What other good bands from the 70's and 80's fell thru the cracks?

vinyl_lady

How about Trapeze? English rock band signed to The Moody Blues label Threshold Records. The first album was produced by John Lodge. Most famous members were Mel Galley, Glenn Hughes (later with Deep Purple) and Dave Holland. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapeze_(band)

I saw them open for the MB in 1971 and have their first 3 albums.

:thumb:

acresm22

From the 70s....Lone Star. Their "Firing on All Six" album got a lot of rotation on my Toshiba SR250 turntable... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asM8683vfzM

From the 80s...The Brandos. I couldn't get enough of the song "Gettysburg." Still love it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMb9Uoi0d2M

TheChairGuy

Some great ones here...I really dug The Babys (and totally forgot about them)

My fave, by far, and given little respect in history was British bank UK.  Talk about a power group!  There were two iterations of them and I think they only made 4 albums (3 studio and 1 live).  The live one, Night After Night, is probably my fave live album

Two sets of musicians in the band, but great music (progressive rock) regardless - check out these names:

Earlier
* Allan Holdsworth - guitar 
* Eddie Jobson - keyboards, violin 
* John Wetton - bass, vocals
* Bill Bruford - drums 

Later
* Eddie Jobson - keyboards, electric violin
* John Wetton - lead vocals, bass
* Terry Bozzio - drums, percussion

« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2010, 12:06 pm by TheChairGuy »

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
From the 70s....Lone Star. Their "Firing on All Six" album got a lot of rotation on my Toshiba SR250 turntable... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asM8683vfzM

From the 80s...The Brandos. I couldn't get enough of the song "Gettysburg." Still love it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMb9Uoi0d2M

WOW!  Just saw several of their shows on YT.  Gonna hunt those CDS down!
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

NOTE:  Can anyone figure out which of the Brandos albums (if any) has "My Father's Gun" on it?  Where are they based?  Sounds like a great Irish folk-rock band in that cut.

And their music reminds me of Dire Straights     :thumb:

Wayner

Some great ones here...I really dug The Babys (and totally forgot about them)

My fave, by far, and given little respect in history was British bank UK.  Talk about a power group!  There were two iterations of them and I think they only made 4 albums (3 studio and 1 live).  The live one, Night After Night, is probably my fave live album

Two sets of musicians in the band, but great music (progressive rock) regardless - check out these names:

Earlier
* Allan Holdsworth - guitar 
* Eddie Jobson - keyboards, violin 
* John Wetton - bass, vocals
* Bill Bruford - drums 

Later
* Eddie Jobson - keyboards, electric violin
* John Wetton - lead vocals, bass
* Terry Bozzio - drums, percussion

Is that the same John Wetton from Azia?

Wayner

Ericus Rex

And King Crimson

Wayner

TheChairGuy

Wayner

Same John Wetton from progressive rock group ASIA, too (maybe you remember the cut 'Heat of the Moment' in the 80's?)

Good genes :)

John

Wayner

Same John Wetton from progressive rock group ASIA, too (maybe you remember the cut 'Heat of the Moment' in the 80's?)

Good genes :)

John

I just saw Bill Bruford's name too (with the band UK), from Yes fame.

I know the one LP is at the used record store in town. I'm heading over there after noon to pick it up!

Wayner  ;)

Scott F.

Great topic.

I could literally fill this whole page with great groups that fell through the cracks in the 70's as that is one of my biggest potions of my vinyl collection. Here we refer to it as KSHE Classics as out local FM Rock station has had a dedicated show from 8:00 til Noon each Sunday that only plays those bands. Just guessing I've got about 500 albums by obscure and long forgotten rock groups. This doesnt include the thousand plus I've got from what everybody considers "Classic Rock" groups like Led Zepplin, Heart, Doors, Charlie Daniels, 38 Special and so on.

Anyway, to add to the groups everybody has mentioned so far but excluding most of the 'one hit wonders', here's my partial list;

10CC
Brian Auger and the Oblivion Express
Argent
Battdorf & Rodney
Brewer and Shipley - a couple of local guys that made it big...sorta
Budgie - Great stuff!
Charlie - great pop(ish) rock
Climax Blues Band
Cheryl Dilcher - Great female vocalist
Les Dudek - his stuff goes WAY deeper than Ole Judge Jones
ELF - (the lead singer is really Ronnie James Dio)
Foghat/Savoy Brown - (the lead singer of Savoy Brown went on to join Foghat)
Rory Gallagher - (RIP, this guy was awesome)
Grand Funk
Gypsy - AWESOME!
Frank Marino Mahogany Rush - Did some cool stuff, sort of a Hendrix knock off
Nektar - Whoa these guys are good
Rare Bird - More good stuff
Spirit
The Strawbs - One of my 'go to groups', always getting lots of spin time
Triumvirat
UFO - these guys will rock your face off
Uriah Heep - ex-local guy Ken Hensley
Wishbone Ash - one of my favs - try out F.U.B.B.

I left out the one hit wonders focusing on the groups that put out multiple albums of consistently good music (YMMV).

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
thunderbrick...
NOTE:  Can anyone figure out which of the Brandos albums (if any) has "My Father's Gun" on it?  Where are they based?  Sounds like a great Irish folk-rock band in that cut.

And their music reminds me of Dire Straights 

http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Volunteer-Songs-Soldier-1861-1865/dp/B000005Z5R

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:hifyxqw5ldde~T1

............. :thumb:

orthobiz

Great topic.

10CC

Climax Blues Band

Gypsy - AWESOME!

Triumvirat

Are you thinking of the Gypsy that had the double album debut with "Dead And Gone" on it? That got considerable airplay in NYC and I bought a new sealed copy but it says 1979 copyright on the spine and it's on Cognito records, yet the album was actually released in 1970? Do you have more details?

