20 (95.2%)
VR-3
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

VR-33

mr_bill

Re: VR-33
« Reply #120 on: 25 Mar 2010, 05:55 pm »
Anyone had any news on the progress of the initial batch of  VR 33's.

Have sent emails but no repies yet.

I sent an email too a couple weeks ago and no reply.
Why have a contact form and email on your website if you have no intention of answering.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #121 on: 25 Mar 2010, 06:06 pm »
Anyone had any news on the progress of the initial batch of  VR 33's.

Have sent emails but no repies yet.

Everytime I called someone answered :scratch: Two times it was Albert himself. Calling is better than emailing. I have found this with numerous audio designers. Keep trying.. The VR-33's are very much worth the effort!! IMHO of course :thumb:

theaudioanalyst

« Reply #122 on: 25 Mar 2010, 06:41 pm »
Darth,

Your humble opinion is correct, in my opinion!

After several eveniings of listening now, I can say with confidence that I have heard nothing over the last 30 years that can touch them in terms of imaging, soundstaging, and BASS performance for anywhere NEAR their price. While their bass is not VR-5 Anniversary resolute or extended, it is UNBELIVABLE for a sub $10k loudspeaker They are remarkably resolute for the money, and my bet is that they get a tad better there by the time they get fully broken in.

The big surprise so far is how damn coherent they are! With a low mounted 10 inch woofer on the back cutting over at 80Hz, I would have suspected a more blatant disconnect with the high mounted MTM array on the front. But MAN does this configuration work! They just disappear in a seamless presentation of music.

After fussing with them and moving them closer to the wall (I started about 30 inches away), I have settled on a location that is just about 10 inches from the wall behind them. In that location, in my experience, there is NO WAY you are going to find a speaker that can outperform them at anywhere NEAR this price, PERIOD. In the catagories I have mentioned, they will EASILY best anything I’ve ever heard under about $10-$12k, as I have indicated. By putting the bulk of the money into the essentials (the drivers, crossovers, and design), and by choosing to fabricate a “no frills,” super-solid cabinet, the Maestro has found a way to do it yet again! The guy is a fricken’ Wizard, I swear! ;-D

Alex_G

« Reply #123 on: 25 Mar 2010, 08:00 pm »
Greg,

Were you able to check how the Channel Island 200W amps would sound with VR-33?  Since the 10” woofer driver is crossed over at 80Hz, would (2) CI 200W amps in bi-amp configuration improve the sound?

theaudioanalyst

« Reply #124 on: 25 Mar 2010, 08:04 pm »
Hell Alex,

I'm sorry to say that the Vortex VR-33 cannot be biwired, thereby nullifying the option to biamp...

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #125 on: 25 Mar 2010, 08:24 pm »
Hell Alex,

I'm sorry to say that the Vortex VR-33 cannot be biwired, thereby nullifying the option to biamp...

The VR-33's can be ordered with Bi-Wire. It's an option for $100.00. I had it done to my pair.

theaudioanalyst

« Reply #126 on: 25 Mar 2010, 08:38 pm »
Darth,

Interesting -- that isn't in any of the literature Albert sent along, nor did he or Damon mantion that option to me!

In that case, even without experiencing it, I would have to say YES. Over the last dozen years, I've not yet heard one biwireable VSR or VSA product that didn't benefit sonically from EITHER biwireing or biamping.

You may be interested in seeing my March 1998 piece on Biwireing or Biamping - http://www.soundstage.com/synergize/synergize031998.htm.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #127 on: 25 Mar 2010, 08:56 pm »
Greg, your avatar is eerily accurate right down to the gray hair...spooky. :lol:  Albert says that there is an upgraded version of the VR33, the VR35, which will sport some desirable things for the Ferrari crowd: improved drivers, exotic internal wiring, biwire posts in gold and even granite caps rather than wood.  For what no doubt would be a more accurate description, you best call Mr. Wizard himself.  I often get things less than 100% corrrect.  Hard to believe, I know. :wink:

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #128 on: 25 Mar 2010, 08:56 pm »
Darth,

Interesting -- that isn't in any of the literature Albert sent along, nor did he or Damon mantion that option to me!

In that case, even without experiencing it, I would have to say YES. Over the last dozen years, I've not yet heard one biwireable VSR or VSA product that didn't benefit sonically from EITHER biwireing or biamping.

