Squeezebox Server 7.4

Frank S.

Re: Squeezebox Server 7.4
« Reply #20 on: 1 Oct 2009, 03:31 pm »
I went from 7.3 to 7.4 with no issues at all. I kept all preferences and logs from 7.3 during the install. I thought there might be some problems with Inguz, but it works fine.  For me 7.4 is a lot more responsive and I love the new interface on the Duet. I could swear it sounds better also.............

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #21 on: 1 Oct 2009, 03:36 pm »
7.4 is a lot more responsive .............
That right there just sold me on the upgrade.

ctviggen

« Reply #22 on: 1 Oct 2009, 04:25 pm »
When I double click the Squeeze Server Icon, I get a control panel and that's it.  Is that what I'm supposed to be getting? 

If so, I have to go back to an earlier version (and like an idiot, I deleted mine) -- I like using the computer instead of the remote to control what's playing and what I select.

I'm not sure about how your computer is set up, but in mine, I have a SqueezeBox Icon in the bottom right in my taskbar. If I right-click on it, I get offered options. One of them is open web control.

In MY system, I have encountered no bugs. It just works. There may be other programs running on some other systems that might cause some problems.

Take a look through the Release Notes Wiki for more information about SB Server 7.4

Well, I uninstalled and reinstalled and still have the same problems.  The Squeezer Server icon on the desktop simply does not work.  I will see, however, if there is a web control option in the taskbar.  Thank you for that.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #23 on: 1 Oct 2009, 04:57 pm »
With Vista I have found I need to delete the shortcut from the menu bar and reinstall it when loading new SC versions by dragging and dropping.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #24 on: 1 Oct 2009, 05:19 pm »

[/quote]

Well, I uninstalled and reinstalled and still have the same problems.  The Squeezer Server icon on the desktop simply does not work.  I will see, however, if there is a web control option in the taskbar.  Thank you for that.
[/quote]

Mine too. No big deal. I very seldom open it from the tray icon. If I'm online I do the 127 thingie to get to the web page.

Cheers
                                                       Charlie

srb

« Reply #25 on: 1 Oct 2009, 05:24 pm »
I know that in iTunes updates, the previous version shortcut on the Desktop does not get updated and no longer works (and obviously any Quick Launch toolbar shortcuts either).

That may be the case here, too.  If so, just delete those shortcuts and copy them from the Start > All Programs list.

Steve

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #26 on: 1 Oct 2009, 10:38 pm »
As far as the Slim icons not working, I've got several tabs that automatically open when I start my browser....SqueezeCenter being one of them. I've never clicked an icon to open my SB software, I just click the Google Chrome icon. That automatcally open my email, SqueezeCenter, AudioCircle, the weather report, etc....etc....

Bob

p.s. Warning: RANT Ahead....
Why the Hell does the UI for the SqueezeBox have to change it's name everytime I upload a new version?
Now they're calling it "SqueezeBox Server".
Jezz man....I can't recall how many different names it's had.  :duh:
Rant over.

ctviggen

« Reply #27 on: 2 Oct 2009, 09:48 am »
I have no idea why they change the name each time, although this name makes the most sense to me.  The icon the program put on the desktop does not work, but right clicking the squeeze server icon in the task tray does. 

However, is there any way to play music from this computer?  I was hoping to copy my FLAC files to a portable hard drive, that I'd then take to work and run a tube headphone amp.

Wayne1

« Reply #28 on: 2 Oct 2009, 01:06 pm »
SqueezePlay is not included in the main download for SqueezeBox Server.

Here is a link to the beta downloads with SqueezePlay designed for different OS

That should let you play music on your computer.

evan1

« Reply #29 on: 3 Oct 2009, 12:20 pm »
Reinstalled 7.3

emac

« Reply #30 on: 4 Oct 2009, 01:39 am »
Reinstalled 7.3

Do you have the link for 7.3 handy?  With 7.4 there are number of files it doesn't find and a larger number it won't play.  Very annoying.  I called the Squeezebox help line, and they didn't know what was wrong.  Hopefully, they'll get back to me at some point with the fix, but I don't know when that will be.

In the mean time, I've started using my PS3 to stream my audio.  Interestingly and happily, the sound quality seems to be higher w/ the PS3 than the Duet.  Go figure. 

mikel51

« Reply #31 on: 4 Oct 2009, 02:20 am »
7.4 is working well for me...easy upgrade....

evan1

« Reply #32 on: 4 Oct 2009, 05:46 am »
Emac
Wayne has the link on the first page

emac

« Reply #33 on: 4 Oct 2009, 01:54 pm »
Emac
Wayne has the link on the first page

I don't see any link to 7.3.3 on that page, just to 7.4, and I can't find it on the Squeezebox website either.  I found the link to version 7.4.1 (minor fixes) and 7.5 (which is said to be unstable), but that's about it.  So, any help would be appreciated since I'm likely missing something.

evan1

« Reply #34 on: 4 Oct 2009, 01:57 pm »

emac

« Reply #35 on: 4 Oct 2009, 02:07 pm »
http://downloads.slimdevices.com/SqueezeCenter_v7.3.3/

try this

Ah, thank you.  I'm currently installing 7.4.1 to see if that does the trick.  If it doesn't, then I'll go back to 7.3.3.  If 7.4 weren't so buggy for me, I'd be very happy with it.  The interface is better, and I feel that the sound quality is slightly better (e.g. clearly wider soundstage on certain tracks). 

evan1

« Reply #36 on: 4 Oct 2009, 02:09 pm »
7.4.1 gave me the same results. I will stick with 7.3.3 until all the bugs are worked out

emac

« Reply #37 on: 4 Oct 2009, 02:23 pm »
7.4.1 gave me the same results. I will stick with 7.3.3 until all the bugs are worked out

Same situation w/ the same results as 7.4.  Will go back to 7.3.3, so I at least have something I can use.  Thanks for the help.

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 4 Oct 2009, 06:13 pm »
Went to 7.4 yesterday without any major issues. Did have to reboot the Duet twice and computer once. It is definitely more responsive. Knock on wood . . .

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 4 Oct 2009, 09:46 pm »
Only one glitch with 7.4 (so far).
Yesterday, right in the middle of a song mind you, the audio muted and the SB3 display said it was trying to connect to the server. Took 20 minutes of "futzing with it" to get music again. Never had that issue with any other version of the software.
Otherwise, it's been fine.
Well, one more thing. As was mentioned before, the font on the Duet remote is stupidly large. Much larger than previous. Maybe due to the fact that Duet owners are old and blind and Logitech received enough complaints that they made the font big enough to view by those of you considered to be "my elders".  :wink:

Either way, the SB3 and the Duet have continued to play music.
No noticeable difference in sound quality (to me, on my system, YMMV)

Bob