Squeezebox Server 7.4

madfloyd

Re: Squeezebox Server 7.4
« Reply #60 on: 10 Oct 2009, 12:56 pm »
Thank you so much, Randy.  Wow - it does look great, I'm buying it!

Audioclyde

« Reply #61 on: 10 Oct 2009, 01:29 pm »
Madfloyd,

I love prontosqeeze on my pronto 9400; I don't if there are some Pronto's it won't work with or not, but its a definite pleasure to use.  My only 'wish' is that I could choose the digital inputs for my MW Transporter with it (Nick, the developer, said a while back he was likely coming up with an update soon, but didn't know if it would include that option).

Enjoy!  (and thanks to Tedb and others that steered me this way)

Randy

kck

« Reply #62 on: 19 Oct 2009, 08:13 pm »
A quick two cents here. Installed 7.4 yesterday and generally happy. What I did notice was the FW 130 (I think this is new with 7.4 but stand open to correction, as I haven't messed with this for a while) sounds better than what I was using before, which is FW83. For a good while I had been using FW15 and liked it, then when it started bugging out I went to 83 on recommendations of others. Was happy with it, but I think 130 is more relaxed and ever-so-slightly warmer, with a bit more separation and inner detail. (or I could be imaging it all) :roll:
Disclaimer... this is with brief listening. Will report any other change if it is noticed. Looking forward to hearing if others can report any preference for one firmware over the other.
Note: I use mgalusha's firmware selector tool, great app. But 7.4 uses a different firmware directory so you'll have to move the fw file(s) to the new directory for the selector to find them.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #63 on: 19 Oct 2009, 08:22 pm »
Since I changed to IE8, I've not had a single issue with 7.4.......  :scratch:

I didn't think it was supposed to work that way. Granted, SS runs in a browser page, but....  :dunno:
Regardless, I'll be sticking with 7.4. Looks good so far.

Bob

madfloyd

« Reply #64 on: 19 Oct 2009, 08:49 pm »
Madfloyd,

I love prontosqeeze on my pronto 9400; I don't if there are some Pronto's it won't work with or not, but its a definite pleasure to use.  My only 'wish' is that I could choose the digital inputs for my MW Transporter with it (Nick, the developer, said a while back he was likely coming up with an update soon, but didn't know if it would include that option).

Enjoy!  (and thanks to Tedb and others that steered me this way)

Randy

Hey Randy,

Do you need an unsecure wireless network to use the ProntoSqueeze?  I haven't been able to get mine to work - probably because there isn't a field to enter a password.

Thanks,
Ian

Audioclyde

« Reply #65 on: 20 Oct 2009, 12:23 pm »
Ian,

I'm not certain of the answer; I do know that the network I created/use for my music system (and thus the Pronto) are not password protected.  If I have a chance this evening I will go back thru my setup materials and see if I recall anything on this issue.

The ProntoSqueeze developer, Nick, has been great in communicating re any issues.....although we do have a significant time difference.

Randy

madfloyd

« Reply #66 on: 20 Oct 2009, 04:48 pm »
Thanks, Randy.

Nick was kind enough to respond quickly, but was unable to help as he claims he's not experienced enough with networks. :-(

Audioclyde

« Reply #67 on: 20 Oct 2009, 09:12 pm »
Madfloyd,

Are you pc or mac?  Don't know that it makes any difference (my music files are on a mac mini), but some of the screen shots (windows/pc) in my Prontosqueeze instructions re setup made me think that there may have been a spot to enter a network password, but maybe not, as surely Nick would have mentioned that....

Best,

Randy

rahimlee54

« Reply #68 on: 20 Oct 2009, 11:01 pm »
Thanks, Randy.

Nick was kind enough to respond quickly, but was unable to help as he claims he's not experienced enough with networks. :-(

Why not just turn the password off long enough to check and see if that is the issue? Or you can log onto the router and check the device list, if you see the pronto on the list it is on the network, if not back to the drawing board.

madfloyd

« Reply #69 on: 20 Oct 2009, 11:09 pm »
Thanks, I'll try that.

simi 1947

« Reply #70 on: 20 Oct 2009, 11:28 pm »
I have now installed 7.4.1 and done factory re-set on my Duet. All working rather nicely with definitely more volume than before and perhaps more detail and warmth... although I'm also running it through a Cambridge DacMagic via optical which transformed the original sound and is highly recommended.

rahimlee54

« Reply #71 on: 21 Oct 2009, 01:21 am »
Is 7.4 safe to upgrade to?  I have been waiting and reading the reports here, should I take the plunge or give it another week or two?  I mean my 7.3 works great   aa.

