Are there really folks that prefer CD's sonically?

rajacat

• Washington State
Re: Are there really folks that prefer CD's sonically?
« Reply #200 on: 22 Apr 2009, 08:48 pm »
Has anyone heard a digital setup that sounded as realistic as the best analogue rig?

Nope - and I think no Redbook/CD can ever be as natural as it has inadequate resolution at 16 bits and 44,100 samples per second.  Another, future digital technology maybe :scratch:....but, none that I am aware of today.

...and to Konut earlier: zealous cleansing of a record is mandatory to fully hear the virtues and betterment over CD.  If you hear a lot of noise between passages, you ain't heard a properly set-up vinyl format.

Frankly, I cannot listen intently to either classical...probably the most demanding/taxing music genres (in terms of naturalness as so much of it is un-amplified and ferrets out fake sounds easily) out there...on CD.  Vinyl simply is reminiscent of the real event...CD can never approximate it.

Which brings another point to bear...the genre you listen to will have bearing on the format you like.  For pop, CD seems more than sufficient.  But for classical and piano works, only vinyl will do.  Jazz is in between the extremes...vinyl or CD is sometimes a toss-up :roll:

John

According to this A/B study resolution is not the critical factor in digital reproduction. The quality of the cd is more dependent on how well it was mixed and produced. Therefore it would follow that before you can judge digital reproduction you have to be sure that the production is SOTA and with no compromises for the mass market.

"Despite the test conclusion being that 24-bit/96kHz resolution itself offers no audible benefit, the authors wrote that "virtually all of the SACD and DVD-A recordings sounded better than most CDs - sometimes much better." Their reasoning behind this was that the improved sonics were coming not from increased resolution but from better mixing and production by the audiophile labels producing SACDs and DVD-As. "Engineers and producers are being given the freedom to produce recordings that sound as good as they can make them, without having to compress or equalize the signal to suit lesser systems and casual listening conditions. These recordings seem to have been made with great care and manifest affection by engineers trying to please themselves and their peers."

http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/1254/does-highres-audio-really-sound-better

-Roy
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2009, 12:57 am by rajacat »

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #201 on: 23 Apr 2009, 12:39 am »
"Despite the test conclusion being that 24-bit/96kHz resolution itself offers no audible benefit, the authors wrote that "virtually all of the SACD and DVD-A recordings sounded better than most CDs - sometimes much better." Their reasoning behind this was that the improved sonics were coming not from increased resolution but from better mixing and production by the audiophile labels producing SACDs and DVD-As. "Engineers and producers are being given the freedom to produce recordings that sound as good as they can make them, without having to compress or equalize the signal to suit lesser systems and casual listening conditions. These recordings seem to have been made with great care and manifest affection by engineers trying to please themselves and their peers."

http://www.audiojunkies.com/blog/1254/does-highres-audio-really-sound-better
i have heard three audiophile digital recordings, and compared them to their winyl counterparts - two patricia barbour albums, and ry cooder's buena vista social club.  yes, the cd's sound wery wery good.  (one pat barbour cd was burned to a black cdr disc, it sounded better than the original.)  but in all three cases, the winyl sounded better...

doug s.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #202 on: 23 Apr 2009, 12:55 am »
Did you listen to the CDs on a CD player or were they losslessly ripped to a hard drive and played back through a modded SB, Modwright Transporter or perhaps one of Empirical Audio's devices? The reason I ask is because these devices are reputed to be more SOTA than most CD players thereby more suited to test the potential of digital playback. The state of the art in digital playback is not static, in fact it probably has a long way to go before it's fully developed.

-Roy

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #203 on: 23 Apr 2009, 01:09 am »
....it probably has a long way to go before it's fully developed.
The vinyl technology has 100+ years behind it.
The digital tech has, in comparison, roughly 30 years.
I'm excited for the future.

Bob

TheChairGuy

« Reply #204 on: 23 Apr 2009, 02:23 am »

Bob

Me, too.  At 46, jumping up and flipping sides every 20 minutes is okay.  But, if (okay, WHEN :wink: I'm 70), I'm sure my enthusiasm for doing so will be muted.

Long live us and the future of digital...but the present iterations of them are 2nd class formats to vinyl :)

John

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #205 on: 23 Apr 2009, 02:59 am »
Did you listen to the CDs on a CD player or were they losslessly ripped to a hard drive and played back through a modded SB, Modwright Transporter or perhaps one of Empirical Audio's devices? The reason I ask is because these devices are reputed to be more SOTA than most CD players thereby more suited to test the potential of digital playback. The state of the art in digital playback is not static, in fact it probably has a long way to go before it's fully developed.

