Niteshade Audio amplifiers

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Niteshade Audio amplifiers
« on: 12 Feb 2009, 04:15 pm »
Niteshade Audio NS-10 Single Ended KT-88/6L6 Amplifier

Our NS-10 is the pinnacle of single ended technology:

1. Quadruple filtered, choke enhanced power supply
2. High quality, wide bandwidth output transformers
3. Tunable biasing for locating the sweet spot of any power tube and for increased efficiency
4. Variable Negative feedback for sculpting the amplifier to your tastes
5. Tube rectified
6. Ten watts per channel
7. Triode/Pentode Switch

We believe an amplifier should be true to the source and not mask anything. The NS-10 will deliver crystal clear highs that are not strident, accurate mids and deep, punchy bass. This is our flagship single ended amplifier, made for those who demand accuracy and a low, low noise output.

« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2009, 05:52 pm by Niteshade »

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
Re: Niteshade Audio amplifiers
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2009, 01:56 pm »
Niteshade Audio: About the NS-50

Image: NS-50 Integrated Amplifier with universal primary power transformer, tunable negative feedback and variable negative feedback.

Our finest quad 6L6 based push-pull amplifier. Designed for those who enjoy high impact listening sessions and demand complete tonal accuracy. Hearing and feeling your music with a projected, faultless sound stage is mind blowing! Watching an action movie and wondering if it's your phone ringing or theirs, if the window that broke was in your room or on the 'set' is what it's all about and then some. It takes POWER to do it right and do it all. Sound imaging with material effects is what I believe to be one of the most enjoyable aspects a home theater can provide. Large volumes of air have to be moved accurately and effortlessly to make a listening experience sound real. The NS-50 can be summed up in two words: Resolution and Power

Please call or write for further information. Visit out web site!  :D
« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2009, 10:13 pm by Niteshade »

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2009, 07:31 pm »
Take a look at our F2A Single Ended amplifier:

Bemopti123

« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2009, 07:37 pm »
Hi Blair, that is a nice looking pair of F2As and a very simple, yet understated amplifier.  I am sure I will get to hear more from it. :thumb:

pardales

« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2009, 08:26 pm »
That NS-6N7 description sounds pretty sweet.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2009, 12:47 pm »
Take a look at the following page on my web site: http://sites.google.com/site/niteshadeaudio/Home/niteshade-amplifiers/a-look-underneath

Great sound begins with a circuit devoid of extraneous baggage. As straight a signal path as possible is absolutely necessary if high resolution sound is important to you. Our push-pull amplifiers have LESS circuitry than many single ended amplifiers! Yeah- the difference is noticeable in a big way. Accuracy and power together cannot be beaten.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2009, 01:03 pm »
It's one of the most unique amplifiers I have made.  :D

Obtaining triode sound without expensive tubes is a thrill. It has a liquidity to it that's difficult to match. It's just right. Mids and lows are natural, bass is fast and firm. There's not doubt that it's a 100% triode amplifier. You could determine that blindfolded. I enjoy the high frequency resolution too. It's 'all there' in the proper proportions.

That NS-6N7 description sounds pretty sweet.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2009, 01:12 pm »
A new page has been added to the web site: http://sites.google.com/site/niteshadeaudio/options-guide

Amplifier options are available to customize the qualities of our mainstream NS series or for custom amplifiers.

NOTE: We have added and removed some models.

New Additions:

NS-30: A 30 watt stereo 6L6 tube amplifier

NS-100: 100 Watt 6L6 monoblocks

NS-10: Flagship single ended 6L6 amplifier

All of our amplifiers use the standard 17x10 steel enclosure, even the monoblocks. The Single Ended EL84/6V6 amplifier can be made on a compact chassis if you would prefer.

Please visit our web site and have a good look around!  :D

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2009, 09:56 pm »
What is the difference between Single Ended and Push-Pull tube amplification?

