Tube Pre-amp for my Solid State Amp, suggestions?

JakeJ

Re: Tube Pre-amp for my Solid State Amp, suggestions?
« Reply #60 on: 20 Feb 2010, 05:33 am »
Yes it is.  :thumb:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #61 on: 20 Feb 2010, 02:09 pm »
This is a classic:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Counterpoint-SA-5-1-Tube-PreAmplifier-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ320488775537QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item4a9e9e9f71

In black or silver!

I have one and I like it.  This one should go up to $1,200-1,500.

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #62 on: 20 Feb 2010, 04:24 pm »
Thanks REX, I will be watching this one. It already has a lot of interest , 18 bids.

Jake: Would you comment on your pre? In respect to a tube pre. I have been   :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:   over the VR1!  Have  you heard the VR1? In your opinion is it as good as the reviews say?   I would love to audition it in my system but  $8000 new whewwwwwwwwwww.

Harrison

JakeJ

« Reply #63 on: 20 Feb 2010, 06:13 pm »
Hi Harrison,

I'd be happy to.

First a bit of history, I purchased this preamp from Echo Audio for $650 in late 2007.  I used it for about seven or eight months then I stumbled across Steve McCormack's website SMc Audio and the description for the upgrades available.  Please go to the website and look at the pdf file for an accurate accounting of the two levels of upgrade.  I opened a line of communication with Steve about the upgrades and decided on the the "A" version.  About half way through the process Steve called me to tell me about the transformer addition and that this would place them in the input path such that all inputs pass through them before going on to the active stage.  This includes the passive portion so if you choose to go passive it is transformer coupled too.  This is the one thing my pre has in common with the new VRE-1.  The circuit topologies are completely different because Steve started with a blank piece of paper when he designed the VRE-1.

Now to the sound.  Before the upgrade the preamp sounded great it had speed, clarity, and a high degree of detail plus fantastic bass control.  At the time I was using my Dynaco/Curcio Mark III monoblocks and the preamp gave the system that extra little bit of control and tautness I wanted.  Over time I found there was just a bit of grain and that it had a slight etched dryness that solid-state can impart.  It wasn't bad just a bit annoying, so I went for the upgrade.

When I got it back the grain was gone as was the dryness.  Transparency was ten times better and I was happy.  Still am.  Then I stumbled across a pair of VAC PA-160 tube amps for a very reasonable price and convinced myself I had to have them.  The Dynas were 60 Watts and VACs are 80 to 160 Watts (depending on output tubes and mode of operation) so I figured I wouldn't run out of steam....ever!  I was right on that part but the sound quality was an order of magnitude better and resulted in a huge smile.  Then I got the itch to see what the synergy and sound quality of using a VAC preamp with my VAC amps would be like.  I researched and found that about the same time period my amps were in production VAC made a preamp that offered two levels of gain and passive buffered mode for the line stage and included an all-tube phono section that had three levels of gain with selectable resitance and capacitance loading to handle just about any cartridge made.  I waited and eventually found one and bought it.  Again I was rewarded with a big smile and my hypothesizing was vindicated.  I had the synergy and a yet another level of audio nirvana was achieved.  The VAC preamp has the air that tubes are so good at.  The McCormack as good as it sounds just didn't have that last bit of transparency and air around the instruments that the VAC gave me.

I decided to sell the McCormack simply because I have too much gear and wished to free up some cash to re-roof my house this summer.  Have a pair of Quads auctioning on the 'Gon right now as well.  Sorry for droning on about my upgrades but I felt it was needed for clarity.

Ultimately I'll say that having followed this thread since the beginning, read what you have posted, and as good as the McCormack is, I don't think it's what you are looking for.  I really feel you should try tubes in front of your SS amp and I'm confident you'll like it...a lot.  I have run tubed preamps into solid-state amps in a couple of different configurations over the years and always been very happy with the results.

