New N3 kit (Neo series)!

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
Re: New N3 kit (Neo series)!
« Reply #80 on: 30 Mar 2009, 03:42 pm »
Eric,

You are way too funny...

My only comment to you about wanting a pair is to do as the Nike commercial states -
Just do it!   (Nike Swish goes here).
Man, you got the talent, so just sleep a little less to squeeze in the time to make some sawdust and put them together.  :drool:  Sleep, you don't need no stinkin' sleep!

Heck, you could break them in and probably sell them pretty easily.  Come on man, stop pining for them, get on the dime and get on with it...   :nono:  :thumb:

You could trial balloon the idea and pick a favorite/marketable veneer finish.

Okay, I am going to shut up now and sit back to await a picture of your personal speakers.   8)

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #81 on: 30 Mar 2009, 03:43 pm »
N3 Report:
'Listened to the entire HOLST "The Planets" ( Telarc SACD ) last night on the Neo3's. You know, I've got a few monitors that are this detailed, but are certainly pushing the limits of resolution. They end up being too sharp or sibilant to be used for continuous listening, (no matter how fantastic they are for mixing.) With these, I just listen to them for hours (much to my wife's dismay) and just want more. You have every right to be jealous.

Hi. My name is Eric, and I crave my NEO 3's so much that it's almost embarrassing.

Eric, did you build the base package, or did you add any of the upgrades, like sonicaps and mills resistors?  Also, is this the TL enclosure or sealed?  Last, have you tried them with the servo sub yet?

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #82 on: 30 Mar 2009, 04:43 pm »
Removed by member.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 03:37 pm by EARGASM »

Trafford

« Reply #83 on: 30 Mar 2009, 10:15 pm »
Danny,

Thanks for the input. I was a little concerned about the N3's after my experience with the other speakers and how they mixed (or rather didn't) with the amp. Even my wife noticed the difference. She doesn't really want to see any more speakers appear in the house but I think I have her sold on ones that better match her furniture.

Eric,

I hope I feel the same way about the N3's when I am done building them. I think I may build a TV stand first as a little bit of practice before I attack the N3's, since the veneer process has me concerned.

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #84 on: 30 Mar 2009, 10:28 pm »
Removed by member.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 03:37 pm by EARGASM »

ebag4

« Reply #85 on: 30 Mar 2009, 10:40 pm »
But you have to use PAPER BACKED veneer or your speakers will appear to have leprosy after a week. 

Hi Eric,
Can you clarify what you mean by the statement above?  Are you saying the veneer will end up spotted or lumpy?

Thanks,
Ed

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #86 on: 30 Mar 2009, 10:43 pm »
Removed by member.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 03:51 pm by EARGASM »

vuce

« Reply #87 on: 30 Mar 2009, 10:59 pm »
Eric, what about 2-ply veneers? Would that work? Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question, i have absolutely no idea about veneering :)

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #88 on: 30 Mar 2009, 11:27 pm »
Removed by member.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 03:36 pm by EARGASM »

Trafford

« Reply #89 on: 31 Mar 2009, 12:31 am »
The solvent thing makes sense and explains some of the things I've seen posted elsewhere about paper-backed veneer. I had planned to do a flat black finish on the baffle right around the individual speakers so that they "disappeared" more and I could get away without grills (waf). I figured to finish the rest of the cabinet in oak with a medium stain to go with the rest of the furniture (Lexington, Bob Timberlake in Oak). I was not intending to round off the front edges since I like the sharp edge look, unless that was necessary for sonic reasons. I had read, I think on this site, that it is a good idea to seal the mdf so it is no longer porous before it is painted or veneered. I'm not sure about that and hope to investigate that on the net or post here. I was hoping to use a satin water-based eurothane for the top coat since it will also match the other furniture but a rubbed oil finish may also do the trick.

