Squeezebox Server 7.4

Wayne1

Squeezebox Server 7.4
« on: 29 Sep 2009, 08:50 pm »
The new OS for all the Logitech Squeezeboxes has been released.

It can be downloaded here

Some people who ONLY use the SB to play music from the 'net, without using a computer, might have some trouble. I had no trouble with the download or installation.

I really like the new interface for use with the SqueezeBox controller. It is a lot faster. The web interface also offers increased speed and a few more options.

I think this is one of the last steps Logitech needed to go through prior to release of Touch.

evan1

Re: Squeezebox Server 7.4
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2009, 10:21 pm »
Just downloaded , but when I play an album from my playlist it no longer shows the track names

Val

« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2009, 10:31 pm »
I installed it this morning. I couldn't get SS to appear on my web browser no matter what I did. Finally I rebooted and everything was as good as with 7.3.3 and, as Wayne says, a bit faster and more convenient.

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2009, 10:40 pm »
evan1,

You do need to give SB Server some time to re-scan your music data base. Depending on the size, it may take a few hours.

For me, it was able to go through my 4100+ albums in a couple of hours.

You also may have to go through it to reset all your preferences.

emac

« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2009, 03:33 am »
Anyone noticing any differences in the sound w/ the new server?   

funkmonkey

« Reply #5 on: 30 Sep 2009, 01:50 pm »
Thanks for the heads up Wayne.  :thumb:

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2009, 02:32 pm »
Installed this last night and so far it seems happy, at least in regards to indexing and finding things. The default interface also seems more responsive than the previous versions.  :thumb:

Haven't listened with the main SB yet but the SB3 in my living room seems to be just fine with the new version.

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2009, 04:45 pm »
I installed it this morning. I couldn't get SS to appear on my web browser no matter what I did. Finally I rebooted and everything was as good as with 7.3.3 and, as Wayne says, a bit faster and more convenient.

I'm having the same problem.  I cannot get the server to load, and I've already rebooted once.  It's already scanned my system.

Personally, I've been disappointed in the software for these systems.  Every time I download a new version, I run into some problem.  For instance, one version caused the clock on my SB to freeze.  Another problem I had, which I tried every trick in the book to fix, was that if I turned off the SB or the sever, upon turning them on, I'd get something my wife selected months ago (Kenny Loggins -- oh the horror!).  In other words, for every restart, Kennly Loggins was the album selected.  I never figured out how to stop this, and one day it went away. 

Now, I can't open the actual server program. 

It's getting to the point where I'm ready to look for another system.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #8 on: 30 Sep 2009, 05:06 pm »
I'm having problems too! :( I loaded 7.4 last night and it worked OK but some functions like the New Music function only worked sporadically and with various errors. I then shut the computer down for the night. I usually run it 24/7. Rebooted this morning and 7.4 wouldn't respond to shortcuts and didn't load. Hmmm.... :scratch:

-Roy

mca

« Reply #9 on: 1 Oct 2009, 12:07 am »
How do I get back to 7.3?

bprice2

« Reply #10 on: 1 Oct 2009, 12:33 am »
Outside of the few little hiccups I had with getting Inguz back up and running, everything went fine.

emac

« Reply #11 on: 1 Oct 2009, 01:36 am »
Buggy piece of junk.  It doesn't open the folder that I have most of my music in, and Squeezecenter has already stopped sending a signal twice tonight. 

So, how do we go back to 7.3 again?

ctviggen

« Reply #12 on: 1 Oct 2009, 09:01 am »
When I double click the Squeeze Server Icon, I get a control panel and that's it.  Is that what I'm supposed to be getting? 

If so, I have to go back to an earlier version (and like an idiot, I deleted mine) -- I like using the computer instead of the remote to control what's playing and what I select. 

firedog

Re: Squeezebox Server 7.4 Duet controller interface
« Reply #13 on: 1 Oct 2009, 11:00 am »
1. I don't like the fonts on the controller - too big - lots of info is "off screen".

There are already "bug" complaints at slimdevices about it.

I think they made the UI for the new radio and Touch, not so much for the Duet Controller.

2. BTW, for a cleaner install, uninstall 7.3.3 or previous version first. It asks 2 questions- the second asks if you want to keep your definitions and preferences. (I don't remember the phrasing). Say "yes".

This makes it less likely you will have problems after the 7.4 install. I got this from Logitech employees at slimdevices forum.

firedog

« Reply #14 on: 1 Oct 2009, 11:06 am »

Uninstall 7.4 and then reinstall 7.3.

Wayne1

« Reply #15 on: 1 Oct 2009, 01:25 pm »
When I double click the Squeeze Server Icon, I get a control panel and that's it.  Is that what I'm supposed to be getting? 

If so, I have to go back to an earlier version (and like an idiot, I deleted mine) -- I like using the computer instead of the remote to control what's playing and what I select.

I'm not sure about how your computer is set up, but in mine, I have a SqueezeBox Icon in the bottom right in my taskbar. If I right-click on it, I get offered options. One of them is open web control.

In MY system, I have encountered no bugs. It just works. There may be other programs running on some other systems that might cause some problems.

Take a look through the Release Notes Wiki for more information about SB Server 7.4

lcrim

« Reply #16 on: 1 Oct 2009, 01:56 pm »
I switched to 7.4 testerday. 

The installation program uninstalled the 7.3 version I had been using previously, which was a bit slow but it never offered any other option. 

I did get a screen that asked if I wanted to keep my definitions and preferences which I chose.

I had a few early drops in playback, immediately after updating the firmware, since then the 7.4 release has played flawlessly.

I rebooted that computer to test if that would be an issue and the control panel launched during the reboot process but I manually closed it.  Another reboot to see if the launching of the control panel happened every reboot and it didn't.

I can still browse to the SqueezeBox Server on that PC with a web browser from other computers on the subnet.

So far, its good.

mca

« Reply #17 on: 1 Oct 2009, 02:27 pm »

I figured that much, but the problem is, I cant find 7.3 anywhere

Wayne1

« Reply #18 on: 1 Oct 2009, 02:54 pm »