I have never heard Counterpoint gear but while you are watching the auction go do some research and read some reviews on it.  Make as certain as you can it's what you feel you're after.  You have a myraid of choices and it's confusing to say the least but you are on the right track by asking lots of questions.  :thumb:

Cheers and chin up,
Jake

toobluvr

« Reply #64 on: 20 Feb 2010, 09:46 pm »

(big snip)
Ultimately I'll say that having followed this thread since the beginning, read what you have posted, and as good as the McCormack is, I don't think it's what you are looking for.  I really feel you should try tubes in front of your SS amp and I'm confident you'll like it...a lot. 

Now THAT'S an honest man!
Beers on me when you're next in town Jake!

:beer:     :thumb:

JakeJ

« Reply #65 on: 20 Feb 2010, 10:23 pm »
Thanks, John!  Hmmm...I owe you a beer, you owe me a beer.  If we keep this up were gonna have one helluva good time!  :wine: :rock: Plus I've never been to the Big Apple so that would just be a bonus.  :thumb:   I need to plan a vacation.  8)

Ericus Rex

« Reply #66 on: 23 Feb 2010, 01:17 pm »
Vulcan, did you see that Counterpoint sold for $1,850!?!?!?  That's just shy of its original, 1984 selling price!  Glad I bought one when I did...for far, far less.

Don't be fooled by the other one currently on ebay.  It was Counterpoint's entry level.  For some totally bizarre reason their numbering system went as follows from entry to flagship:  SA-7.1, SA-3.1, SA-5.1, SA-9/11.  The SA-7.1 is OK.  A little thin and bitey but not bad.  Don't bid more than $225 on it (though I fear it will go much higher...) if you're interested.  For a little more you can get a SA-3.1 for around $375 and it is a good bit better than the 7.1.

Best of luck!

JackD201

« Reply #67 on: 23 Feb 2010, 02:38 pm »
Currently I do not own a single preamp that does not have at least two tubes in it.

This is a sticky topic however because obviously tube pres can sound EXTREMELY different from one another. Somewhere out there is a preamp that will give you the flavor you want and that can be anything from a DHT based designs, to octal based, peanut tube based all the way up to any of the current trendy 6H30 based megabuck preamps. I'm not even going to mention the myriad circuit options or the fact that there ARE tube preamps out there that sound so much like solid state you wonder why they were even made.

Perhaps if you can describe what flavor it is you want to impart on your system via your tube pre, recommendations can be more easily made within a context more relevant to your own needs.

Vulcan00

« Reply #68 on: 23 Feb 2010, 06:11 pm »
Jack: Thanks for your suggestion to describe what type of flavor? Can I withhold replying right now until I can relate with more quantitative terms.

I am currently working on a way to audition two or three units in my system. Bill @ Response Audio has generously offered a couple of options. Hopefully in the not to distance future I will have a better understanding of the tube sound.

REX:  I have seen Ebay items sell for more that they are currently worth for whatever reason. I did not bid on the Counterpoint. Please continue keep me advised on any auctions you may see.

Harrison

pjchappy

« Reply #69 on: 23 Feb 2010, 06:27 pm »
You could use the Peachtree Nova as a stand-alone pre.  It has a single tube in the Class A pre-amp section.  The tube can be taken out of the circuit on the fly, for solid state performance.  You may prefer one over the other.  If you desire, you can also try out its highly regarded DAC, too.

Pre-amp details.

Nova reviews.

Paul

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #70 on: 24 Feb 2010, 07:39 pm »
Harrison -

Where in the country are you? I too am considering adding a tube pre to a SS amp, and have been following this thread.

If you can get a few tubey pre's, and are in the mid-Atlantic, would you mind sharing the experience?

Jack: Thanks for your suggestion to describe what type of flavor? Can I withhold replying right now until I can relate with more quantitative terms.

I am currently working on a way to audition two or three units in my system. Bill @ Response Audio has generously offered a couple of options. Hopefully in the not to distance future I will have a better understanding of the tube sound.

Harrison

Vulcan00

« Reply #71 on: 24 Feb 2010, 08:23 pm »
etcarrol:

I absolute would share or have a listening session. Here again is the problem for me I am in the Deep South, ALABAMA so distance is a problem.

shadowlight

« Reply #72 on: 24 Feb 2010, 08:29 pm »
Harrison -

Where in the country are you? I too am considering adding a tube pre to a SS amp, and have been following this thread.

