Deadheads, check this out!

Berto

Re: Deadheads, check this out!
« Reply #200 on: 11 Mar 2011, 12:56 am »
Actually, I'm listening to the June 28th show now and I'm thinking my use of the word "superb" might be underselling these recordings.  Well, I haven't listened to the 27th yet, but if it's anywhere near the quality of the other 3, it's worth having.

Thx for the heads up bprice :thumb: DLing all 4 of those badboys now and the 27th show almost at a 200kb/s clip :) Can NEVER have enough KIND Dead shows!

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #201 on: 11 Mar 2011, 03:55 am »
Bprice2, another thanks for the heads up & links to the June '76 show!

Len

Mike Nomad

« Reply #202 on: 11 Mar 2011, 01:46 pm »
With Brett supplying the heads-up & links to the '76 shows we've been going on about for the last few posts, A philosophical point has arisen (for me)...

Back in the good ol' analog days, trading was simply complex (or complexly simple): You gave the person making copies for you a return mailer, and twice as many cassettes as needed for the show(s).

Torrents (& the clients needed to download them) have made trading shows several orders of magnitude easier. The Question: In your opinion, what is the (new) correct thing to do with regard to seeding after your download is complete?

I try for a 1:1 (total bits) upload-to-download ratio, but sometimes I have time constraints. In that case, I've been doing 4:1 in terms of the amount of time I leave the machine seeding, relative to the amount of time spent downloading.

jriggy

« Reply #203 on: 11 Mar 2011, 03:56 pm »
Another thanks for the heads up on these '76 shows! I have always been one to think that there are some killer gems in the year before a famous year. ie. '71, '76, '89....

Mike, I always try to do at least a 1:1

Also,
I was wondering if anyone knew what speakers these are that the Mastering engineer for the Europe '72 release is using???

Mastering engineer David Glasser working on
4/17/72 Tivoli Concert Hall, Copenhagen.

bprice2

« Reply #204 on: 11 Mar 2011, 05:29 pm »
Mike, I try to do 1:1...give what I take. I will also respond to reseed requests. My ratio has been difficult to keep up until recently. I was told by administrators at one of the sites I frequent that I had some issues with my network.  I put in a request for help and was given a phone number to call. It turns out the guy I called for help was Jeffery Knudson, a taper from way back. What a pleasurable guy with more stories than I could keep up with. Anyway, now that my network is working properly, it is a lot easier to share and my new goal ratio is at least 2:1 or higher if I can.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #205 on: 11 Mar 2011, 06:50 pm »
Also,
I was wondering if anyone knew what speakers these are that the Mastering engineer for the Europe '72 release is using???

Mastering engineer David Glasser working on
4/17/72 Tivoli Concert Hall, Copenhagen.

they look like dunlavy sc-v's

doug s.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #206 on: 12 Mar 2011, 02:43 am »
Mike, I try to do 1:1...give what I take. I will also respond to reseed requests. My ratio has been difficult to keep up until recently. I was told by administrators at one of the sites I frequent that I had some issues with my network.  I put in a request for help and was given a phone number to call. It turns out the guy I called for help was Jeffery Knudson, a taper from way back. What a pleasurable guy with more stories than I could keep up with. Anyway, now that my network is working properly, it is a lot easier to share and my new goal ratio is at least 2:1 or higher if I can.

Hey Brett,

Tonight is a case in point: It took me  ~5 hrs. to download the four shows. I've had my machine on for 23 hrs straight. I've got my client (µTorrent) with nothing throttled. Total seeding: 492.6 MB. I will be shutting the machine down tonight.

Totally cool story about the sys admin.

Nels Ferre

« Reply #207 on: 13 Mar 2011, 06:52 pm »
BTW...the new June '76 Millers are superb.

June 28, 1976
June 27, 1976
June 22, 1976
June 21, 1976

Yep, they are, thanks for the heads up. Got 'em all. Brings back memories (although I didn't start seeing the Dead until the '80's.)