You may be interested in seeing my March 1998 piece on Biwireing or Biamping - http://www.soundstage.com/synergize/synergize031998.htm.
Greg, it only came up because I had mentioned to Albert that I had to switch out speaker cables. That I had Bi-Wire cables and would have to change them out. Then he told me he could install the Bi-Wire posts for an extra $100.00.

Alex_G

« Reply #129 on: 25 Mar 2010, 09:48 pm »
Hell Alex,

My VR-4jr’s are bi-amped and I absolutely love the sheer dynamics and midrange clarity that I’m getting at the obscenely loud levels. For whatever reason, I was not able to tell the difference between my 7-channel Gemstone amp and Sim Audio Aurora. 

I’ve never heard CI Audio amps with Von Schweikert speakers and wander what sort of sonic signature I can expect?

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #130 on: 26 Mar 2010, 01:29 am »
I sent an email too a couple weeks ago and no reply.
Why have a contact form and email on your website if you have no intention of answering.

Dear all who are interested in the VR 33 and VR 35,

VSA is very bussy producing a large number of speakers at the moment.
The mailbox is very loaded with a lot of questions about the VR 33 & VR 35.
The telephone at VSA is ringing all the time.
Please be patient to get a answer by e-mail.
If you like to know about these magnificant speakers you can read Albert's posts here on AC

The VR 35 will soon be released in Munich, Germany at the High End Show in May.

Best regards,

Cor

Like to know more? Please send a message to:

cor@musicalreality.nl

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #131 on: 29 Mar 2010, 02:39 am »
Our company has never received the quantity of emails and phone calls that we are now receiving due to the interest in the Vortex VR-33.  We apologize that we are about one hundred emails behind, but will attempt to catch up in the next few days; in fact, we have worked the entire weekend to answer them.  Thanks for your patience and interest in our speakers!

For those who have VR-33's on order, the large production run we're building will be finished in about two weeks. In addition, we are hiring another assembly crew and will be running a double shift to take care of all the orders.
Thank you to all of our supporters that have made our company successful, we appreciate your patronage!

Happy Listening,
Albert Von Schweikert

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #132 on: 29 Mar 2010, 09:14 pm »
WOW!! I'm glad I bought mine when I did!!  :eyebrows:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #133 on: 30 Mar 2010, 12:40 am »
Congrats Albert. Sounds like you are as busy as you deserve to be. I'll hear the VR33 sooner or later :green:

kartracer

« Reply #134 on: 30 Mar 2010, 02:37 am »
I ordered my VR-33's 2 weeks ago.  I've had VR4-jrs for 3+ years, then picked up a pair of SRs about 2 years ago.  I could never get the SRs to sound to my liking: bass was weak and upper mirange was way too forward, sreechy even.  :scratch:

So I just sold the SRs and am holding onto the JRs till something beats them.  (Hopefully the 33s!)  We'll find out in a couple weeks.  :icon_lol:

MikeB.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #135 on: 30 Mar 2010, 10:49 am »
I ordered my VR-33's 2 weeks ago.  I've had VR4-jrs for 3+ years, then picked up a pair of SRs about 2 years ago.  I could never get the SRs to sound to my liking: bass was weak and upper mirange was way too forward, sreechy even.  :scratch:

So I just sold the SRs and am holding onto the JRs till something beats them.  (Hopefully the 33s!)  We'll find out in a couple weeks.  :icon_lol:

MikeB.
Mike, I've had the VR-4jr's for about 5 to 6 years. Just bought the VR-33's. I really like the jr's, but the 33's are in a completely different world! You won't be disappointed

Gary

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #136 on: 30 Mar 2010, 12:53 pm »

MikeB.

Your experience with the MKIIs is totally different than mine.  Although my VR5 Anniversaries better the MKIIs in every way, I thought the MKIIs were outstanding certainly compared to other speakers in their price range.

barkerpj

• PC -> Berkeley USB -> Berkeley DAC
« Reply #137 on: 5 Apr 2010, 09:36 pm »
Still waiting to see the VR-33 'cut in half' photos.

My VR-33's should be arriving by the end of the week - hopefully - so there should be a few folks getting theirs this week.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #138 on: 9 Apr 2010, 04:55 pm »
Hello Greg,

Any new yet after a few 100 hours?

Today I ordered for a beautyfull set of marble foot and topcaps for the VR 35 SE European version.

Must be very special looking.

Regards,

Cor

economides

« Reply #139 on: 10 Apr 2010, 10:29 pm »
Cor

I can't wait to hear the VR35s in Munich, will you have them???

Andrew