I will start with the easy difference: Power Output. Push-Pull amplifiers can produce considerably more power than most single ended amplifiers. If your speakers are rated below 92db, it is better to stick with a push-pull amplifier or use an amplifier rated at least 30 watts/channel.

Sonic differences: I am not going to say that one kind is better than the other because nothing could be further from the truth. Single ended amplifiers, to me, have a 'silky' sound to them. There is a certain cohesion between notes and vocals have a softer tone to them. If I were to use one word to describe most single ended amplifier it would be smooth. Very easy to listen to and enjoyable. Push-Pull amplifiers have a boldness to them that can be thrilling.  Which one do I like? I personal favorites are: BOTH!  :D That's not simply because I make a promote them. It's because I like hearing different 'slants', different takes on a song. Which kind is closer to reality? (Maybe I should say the source recording...) It all depends on what you're listening to.

Just to make life more interesting in a positive way, I started using a self-splitting push-pull circuit that is a mixture between single-ended and 'standard' push pull circuits. This circuit cannot produce as much power as an actively driven push-pull driver stage, but it does possess a single ended liquidity that's quite enamoring, plus it provides a means producing a higher output wattage vs a single ended amplifier. So - you can have your cake and eat it too. I have made several amplifiers with this design and enjoy the warm high end they produce. Bass and midrange are great too. 

My answers are over simplified since there are so many models of each kind and at times qualities can cross over depending on application, circuit, transformers, etc...  I just wanted you to have a basic idea of what was going on. Please feel free to add on!  :D

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2009, 02:11 pm »
Hello Everybody

You might be aware of our Classic Series amplifiers. We can make new amplifiers using the iron from vintage amps. If you have an amplifier that's not working so well any more and there's simpley too much wrong with it- we can recover all the transformers, place them in a new enclosure and provide a new circuit for them to run in with all new parts.  If the amplifier has a bad power transformer, the output iron can still be used. Get this: Even if an output transformer is fried, we can get a substitute for it!

If you want something new to listen to and a chance to save ALLOT of money (because transformers are expensive), we know you will like this approach. There's no reason why that old (or new) tube amplifier should be sitting around doing nothing.

Brown

« Reply #10 on: 22 Feb 2009, 03:27 pm »
Hello Everybody

You might be aware of our Classic Series amplifiers. We can make new amplifiers using the iron from vintage amps. If you have an amplifier that's not working so well any more and there's simpley too much wrong with it- we can recover all the transformers, place them in a new enclosure and provide a new circuit for them to run in with all new parts.  If the amplifier has a bad power transformer, the output iron can still be used. Get this: Even if an output transformer is fried, we can get a substitute for it!

If you want something new to listen to and a chance to save ALLOT of money (because transformers are expensive), we know you will like this approach. There's no reason why that old (or new) tube amplifier should be sitting around doing nothing.

Now THAT is thinking out of the box. Have a Fisher 101 intergrated with some nice transformers collecting dust. What can we do ?

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #11 on: 22 Feb 2009, 11:45 pm »
Firsher equipment had some SWEET iron.  We're talking 'the good stuff' because it's so broad banded. I could make either a power or integrated amplifier out of that and the resolution would be considerably higher than the original circuit.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #12 on: 24 Feb 2009, 03:27 pm »

Niteshade Audio NS-50 with the Limited Edition style layout & colors

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #13 on: 25 Feb 2009, 12:38 pm »
Take a look at our F2A Single Ended amplifier:

This amplifier is similar to the NS-10, which is a single ended amplifier capable of utilizing the EL34, 6L6, 6550 and KT-88 tubes. There are several options to choose from to customize any amplifier I make. Here's a link to my options page: http://sites.google.com/site/niteshadeaudio/options-guide

NS-10 hardware features:
1] Triode/Pentode Switch
2] Tunable Bias
3] Variable Negative feedback
4] Streamline circuit
5] Constructed with double insulated tube amplifier wire
6] Flameproof resistors
7] Choke filtered power supply
8] Tube rectified (via a 5U4 or 5AR4)
9] Extra heavy power transformer
10] Wide bandwidth output transformers rated for 25 watts each
11] 17x10 steel enclosure
12] IEC power socket
13] Industrial capacitors

