Niteshade Audio amplifiers

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: Niteshade Audio amplifiers
« Reply #40 on: 22 May 2009, 04:00 pm »
Did you know that high powered tube amplifiers satisfy more people that low powered amps?If you're new into tube amplification, it is best to go with something that has some power behind it.

It's a giant wives tale that push-pull amplifiers do not have the resolution of single ended designs. At least that's true at Niteshade Audio. I like single-ended amps, but push-pull amplifiers offer the best bang for the buck.

Wattage is important and doubly so if your speakers are 90db efficient and under.

JeffBrown

« Reply #41 on: 3 Jun 2009, 05:19 pm »
Blair,
I like that design.  Clean simple compact mono blocks.  Who could ask for more?

Jeff Brown

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #42 on: 4 Jun 2009, 10:54 am »
Those were good amplifiers! The chassis was VERY heavy and completely hand made by a local metal worker.
« Last Edit: 5 Jun 2009, 12:11 pm by Niteshade »

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #43 on: 5 Jun 2009, 02:59 pm »
We provide tremendous value per dollar. This fact with a 25% trade-in deduction warrants a celebration.  :beer:

Custom amplifiers are eligible for our 25% off trade-in sale!

We'd like to hear from you. It would be shame to let this sale go past.

Oh- Take a look at our web site!

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #44 on: 17 Jun 2009, 08:10 pm »
Gotta LOVE spring cleaning!

Up to 25% off of new equipment with a tube amplifier trade-in!

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #45 on: 18 Jun 2009, 12:13 pm »
When you get the chance, please take a look at our web site.

Thank you,

Blair

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #46 on: 20 Jun 2009, 08:22 pm »
Niteshade Audio has a web site page called "Niteshade News"

Here is the link: http://sites.google.com/site/niteshadeaudio/about-us/niteshade-news

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #47 on: 23 Jun 2009, 11:59 pm »
"OMG! My amp blew up!"

Well- It wasn't my amp!

Apply this in First Person to those it applies to.

I'm not making fun or anything like that. This is serious and makes people very, very sad.  :cry: :cry:

Naturally there is hope! If you have an amp with one of those lousy circuit boards in it and there's a hole burnt through it, or at least it's fairly crispy- I can do something with it. Even if lightening hit it, there is hope!   :D

Good iron is valuable iron and should be put to good use. We know how to make it do things the original manufacturer didn't think was possible!

Stop singing the blues and start listening to them instead.  :dance:

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #48 on: 24 Jun 2009, 12:03 pm »
I forgot to mention something: A couple of times a 6L6 was placed in a 6SN7 socket and visa-versa by mistake. Naturally there was concern. No concern was necessary! No damage done to the amp, no even the slightest bit.  :beer:

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #49 on: 25 Jun 2009, 01:26 pm »
Bad things can happen, but we know how to not only fix damaged amps, but improve them with new circuits. If the tube sockets are mounted on the chassis and not a PC board, it is possible to rewire via the point to to point method and discard the board.

If the amp uses recessed sockets mounted on a PC board, it is best to relocate the transformers to a new enclosure and design an amp around them.

Printed circuits can be repaired as well. I have done this more times than I can count over the years. One of my favorite repair jobs was with an IF amp board in a Kenwood TS-930S. I repaired the circuit and modified it so that the problem would never happen again. In fact, I increased the receiver's gain AND reduced noise atthe same time. Before the repair, the amp section was running hot enough that it practically burnt itself all the way through a fiberglass board! Poor receive performance is what cued me into the problem.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #50 on: 25 Jun 2009, 11:10 pm »
Along with repairing tube amplifiers, we refurbish them as well.

Refurbishing is a good thing.  It totally eliminates worries and the dreaded: "OMG! My amp blew up!" sentence.

Some good news: Depending on the age & condition of an older amp, it may not cost much to refurbish it! A pleasant surprise may not be far away...

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #51 on: 26 Jun 2009, 01:12 pm »
Some people do not want to get into tube audio because it is believed to be a hassle.

Tube gear is never a hassle. Well, cheaply made tube gear is, but that goes for anything that's cheap.

Everything we make is point to point wired. That's a boon for reliability.

Our NS-30 series amplifiers can be made to automatically bias the power tubes.  :D
There are never any adjustments, the amp runs very cool. Cool tubes last a long, long time.

Tube gear is never a burden. All tubes are user serviceable. Our NS-30 line does not require any special equipment or technical skill to keep operation for years.

NS-50's are user friendly too. Tunable Biasing provides a means of providing the power tube's operational sweet spot without the use of meters or anything special.  Technical skills are not necessary for replacing the 50's series tubes either.

User serviceability plus either automatic biasing or the easy to use Tunable Bias system places a new light on tube technology. Total enjoyment without worry or fuss.

We're always happy to answer questions. If you have questions about tubes in general, we can help.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #52 on: 26 Jun 2009, 11:03 pm »
This is  feedback from Audiogon. It can be viewed there as well.
_______________________________________ _________________________
A very nice preamp for the money. Simple as can be design, without sonics that don't get in the way of the music. Thanks.
  Positive by  Buyer on 06-22-09  re: Preamplifier

The el84 amp arrived as advertised in good shape. IT sounds very nice. Blair is highly recommended.
  Positive by  Buyer on 10-03-08  re: Amplifier

Great sounding amp,fast shipping,pleasure to do business with, Thank's Blair!
  Positive by  Buyer on 09-07-08  re: Amplifier

I have purchased two amplifiers from Blair, one for each ear, and they are both as musical as one could hope for. Excellent products and highly reccomended. A++++++
  Positive by  Buyer on 09-06-08  re: Amplifier

Open communicator who cares about his products. The piece has many of the virtues I sought by purchasing a small tube amp. It is inexpensively packaged, but hand-built and well-made.
  Positive by  Buyer on 08-21-08  re: Amplifier

What a fabulous amplifier. Smooth transaction, wonderful product. A++++++++
  Positive by  Buyer on 07-23-08  re: Integrated Amp

As time goes on more reviews will be available as well as feedback. Some equipment is going out for professional review too!

