20 (95.2%)
VR-3
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

VR-33

JackD201

Re: VR-33
« Reply #160 on: 19 May 2010, 02:59 am »
Well the wife took the news of me ordering the Vr-33 better then I thought.( Waited until the check was cashed to tell her.) She had only one request, that I finally put together a surround sound system. I have a few questions regarding putting surround sound system together. Any suggestion for a center channel and subwofer that with work well with the VR-33. Will the sub need to face the front wall also to sound right? I'm going to use my old main speakers for rear channel (B&W CM-7) to save money if they blend well enough . The sub and center budget is $1500.

Hi Cgull,

I have a sneaking suspicion that if you set up your processor/receiver with L and R at Large and no sub, you'll get more than enough rumble action with the VR-33s. It's worth a try before you pull the trigger on a sub. I've found that VSA speakers normally go as low if not lower than the greater majority of 10" subs on the market.

Jack

CGull

« Reply #161 on: 26 May 2010, 12:06 am »
 I spoke to VSA today and the speakers will be shipped out Friday. I'll will try the advice and be using them without a sub when using them for surround sound for a few months.
 I've been two channel all my life so I have a few questions when I listen two them in a surround set-up. Will the low frequencies sound effects in movies damage the speakers? If so, too me a sub might be worth it. Next since no center channel is avalible I'm thinking of building my own using Scanspeak drivers. Does anyone know which ones will match the speakers. Last can the speakers be left wired to both amps if one is always off when the other is in use or is it safe to use plugs and switch wires every time

JackD201

« Reply #162 on: 26 May 2010, 12:28 am »
Not at all Cgull. It would take some serious amp clipping to damage speakers with power handling like that of the VR-33.

I'm not sure what drivers Albert used  :oops:

I'd switch cables instead of leaving them connected. You'd be sending signal to the other amp's output. A bit of a chore but one easily ameliorated by using bananas instead of spades and bare wire.

Cheers!

CGull

« Reply #163 on: 8 Jun 2010, 03:29 am »
Just checked my email. Christmas morning is here tomorrow, my VR-33 are being delivered. I'll post my impression tomorrow evening.

Saturn94

« Reply #164 on: 8 Jun 2010, 03:34 am »
In my quest to find a suitable replacement for my ADS L1290/2s I am looking for any Von Schweikert owners (I'm interesed in the VR33s) within a reasonable distance from me (I'm in southeast VA) that would be willing to let me audition them. :D

Thanks!

No one? :cry:

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #165 on: 8 Jun 2010, 01:29 pm »
Guys,

I am supposed to have a pair of VR33s here in a few weeks to audition.  I am in central Indiana and anyone within driving distance is welcome to hear them.  Please send references :wink:

varsharun

« Reply #166 on: 8 Jun 2010, 07:51 pm »
Upgrading your home theater Gavin? Will await your detailed comparison between the VR33 and the VR5 Annies  :)

-Arun

Guys,

I am supposed to have a pair of VR33s here in a few weeks to audition.  I am in central Indiana and anyone within driving distance is welcome to hear them.  Please send references :wink:

jab

• Esoteric Audio-Video
« Reply #167 on: 8 Jun 2010, 08:00 pm »
in fact, would luv to hear a comparison between the 5's and the VR35...Perhaps a new thread for Cor who has both!  Cor, if you pick this thread up,, what say you regarding the performance between the two?  thx jack

JackD201

« Reply #168 on: 8 Jun 2010, 08:05 pm »
Just talked to Cor over the phone a few hours ago. His opinion is that the 35s smack down the Jrs. I'm guessing they are of the same mold as the Gen III HSE.

Cor?

What say ye?

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #169 on: 8 Jun 2010, 11:36 pm »
Hello all,

Now that I have the first VR 35 SE for a few days in our studio I can make a real conclusion.

I took the VR 35 SE to Munich, Germany as a World Primer, but it came in as a really last minute.
So I had no time to listen seriously. I received a lot of compliments at the show in Munich.
Not only about the looks but often about the Sound-quality. We had a booth in the open space of nearly 10.000 m2.

When I was ready building up and tuning the system late at night in quietness there was something special.

The guard, who was hired to watch over our gear in the hall during the night came nearby because he heard the Steinway piano playing which was located in the same hall supporting a live concert in a booth nearby for the next days. When he came closer he saw there was no one touching this grand piano.

Than he came to me and heard the piano music played by...... the VR 35 SE.

Wow he said, you scared me. I thought there was someone playing the piano for real !
I only could say to this man,  you just gave the speakers a big compliment.

Now after e few weeks of breaking in I can say the Vortex VR 35 SE is really making music.
I never met a speaker making that music for this price.

See and hear for your self.

Our Stone Company never have made so many pieces for VSA speakers since last month.

How come?

Enjoy.