A few options from the options list are standard, please keep that in mind while looking through it. If someone were to like alternative coupling capacitors, I would he happy to oblige. The carbon composition resistors will work great as well. A fantastic compatible upgrade would be the tube regulator circuit. Absolutely no noise can reach the drive section with this option. There is no reason to have switchable tube/SS rectification. The power output is below 30 watts/channel, so there would be negligible differences. This amplifier is HD (Heavy Duty) rated as-is.  All of my amplifiers are constructed for maximum EMI elimination- meaning stray EMI currents are virtually eliminated.

While designing this amplifier, transparency was my goal. I added options to make it compatible with a large array of  audio systems, without any sonic compromises.  Several people asked for a triode/pentode switch, so now it's available as standard equipment.

I was asked to start a thread about the NS-10...here it is! Thanks Ed for the suggestion.  :D

markC

« Reply #14 on: 1 Mar 2009, 03:52 am »
You asked for criticism, so... The on/off switch is cheap and tacky, and while some like the "chicken head", knobs, I do not.
That said the fit and finish appear to be quite well done and in line with your "50's quality and solid product approach.
I suppose the knobs go along with this theme, but the power switch is unexceptable in my opinion.

EDS_

« Reply #15 on: 1 Mar 2009, 05:47 am »
Quote from: mark link=topic=64817.msg 599558#msg 599558 date=1235879544
You asked for criticism, so... The on/off switch is cheap and tacky, and while some like the "chicken head", knobs, I do not.
That said the fit and finish appear to be quite well done and in line with your "50's quality and solid product approach.
I suppose the knobs go along with this theme, but the power switch is unacceptable in my opinion.

My fairly expensive Cary SLI - 80 has a nearly identical on/off switch and another for headphone/speaker selection. 

cujobob

« Reply #16 on: 1 Mar 2009, 06:15 am »
My Mcalister PP-150-8 has the same power switch, which honestly, is one of the things I can't stand only because I'm afraid it'll snap off.  It performs its job fine and doesn't really detract from the appearance because of its small size, though.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #17 on: 1 Mar 2009, 10:34 am »
Don't like my power switch... geez.  :bawl:

Ok- I will look into other varieties.

I was also thinking about wood trim and various other nifty things.

Great comments!  :D 

Bemopti123

« Reply #18 on: 1 Mar 2009, 12:56 pm »
Don't like my power switch... geez.  :bawl:

Ok- I will look into other varieties.

I was also thinking about wood trim and various other nifty things.

Great comments!  :D 

I think the most important thing about components is

#1, the components and the design execution that will contribute to the sound. 

#2 cosmetic.  Some tend to have a tendency to get hung up in cosmetic niceties that do not contribute anything to do the sound and yet, inflates the price.  Sure, it will look nice on certain setting...  but what if the piece you paid for sound 1/2 as good and yet looks 2X as attractive?  This is something we should always take into consideration. 

I like my pieces to be rather nondescript, as they become "invisible" to the equipment police, ahem, my wife. 

There is something retro/industrial to your the Niteshade pieces, something sorely lacking in all the 2 for 1k pieces that are made in China...most of which fall in the "1/4 as good sounding and 4X a gaudy" pieces you will ever find. 

Of course, this is just me, other people will have different tastes.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: 1 Mar 2009, 02:24 pm by Bemopti123 »

ohenry

« Reply #19 on: 1 Mar 2009, 01:49 pm »
Just be careful if you choose those cute molded plastic power switches, I've had a few break.  Granted, they came from the Rat Shack, but they looked well-made from outward appearances.  It seems the little steel ball inside the rocker assembly becomes dislodged.   :evil:

I'm sure there are better switches out there that won't become problematic.

Long live the metal toggles!