Total Members Voted: 21

VR-33

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
Re: VR-33
« Reply #140 on: 10 Apr 2010, 10:56 pm »
Hello Economides,

The first VR 35 is ready to be send out.

If trucks don't roll off the road and the plane does not fall out of the air, they will be present in Munich.

Next week I will send out a press release.

Albert told me proudly the VR 35 is a very special speaker.

Can't wait to have them in Europe.

See you in Munich.

Cor

barkerpj

• PC -> Berkeley USB -> Berkeley DAC
« Reply #141 on: 12 Apr 2010, 07:21 pm »
Just received my VR-33's and I'm impressed - straight out of the box they sound great.

Had to use some dacron stuffing in the ports to lessen the bass as the room they are in is too small (13x12x8).

Will be moving in early July so they 'll have a much bigger room to shine in.

Looking forward to playing around with positioning - currently about 6-7" from the wall.

How far away from the wall have other users been to get the best depth/image/soundtsaging?

More news soon.

kartracer

« Reply #142 on: 13 Apr 2010, 08:52 pm »
Mine will be arriving tomorrow.   :green:

I'll let you all know my out of the box impressions.  They'll probably be about 2~3 feet from my back wall due to equipment rack position between the speakers, but I will certainly adjust them as necessary.  Gonna be away most of the weekend, so I can have them cranking to break them (partially) in.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #143 on: 13 Apr 2010, 09:48 pm »
Just received my VR-33's and I'm impressed - straight out of the box they sound great.

Had to use some dacron stuffing in the ports to lessen the bass as the room they are in is too small (13x12x8).

Will be moving in early July so they 'll have a much bigger room to shine in.

Looking forward to playing around with positioning - currently about 6-7" from the wall.

How far away from the wall have other users been to get the best depth/image/soundtsaging?

More news soon.
I hope you enjoy your's as much as I'm enjoying mine!!  :thumb: I have my pair one foot (12") from the back wall.

Tan Daniel

« Reply #144 on: 14 Apr 2010, 03:52 am »
I get good bass response with 9" from the wall. Just lovely and enjoying it.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #145 on: 14 Apr 2010, 06:20 am »
Dear all VR 33 (& 35) lovers,

The result will always be different in any room due to the roomacoustics.
Wall-,floor- and cielingmaterials are the base of the result.

Just move around and stuff more or less of dacron.
We use sheepwool since this sounds very natural. :wink:

Have fun.

Cor

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #146 on: 15 Apr 2010, 09:51 pm »
Here is a photo of the VR-33 showing the interior of the cabinet.  You can easily see how this ends up weighing 103 lbs per side! The cabinet is extremely solid, like a block of hardwood rather than a hollow box. That is why our customers are describing the sound as "neutral and uncolored."

No other speaker in this price range has this level of cabinet solidity or parts quality. If you are looking at beautiful cabinetry on a competing speaker in this price range, you are spending most of your money on wood veneer and getting inexpensive Chinese drivers and flimsy build quality. If you rap your knuckles on "their" cabinet and hear a hollow resonance like a guitar, that speaker is going to sound very colored, while our VR-33 is going to sound "solid" with no resonance or coloration.

Please note that the internal shelf bracing has been cut away to show the interior of the cabinet and drivers, so you don't see the full shelves in the photo.  The bracing is 1" thick and are solid shelves with holes cut in certain areas for air flow. Although this is not a labyrinth type of transmission line, it sounds like one - the bass is extremely tight and deep.  The tuning alignment is a hybrid, consisting of a bass reflex port for pressure release at 25Hz combined with a high stuffing density to create a 6th order Chebychev alignment. The transient response of this alignment is as fast as the sealed 6" bass-mid drivers, so integration is nearly perfect. 

If you look at the front of the baffle, you will see that the twin 6" bass-mids and the silk dome tweeter are completely surrounded by thick acoustic foam to absorb the reflections from the baffle. This enables the VR-33 and VR-35 to have a three-dimensional image and sound stage that one customer said was "as large as the Grand Canyon."  In fact, most of the beta testers told us that "no other speaker system in their experience had this type of depth and image size, regardless of price."  Be looking for an upcoming review wherein the reviewer states that "no other speaker he has heard for less than $10,000 can touch the VR-33."

Please note that the VR-33 and VR-35 are both available in a variety of different grill cloth colors and trim pieces, so please contact us if you need something special for your room.

If you live in Europe and wish to purchase the VR-35 Export Edition version, contact Cor Dekker at Musical Reality at <musicalreality@gmail.com>.  If you live in Asia and wish to order the VR-35 Export Edition, please contact us for a list of Asian Distributors- we have AudioLine in Singapore and Mr. Tan in Malaysia, along with Komfortsound in Thailand.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #147 on: 15 Apr 2010, 10:09 pm »
Albert, that's awesome.. Thanks for the view. It is built like a tank!!

