Tube Pre-amp for my Solid State Amp, suggestions?

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
Re: Tube Pre-amp for my Solid State Amp, suggestions?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Feb 2010, 08:17 pm »
decal: I dont know enough about tubes to disagree with you but it makes sence more tubes more tube sound. That brings in hybrid type of pre-amps wonder how much tube sound they impart.

Toobluvr do you or do you know anyone that has used the eastern Tube BBA buffer $850?

toobluvr

« Reply #21 on: 17 Feb 2010, 08:38 pm »
decal: I dont know enough about tubes to disagree with you but it makes sence more tubes more tube sound. That brings in hybrid type of pre-amps wonder how much tube sound they impart.

Toobluvr do you or do you know anyone that has used the eastern Tube BBA buffer $850?

No firsthand knowledge or experience.  But I think there was a discussion about it on here awhile ago.  Try the search function.  If not here, try AA and AG forums, they have more volume.

PS:   I don't really think it's possible to have a "hybrid preamp".  Hybrid amp....yes.  Hybrid integrated.....yes.   But preamp?   I don't think so.  Others will correct me if I'm wrong.

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #22 on: 17 Feb 2010, 10:06 pm »
When I owned an Audio Research LS2 preamp I noticed that it was usually referred to as a "Hybrid tube/FET audio circuit, solid state power supply", with a single 6DJ8/ECC88 dual triode tube compliment. That was the only line stage I've owned that followed such an example.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #23 on: 17 Feb 2010, 10:27 pm »
Audio by Van Alstine (AVA) has three hybrid preamps:  AVASTAR, Ultra EC, and Ultra SL.  They also have a manufacturer's circle here on AudioCircle.

shadowlight

« Reply #24 on: 17 Feb 2010, 10:55 pm »
Response Audio, AVA, Niteshade, Eastern Electric, Odyssey, Modwright, Juicy Music, de Havilland and SAS are all tube pre which can be had either new or used within your budget.  All of them except de Havilland, Juicy Music and SAS have a owners circle here on Audiocircle and they are all active in answering questions and providing guidance even if it is not there product.  You can pick anyone of them and you are likely to be be happy.

I settled on a pre from Response Audio.

toobluvr

« Reply #25 on: 17 Feb 2010, 11:02 pm »
JuicyMusic is no more, so they can't be had new.     :(

My prediction:  with the passage of time, I think JM gear will achieve "cult" status.

toobluvr

« Reply #26 on: 17 Feb 2010, 11:04 pm »
Audio by Van Alstine (AVA) has three hybrid preamps:  AVASTAR, Ultra EC, and Ultra SL.  They also have a manufacturer's circle here on AudioCircle.

Hmmm...apparently I still have lots to learn!     :oops:

shadowlight

« Reply #27 on: 17 Feb 2010, 11:11 pm »
JuicyMusic is no more, so they can't be had new.     :(

My prediction:  with the passage of time, I think JM gear will achieve "cult" status.

No wonder I did not get any response when I was researching various pre's.

toobluvr

« Reply #28 on: 17 Feb 2010, 11:51 pm »
No wonder I did not get any response when I was researching various pre's.

Don't worry.  Tons of comments out there over the years from owners.  If you are interested, watch AG and other used marketplaces.  One will appear.  Buy with confidence -- Mark Dineen is still supporting all units in the field.

http://juicymusicaudio.com/JuicyMusicAudio/Turning_the_lights_out_web_site.html
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2010, 01:04 am by toobluvr »

DigiPete

• Hearing is Believing...
« Reply #29 on: 18 Feb 2010, 01:18 am »
A used Modwright LS36.5 is at your upper limit, but it is definitely one great sounding preamp!

rodge827

« Reply #30 on: 18 Feb 2010, 01:37 am »
Look into the Audio Note Kits L3 Pre amp :drool:.
I have one and wouldn't go any where else :D.
If your not into buiding one I have a contact for you.
Good Luck,
Chris

http://www.audionotekits.com/

toobluvr

« Reply #31 on: 18 Feb 2010, 02:09 am »
Audio Note is sweet musical stuff.   Modern tube sound that balances resolution and listenability.   Been on my hit list for a long time!

:thumb:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #32 on: 18 Feb 2010, 02:26 am »
Where do you live Vulcan?

K Shep

« Reply #33 on: 18 Feb 2010, 02:48 am »
I have owned two tube preamps with my Parasound A21 amp.  A VTL 2.5 and my current Conrad Johnson CT5.  Both are wonderful choices but I am biased. 

