« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 03:38 pm by EARGASM »

dvenardos

Re: New N3 kit (Neo series)!
« Reply #61 on: 26 Mar 2009, 06:36 pm »
Ohps, nevermind.

Trafford

« Reply #62 on: 27 Mar 2009, 12:03 pm »
I guess I was curious what the difference was in sound or performance that explained the difference in price and design between "X" and non-"X" woofers and how that would impact these two designs. I notice the differences in inductance and excursion but I am not sure how that translates into frequency response and/or sound quality. I am also having a hard time understanding the balance between two smaller woofers vs. one larger woofer with twice the excursion. I assume the two smaller woofers can move more air since together they have more surface area. I just don't understand the impact of the excursion difference and any of the other design improvements.

It sounds like either design will play to 40Hz in a small tower but that the N3 will be better able to fill the room with sound. I assume that is because the parallel woofers represent a easier load for the amp to move the speaker and the air to create the lower frequency sounds. I've tried to look at the waterfall diagrams for the two designs but the underlying logic of the evaluation escapes me. The frequency response curve looks flatter on the N3 but again I am not sure I am evaluating that correctly.

laserman

• Ambiguous-Optimist
« Reply #63 on: 27 Mar 2009, 01:51 pm »
Trafford,

I have the Neo2x's and a GR/Rythmik servo sub and it fills a room effortlessly.  The limiting factors are the amp you use (to avoid clipping) and the amount of compressed bass in the music.  If you want to listen to Toto or Bela Fleck at a steady 100+ db levels, then the mid/woofer will show you some signs of bottoming out.  Seriously, this woud be a hearing lose issue and no one should ever want to listen at this level long term.  However, the Neo's can handle peaks at this level and higher without any strain at all.

Lou

Danny Richie

« Reply #64 on: 27 Mar 2009, 03:11 pm »
The XBL^ equipped woofers maintain a constant BL over their range of exertion. They are more linear and will have lower distortion levels than Non-XBL^ drivers with each of them being pushed hard.

The drawback is lower sensitivity.

So the N2X at only 85db sensitivity will reach its limits when being pushed hard to fill a large room with high SPL. It will remain linear and clean right up to the point to where the surround limits its exertion.

The dual M-130/16's in parallel have much higher sensitivity and can hit those same SPL's (compared to the N2X) with less input strength. With the two woofers not having to work as hard (sharing the load) distortion is kept lower than a single woofer being pushed to the same SPL levels.

Comparing the N3 and N2X in a small to medium sized room at moderate SPL ranges can be a toss up.

In higher SPL ranges the N3 will continue to crank it out with ease as the N2X reaches its limits.

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #65 on: 27 Mar 2009, 03:12 pm »
Removed by member.

Trafford

« Reply #66 on: 27 Mar 2009, 04:03 pm »
Sneaking a sub into the livingroom just isn't going to happen, so it appears that my best bet will be the N3 since it will give me the capability of pushing the SPL if I want.

I think the Sonicap and Mills upgrade is a good investment. I assume that many of the really positive comments are referring to kits with this upgrade. I'm guessing that Eargasm has these upgrades in the units he likes so much. I may purchase a pair of baffles just to make my first try at cabinets a little easier.

Trafford

« Reply #67 on: 27 Mar 2009, 04:10 pm »
Before I forget.....

I appreciate all of the comments and suggestions. Its been a long journey just getting to this point of making a decision on my first speaker project. I will be getting my Onkyo A9555 today and I hope the combo of that amp and the N3 is a good one. I think it will make the heart of an inexpensive but high performing two-channel set-up.

Once again thanks for all of the help. I'm sure I will be asking more questions as I begin the building process. Next I need to order the bits for my new router and then pick up some mdf so I can start making so sawdust.

HT cOz

« Reply #68 on: 27 Mar 2009, 04:19 pm »
I will be getting my Onkyo A9555 today and I hope the combo of that amp and the N3 is a good one.