Also with 10cc: you do have Listen Now by Phil Manzanera of Roxy Music and 801, right? It has Creme and Godfrey vocals and is fantastic!

Climax Blues Band: "Mole on the Dole" from Rich Man is somehow a "go to" song when I'm riled up and need to settle down.

Nektar: I have an extra copy and recently I spent time convincing my 15 year old that she really wants it because it's really important prog! I think I'm winning on this one...

Triumvirat: totally forgot this one. I'm not gonna go to allmusic.com right now but didn't this have Dr. John in it?

Paul

TheChairGuy

I just saw Bill Bruford's name too (with the band UK), from Yes fame.

I know the one LP is at the used record store in town. I'm heading over there after noon to pick it up!

Wayner  ;)

Check out Bill Bruford's 'Earthworks', too, Wayner (if you're a Bruford fan). 

It's Jazz/Fusion - very, err, arresting stuff - I listen to it a lot still today.

Does Roxy Music count as overlooked band of the 70's/80's? I think Avalon is a seriously underappreciated album from them.  Siren is pretty sweet, too.

Quote from: wikipedia
In 1989, the album was ranked #31 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the "The 100 Greatest Albums of the 1980s". In 2003, the album was ranked number 307 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.

John

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Great topic.

I could literally fill this whole page with great groups that fell through the cracks in the 70's as that is one of my biggest potions of my vinyl collection. Here we refer to it as KSHE Classics as out local FM Rock station has had a dedicated show from 8:00 til Noon each Sunday that only plays those bands. Just guessing I've got about 500 albums by obscure and long forgotten rock groups. This doesnt include the thousand plus I've got from what everybody considers "Classic Rock" groups like Led Zepplin, Heart, Doors, Charlie Daniels, 38 Special and so on.

Anyway, to add to the groups everybody has mentioned so far but excluding most of the 'one hit wonders', here's my partial list;

Scott, Strawbs are GREAT, and I have fond memeories of UH and WA.  May even have their discs.
 :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Anyone remember "The Strawbs" ?

Scott F.

Paul,

Are you thinking of the Gypsy that had the double album debut with "Dead And Gone" on it? That got considerable airplay in NYC and I bought a new sealed copy but it says 1979 copyright on the spine and it's on Cognito records, yet the album was actually released in 1970? Do you have more details?

Yep you're right, thats the reissue of the original that James Walsh (the original lead singer) did in the late 70's. They originally released their music on the Metromedia label but it went under early on then RCA picked them up.

If your copy is still sealed, by all means you need to open it and start spinning. Holy crap there is some great music on that album. Start with side 4, Dead and Gone then Tomorrow is the last to be heard. Once you hear that, you'll be buying their next three albums. They are as good as this one.

Also with 10cc: you do have Listen Now by Phil Manzanera of Roxy Music and 801, right? It has Creme and Godfrey vocals and is fantastic!

I'll have to look that one up. I do have the late 70's early 80's release that Godley and Creme did. It was pretty good.

Climax Blues Band: "Mole on the Dole" from Rich Man is somehow a "go to" song when I'm riled up and need to settle down.

Great stuff!

Nektar: I have an extra copy and recently I spent time convincing my 15 year old that she really wants it because it's really important prog! I think I'm winning on this one...

...as well you should. Remember the Future, Down to Earth, Tab in the Ocean, Recycled...all great stuff!

Triumvirat: totally forgot this one. I'm not gonna go to allmusic.com right now but didn't this have Dr. John in it?

I think your are confusing Dr John with somebody else. Triumvirat was a German Prog band who hit the US about '74 or '75. If you want to explore, start with Illusions on a Double Dimple. Just a peice of trivia, a double Dimple is a double shot of Pinch Dimple scotch.  :thumb:

Scott F.

Hi Laura,

How about Trapeze?

That is one of my ALL TIME favorite albums. It seriously rocks  :rock:

DavidS

wore out the grooves on my copy of the Iron City Houserockers Get out Alive - sort of Pittsburgh meets Springsteen.  Late 70's early 80's.  Never could understand why these guys weren't huge.

Another one for me was the Motors - a British Pub / Punk band that evolved from great name pub rock band Ducks Deluxe.  Saw the Motors live in late 70's - like Cheap Trick with more songs and ideas but maybe not the marketing smarts.

Don't have either in my collection anymore - would be worth getting a turntable to just spin these two.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Great topic.

10CC
Brian Auger and the Oblivion Express
Argent
Battdorf & Rodney
Brewer and Shipley - a couple of local guys that made it big...sorta
Budgie - Great stuff!
Charlie - great pop(ish) rock
Climax Blues Band
Cheryl Dilcher - Great female vocalist
Les Dudek - his stuff goes WAY deeper than Ole Judge Jones
ELF - (the lead singer is really Ronnie James Dio)
Foghat/Savoy Brown - (the lead singer of Savoy Brown went on to join Foghat)
Rory Gallagher - (RIP, this guy was awesome)
Grand Funk
Gypsy - AWESOME!
Frank Marino Mahogany Rush - Did some cool stuff, sort of a Hendrix knock off
Rare Bird - More good stuff
Spirit
Triumvirat
UFO - these guys will rock your face off

I left out the one hit wonders focusing on the groups that put out multiple albums of consistently good music (YMMV).

great topic, great list.  I'll add:

Audience
Gentle Giant
Head Hands and Feet (an Albert Lee group)
Crack The Sky
Caravan
Andy Pratt
Genesis (the good PG era one  :) )
Status Quo (although they've been doing reunion dates)
Brian Protheroe
Dixie Dreggs
Hawkwind
Stackridge (George Martin, producer)
Focus

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
I thought I was only person who loved NEKTAR!!