Niteshade Audio amplifiers

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
Re: Niteshade Audio amplifiers
« Reply #20 on: 3 Mar 2009, 02:00 pm »
The best quality switch for the money has always been the 1950's style metal toggle switch.  Don't forget how easy they are to replace! The press-in plastic rockers make a good fashion statement but otherwise are 100% useless.

Time proven designs are not always 'hip' but we must look at the reasons why they still exist. Longevity and ease of repair make up for allot of other things. A device with working switches is worth much more than one with non-working fancy switches or switches where you have to use a phone book sized catalog to attempt a match.

Non proprietary components make electronics more valuable in the long run. Take it from somebody who refurbishes vintage gear.

Having said all that, I will __still__ look for a compromise!  :thumb:

hmen

« Reply #21 on: 3 Mar 2009, 02:40 pm »
My Atma-phere M60's, a couple of Carys I've owned my Decwares and my RWA sig 30 all have that metal toggle. Aside form the reliability issue, IMHO it looks better with that kind of design than a plastic switch.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #22 on: 3 Mar 2009, 06:34 pm »

Our latest edition! (OK everybody get excited!!!)  :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

You can read about it on this page: http://sites.google.com/site/niteshadeaudio/Home/niteshade-amplifiers

I didn't make this amp specifically for single driver speakers, but did make it so that it will work especially good with them!

Naturally, you have a choice of colors.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #23 on: 5 Mar 2009, 01:09 am »
I have a good question for those who use tube amplifiers: How many of you use some form of active cooling?

This is a difficult subject to broach since so many of you want a 'dead quiet' listening room. That's quite understandable- but I believe a quiet cooling solution would be beneficial.

Cool tubes last longer. This is not a brand specific study of either tubes or tube equipment- but a simple fact. Actually, solid state gear can benefit from forced air cooling in many situations.

It's something to think about.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #24 on: 7 Mar 2009, 02:50 pm »
Push-Pull-Parallel amplifiers are typically for high wattage applications. I thought it would be interesting to mention a PPP EL84 system.  This configuration sounds EXCELLENT! Just imagine EL84 sound- but without the typical wattage limitations and you've got it.

One will be made in the future...or by request at any time.  :D

« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2009, 12:21 pm by Niteshade »

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #25 on: 7 Mar 2009, 11:32 pm »
Tube Amplifier Configurations:

1} Single Ended
2} Push Pull
3} Push Pull Parallel
3} Self Splitting Push Pull
4} OTL (Push Pull, of course)
5} Circlotron (Cousin to OTL)

Power tubes for the job:
6L6
6V6
EL84
El34
KT88
KT77
KT66
300B
2A3
GM70
350B (Valve Art)
6N7 (not a typo)
6SN7GTA/GTB (not a typo)

A mind boggling number of possibilities! Every tube has their strengths and there are ideal ways to exploit each tube type. Do you have a favorite combination?
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2009, 11:13 am by Niteshade »

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #26 on: 9 Mar 2009, 01:26 pm »
Stridency: A politically correct term for annoying high frequencies. Sometimes they are described as metallic, thin, overbearing, screechy, etc...

Within my options list on the web site is something called Variable Negative Feedback. I would have to say this is one of the best amplifier features of all time. Do not confuse this feature with a tone control because it works on different principles. The circuit analyzes the impedance curve of your speakers. In doing so, overbearing tonality (mostly found in the high frequency region) can be eliminated. Since the circuit is adjustable, the amplifier is guaranteed to be compatible with your speakers.

A FACT: Brightness is something not to be looked at negatively! If your speakers or a song are too bright, they can be toned down. The opposite isn't always true: A song or speakers that are lacking in the high frequencies cannot always be adjusted for. It's easier to remove than to build on something that may not even exist.

Our Variable Negative Feedback option can save you hundreds and thousands of dollars. It takes the guess work out of sculpting your system to your liking.

Please call or write for more information. We're glad to help!

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #27 on: 10 Mar 2009, 12:14 pm »
Most of our amplifiers utilize the 6L6 and are push-pull. This is our starting configuration. From here, we have amplifiers ranging from 15 to 50 watts a channel all because of a remarkably tough, inexpensive and incredibly good sounding tube. The 6L6 comes in more flavors than any other tube, breaks up the latest and is incredibly efficient.