Geardaddy

« Reply #208 on: 14 Mar 2011, 01:10 am »
Thanks bprice.  Tres sweet.... 8)

DeadFish

« Reply #209 on: 14 Mar 2011, 11:54 pm »
I also must repeat my 'Thanks!' for getting my ass pointed at the June '76 shows.
I've been pretty 'burnt on the last 30 years of listening or so, and was glad for something not only a little new, but  *good*.
(as if I doubted!)

Thanks one and all for the thread!

DeadFish

murf

• Friends don't let friends apex early
Need FlashGet Help, pls...
« Reply #210 on: 15 Mar 2011, 03:25 pm »
Yo Deadheads,
    I can't get Flashget to work at any acceptable speed.  I had it running ~ 8 hrs yesterday and it didn't get to 20% on the one download. 
    Is there a good tutorial, or can someone try to help this baboon, please?   :dunno:

TIA!  Murf

bprice2

Re: Need FlashGet Help, pls...
« Reply #211 on: 15 Mar 2011, 05:08 pm »
Yo Deadheads,
    I can't get Flashget to work at any acceptable speed.  I had it running ~ 8 hrs yesterday and it didn't get to 20% on the one download. 
    Is there a good tutorial, or can someone try to help this baboon, please?   :dunno:

TIA!  Murf

Flashget looks complicated.  Try Utorrent.  http://www.utorrent.com/

Of course, it could be a firewall issue.  If you have a router between your computer and Internet connection, it could also be a port forwarding issue. 

bprice2

« Reply #212 on: 15 Mar 2011, 05:10 pm »
Hey, has anybody had a chance to listen to the June 22nd show?

:green:

:banana piano: :drums: :guitar: :rock: :bounce:

murf

« Reply #213 on: 15 Mar 2011, 05:37 pm »
Thanks bprice,  I loaded uTorrent and it is moving, saying ~5hrs for the gd71-4-29 download.  Is this normal?  :singing:

Murf

OBF

« Reply #214 on: 15 Mar 2011, 06:09 pm »
Murf, if you're downloading the 24/96 version, it is a huge file so that is probably normal.  When I downloaded the 27th and 29th shows, one of them was able to pull it in at a high speed, 700-800 KB/s and it went pretty quickly, and the other (27th I think) too over a day at a much slower speed.  I haven't been able to get past 3% on the 28th show as there is only one seed showing up and it rarely connects, and when it does it'll only move at 10 KB/s.

murf

« Reply #215 on: 15 Mar 2011, 07:38 pm »
Hi OBF,  Yes, I'm downloading the 24/96 file.  I was going pretty fast, but now seem to be crawling (~220kB).  Seeds say 1(3).  I guess I'll have it someday!

Murf   :D

OBF

« Reply #216 on: 15 Mar 2011, 07:49 pm »
Mine shows 0(2) for that show so perhaps that means I'm the 3rd seed and I'll have my computer on when I get home from work approx 6:30 pacific time -- I've seen people uploading from my machine at 500-800 KB/s so if you're still working on it later tonight it should boost the speed significantly.  I've also got the 27th show seeded.

bprice2

« Reply #217 on: 15 Mar 2011, 08:06 pm »
Hi OBF,  Yes, I'm downloading the 24/96 file.  I was going pretty fast, but now seem to be crawling (~220kB).  Seeds say 1(3).  I guess I'll have it someday!

Murf   :D

That's not crawling in my experience.  The more seeds you have, the faster it will go and vice versa, if you have less.  You'll get there.  I'll see if I can help you out.

bprice2

« Reply #218 on: 15 Mar 2011, 08:17 pm »
You have an additional seeder.

OBF

« Reply #219 on: 15 Mar 2011, 08:25 pm »
bprice do you have the 28th too?  Unfortunately though I won't be able to get online for another 4 hours.  Those 24/96 shows are awesome (thanks for the tip here) and I want all three of them!!!