Be sure to let us know how this combo works.  I have been wanting to give that Onkyo a try too.  :thumb:

Thanks,
Robert

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #69 on: 27 Mar 2009, 04:21 pm »
Removed by member.

Trafford

« Reply #70 on: 27 Mar 2009, 05:11 pm »
Eric,

I appreciate what you are saying the wire and posts but by the same token I wanted to keep my cost reasonable. I have some nice 14 AWG oxygen-free copper cable that I purchased on a closeout years ago (I don't remember the manufacturer but it was a good one) that I figured to use to save a little cash. I also have some binding posts that I had bought long ago to upgrade an old pair of speakers. I think they may even be Vampire but I'm not sure.

I figured to buy the baffles so I had a fall-back in case I didn't do well with the new router when cutting the speaker holes. I have a old tablesaw, a new sliding compound miter saw and a new router. I have never used a router before so I like the idea of a little insurance. How much would the templates be? Any feel on shipping cost to Pittsburgh?

Robert,

I will be running the A9555 through some NHT VS-2's until I get the N3's done. I will post my thoughts on each combo or send you a PM. I'm not sure how quickly I can turn around the N3's since this is my first DIY audio project. I will probably assemble the cabinets and "test drive" them before I get concerned with the final finishing. Veneer will be another new experience and it's the one that concerns me the most.

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #71 on: 27 Mar 2009, 05:15 pm »
Removed by member.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 03:37 pm by EARGASM »

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #72 on: 28 Mar 2009, 06:30 am »
ugh... so hard to read about how great these are while I languish jobless and unable to start the project.  :(  Not having toy money really blows.

I've decided already that I will build the sealed N3's with sealed servo sub in each cabinet.  Not much else to figure out while I wait.

Zero

« Reply #73 on: 28 Mar 2009, 07:16 am »
Danny,

The new kit looks fantastic.  I hope to get my ears on your Neo stuff one day, as I'm sure it sounds first class.

Trafford

« Reply #74 on: 29 Mar 2009, 01:03 am »
A quick post on the Onkyo A9555. I had a make-shift two-channel with an old Proton D940 and some Sound Dynamics RTS-3's. IT sounded OK but I new I could have more. When I hooked up the A9555 the RTS-3's sounded so bright, it was unbearable. Tomorrow I will try the NHT VS-2's and the Rocket RS550's. My source is an XCD-99 that started this whole search for something better.

Trafford

« Reply #75 on: 29 Mar 2009, 09:18 pm »
I tried the A9555 with the NHT's and they too sounded bright. The Rocket 550's however sounded the best I have ever heard them. Any feel for how the N3 would compare to the 550's?

I know Rockets have a reputation for a more laid back sound and that appears to be what I will need with the Onkyo. I do not have a feel for the planar tweeter as I have never heard one before. I know Danny had some involvement with AV123 but I'm not sure if the 550's crossover was designed by him or if the N3's would have a similar laid back personality. Any help would be appreciated.

cujobob

« Reply #76 on: 29 Mar 2009, 10:20 pm »
I've only heard the classic rockets, and no, danny didn't have anything to do with the 550s...but I'd think the N3s would have a touch more forwardness though they are exceptionally neutral...it's just that the old Rockets were lacking in the upper end.

Danny Richie

« Reply #77 on: 30 Mar 2009, 12:52 am »
I did design an upgrade for the old RS550's. So I have a pretty good feel for them.

The N3 is way more accurate. It is smoother and more natural sounding as well. The other real difference is that the N3 will exceed those in resolution and detail levels without being harsh or bright. The N3 is also more transparent and will have better imaging qualities.

seaverd

« Reply #78 on: 30 Mar 2009, 01:22 pm »
Danny,

Do you plan on updating the A/V-1RS with the Neo tweeter?  If not does the current A/V-1RS integrate well for home theater use? 

EARGASM

• No thanks.
« Reply #79 on: 30 Mar 2009, 01:43 pm »
Removed by member.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2009, 03:37 pm by EARGASM »