The 6L6 is best suited for push pull, push pull parallel and single ended circuits. Many probably have never thought of a single ended 6L6 amp before. A one word description: FANTASTIC! Single ended amplifiers have many endearing qualities and the 6L6 will deliver them: Smooth and silky, yet robust with great linearity across the spectrum.

6L6:  The final word in power tubes when it comes to practicality and extreme performance.

Oh...what about all the other power tubes, you ask? Tune in again for more details.... Every model has their place and strengths.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #28 on: 12 Mar 2009, 11:28 am »
One of my favorite push pull circuits is self splitting. There is no phase splitter involved. From the top, one of these amplifiers looks like a single ended parallel design.  I have made several amplifiers from this approach and the concept has won my hart due to its performance and streamlined topology.

Sonically, my self splitting circuits are very clean. They always operate in the Class A region (because they have to). They have a slightly more bold flavor than a single ended design, yet not as 'in your face' as my other push-pull designs. It's the ideal hybrid tonality- a mixture between push pull and single ended tonality. It's the perfect, "you can have your cake and eat it too" design. Do I like it? Yes! I thoroughly enjoy all my designs and this is why I offer them to you. 

What are the benefits of this circuit? First, you get common mode noise rejection, where with a single ended amplifier you have to rely on brute power supply filtration. Second, if you want more power than a single ended design offers without sacrificing that special single ended tonality- this is your ticket. Third, there are never any biasing adjustments. 

Any tube can be used. Do you want El34's, El84's, 6L6's......? Anything goes!

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #29 on: 13 Mar 2009, 11:08 pm »
Besides the 6L6, another favorite of mine is the 6V6. Designed to provide roughly 50% of the power of a 6L6, yet it still provides 100% of the 6L6's clean output characteristics.

Just like the 6L6, the 6V6 is efficient. Low filament current draw and high gain make it possible to design a high performance and low weight amplifier. On top of this, the 6V6 does not produce much heat.

If you ever want an amplifier designed for efficient (92 db and up) speakers, keep the 6V6 in mind.  I know you will like it.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #30 on: 13 Mar 2009, 11:30 pm »
Limited Edition review: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=65808.0

The Limited Edition is a unique amplifier due to its single tap secondary output transformers, dual rectifiers and massive power transformer. All the components are vintage, meaning they came from amplifiers made around the 60's.

Within this thread you will find an NS-50 based on the Limited Edition. All new components are used and it does have multi-tap secondaries. While the Limited's  iron is unique, we can recreate its performance with the NS-50.

In fact- a customer ordered an NS-50 recently and we took things a step further. The NS-50 that will be displayed within the next couple days has tube rectifiation and solid state rectification! There is a switch so you can toggle between them.  Plus, we installed the optional 60 watt output transformers and a heavy-duty filtering system. It's a beauty inside and out. To top if off, this amplifier has our Tunable Bias and Variable Negative Feedback.  We designed this amp to be prepared for anything. 

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #31 on: 15 Mar 2009, 11:38 am »
The 6N7 is a deliciously good sounding power tube. According to the literature, around 20 watts can be developed from a pair of these running in Class B with both sections tied together. I run them in Class AB1 with both sections tied together for 10 watts. In fact, it's an incredible 10 watts of wonderful triode power. 300B and 2A3 enthusiasts would love this tube the way I use it. A 6N7 amplifier is very,very quiet. For those of you who have incredibly efficient speakers AND enjoy triode sound- here you go. The 6N7 requires a high current, low impedance drive section making it immune to many of the noises typical amplifier circuits get battered with.

How does it sound? Very linear, clear, easy on the ears. It's not a 'fat' sounding tube, nor does it shrug off bass or favor high frequencies. I like clean, natural sounding gear and this tube provides me a means to get it. On top of great sound, these tubes develop little heat. They should have called it the 6EN7 with "E" standing for efficiency.  I would have to call this tube the ideal triode.

I forgot to mention something: They're disgustingly INEXPENSIVE!  :banana piano:  If there was a value to performance ratio attached to tubes, how's OFF THE SCALE sound?