Wayne1

« Reply #72 on: 22 Oct 2009, 05:36 pm »
Logitech has just released Squeezebox Server 7.4.1

This release fixes bugs found by 7.4.0 users. It also provides Squeezebox Server support for platforms not supported in 7.4.0. Highlights include:

* Squeezebox Server
          o Official release for ReadyNAS and Windows Home Server systems
          o Fixed bugs preventing successful scan of your iTunes library
          o Resolved issue with blank screen or inoperative remote with Squeezebox 2/3, Boom, Transporter or Classic after upgrading to 7.4.0
          o Fixed various issues with non-Latin characters
               1. Displaying, searching, scanning tracks or folder names, including My Music->Music Folder
               2. Favorites with non-Latin characters in URL
          o Support the Queen app with Squeezebox Players
          o Fixed miscellaneous bugs when scanning your music library
    * Controller
          o Fixed bug that sometimes displayed blank Music Folders erroneously
          o Fixed bug in 7.4.0 which made Controller less responsive after a few hours. Noticeable when using volume, FWD, REW buttons or viewing on-screen text scrolling
          o Home button now works as it did in 7.3.3
          o Playlists with 600-800 tracks now supported
    * Radio
      Squeezebox Radio Now Playing
      Squeezebox Radio Now Playing
          o Now Playing screen artwork enlarged to fill screen
          o Can now choose all times for alarm when displaying 24 hour clock
          o Fixed bug with audio playback when Radio left off overnight
          o Fixed bug preventing playback of some internet radio MP3 streams
          o Line In input stays on
          o Improved Power button reliability
    * Software Versions
          o Squeezebox Server: 28947
          o Controller: 7915
          o Radio: 7915
          o No change to software for Squeezebox 2 / 3, Transporter, Receiver and Boom

It can be found here.

Marco Prozzo

« Reply #73 on: 22 Oct 2009, 06:40 pm »
I wish I'd seen this thread earlier.  Audioclyde pointed me this way after posting in the Modwright forum.  I tried 7.4.1 yesterday on two PowerPC Macs running 10.5.10.  Before that, Squeeze 7.3.3 had been running just fine.  I ended up spending three hours trying to troubleshoot various hiccups which was a royal PITA, before going back to 7.3.3 and now everything is just fine again.  I guess I'll stick to 7.3.3 until they sort this thing out better.  I tried rescanning the library at least four times and it would get terminated early on iTunes import.  Songs would play and then after a single song the player reported problems finding the next file.  I'm moderately computer savvy, but no expert.  This had me, well,  :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Thanks for the thread, Wayne.

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #74 on: 22 Oct 2009, 08:04 pm »
Just updated to 7.4.1 on a PC. So far, everything works great. Sound is slightly better.
Chris H.

Philistine

« Reply #75 on: 23 Oct 2009, 09:02 pm »
Having 'upgraded' from a robust 7.4 to 7.4.1 I've found an issue when trying to FF Flac files, in which Squeezebox Server freezes and the server has to be re-booted.
Checking out the SlimDevices forum this is a known bug that they've discovered with the 'upgrade'  and are currently working on a fix.

My recommendation would be to hold off on 7.4.1, if you're using Flac files, until the fix is in place.

mikel51

« Reply #76 on: 25 Oct 2009, 07:48 pm »
The 7.41 official release broke both my windows server and my readynas.  The scanner just wouldn't finnish integrating my library.  Then I tried the latest nightly release of 7.4.2--same old, same old.  After messing around for at least half a day, I reinstalled 7.4 official release on my windows server and 7.4.1-28771 ( a nightly build that worked for me before the release of the final 7.4.1).  The database scans worked fine and all is well.....not sure when I will have the patience to try another upgrade.

jwes

« Reply #77 on: 25 Oct 2009, 11:20 pm »
Thought I saw somewhere that with7.4.1 the transporter can now handle 192k sample rates. I can't seem to verify. Is this true?

Audioclyde

« Reply #78 on: 25 Oct 2009, 11:26 pm »
I thought the Transporter's 96k limitation was hardware (DAC), rather than software?  I'd certainly like to be wrong though!!   :?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #79 on: 25 Oct 2009, 11:53 pm »
The Transporter can only output 24/96 maximum.  Th fact that Squeezebox Server has SOX (downsampling) to allow 24/192 files to do sample rate conversion down to 24/96 is a function of the server software, not anything the TP is doing.  It's stuck at 24/96 period.  So...yes, the TP can read and play 24/192 files..but only cuz they've been dummied-down.