Deadheads, check this out!

mcullinan

Re: Deadheads, check this out!
« Reply #120 on: 22 Feb 2010, 02:17 pm »
What are everyones favorite Dead songs? Is it ok to keep this in the same thread?
Mine are:
Eyes of the World
El Paso
Black Muddy River
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Mike Nomad

« Reply #121 on: 22 Feb 2010, 02:44 pm »
Well, since you are including covers, I'll have to say:

Estimated Prophet

He's Gone

Visions of Johanna (my first 1st)

martyo

« Reply #122 on: 22 Feb 2010, 03:00 pm »
What are everyones favorite Dead songs? Is it ok to keep this in the same thread?
Mine are:
Eyes of the World
El Paso
Black Muddy River
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I will list mine if you want, but trying this over the years the # is between 20 and 30. It starts like this:
Uncle John's Band
China Cat/Rider
Jack Straw
Deal
Bertha
Morning Dew
Scarlet/Fire
Hard to Handle
Greatest Story
Saint of Circumstance
St Stephen
Cold Rain and Snow
Ship of Fools
Feel Like a Stranger
and Peggy-O/Fennario and The Mission
and.......... 8) 

mcullinan

« Reply #123 on: 22 Feb 2010, 03:04 pm »
Ooh Ship of Fools, love that song!!! Hes gone too.

martyo

« Reply #124 on: 22 Feb 2010, 03:06 pm »
Mike,

Why do you consider Estimated (Weir,Barlow)(which needs to be on my list too) and He's Gone (Hunter,Garcia) covers?

martyo

« Reply #125 on: 22 Feb 2010, 03:07 pm »

Ooh Ship of Fools, love that song!!! Hes gone too.

See, that is what I mean. That's what happens with me Mike.  :D

Mike, kinda figured Stella Blue for you too, and Crazy Fingers, which needs to be on my list too.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #126 on: 22 Feb 2010, 03:10 pm »
I will list mine if you want, but trying this over the years the # is between 20 and 30.

Yer cheatin!  :lol:

mcullinan only listed three...

@ martyo:

I don't consider Estimated or He's Gone as covers. I was working off your original post, which included El Paso (Marty Robbins).

(sorry about the missing 't' in your name when I first posted. keyboard replacement on the horizon)

mcullinan

« Reply #127 on: 22 Feb 2010, 03:13 pm »
Yeah.. that was part of the Deads charm, magnificence. They took these songs and morphed them into their own. And the Dead have always shown a deference to musical history. By playing they showed an incredible love/appreciation for whats gone before and they were original in how they treated each song.
M

The Marty Robbins original is great too! For me I love the story of it!!!
http://lala.com/zeZR

martyo

« Reply #128 on: 22 Feb 2010, 03:25 pm »
I don't consider Estimated or He's Gone as covers. I was working off your original post, which included El Paso (Marty Robbins).

Sorry, wasn't thinking :duh:

El Paso should probably be on my list too. Took a young lady to her first show in Berkeley in '70. She got so excited at El Paso, "we sang that in chorus"....

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #129 on: 22 Feb 2010, 04:58 pm »
A few of my favorites not mentioned:

early 70's - Friend Of The Devil
Loser
Dark Star
Sugar Magnolia
Looks Like Rain

Len

Mike Nomad

« Reply #130 on: 22 Feb 2010, 09:21 pm »
Yeah.. that was part of the Deads charm, magnificence. They took these songs and morphed them into their own. And the Dead have always shown a deference to musical history. By playing they showed an incredible love/appreciation for whats gone before and they were original in how they treated each song.
M

The Marty Robbins original is great too! For me I love the story of it!!!
http://lala.com/zeZR

One of my favorite Cover You'd Swear The Band Wrote is All New Minglewood Blues, in part because of how convoluted the lineage is: All New Minglewood Blues (1978) updates their “New New Minglewood Blues,” found on the first album (1967), which is a cover/update of Noah Lewis’ “New Minglwood Blues” (1930), which is an update of his own “Minglewood Blues” from a few years earlier (1928).

mcullinan

« Reply #131 on: 22 Feb 2010, 09:31 pm »
heh... Its almost a tongue twister! :)

tvyankee

« Reply #132 on: 22 Feb 2010, 10:31 pm »
Mine is, Cold Rain & Snow,

There gonna open tomorrow night with that? Thats right i said and i will be there 3rd row DEAD Center to hear it in all of its Bliss.