Cor

CGull

« Reply #170 on: 8 Jun 2010, 11:50 pm »
The speakers arrived at 9:30 today and set up was very simple just attach the bottom and spikes took 15 minutes.
 I placed the speakers where I had my old ones because I still had worries that a speaker could sound not only good but better close to the wall. I was wrong. My old speakers where 22 inches from the wall and when I played the VR-33 for 15 min, I liked them there was no bass with slam. So I moved them to 9 inches from the wall. All I can say is it was magic. The bass was tight, quick with no boom. I played with moving them in and out for 30 min and I settled at 6 inches. The speaker’s bass never changes in tone it stayed tight and fast with slam and no boom. The movement is best described as a volume control the closer to the wall the louder the bass and away softer.
 I was shocked how simple the set up. No toe in, no measuring, no using a string to get the tweeter right.
 The sound stage is just huge wide and deep. The first track I listen to once bass output was set was Robbie Williams Angel’s. In the beginning the bells where so far to the left and out in the room it was haunting!! At first I looked to see if my daughter was messing with me and ringing some bells.
 The tweeters did seem a little laid back at first but after an hour I realized I was just so use to the metal domes tweeters being bright. My ears never got fatigued as with my old speakers. I would turn the volume down or change tracks tons. I can hear details I never did before. It’s amazing you just focus on the music.
  My first pair of speakers (ADS-1290) I ever bought I kept for 20 years. I changed speakers (B&W CM-7) 5 years ago because I thought it was time with all the new technology. I never got the results in my home with the B&W that was to my liking and I have searched for several years for something I could afford to replace them. I ordered the VR-33’s for 3 reasons: I liked other VSA speakers I heard but they where out of my price range, all I was just risking was my time and not large amounts of money with their 90 day home trial, and if the speakers really worked close to the wall I would have a very happy wife.
Simply put, I’m just shocked how well the speakers sound for not for the price, but period. These are game changing speakers how well they sound and where in the room they can be placed. Albert is a genius and made a speaker people have wanted for years.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #171 on: 9 Jun 2010, 01:33 am »
Upgrading your home theater Gavin? Will await your detailed comparison between the VR33 and the VR5 Annies  :)

-Arun

Hi Arun,

They will be going in my HT and not my 2ch system.  I've worked so hard at dialing in my Annies with subs and don't want to mess with the setup....so the VR33s will be in the HT room temporarily replacing a pr. of ML Aerius i's.  It should be an ideal setup for the 33s since they like it close to the front wall.  I will let everyone know my impressions when I get them installed.

KLH007

« Reply #172 on: 17 Jun 2010, 03:04 pm »
Gavin, Any VR-33 impressions yet?

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #173 on: 17 Jun 2010, 08:42 pm »
I don't have them yet :cry:

Saturn94

« Reply #174 on: 3 Jul 2010, 04:16 pm »
I'm still hoping to find a VR-33 owner within a reasonable drive from me (I'm in southeast VA) that can offer an audition.

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide. :)

mfsoa

« Reply #175 on: 3 Jul 2010, 04:50 pm »
Or in the NY/NJ/PA area   :eyebrows:

-Mike

Jumpin

« Reply #176 on: 28 Jul 2010, 01:26 pm »
Been a little quiet here.  Any updates on sound/reviews as these are breaking in?

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #177 on: 28 Jul 2010, 03:29 pm »
Funny that you should ask. Two fellow circlers were here yesterday for a 3 man rave...the VR33s driven by SAS amplification. The two who joined me were Bernie Sill and Steve Sammit, Steve the owner of SAS audio. He brought his 11A preamp and his 50WPU monoblocks both tube based. The VR33s really came alive with the upgraded amps. I had been driving them with a $250 Denon AVR which, by the way, sounded much better than it had a right to. But with the SAS electronics, it was at a different level. I will try and capture my thoughts as well as Bernie and Steve's and post in the next few days. The VR33 is one terrific speaker for the $$.

turkey

« Reply #178 on: 6 Aug 2010, 03:02 pm »
  The tuning alignment is a hybrid, consisting of a bass reflex port for pressure release at 25Hz combined with a high stuffing density to create a 6th order Chebychev alignment. The transient response of this alignment is as fast as the sealed 6" bass-mid drivers, so integration is nearly perfect. 

If the woofer is as "fast" as the bass-mid drivers, why do you need bass-mid drivers?

JackD201

« Reply #179 on: 6 Aug 2010, 05:04 pm »
I'll take a stab at this if you don't mind Turkey. It's because the 10" woofer's optimal frequency performance range is below that of midbass drivers. Although it could be done, my guess is that without the midbass drivers there would be a suck out in pitch definition as well as punch in their range. I'd put that at a lower limit of 100Hz to 80Hz. Probably the upper limit for a 10" woofer as well. Fortunately this is also the area where bass begins to be more omnidirectional in propagation allowing the woofer to be placed in the rear.