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #53 on: 5 Jul 2009, 04:14 pm »
Custom amplifiers are down right exciting! Getting exactly what you want and a good possibility of getting more than you thought possible is what it's all about.  Niteshade Audio is a tube lover's buffet. We have limitless design capabilities,  understand tubes inside out and know how to match equipment to your existing system. Variable negative feedback is one prime example of the most powerful matching tools on our market.  This feature now comes standard on all our amplifiers.

Our finishing process has been upgraded! We now have a nearly limitless color selection of tough automotive paints and clearcoats. Solids, semi-metallics, shifting colors, pearl based...all within reach and professionally applied. We realize eye candy is as important as sonic enjoyment.

What are our specialties?

Push-Pull
Single Ended
Single Ended Parallel
Self-Splitting
Preamplifiers, Passive & Active

Something new: Battery Operated Filaments!  Get into our new B.O.F. technology! It's not lavishly expensive and battery life is exceptionally good.

I would be happy to hear from you. Please email or drop us a land line.  :D

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #54 on: 6 Jul 2009, 12:43 pm »
Why not place the entire amplifier under the power of batteries? It's completely unnecessary and is not feasible for anything but small amplifiers.

The issue we're dealing with is what's called filament EMI. Traditionally filaments run off of AC. Some do make filtered DC supplies for filaments, but it involves making a low voltage DC power supply. This is doable, but I wanted an alternative method: Run the filaments off of a battery!

High voltage is easy to filter. That's not an issue. Nearly 100% of any noise in a tube system comes from the filaments, as long as the high voltage supply is made correctly.

Anything we make can use battery operated filaments, even our 50 watt/channel stereo amplifier!  Run time is totally dependent on battery size, and big batteries are not terribly expensive. No more so than good transformers! Battery boxes can be kept out of sight...or not. Ours will look good.

We do mods as well. Would you like your present amp/preamp to use battery operated filaments?

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #55 on: 7 Jul 2009, 11:42 am »
Your amp/preamp's filaments share a close relationship to the power grid.  High voltage is nothing to worry about since it typically goes through many stages of filtering and is quite stable.

Running filaments via a battery supply will insure no hum will reach your speakers. Run time is completely based on how big of a battery you wish to accommodate.  The kind of battery we prefer is the AGM style- they come in all shapes, sizes, capacities and are not expensive. Battery boxes are not unsightly. They are custom made and professionally finished.

We can make battery systems for any preamplifier or amplifier, including monoblocks! We can even make units that will work with 845's and other tubes with varying filament voltages.

Naturally, all of our amplifiers and preamplifiers are B.O.F. upgradeable.
« Last Edit: 7 Jul 2009, 07:08 pm by Niteshade »

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #56 on: 8 Jul 2009, 08:25 pm »
Ahhh...not to EVER have to worry about AC hum again.... We have two ways to do it and they're guaranteed to work flawlessly.

Think of it....high power tube amps with ZERO filament EMI!

Not only that, but this upgrade reduces stress on the main power transformer! Cooler operation is never a bad thing.

As stated earlier, we can make pure DC filament supplies without batteries. The choice is yours.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #57 on: 9 Jul 2009, 01:35 am »
Cathodes are very conducive to filament noise.  Battery power or a very robust specially made low voltage DC power supply can eliminate an incredible amount of noise- like all of it. It also provides the amp a means of using tubes that sound great but are prone to filament leakage, such as the Tung Sol 6SN7GTB and a few others that are very prone to filament EMI.

Amp size is not an issue, not even monoblocks!

This is one of my favorite new upgrades available on my amps & preamps. We can install this upgrade for other amp & preamp models too.

Please write or call for price quotations. DC is the way to go for filaments and it can mean a new life for your amplifier. Keep the amp, loose the noise!

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #58 on: 9 Jul 2009, 02:55 pm »
Three ways we can provide a good, stable DC source for tube filaments:

1. Analog supply
2. Switching supply
3. Battery

I don't know whether it makes a difference to you folks or not how your DC is supplied. I like all three because there are no issues with any of them.

Here's a guide:

Switching supplies are light-weight and small. They weigh around 50% less than analog supplies. There are a couple of different grades to choose from as well.

Analog supplies: Big, beefy and not complex. Very few components are involved. They can be made internally or outboard, the outboard ones will be higher quality.

Battery: Size determines run time. The simplest of DC supplies and completely off the mains. Most first generation tube gear ran off of batteries, typically dry cells that could be purchased at a drug store! I like battery supplies because they can be user-serviceable.

We can upgrade nearly any amp or preamp to use a DC filament supply source!

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #59 on: 12 Jul 2009, 07:44 pm »
Have you had your dose of DC today?

No all upgrades are cut and dry, some work differently in different situations.

Not this one! A situation does not exist that would cause EMI to reappear form the filaments once this upgrade is installed. Once it's gone, it's gone for good!

EMI problems created by filaments cannot return after our upgrade has been installed. It's impossible! 

How often are such cut & dry solutions found in our audio industry? 

Our DC mods are available for ANY tube amplifier or preamplifier that is hand wired.  Fact is, I'm not being prejudice against printed circuit models. To make this work with a printed circuit model, traces have to be cut and wires added. The board has to be accessible too. I can actually do the mod to PC based amps & preamps, but it will cost more.