What other good bands from the 70's and 80's fell thru the cracks?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Split Enz put on an excellent show...many moons ago...at the Bottom Line/NYC.

Too bad it's gone now.... :(

underdog64

The Plimsouls

lonewolfny42

New York's own....Eddie Money......his guitarist, Jimmy Lyon, was excellent. :guitar:

Remember....Billy Squier...

BikeWNC

Todd Rundgren. Most people know the name. Some can remember (maybe) one or two of his songs. Only a few know he has 20+ studio albums, not including his 12 work with Utopia and 3 with Nazz. Big headed genius in my opinion, and my all-time favorite musician.
I have about every Rundgren album from Nazz on. 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
What about McKendree (sp?) Spring?

Bill

I'm glad someone mentioned Delaney and Bonnie. Their On Tour release with Eric Clapton is, in my humble opinion, one of the all-time great live albums. Right up there with James Brown's Live at the Apollo and the Who's Live at Leeds. How 'bout Savage Grace, Ars Nova and Beacon Street Union? Great stuff.

BikeWNC

We had a local band in NC called Arrogance (5 albums) led by Don Dixon who also helped produce bands such as REM, Let's Active, the dBs and a bunch of other semi-popular bands.  Very cool talent. 

lonewolfny42

Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll.... Ian Dury... is your man... :smoke:

orthobiz

Split Enz put on an excellent show...many moons ago...at the Bottom Line/NYC.

Too bad it's gone now.... :(

I saw Joe Jackson there (Look Sharp! tour), Santana. The other great one was My Father's Place in Roslyn, same kinda layout. I saw Buzzy Linhart, Patti Smith and Crack The Sky (who opened for the Earl Scruggs Revue of all things!).

Paul

lonewolfny42

I have almost everything by Joe Jackson...check out his album Big World.....great album, much overlooked. His guitarist, Gary Sanford, on "Look Sharp"....another excellent axeman. :thumb:

My Father's Place...great place...did a few gigs there...and it was close to home. Eppy was the best....tried to move the club to Bayside...didn't work out. :?

honesthoff

Old & In The Way.

Marbles

The best band to never have a record deal was by far The Harlots of 42nd Street.

A Glam Band led by Chris (Becker) Harlot. 

Rumor has it his brother Walter (Harlot) Becker plays in Steely Dan.

lonewolfny42

At a rapid pace...

Buzzcocks...

The Undertones...

I always liked Big Country...

lonewolfny42

The best band to never have a record deal was by far The Harlots of 42nd Street.

A Glam Band led by Chris (Becker) Harlot. 

Rumor has it his brother Walter (Harlot) Becker plays in Steely Dan.

....That's one that definitely fell thru the cracks... :lol:

chosenhandle

Big Star!

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
Does anyone have Q65 / Afghanistan
1971 album by Dutch legends delivering a powerful set of bluesy proto-hardrock somehow meant to be psychedelic too, with the whole B-side being a live medley of classic rock'n'roll.
Let me know.............Bill

Harvey Mandel solo stuff ??

vinyl_lady

Boomtown Rats
You might have never heard of them but may know one of their members: Bob Geldof

Love The Boomtown Rats. I have 3 LPs. Rat Trap, I Don't Like Mondays and She's So Modern are great songs. The live version of IDLM on the Live Aid DVD is cool 8)

dB Cooper

Can't believe I forgot this one, but: Root Boy Slim and The Sex Change Band", active mainly the late 70s. Apart from some fringe notoriety for "Boogie 'til you Puke" (the very first song on their very first album), they never hit it big, but they played blues with a comedic twist. One of the best live acts I ever saw depending on what drugs Root, a notorious stoner, had in his system during the show. The following quote from rootboyslim.com, started by a former band member, sums it up:

Writing a biography of an artist is usually a straightforward process. You list the date of birth, throw in some astrological crap, talk about all the gold and platinum records the artist has received, maybe even toss in a few quotes of a philosophical nature to show what a deep thinker the artist is. Unfortunately, that approach just won't work with Root Boy Slim.

----------
Also Dread Zeppelin, a band specializing in reggae Led Zep renditions whose lead singer is.. wait for it... an Elvis impersonator. But only the original singer, Bill "Tortelvis" Tortell; the one they had later sucked.

lonewolfny42

Do you remember.... Sparks...  or  Leo Sayer..