Thank You and Good Night.

DeadFish

« Reply #133 on: 23 Feb 2010, 02:56 am »
I have to tell y'all that I like them all.

It is that simple.

Except for the first three albums, I bought most of them on the day they came out.
Quite frankly, I never bought a Dead album I liked on that day.
It always took a long listen.  And with a long listen came a long liking, especially with the convolutions and spins that the band could put on any particular song.

So, if you followed that, there is reason that I actually like them all, having at one time never liked any.
 :wink:

...well, it made sense when I typed it... :lol:

Best Regards,
DeadFish

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #134 on: 23 Feb 2010, 03:16 am »
For those who might not have tried it, I just did, gdradio.net plays very nicely through my sb3.

Len

bprice2

« Reply #135 on: 23 Feb 2010, 03:23 am »

It is that simple.

Except for the first three albums, I bought most of them on the day they came out.
It always took a long listen.  And with a long listen came a long liking, especially with the convolutions and spins that the band could put on any particular song.

So, if you followed that, there is reason that I actually like them all, having at one time never liked any.

Best Regards,
DeadFish

Oddly enough, this makes a lot of sense to me.  :D  It seems like every song I've heard that I didn't like so much, I've heard another version that I thought was amazing...and vice versa.  :icon_lol:

Mike Nomad

« Reply #136 on: 23 Feb 2010, 04:18 am »

It is that simple.

Best Regards,
DeadFish

+1. Brilliant summation of (a part) of the Deadhead Experience. After 35 or so years of listening to The Boys, there are parts of Anthem of the Sun and Blues For Allah where I am still waiting for ignition. Eh. Sometimes it's like that...

DeadFish

« Reply #137 on: 23 Feb 2010, 08:46 am »
+1. Brilliant summation of (a part) of the Deadhead Experience. After 35 or so years of listening to The Boys, there are parts of Anthem of the Sun and Blues For Allah where I am still waiting for ignition. Eh. Sometimes it's like that...

'Zactly, Mike!   8)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #138 on: 23 Feb 2010, 10:02 am »
Since I am killing time at Heathrow waiting for a flight, seemed like the perfect opportunity to listen to some Dead (Dick's Picks Vol 10 from 1977) and post what some of my favorite songs are.

Here is my top five in no particular order:

-  Peggy-O
-  Scarlet Begonias>Fire on the Mountain (ok, I am cheating by selecting two songs - but who cares?)
-  They Love Each Other (one of my two wedding songs)
-  Brokedown Palace
-  Mississippi Half Step Uptown Toodleloo

Man, that was so hard to just pick five songs!!

As Deadfish said so well..."I like them all".

How about a different thread with favorite Jerry tunes?

George

Mike Nomad

« Reply #139 on: 6 Mar 2010, 05:18 am »
Hey Now!

This may be old news for some, but, (if I understand the story correctly) the source for this 24-bit transfer of 17 Oct 1974 are 3.5 IPS reels made for Jerry:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525174

Files download as FLAC. I've only listened to the first couple of minutes, so far. Sound is most totally excellent. The first couple of seconds of the opening track are repeated, and need to be cut out. Also missing the last song & the encores (Sugar Mag, Casey Jones & US Blues).

Update 1: BEWARE - Very noisy technical problems during the first song. I thought my system was having a meltdown...

Update 2: It's obvious these reels were done for personal use / picking tracks for a cue sheet, etc.: A few seconds of applause is left at the end of each track, along with the few seconds before the first note of each track. So, the cuts are _hard_.
« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2010, 03:13 pm by Mike Nomad »