him at RMAF. He thought they would be ready shortly after the RMAF. Your best bet is to call Albert and get the low down like I did. He spent well over two hours explaining the speakers, the design, the drivers, the crossover and how he was able to get this speaker to throw a huge, deep & wide soundstage. It's breath taking. I played some DVD blu ray concerts and the soundstage was right on. Just like I was there. I was watching the No-Man DVD and it was truly amazing. I also played Al DiMeola live download and Gumbi Ortiz was deep into the soundstage behind Al playing the bongos. There is a 90 day trial period with these speakers. Mine lasted a week!! He's never getting these back. Also, I'm not affiliated with VSA at all. I just like his designs. I also don't change equipment at the drop of a hat like someone people on this site. I had my VR-4jr's ever since they came out. And they replace the VR-2's. I've had my amps for 6 years as well as my preamp. My turntable is 8 years old and my phono stage is 5 years old. This was an upgrade I couldn't pass up. Will you like the speakers?? I don't know. They are awesome in my set up. I don't recline when I'm listening. Only when I'm going to crash. Hope this helps.   

varsharun

« Reply #92 on: 16 Mar 2010, 06:35 pm »
Darth, seems like the VR-33 is a really impressive speaker and extraordinary considering the price. Have you had a chance to listen to the Unifields (2,3)? How do they compare?

Thanks,
Arun

First off, I'm lucky to take a digital picture let alone photoshop!! I knew about these speakers way back at the 10/2009 RMAF. Even before that I had several conversations with Albert. He had been working on this speaker for about 3 years(I think that was the number). I then spoke at length with him at RMAF. He thought they would be ready shortly after the RMAF. Your best bet is to call Albert and get the low down like I did. He spent well over two hours explaining the speakers, the design, the drivers, the crossover and how he was able to get this speaker to throw a huge, deep & wide soundstage. It's breath taking. I played some DVD blu ray concerts and the soundstage was right on. Just like I was there. I was watching the No-Man DVD and it was truly amazing. I also played Al DiMeola live download and Gumbi Ortiz was deep into the soundstage behind Al playing the bongos. There is a 90 day trial period with these speakers. Mine lasted a week!! He's never getting these back. Also, I'm not affiliated with VSA at all. I just like his designs. I also don't change equipment at the drop of a hat like someone people on this site. I had my VR-4jr's ever since they came out. And they replace the VR-2's. I've had my amps for 6 years as well as my preamp. My turntable is 8 years old and my phono stage is 5 years old. This was an upgrade I couldn't pass up. Will you like the speakers?? I don't know. They are awesome in my set up. I don't recline when I'm listening. Only when I'm going to crash. Hope this helps.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #93 on: 16 Mar 2010, 06:55 pm »
Arun, I heard the Unifields at last years RMAF. So I heard them in a show environment. Based on the size of the VR-33 (50" tall and they weigh 103lbs) and the fact that it uses a 10" rear firing woofer, my memory is that the VR-33 is more dynamic with a much fuller sound. But remember, I heard the Uni's about 6 months ago. That's a good question for Albert. The biggest difference to me was the $7k paint job on the Uni's??

theaudioanalyst

« Reply #94 on: 17 Mar 2010, 07:54 pm »
All,

My VR-33s (just in for review last Tuesday) are something VERY special. I have been a VR listener, owner, and lover, since the mid-1990s, as soon as I heard my first pair of VR-4s in southern Maryland. I got my first pair (Mk II's) in '97, and have had SOME version of the VR-4 up until mid-2007, when I fortunate enough to be able to move up to the AMAZING VR-5 Anniversary... And, as much I respect and am impressed with Albert's work, these are STOOPID good for $4500 (Intro price of $3750!!!!!)

Originally dubbed the Vortex VR-33, which calls to memory the mid 1980's Vortex Screens that were so favorably received, they are a remarkable design, in a throwback "sock" covered cabinet; both those “Screens” and the early VR-4s wore “socks.”

As you might guess, the remarkable woodworking required for the complex shapes, and the fine wood or piano type finish on most "furniture quality" loudspeaker cabinets can eat up a HUGE portion of the asking price, many times more than half of the actual price of the product. Well, here you are getting some MASSIVE bang for the buck… I am simply blown away by their soundstaging, imaging, and bass performance so far, and they don’t have 40 hours on them yet! I can’t wait until they have 400 or so “under their belts.’ Then I can make some judgments about their resolution and timbre, too. Keep in mind, they are meant to be positioned within 3 to 30 inches from the back wall (!!!) and listened to off axis.

Here are some images of the new sock covered “Vortex” VR-33 next to my VR-5 Anni's...

mcullinan

« Reply #95 on: 17 Mar 2010, 08:02 pm »
Whats under the sock? Just particle board?
M

theaudioanalyst

« Reply #96 on: 17 Mar 2010, 08:14 pm »
Sorry, I don't have the spikes under them yet; still fussing with placement.

And, no, both the top cap and that pliinth are a finished wood...but right now, I've forgotten what they told me it was. Sorry! I'll have to check with Albert and Damon and get back to you. More when I have it

mfsoa

« Reply #97 on: 17 Mar 2010, 11:08 pm »
Mike - PM me your email and I'll foreward some under-the-sock pics that were graciously sent to me.

-M

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #98 on: 17 Mar 2010, 11:47 pm »
That is what we call a 'sneak preview' :nono:

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #99 on: 18 Mar 2010, 12:07 am »
Hello Greg,

Thes pictures are realy great.
Now the VR 33 is beside the VR 5 we can imagine about the size.

Hope to read your opinion about the sound quality soon.
400 hours are done in a mean time so it can be an nice Eastern story?

Regards,

Cor