-Roy
roy i am guessing you are asking me; i listened on a cdp used as transport, hooked up to a dac.  but, i have a-b'd this dac w/warious transports, some dirt-cheap, others ~$1500, against digital rigs up to $8k, including transporters, ea-modded northstar 192 dac, ea-sb3 with pace-car, bolder modified sb2, northstar transport fitted with pace-car.  the sound of my dac (modded art di/o) was the equal of everything it's been up against.  there may have been tiny differences, but but nothing was better or worse than the others - yust small differences...  my opinion regarding the sota of digital playback is that it's fully max'd out, at least as far as 16 bit/44.1khz goes.  of course, i would love to be proven wrong!   :thumb:

doug s.

Browntrout

« Reply #206 on: 23 Apr 2009, 08:50 am »
''' my opinion regarding the sota of digital playback is that it's fully max'd out, at least as far as 16 bit/44.1khz goes.'''

This is my understanding too.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #207 on: 23 Apr 2009, 09:06 am »
''' my opinion regarding the sota of digital playback is that it's fully max'd out, at least as far as 16 bit/44.1khz goes.'''

It's only your opinion. Obviously many disagree with you. I have a vinyl setup but I try to keep an open mind. I guess I haven't drunk the Kool-Aide yet. :P

TheChairGuy

« Reply #208 on: 23 Apr 2009, 10:44 am »

It's only your opinion. Obviously many disagree with you. I have a vinyl setup but I try to keep an open mind. I guess I haven't drunk the Kool-Aide yet. :P

Actually RajaRoy...not so many disagree.  Those that do generally cite convenience as the factor for their preference.  But, the title of this topic is about preferring CD's sonically. Of that, there are few that have compared vinyl to CD that have.

I doubt anybody wants to prefer vinyl...as it is such a pain to hassle with.  It nonetheless is better...and 16/44.1 has come a long way and at friendly prices today, but remains a 2nd class source for (current) high fidelity honors.

Go drink the Kool-Aid that is vinyl....it is by no means perfect and certainly not convenient; but solely based on sonics, it doesn't have a rival that I am aware of in any digital technology or player/distributor/server :wink:

As a layman and non-industry associate, I have no vested interest in boasting any one format better than another....however, vinyl simply is :smoke: (the smoking emoticon was expressly for you - ha)

Dangit, what are you doing up so early?

John

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #209 on: 23 Apr 2009, 12:31 pm »

when my ~10 year old modded $150 dac can go toe-to-toe w/the latest and greatest digital gear - $8k of it - on an extremely hi-rez system, and when everyone in the room hears no meaningful differences - well, i feel comfortable w/my statement.  you haven't drunk the kool-aide yet?!?  it's you, imo, that needs to stop drinking the kool-aide being pushed by the digital equipment mfr's!  :lol:

as i said before, i'd love to be proven wrong - i'd love for there to be a meaningful improvement awailable for 16/44.1 sound.  if it got as good as winyl, well, i'd be happy as a pig-n-poop!   :lol:  i ain't holding my breath, tho.  now, i admit it could happen - it was not until the late 90's that i thought redbook was anything more than a tolerable playback medium, and i believed that would never change.  to my delight it has changed, and i actually enjoy it now.  but ten years have passed now, and i haven't heard any improvements...

so, tell me again, how i am not keeping an open mind?   8)

doug s.

twitch54

« Reply #210 on: 24 Apr 2009, 12:30 am »
but ten years have passed now, and i haven't heard any improvements...

so, tell me again, how i am not keeping an open mind?   doug s.

Doug, In many ways I tend to agree. When you factor in some of the less than stellar CD production as of late ( another benifit to the resurgance of vinyl)

But again...... this debate can rage on forever, subjective that it is. While both my analog and digital front ends are by no means of the highest eschelon, I can and do demonstrate 'sonic superiortiy' with BOTH formats ! .............and to borrow "Chairguys" phrase...........'period' !!!

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #211 on: 24 Apr 2009, 12:49 am »

when my ~10 year old modded $150 dac can go toe-to-toe w/the latest and greatest digital gear - $8k of it - on an extremely hi-rez system, and when everyone in the room hears no meaningful differences - well, i feel comfortable w/my statement.  you haven't drunk the kool-aide yet?!?  it's you, imo, that needs to stop drinking the kool-aide being pushed by the digital equipment mfr's!  :lol:

as i said before, i'd love to be proven wrong - i'd love for there to be a meaningful improvement awailable for 16/44.1 sound.  if it got as good as winyl, well, i'd be happy as a pig-n-poop!   :lol:  i ain't holding my breath, tho.  now, i admit it could happen - it was not until the late 90's that i thought redbook was anything more than a tolerable playback medium, and i believed that would never change.  to my delight it has changed, and i actually enjoy it now.  but ten years have passed now, and i haven't heard any improvements...

doug s.

