What other good bands from the 70's and 80's fell thru the cracks?

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
HAWKWIND!!! What blasts from the past....

lazydays

* Plastic Ono Band
* Molly Hatchet (note: only one of them is alive right now)
* Vanilla Fudge
* Velvet Underground
* Golden Ear Ring
* Dr. Hook
* Climax Blues Band
* Atlanta Rythem Section
* Ohio Players
 gary

eclein

• Volunteer
Did anyone mention "The Pousette-Dart Band"-?? Remember "its only a case of amnesia"!

vinyl_lady

I thought I was only person who loved NEKTAR!!

Nope; I have several friends from the 70's who turned me on to Nektar :thumb:

martinr

Some great ones here...I really dug The Babys (and totally forgot about them)

My fave, by far, and given little respect in history was British bank UK.  Talk about a power group!  There were two iterations of them and I think they only made 4 albums (3 studio and 1 live).  The live one, Night After Night, is probably my fave live album

Two sets of musicians in the band, but great music (progressive rock) regardless - check out these names:

Earlier
* Allan Holdsworth - guitar 
* Eddie Jobson - keyboards, violin 
* John Wetton - bass, vocals
* Bill Bruford - drums 

Later
* Eddie Jobson - keyboards, electric violin
* John Wetton - lead vocals, bass
* Terry Bozzio - drums, percussion

U.K. was great!  Bill Brufords solo work is very good also...that's where Bassist Jeff Berlin got some of his initial notoriety on "Gradually Going Tornado".. I met him after a gig a few years ago - he said that album put him on the map.

Ronnie Montrose solo album from that time is very good as well.

Also Brand X from that era
And Be Bop Deluxe...don't know that they fell through the cracks but Bill Nelson cranked out some great rock and roll back in the day!  :eyebrows:

vinyl_lady

Hi Laura,

That is one of my ALL TIME favorite albums. It seriously rocks  :rock:

Hi Scott,

Another band from this era I liked was Head East. When I was at Mizzou a lot of friends from StL raved about this band. I still listen to Flat as a Pancake :rock:

bummrush

God i havent thought of head east in 20 yrs, but i didnt forget about one of their album covers,for trivia what was loaded on the truck on the album cover???????????????????????????????????????????

Scott F.

God i havent thought of head east in 20 yrs, but i didnt forget about one of their album covers,for trivia what was loaded on the truck on the album cover???????????????????????????????????????????

I had to look that one up  :duh:

...a goZillion pounds of reefer  :smoke:

Speaking of Head East, I just popped on REO Speedwagon's first album before Kevin Cronin showed up and they sold out.

Mike Nomad

Read all the posts (so far), and I'm not sure I have a handle on this thread. So...

Armageddon (w/ Keith Relf)

Graham Parker (& The Rumour)

Scottdazzle

Sea Level (featured Chuck Leavell and Randall Bramblett - southern jazz-rock & R&B)
The Flying Burrito brothers (featured Chris Hillman, Gram Parsons, and Sneaky Pete - they were more famous by reputation than actually listened to)
Heads Hands and Feet (featured the amazing Albert Lee)

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.

Heads Hands and Feet (featured the amazing Albert Lee)

I listed them, too.  Love Albert!!

bummrush

Wow,,Sea Level,,completely forgot about them.

bummrush

REO right up there with pretty much what i started listening to pretty young

mikef

Anyone remember Seatrain?
How about Greenslade, a British keyboard-driven prog band of the 1970s?

Mike Fox

vinyl_lady

Speaking of Head East, I just popped on REO Speedwagon's first album before Kevin Cronin showed up and they sold out.

REO played at a free student activities concert in Columbia MO in the fall of 1971 :rock:

steve k

Here's a few:
Blue Cheer--Remember "I'm the Light" , Rare Bird, Aphrodite's Child, Bloodrock, Crow--Remember "Evil Woman", Blues Image, Gentle Giant, Spooky Tooth-remember "Waiting for the Wind?", Soft Cell.
steve

vinyl_lady

Great posts that bring back a lot of fond memories. Here's another -- World Party

Lyndon

Graham Parker (& The Rumour)

Ah, and such a tight band behind him.

And I love the extended version of Godley and Creme's 'You Make Me Wanta Cry" (from 10CC)
And did somebody mention 'Squeeze'? Tempted by the Fruit of Another'

eclein

• Volunteer
I played with a Singer/Songwriter from that band Valentine and we were up against SQUEEZE for a label deal way back in the early eighties. We played for some big A&R guy at a studio in NY and they eventually signed SQUEEZE and not us!!!  Hahaha...I was so nervous that I couldn't keep my right foot still on the bass drum pedal!!!! Just thought I'd share that :icon_lol:

luckyrolls

Wow - Mckendree Spring - that just jarred my memory.   

I think one of the first concerts I ever saw was a free concert at some park in Staten Island.  They were there and and so was Taj Mahal playing with a tuba player.  I remember getting up close to Taj who was wearing a hat and sun-glasses - I thought he was some old time blues musician and he did "Champagne don't make me lazy".   This was 1972 so he was actually 29 -   :lol: I was about 16 and couldn't manage to down a big can Rheingold.

All I remember about Mckendree Spring was one big hit and that it had violin.  But I just looked them upwww.last.fm/music/McKendree+Spring on lastfm.   

What about McKendree (sp?) Spring?