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #148 on: 16 Apr 2010, 01:03 pm »
Great Story Albert,

Thanks for the post.

Hope the Iceland Ash will leave the atmosphere soon enough to let planes fly again bringing the first VR 35's in time to Europe.

As seen on the picture WGH has visit VSA with his tools. :thumb:

Have a nice weekend.

Cor

barkerpj

« Reply #149 on: 26 Apr 2010, 11:08 pm »
Have just sold my amp (upgraditis) and was wondering what other VR-33 users were currently using successfully.

Have an urge to get some tubes but not sure how much power would be needed for the wonderful VR-33's

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #150 on: 26 Apr 2010, 11:34 pm »
Have just sold my amp (upgraditis) and was wondering what other VR-33 users were currently using successfully.

Have an urge to get some tubes but not sure how much power would be needed for the wonderful VR-33's

Jolida JD3000 200 watt mono's based on the 211 power tube. They are awesome with my VR-33's! That of course is MHO!

CGull

« Reply #151 on: 6 May 2010, 01:12 am »
 I ordered my VR-33 on Monday. I was amazed that Albert called me and spoke at lenght about this speaker. Very refreshing to see a speaker company commit such time and effort so the common man raising a family can afford audiophile speakers.
 My question is should I call and have the speakers build with two sets of connections? If anyone who has the speakers bi wired has it made a difference? Mine will be powered with a Krell 300i and Audioquest Type 4 cables by chance anyone is using this combination.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #152 on: 6 May 2010, 01:20 am »
Hi CGull,

Does not matter so much about the VR 33.
If you have a nice bi-wire cable you can order for a biwire binding post.

If you have a monowire, just order for the mono-wire posts.

The music will be nearly the same.

Have fun, from Munich,

Cor

Gopher

« Reply #153 on: 6 May 2010, 01:35 am »
I am intrigued by these speakers.  They seem like they would be perfect for my condo and tastes (though I'd have to change amplifiers).  To be able to get them closer to the wall would be terrific. 

My biggest fear is that they would become super expensive scratch posts with two cats.

I sold my Magnepans and replaced with Cain and Cain Abbys prior to adopting cats for this reason...

Is there anywhere in New York (Long Island/NYC) that one could hear them in action?

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #154 on: 6 May 2010, 03:11 am »
I am intrigued by these speakers.  They seem like they would be perfect for my condo and tastes (though I'd have to change amplifiers).  To be able to get them closer to the wall would be terrific. 

My biggest fear is that they would become super expensive scratch posts with two cats.

I sold my Magnepans and replaced with Cain and Cain Abbys prior to adopting cats for this reason...

Is there anywhere in New York (Long Island/NYC) that one could hear them in action?

Good time to get rid of the cats!! :thumb:

Antoine

« Reply #155 on: 6 May 2010, 07:29 pm »
Hi Gopher, I can tell from firsthand experience that cats like the cloth of the VSA's even better than their own scratch poles. At least mine do! :cry: I've had to let the rubber surroundings of the bass woofers of my VR4 GenIII HSE's be replaced because the cat's nails had created huge tears en smaller leaks in them hurting sound quality. Luckily the kevlar wasn't damaged. My speakers are now without their socks and in this state my cats have luckily lost their interest in them completely so until I can buy VR4 SR's or VR5's they'll stay this way. From a 10' distance in the dark they're not even that ugly this way!  :wink: On the bright side I was able to remove some dacron after removing the socks to give me a fuller bass.  :D

Conclusion: if you have cats don't go for speakers in socks!  :thumb:

barkerpj

« Reply #156 on: 6 May 2010, 07:52 pm »
Luckily my cats haven't taken any interest in the VR-33 socks apart from leaving their scent.

I think the sound puts them off.

I'd like to get a pair of grey socks so I have a spare set just in case

varsharun

« Reply #157 on: 6 May 2010, 10:51 pm »
Good time to get rid of the cats!! :thumb:

Or just let the cats have one on one time with Albert. His enthusiastic spirit will turn them into *audiofelines*  :D

-Arun

CGull

« Reply #158 on: 17 May 2010, 12:31 am »
 Well the wife took the news of me ordering the Vr-33 better then I thought.( Waited until the check was cashed to tell her.) She had only one request, that I finally put together a surround sound system. I have a few questions regarding putting surround sound system together. Any suggestion for a center channel and subwofer that with work well with the VR-33. Will the sub need to face the front wall also to sound right? I'm going to use my old main speakers for rear channel (B&W CM-7) to save money if they blend well enough . The sub and center budget is $1500.

Saturn94

« Reply #159 on: 19 May 2010, 02:44 am »
In my quest to find a suitable replacement for my ADS L1290/2s I am looking for any Von Schweikert owners (I'm interesed in the VR33s) within a reasonable distance from me (I'm in southeast VA) that would be willing to let me audition them. :D

Thanks!