Can you name the 8k of digital gear you were using for comparison? Was it just a CD player or the latest computer based digital gear?
 BTW, I've always preferred lemon-aide to kool-aide. :D

-Roy 

TheChairGuy

« Reply #212 on: 24 Apr 2009, 01:38 am »

doug s.

Frankly, I've heard rather enormous strides forward for CD the past 5 years.  Both in an absolute way of improvement and a bettering of price points for passably good performance.  It's FAR better than I ever thought it could get, and at superbly low price points, the past ~ 5 years.

As much as it has risen in standards - it still falls short of vinyl, ultimately (whether computer hard drive, or spinning disc uni-player, universal player of standalone DAC....with all the green pen marks, disc dampers and ebony thingamabob's under the player :))

It's still 2nd rate next to vinyl.....but, it's NOT an un-enjoyable format now to listen to (the past 5 years - in my opinion, of course)

If you listen mostly to Pop and Rock...it might be all you need.  But when you hear un-amplified instruments (strings, woodwinds, tympani, piano, brass, triangles and the like) in classical and some other forms of music....the naturalness of how this all sounds makes all the digital technologies rather a painful experience for me.

I listen to it all - but, when I listen to classical CD's (which, you'd think, among the more careful of mastered CD's, no? :roll:) it completely stinks to listen to. I'm nearly done listening to classical on CD...it sounds utterly false.  DVD-A is a nice step forward in that regards...but vinyl simply rules 8)

Seriously, those of you that keep throwing good money in playback for what is a inherent shortage of resolution with CD...make your next ~$1500 investment in vinyl and you may be happier than you ever thought.

John

TheChairGuy

« Reply #213 on: 24 Apr 2009, 01:48 am »
I just re-read my posting back 3.5 years ago when, after ~3 of my most miserable music listening years (spent entirely with CD after I ditched my old record player, I again found vinyl.

I came back with such gusto that I then took over Facilitating duties of this circle from Josh K. (who had strayed from vinyl as he was or had just moved to new digs, I think :scratch:).  The poor fella' is still in the empty digital wilderness trying to make it home again :icon_lol:

I already had a full function preamp with phono about...but I was able to step back into vinyl for only US$600-odd by buying a $50 JVC direct drive from ebay, $200 in platform, and platters mats, a $100 cartridge, and the rest for a (used) Nitty Gritty cleaner and chemicals.  Lots left over for records.

It might be a helpful ditty for old dogs looking to return to the fold or newbies anxiety-prone to try:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=22636.0

John

andyr

« Reply #214 on: 24 Apr 2009, 01:50 am »

Frankly, I've heard rather enormous strides forward for CD the past 5 years.  Both in an absolute way of improvement and a bettering of price points for passably good performance.  It's FAR better than I ever thought it could get, and at superbly low price points, the past ~ 5 years.

As much as it has risen in standards - it still falls short of vinyl, ultimately (whether computer hard drive, or spinning disc uni-player, universal player of standalone DAC....with all the green pen marks, disc dampers and ebony thingamabob's under the player :))

It's still 2nd rate next to vinyl.....but, it's NOT an un-enjoyable format now to listen to (the past 5 years - in my opinion, of course)

If you listen mostly to Pop and Rock...it might be all you need.  But when you hear un-amplified instruments (strings, woodwinds, tympani, piano, brass, triangles and the like) in classical and some other forms of music....the naturalness of how this all sounds makes all the digital technologies rather a painful experience for me.

I listen to it all - but, when I listen to classical CD's (which, you'd think, among the more careful of mastered CD's, no? :roll:) it completely stinks to listen to. I'm nearly done listening to classical on CD...it sounds utterly false.  DVD-A is a nice step forward in that regards...but vinyl simply rules 8)

Seriously, those of you that keep throwing good money in playback for what is a inherent shortage of resolution with CD...make your next ~$1500 investment in vinyl and you will be undoubtedly happier for having done so.