A note of high interest: I can gang these for more power.   :drool:

I hope everyone who adores triodes on this board sees this post.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2009, 11:11 am by Niteshade »

whubbard

« Reply #32 on: 18 Mar 2009, 08:51 pm »
Hi Blair,

I'm just reposting what I feel was posted in the wrong circle. Basically I am just wondering if you think you could send one of your amps to be reviewed? I've only been able to find two reviews and while they were both positive, my only suggestion would be that you should get your product more well known, and better exposed. I will probably be considering a tube amp for a two channel (one amp) and I would love to support a US Manufacture and AudioCircle member.

-West

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #33 on: 19 Mar 2009, 11:13 am »
Hello West-

Very good idea! I will be making amplifiers for review soon. There will be one NS-50 and a lower power amp for reviews. There will be a Classic Series available too.  :D

A formal invitation:  Everybody's welcome to jump in and ask questions, make observations, etc.. If you want to know about something all you have to do is ask.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #34 on: 20 Mar 2009, 11:06 am »
There are two reviews on this page: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=95.0

The LE-100a has been renamed the NS-30. The Limited Edition is part of our Classic Series.

I am working on getting more reviews....

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #35 on: 26 Mar 2009, 03:12 pm »

NEW!  :D Niteshade Dual Tube Preamplifier.

New Circuit, New Appearance, New Colors! The shown model has a distinct finish that changes color density relative to your viewing angle. Color is Polarized Gold/Bronze. Otherwise known as Eye Candy  :drool:

Please visit our web site and go to the Preamplifiers page for details.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #36 on: 27 Mar 2009, 11:53 am »
Our new preamp has several options packages. Here are a few:

1. Tube rectification
2. Choke filtration
3. Parallel  tube configuration (add more tubes in parallel for lower output impedance)
4. Bi Amp & Record loop outputs

ASK about the AudioCircle members discount!  :hyper:

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #37 on: 5 May 2009, 11:43 am »
There's a bit of misinformation floating around: Why do people believe high power amps do not work well with efficient speakers? I can't understand that! My Klipsch RF-83's LOVE and I mean ADORE powerful amps and they are 100db efficient. Sure- they work superbly with 1-3 watt amps as well, but for home theater applications, I want something that will rattle the windows during a movie's demanding special effects passages. I want AIR to be moved in great quantities and precisely! I also want an amplifier that can resolve delicate musical instrument qualities. This demands resolution and the ability to process peak demands without clipping.

The NS-50 is about power and accuracy. There's no better way to describe it. Our special edition NS-50 is $1,800.00 and the standard NS-50 is $1,400.00.

We're always open for questions!
Have you seen our web site?
« Last Edit: 6 May 2009, 10:11 am by Niteshade »

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #38 on: 6 May 2009, 10:15 am »
NS-50: Powerful, configurable,easy on the eyes.

Niteshade

• Niteshade Audio
« Reply #39 on: 7 May 2009, 11:14 am »
Enough positive things simply cannot be said about the NS-50.

Flexibility- There is NO OTHER PARAMETER as important when it comes to amplification.

Know what flexibility does? It ends the, "This amp isn't right for me" scenario.

Most off the shelf amplifiers have a fixed tonality. It's AS-IS and cannot be changed unless heavy modifications are performed. But guess what? If those mods are set in stone and you don't like them- it goes back to the shop for $$$$$ more in parts in labor. People go through it all the time and this is precisely why mods exist. Then there's mods for the mods....

I like having external controls that can tune the amp to my system. I also like the fact that I can make an amplifier that's custom to my tastes. Custom work is not out of range financially.  Our prices are very competitive and much of the time our custom work prices trump the off the shelf prices of other manufacturers by a wide margin.

Let me set something straight with all of you: Variable Negative Feedback and Tunable Biasing are powerful tools. Having switchable diode and tube rectification is a tremendous boon. Getting the amp made according to your personal wishes is BIG! These are some of the things that constitute flexibility and my claim the NS-50 will work perfectly for a majority of people who swap amps all the time . These are technical reasons why, not just me stumping for my product. It's important to supply reasons for a claim. My reasons are technical, sound and justified.

I am always open for questions. The NS-50 is a very good amplifier and can be made with multitudes of upgrades and configurations.