What other good bands from the 70's and 80's fell thru the cracks?

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.

Babe Ruth

I just got turned on to Babe Ruth about 2 months ago from a friend on mine in Germany. I picked up 3 of their CDs and I like them. I think they only have 3, good band!

dflee

Wayner
I had The Snow Goose when it first came out. Really enjoyed it but never got around to any of their other stuff. Are the other albums similar?
Hate to say this but I had over seven hundred albums and gave them all away due to moving around and storage problems.

Don

Indiansprings

I didn't see anyone mention Firefall.
They had a few great tunes.

starkiller

dflee

Mirage by camel is great!

Wayner

Wayner
I had The Snow Goose when it first came out. Really enjoyed it but never got around to any of their other stuff. Are the other albums similar?
Hate to say this but I had over seven hundred albums and gave them all away due to moving around and storage problems.

Don

I like them all! In fact I have about 3 personally autographed albums by them. In vinyl, I love Moonmadness, Rain Dances, Snow Goose, Pressure Point, I Can See My House From Here, The Single Factor and Breathless. On CD is the newer stuff like Harbor of Tears, Rajaz, Dust and Dreams and A Nod and a Wink. Coming of Age is one of the best live CDs I have ever heard. All great, IMHO.

Wayner
dflee

Mirage by camel is great!

Also agree and left that off my list because you had mentioned it.

Wayner  :D

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
Thanks so much for this thread. So fun to see the names of bands that I had forgotten about but really liked so long ago. Don't know if this had degenerated to just listing what we can remember or just reminiscing but love the thread anyway.

Some bands that I still like would be TonioK. Very cool lyrics.

Anyone remember Renaissance with Annie Haslem?

How about 999? They had a hit called "Homicide".

Stiff Little Fingers were around the same time as 999. Same goes for the Buzzcocks and the Dickies

I know someone else mentioned 20/20. Little yellow pills never hurt nobody!

Michael Des Barres was part of a great band called Detective. I highly recommend them. You can find their albums still on ugbay.

If you like hard rock then you need to seek out albums by Legs Diamond. They predated all the L.A. bands except for Quiet Riot who were out at the same time with Randy Rhodes. They are still big in Texas where the band calls home.

Speaking of Texas one of the most underrated metal bands ever is Kings'X.
If you appreciate differences in guitar tone; well then you have found the best of the best. Solid state I might add. A great great band. Check out some of their youtube vidz from when they played the talk shows. You wont believe how tight this band is live.

Another completely underrated band is DADA. I can't believe these guys didn't make it. Great guitar playing and nice harmonies. Lots of tongue in cheek humor in their songs. My favorite album is "American Highway Flower".

Have you heard of Y&T? Well before they changed their name they used to be called Yesterday and Today and had two great albums. They are hard to find and pricey but I love them both.

Well i hope you find something of interest in my memories and thanks for contributing to such a fun thread!

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Yep.  Renaissance and Fairport Convention, and let's not forget Steeleye Span!   :thumb:   I have several LPS of all three.  Great stuff!

bunnyma357

Thanks so much for this thread. So fun to see the names of bands that I had forgotten about but really liked so long ago. Don't know if this had degenerated to just listing what we can remember or just reminiscing but love the thread anyway.

Some bands that I still like would be TonioK. Very cool lyrics.

Anyone remember Renaissance with Annie Haslem?

How about 999? They had a hit called "Homicide".

Stiff Little Fingers were around the same time as 999. Same goes for the Buzzcocks and the Dickies

I know someone else mentioned 20/20. Little yellow pills never hurt nobody!

Michael Des Barres was part of a great band called Detective. I highly recommend them. You can find their albums still on ugbay.

If you like hard rock then you need to seek out albums by Legs Diamond. They predated all the L.A. bands except for Quiet Riot who were out at the same time with Randy Rhodes. They are still big in Texas where the band calls home.

Speaking of Texas one of the most underrated metal bands ever is Kings'X.
If you appreciate differences in guitar tone; well then you have found the best of the best. Solid state I might add. A great great band. Check out some of their youtube vidz from when they played the talk shows. You wont believe how tight this band is live.

Another completely underrated band is DADA. I can't believe these guys didn't make it. Great guitar playing and nice harmonies. Lots of tongue in cheek humor in their songs. My favorite album is "American Highway Flower".

Have you heard of Y&T? Well before they changed their name they used to be called Yesterday and Today and had two great albums. They are hard to find and pricey but I love them both.

Well i hope you find something of interest in my memories and thanks for contributing to such a fun thread!

Excellent list -

Life in the Foodchain is one of my favorites albums.
SLF were incredible, but only seemed to gel on live recordings.
They used to play Y&T's "25 Hours a Day" a lot on the local college station WGTB, back in the day - I remember them playing a lot of Geordie as well.

It's also interesting to see Crack the Sky listed - if you lived near Baltimore, they were huge, no falling through the cracks there. I've even got a John Palumbo solo album.

A few more I don't think I've seen that didn't have too much mainstream success:

Lloyd Cole & the Commotions
The Rainmakers
Jonathan Richman & the Modern Lovers
Galaxie 500
Greg Kihn
Hanoi Rocks
Dr. Feelgood
The Beat Farmers

Jim C

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
Thanks bunnyma357. Oh my gosh I loved Greg Kihn Band and remember Lloyd Cole and also The Beat Farmers!

I have been thinking and am embarrased to have not mentioned The Call. These guys were often ignored because of a spiritual component to their music but they were for real and walked the talk. I got one of their latest a couple of years ago and the lyrics still are as hard hitting as ever.