John

Aah but John ... you make the ~$1,500 investment in a vinyl front-end ... and then you have to buy the vinyl!  It's fine for us who've been buying LPs for decades but I would hate to be committing to vinyl for the first time, now!  :D

On my #1 system - ie. the one where I sit down to listen (rather than having nice music on while I'm doing something else), it's vinyl 95% of the time!  :thumb:  However, I'm just starting a project to acquire a computer disk playback system so I can rip my 1,500 LPs to 24bit/96Khz FLAC files.  I figure this is going to take a very long time, so I'd better start now ... as when I finish, I suspect my eyesight and hand-steadiness will no longer be sufficient for aligning cartridges!  :lol:

Regards,

Andy

bummrush

« Reply #215 on: 24 Apr 2009, 03:24 am »
If i got back into vinyl after so many years i bet i'd have to drop at least 2 k to get something i'd be happy with,not gonna happen.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #216 on: 24 Apr 2009, 04:05 am »

Bob

I'll agree with that. :thumb: :green:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #217 on: 24 Apr 2009, 12:27 pm »
Can you name the 8k of digital gear you were using for comparison? Was it just a CD player or the latest computer based digital gear?
 BTW, I've always preferred lemon-aide to kool-aide. :D

-Roy 
see my prior post, a few messages up.   :wink:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=66985.msg622265#msg622265

one thing to ad - in my system, i have separate isolation transformers which i use, one each for my dac and transport; this makes it sound better in my system - higher resolution & lower noise-floor.  i didn't have the isolation transformers in my a-b comparisons...

doug s.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #218 on: 24 Apr 2009, 02:46 pm »
one thing to ad - in my system, i have separate isolation transformers which i use, one each for my dac and transport; this makes it sound better in my system - higher resolution & lower noise-floor.  i didn't have the isolation transformers in my a-b comparisons...

doug s.

Totally Doug....a HUGE difference an isolation transformer made ahead of my CD/DVD player.  It was not beneficial anywhere else (it mucked more up than helped in the end) anywhere but in front of the CD/DVD.

The quality of AC seems particularly important to digital gear and/or it acts as a 'gate' to not allow digital hash back into the other components shared pool of AC.  Bottom line - a rather cheap isolation transformer (mine was like $50) can notably improve digital playback.

But, CD is still 2nd rate to vinyl, nonetheless  :wink:

John

marknoir

« Reply #219 on: 24 Apr 2009, 04:24 pm »
This argument has been going on for years, and probably will go for years, and that is good!

I was a hard-core vinyl fan, up until I got myself a home-built Curcio CD12V DAC. Built with some very upgraded parts somewhere in Slovakia, or near there, toroidal transformers etc, housed in a very ugly industrial enclosure. It absolutely made a huge difference, and I enjoy regular CDs very much (provided they are well recorded/produced, of course). I have cringed listening to some very expensive digital gear, but I remain very relaxed and composed listening to Curcio :-) As to supposedly superior analog spatial presentation - Curcio is amazingly three-dimensional. Also, recently I followed an advice, posted in the beginning of this thread, to check out HDtracks. I burned their free test tracks on a blank. And, considering that they are only in 44K after I burned them using MediaMonkey, they sound VERY good. My vinyl rig is not shabby at all, but inherent LP problems do manifest themselves, no matter what you do. Digital has it's own problems, but it's getting better and better. And so, being after not the format but good sound, I say - I welcome digital, if it fulfills it's promise. As to original title of this thread - yes, I have a couple of CDs which blow away my vinyl set-up, no question. Namely - Buddy Guy's acoustical venture, "Blues Singer". I have a promo copy, actually it says "Advance copy" on jacket, which is a simple paper sleeve, like Japanese mini-LP, and bears a completely different artwork. On the other hand, some albums do sound better than their CD cousins. Case in point: I have a GRP (Dave Gruzin's productions) super-duper gold-shmold CD of "Glen Miller Orchestra In The Digital Mood". Fairly recent versions of old favorites, in digital form. CD plainly sucks, with sound being overly warm, in a bad way, with nasty nagging midrange, very difficult to listen to. Even my non-audiophile roommate commented on that. LP version, with exactly the same artwork, same track list (but with one less track), is amzingly better - airy, open, dynamic etc. So go and know!

Enjoy the music, you all!

Equipment: Oracle Premiere Mk IV, upgraded version with heavy brass parts, Turbo PS; arm - AdAnalog MG-1; cartridges: Madrigal Carnegie I and Koetsu Onyx Gold; step-up: Hagerman TX-103 copper; phono stage: Hagerman Trumpet or MFA Lumi; line stage: MFA Lumi, upgraded caps; transport: Pioneer HHB-800 pro-recorder, used as transport (Pioneer Stable Platter); DAC: Curcio CD12V; amps: two Classe DR-9; speakers: Infinity RS4.5, running bi-amp thru their moded passive Xovers.