You may want to consider the Conrad Johnson ET2 on Audiogon:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1270411957&/Conrad-Johnson-ET2-Like-New

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #34 on: 18 Feb 2010, 03:05 am »
melos preamps rock.  no matter what amps i am using, my melos preamp stays - works w/anything.  re: tube pre vs tube amp, while i prefer tubes everywhere, (except for my actively crossed-over subs, which get s/s), i would give up my tube amps on the mains before i'd give up the tube preamp.  ymmv. 

doug s.

sturgus

« Reply #35 on: 18 Feb 2010, 03:14 am »
Vulcan, I had a chance to talk to John Hillig of Musical Design today. He is going to mod a pair of Dyna Mk3's for me.  I had a chance to hear a production model of his new preamp. it is amazingly good. The neat thing about it is has the abilty to use different daughter boards. These boards have different tube compliments ex: 6922-6h30 board,12at7-12au7, and even a 6sn7 board in the works. I have to say that I am a bit bias when it comes to John's stuff since I own it in some form or another. That being said there are other fine preamps out here also, some of which have already been mentioned and have circles on this site. The good thing is, this is a one of the best times in say the last 15 years to buy a tube preamp.
http://www.musicalconcepts.com/
Sturgus

pjanda1

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 18 Feb 2010, 06:00 am »

More tubes does not always equal more tube sound.  In the case of preamps, more tubes often means more feedback, which can mean more SS sound!  Buffers, for example, are often use essentially 100% feedback, which some may argue is not "tube sound" at all!

Your 47K load isn't too bad, and there are plenty of options right here on Audio Circle!  I can't comment on them all, but were I you, I'd look around and see what looks interesting.  A friend of mine owns a Van Alstine preamp with a Mosfet buffer.  It'd drive a cement truck, and wouldn't struggle a bit with a SS amp.  I have a great deal of respect for Hagerman, and I'd look into the Clarinet were I you.  It won't drive all SS amps, but it'll handle yours just fine.  I just noticed Promitheus Audio has a WOT (with output transformer).  It looks like a steal to me.  It'd not only give you tubes, but some iron as well!  I'm sure Blair at Niteshade could make you something nice, and Vista makes pretty things too.  There are still more: Response Audio, ModWright and Music Reference!

Looking at all the options could take some time.  I think, in general, you are looking for something with an output impedance 5K or less that has as little gain as possible (unless you are using something like a low gain phono pre for a source).

Paul

Milenko27

« Reply #37 on: 18 Feb 2010, 02:51 pm »
I use a Conrad Johnson premier ten pre amp with an solid state power amp (Muse model 160), plays like a dream. So my tip, get a used Conrad Johnson Premier pre amp, premier 10/14/16 or as suggested a used Conrad Johnson ET2. But i might be biased....
Audio Note is another hot tip, as kit or finished product, however take into consideration that Audio Note products have very high gain, so maybe try before you buy.
In my opinion Conrad Johnson makes the best pre amps around, bur you might also consider a used Audio Research or a used Bat or even a used EAR pre amp.
Used is definately where you get the most bang for the buck. The build quality you get from these high end manufacturers are way higher then what you get elsewhere, and a lot of these pre amps hold their own still after 20 years.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #38 on: 18 Feb 2010, 03:08 pm »
Vulcan00,

It's all so very personal - a decision on any piece of gear.

Having gone thru many of the change-outs myself - here's what I found:

Tube preamps.....NONE of them tried were fully satisfying unless they had voltage regulated, or buffered, outputs.  It can be solid state or tube regulation.....but some kind of regulation tucks up the wallowy bass of tubes into something much cleaner.

A lot of the old 'classic' designs don't have this...and many of the current designs that harken back to older designs in their architecture don't have it.  Once I figured this out, tube gear in general began to strike a good sonic chord with me.

The other thing found is that dual mono is, all things otherwise equal, better than simply a stereo unit. I found this particularly important when listening to vinyl.  Perhaps stereo separation is sufficiently high with digital sources and vinyl's relatively poor separation benefits from it more...I don't know; I'm a music listener, not a tech :wink:

In the end, what I and a surprising amount of others have found, is that the ticket to happiness is a solid state preamp and tube amp(s).  Preferably dual mono preamp (right back to separate power supplies and trannies) and dual mono or twin monoblock tube amps.

Especially if you listen to vinyl, or plan to, a solid state preamp gives you the clean gain necessary with eeny-weeny millivoltage cartridge signals to your amps and on to your speakers.   

Combined with speakers that are tube friendly (ie, pose a benign load for your tube amps) and you could be in bliss  :inlove:

Anyhow, good luck on your decision  8)

John

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #39 on: 18 Feb 2010, 03:15 pm »
+3 for the Dodd.  I have one of the Battery preamps that listed for $3300 and was an excellent buy.  The passive version may still be at the opening price of $999, but if it has gone up to $1500 it is still in your price range and has all the sonic attributes of the original version.   The passive hasn't been reviewed yet to my knowledge, except for lots of word of mouth here at AC, but there are several very positive review of the original- 6Moons and Stereomojo come to mind. 

Scott