Hey what about The Alarm? 68 guns anyone?

Also have several albums by The Smithereens. These guys were kind of like the male GoGo's in that they wrote well crafted pop. Still listen to them at least a couple times a year.

Wayner

I forgot about StarCastle, Flash and Vangelis

Wayner

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
Great thread
a few I have not heard mentioned

Yes - Ive seen all good people
the outlaws - 3 lead guitars sounded great
Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks
Michael Murphy
Leon Russell
Jerry Jeff Walker - London Homesick Blues is one of my favs
BW Stevenson
Jimmie Spheeris - Isle of View
Jesse Colin Young - from the Youngbloods fame
Jonathan Edwards _ Sunshine go away today
New Riders of the Purple Sage - Lonesome LA cowboy
Melanie - Light this Candle
Michelle Shocked
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2010, 05:32 pm by David C »

yokophono

This is my first time posting, but I'll go ahead and dive in:

Japan (Duran Duran were a 3rd rate imitation)
Sparks
Julian Cope/Teardrop Explodes (though Cope is still around, but highly underrated overall)
My Dad Is Dead
The Gun Club
This Heat
(queue the NZ bands)
The Chills
The Clean
The Verlaines
Ultravox (John Foxx era)/John Foxx
Fad Gadget
Let's Active (Mitch Easter's band)
Cowboys International
Pere Ubu
The June Brides
The Dream Syndicate ('The Day of Wine and Roses' is an unheralded masterpiece)
Throwing Muses
Mission of Burma
The Flesh Eaters (Chris Desjardins was one of the writers for Slash magazine.  Check out "A Minute to Pray, A Second to Die" featuring John Doe and DJ Bonebrake from X as well as Dave Alvin from The Blasters.  Definitely an underrated LA punk album.)

and that's just to name a few.

Minn Mark

Great thread. Keep 'em coming.  :thumb:

I'll try to add a few I didnt yet see

Solo Artists:
Nicolette Larson
Al Stewart
Cat Stevens
Phoebe Snow
Tom Verlaine
David Knopfler
Adrian Belew
Dan Fogelberg
Michael Johnson
Billy Thorpe

Groups:
War
The Roches
Barnes and Barnes
UB40
T'Pau
Prism
Trooper
Average White BAnd
Amazing Rhythm Aces
Atlanta Rhythm Section
Gunhill Road
Mahavishnu Orchestra
JoJo Gunne
The Romantics
The Vapors
Firefall
Mena at Work
Madness
Roman Holiday
The Thompson Twins
NIity Gritty Dirt Band
The Fabulous Poodles
The Blackbirds
The Crusaders
Til Tuesday
Supertramp
10cc
The Gear Daddies
The Red Willow Band
The Flirts

And of course the bands I was in:

The Gullikson Brothers plus Two
The Drifters
Timberline
Cowboy Bob and the Happy Bandoleros

Cheers,

Mark

Minn Mark

A few more...

Talk Talk
      The Producers
      Starz
      The Comateens
      Gene Loves Jezebel
      Texas
      The long Riders
      Icicle Works
      Real Life   
      Modern English
      Josie Cotton   
      Roman Holiday

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
And ....

Mark-Almond - guitarist & saxophone player from John Mayall's classic Turning Point album www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTqs7_9pyZM

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
Mark
Great list
did Amazing Rhythm Aces do Third rate romance low rent rondevous? (spelling?)
what about
DOA
Mountain
Comander Cody and the lost planet airmen - hot rod lincoln
Dave Loggins
Dave Mason
David Allan Coe
Eddy Grant - Give me Hope Joanna
Gin Blossoms
Gordon Lightfoot
Harry Nilsson
Howard Jones
Joe Walsh
Larry Hosford - Great Bakersfield sound if you have not heard it
Loggins and Messina
Lowell George
Mike and the mechanics
Paul Young

Minn Mark

hi Dave,
Yes you are correct about the 3rd rate romance

also Cmdr Cody-great 'get'--love "House of Blue Lights"

do you remember:

The Flying Burrito Brothers
Graham Parsons
Jerry Jeff Walker
Jimmy Buffett

great idea to post the one "hit" from alot of these wonders !!

Cheers,

Mark

yokophono

I just got turned on to Babe Ruth about 2 months ago from a friend on mine in Germany. I picked up 3 of their CDs and I like them. I think they only have 3, good band!

Funny enough, the Babe Ruth song "The Mexican" was really big with the early hip hop scene.  On that note:

The Blackbyrds
Black Ivory (Leroy Burgess actually made a name for himself after Black Ivory)
Mandrill
Shuggie Otis
Barrabas
Mandre
Zulema
Creative Source
The Beginning of the End...

I'm certainly surprised nobody has mentioned The Edgar Winter Group, but maybe someone did and I didn't see it.

Bill A

I forgot about Commander Cody.  Hot Licks, Cold Steel and Truckers Favorites is one of my favorites.

I saw Leon Russell listed and thought of his Hank Wilson's Back Vol. I album.  If you like old time country music you'll love this.  Russell's naturally whiney voice, great song choices and great backing band make this a very enjoyable album.

Bill

yokophono

Eddy Grant - Give me Hope Joanna

Funny trivia fact about Eddy Grant.  Prior to his career as a solo artist in the 80s, he was a member of an English band called The Equals (formed in 1965) who sort of mixed a fusion of pop, rock, ska, and funk.  They did a pretty great song called "Black Skinned Blue Eyed Boys" that was released as a single in 1970.

Someone put a promo video made at that time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvxUwpiM0uI