If you can get a few tubey pre's, and are in the mid-Atlantic, would you mind sharing the experience?

If you want to listen to Response Audio Bellamax Extreme you know where I am.

mfsoa

« Reply #73 on: 24 Feb 2010, 08:34 pm »
I'm not far from Shadow, and I'd be willing to bring my VAC pre if we get a preamp shootout going

-Mike

mcullinan

« Reply #74 on: 24 Feb 2010, 08:45 pm »
I would match my Supratek Sauvignon up against that wusses Mikes VAC anyday! lol...

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #75 on: 24 Feb 2010, 08:49 pm »
I would match my Supratek Sauvignon up against that wusses Mikes VAC anyday! lol...

This reminds me of the spoken word from Mike, your other brother of another mother,  put up or shut up!   :rotflmao:

I luv tubes.  :kiss:

Cheers,
Robin

Prosoundman1000

« Reply #76 on: 24 Feb 2010, 08:58 pm »

As I have experienced the sonic benefits of injecting tube gear into the audio chain, especially with digital sources; I'm on board with your quest.
   I have two friends who use PARASOUND monoblocks and pre-amp combos so I am acquainted with the PARASOUND signature.  These amps perform well beyond their somewhat modest price
imo.
   That said; I have tried less than 10 tube pre-amps in my search for a compromise between perfection and budget restrictions.  I currently have a CAYIN SC-5LS which is  German engineered/Chinese built with point to point wiring in a heavy aluminum chassis.  This unit has the specs to match your solid-state amplifier and features 4 inputs including a phono-stage and twin outputs plus a recording out.
   I'm new to this forum so perhaps this isn't the venue for this offer but I am not a dealer or rep for Spark Audio.  Just a consumer who thinks this product represented great value for the dollar. That is why I bought it and still like and use it.  I am currently ramping-up to a much more expensive pre-amp so this one will be posted on Audiogon soon.
   Therefore, this is a bit of a heads-up in your direction.

I'm asking $1000.00 usd and I'll pay the shipping in this case to anywhere in N. America.  There is still some warranty left as it is 10 months old and I will extend that warranty another 6 months in writing as well as give you a 30 day, no questions asked full refund provided the unit is returned in the original carton, unharmed with remote and manual.  I seriously doubt you will find better in this price range.

I like the direction to which you are headed.  Regards,
                                                                                          Prosoundman   

mcullinan

« Reply #77 on: 24 Feb 2010, 09:00 pm »
lol...

guest1632

« Reply #78 on: 24 Feb 2010, 09:24 pm »
Thanks Jake!   :thumb:

I have also owned Joule Electra, and it is another one that nicely imparts that tube sound and I'm sure would enrich any SS listening experience.  Expensive new, but in your range used.  May be too soft and dark for some.  And check to make sure impedances match up.

My priorities are tone, musicality and naturalness.  I prefer an immersive and really engaging listening experience.  There are several other preamps that are reported to be in that camp.  They intrigue me and are on my "must try" list, but that is just based on what I've learned in my investigations.  So I can't recommend them based on direct experience.

You know for what this is worth, I'd go get a T8 from Ava. He's got a 30 day return. With the newest version using the 6CG7 tube, it might also be a killer.

Another one is the Audio Mirror from Vlad out of Texas. He's using the 6N1P and he has probably coaxed the crap out of the 6N1P tube to get the best sound out of that tube. Plus the output impedance is variable via a jumper. There's one for $700 on the Audiogon. He normally sells them for $1200. which is pretty close to the AVA T8.

Now if you want to take a stab at kit building, you can get a Transcendentsound Grounded Grid for $500. I would then if you are building it, use a better Selector switch and a better volume pot. Probably set you back about $600 total for the unit and parts upgrade.

That's all I can suggest for the moment.

Ray Bronk

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #79 on: 25 Feb 2010, 01:49 am »
If you want to listen to Response Audio Bellamax Extreme you know where I am.

You're a good man D.!