Are there really folks that prefer CD's sonically?

SET Man

Re: Are there really folks that prefer CD's sonically?
« Reply #260 on: 5 May 2009, 04:40 pm »
Hey!

Yes, I do prefer CD sonically... only when I can't find the album on vinyl LP :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Mariusz

« Reply #261 on: 5 May 2009, 04:57 pm »
Hey!

Yes, I do prefer CD sonically... only when I can't find the album on vinyl LP :wink:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Browntrout

« Reply #262 on: 5 May 2009, 08:43 pm »
If you have a few minutes spare. The chap seems like a really nice bloke. Even through my computer headphones over Youtube I can hear the better sound from the vinyl. Checkout at 5m 55sec.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u1dURD0Sr4
  Even more conclusive undisputable incontravertable truth, yeah.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #263 on: 5 May 2009, 10:02 pm »
Just finished listening to some records.  A little Gluck on Accent and Holst on Philips and more.  Got two belt drive tables, a Micro Seiki BL91 with a Premier arm and a first generation Koetsu (which was the) Black (I got into this long before digital) and a Nottingham Horizon with a modified Rega and a Grado Sonata.  I love the excitement my digital system gives me but analog just gets me on some other level.  Of the sides that this here listener has duplicated in both mediums, I gotta tell you, I loves the sensuality and warmth of analog and how the music seems to flow.  I am remiss to buy classical music in digital.  I have.  That's how come I'm remiss.  Fortunately (for me), I don't have a need. 

Oh, I still buy solo piano in digital.
« Last Edit: 6 May 2009, 03:25 am by jimdgoulding »

Zeon48

« Reply #264 on: 23 May 2009, 12:16 am »
I recently decided to get back into vinyl after 20 years of CDs and I must say it has been a real joy to hear uncompressed music for a change. It was a little strange at first but I really enjoy the natural sound of vinyl recordings. I can actually understand the lyrics and instruments sound pure and natural. Now I find it hard to listen to most CDs with the exception of SACD and DVD-A.

hifitommy

its been said
« Reply #265 on: 24 May 2009, 08:08 pm »
if you dont want to miss vinyl, ONLY play CDs or another digital format. 

Wayner

« Reply #266 on: 24 May 2009, 08:45 pm »
I recently decided to get back into vinyl after 20 years of CDs and I must say it has been a real joy to hear uncompressed music for a change. It was a little strange at first but I really enjoy the natural sound of vinyl recordings. I can actually understand the lyrics and instruments sound pure and natural. Now I find it hard to listen to most CDs with the exception of SACD and DVD-A.

To some degree, you have it backwards. The vinyl format is very limited in dynamic range, especially in the low end and that is why we have the wonderful RIAA equalization curve to restore the violent bass end that a stylus would normally not ever be able to track.

Digital on the other hand is capable of 100+ db of dynamic range. Telarc has several recordiings (like Holst, the Planets), that would blow your system up with the volume control at 10:30.

Compression is in the hands of the engineer recording the album. He may have a band like UFO that likes to play at 120bd and he has  no choice but use compressors to calm things down or the recording is going to blow up on him, as apposed to a 4 piece polka band that required almost no compression.

Compression is not medium dependent, rather music content dependent.

Wayner

hifitommy

of late---
« Reply #267 on: 24 May 2009, 08:59 pm »
CDs have notoriously compressed, and yes some compression and peak limiting is used on vinyl, the idiots marketing cd have gone nutz with it.  surely you have seen the oscilloscope tracings illustrating this. 

for all the claims of digital proponents, vinyl mostly still has the edge on dynamics.  the JUMP factor is much more  prominent on LP than cd.  also, there is signal BELOW the noise floor of analog but NOT on digital.  the same goes for overload.  once digital overloads, its a horrible noise, with analog, there is tape compression and some tolerable distortion. 

i thing what he is trying to say is the sound is more relaxed which is one of the factors i always highlight when explaining A vs D.  that relaxed/satisfying feeling from analog vs the tense/done with it feeling of digital.

these factors are mitigated with sacd and dvda.