The veneer is always what stopped me from speaker building before. I appreciate the education and any tips or advice.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #90 on: 31 Mar 2009, 01:14 am »
Sure wish this thread was around a year ago......would of saved me a bunch of grief.
A set of arrays I built......have leprosy.....non paper backed, contact cement and lacquer finish.....first project.
They still sit like this today because I thought better to leave alone than to make it worse.
Now I think I have learned enough that I can repair with confidence.

My latest project turned out really nice ( Venues ) I finished them with the wipe on poly,
for beginners I couldnt think of a easier way to finish. Because of the easy side panels on the Venues
I purchased pre veneered sheets, but after reading a bunch here and other places I realize 
That my biggest mistake on my arrays was not using paper backed, and finishing with a product like the wipe on poly.
Having someone like Eric to guide people on their way is just a huge asset.
Thanks.

Perry

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #91 on: 31 Mar 2009, 01:26 am »
Removed by member.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #92 on: 31 Mar 2009, 02:05 am »
In a way I'm lucky because the front baffle is 1/2" bigger all around (except bottom) than the rest of the cabinet.
I will strip off as much, most I hope, of the old veneer and laminate a new piece.....probably 3/8" mdf and then get
me some PAPER BACKED veneer to place on top.   The veneer I used was cherry, very brittle, but turned out nice until
I lacquered it.....then bubbles.....big ugly bubbles that ran along the grain of the veneer......I almost cried.

The front baffle was painted black and finished in a satin....it turned out very nice :D

Perry

Stereodude

« Reply #93 on: 1 Apr 2009, 12:01 am »
Danny, can the transmission line be put into a MTM center channel that's deeper, but not 41.875" wide.

I presume the answer is yes, but I don't think there are enough details on the TL's box design for me to rework it myself.

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #94 on: 1 Apr 2009, 01:13 am »
Removed by member.

Stereodude

« Reply #95 on: 1 Apr 2009, 01:23 am »
I think it involves some rocket surgery to do. With a C though, unless you are talking multi-channel audio, the sealed version is my bet.

I suppose it should also be possible to build a ported box instead of a TL as well and get the same result.  The simulation of the ported box shows the drives running out of excursion pretty easily though. :(

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #96 on: 1 Apr 2009, 01:50 am »
Removed by member.

Stereodude

« Reply #97 on: 1 Apr 2009, 02:13 am »
Are you listening to multi-channel audio, or planning a C ch. for theater?

It would be for theater not for multi-channel audio.  I don't think I'll build a sealed NEO based center channel though...  At least not without auditioning one first.  I have some concerns that the sealed center will not blend with the sub the same way as the ported L&R floor standers / that the same settings won't work well for both.

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #98 on: 1 Apr 2009, 02:25 am »
Removed by member.

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #99 on: 1 Apr 2009, 05:14 pm »
I am really excited about the sealed version with the integrated side-firing servo sub... would someone please give me an excuse to build a pair?

As soon as I find a job and have some cash, it's happening....

I can't help but shake the idea that I'd like to do something more interesting with the cabinet than a simple box though.  I haven't spent a ton of time conceptualizing, but I will as the time approaches.  I may approach you with some "does this look ridiculously difficult to build?" type questions.  I also don't figure on being able to exactly match the finish on my AV123 rocket rosewood speakers (which I actually really like the look of) so I'm kinda thinking of doing at least the front three all at once.  WAF to deal with and all...

Back on topic, though:

I guess I'd be concerned about using a sealed n3 as a center due to the fairly high rolloff frequency as well.  I guess if Danny thinks the servo subs will blend pretty well regardless then maybe he's right but if you, like me, are planning on running your servo subs in stereo full range for music, then crossing over to something else for HT for the receiver's bass management then it becomes an issue.  If I cross over down at 40hz there'd be a pretty big gap there.  Not just for dialog, but effects that sweep across the front as well.  I'd be less concerned about it with surrounds, but I don't know about the front.  I guess Danny would say use a servo sub and cross it over higher, but I've already got the mfw-15, and for the low stuff it's darn good.