SqueezeCenter 7.4 beta listening

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: SqueezeCenter 7.4 beta listening
« Reply #40 on: 31 Jan 2009, 08:05 pm »
So first time poster but long time lurker and this thread caught my attention.  I have been very happy with the sound quality of 7.1 but want to move onto some of the better features.  I had heard that there were lots of issues and debates on SQ with 7.3, so I'd like to move to 7.4 to test.  With that said, me entire music collection is in either WAV or MP3.  What should the settings be for files that are native WAV?  I want to get the sound that is being described as the bit more "analog" sound as my room can be a bit bright and fatiguing for long listening sessions. So my question is do I stream WAV natively?  I am confused with the PCM aspects as that is not an option in 7.1.  Apologies if this was covered earlier, but it seemed like most folks are in the FLAC realm.

Thanks in advance for any feedback on proper settings.

The wav decoder is called PCM in the new version...cuz that's it's more proper digital name (pulse code modulation...i.e digital for wav, in a manner of speaking)

Here:

darthkringle

« Reply #41 on: 31 Jan 2009, 09:46 pm »
So first time poster but long time lurker and this thread caught my attention.  I have been very happy with the sound quality of 7.1 but want to move onto some of the better features.  I had heard that there were lots of issues and debates on SQ with 7.3, so I'd like to move to 7.4 to test.  With that said, me entire music collection is in either WAV or MP3.  What should the settings be for files that are native WAV?  I want to get the sound that is being described as the bit more "analog" sound as my room can be a bit bright and fatiguing for long listening sessions. So my question is do I stream WAV natively?  I am confused with the PCM aspects as that is not an option in 7.1.  Apologies if this was covered earlier, but it seemed like most folks are in the FLAC realm.

Thanks in advance for any feedback on proper settings.

The wav decoder is called PCM in the new version...cuz that's it's more proper digital name (pulse code modulation...i.e digital for wav, in a manner of speaking)

Here:

Wow.  Thanks so much for the Screenshot.  I am updating now. 

mca

« Reply #42 on: 31 Jan 2009, 11:06 pm »
I installed 7.4 last night and it did not sound very good. Tizzy highs and flabby bass, but after a good night of break in, it is sounding much better.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #43 on: 31 Jan 2009, 11:12 pm »
Firmware has a burn-in period?  :scratch:  :duh:  :dunno:

dthoms

• Dee Thoms
« Reply #44 on: 31 Jan 2009, 11:41 pm »
To us audiophiles, everything has a burn in.  I'm getting ready to celebrate my 16th year of marriage.  4 more years and she will be completely burned in (out).

Wayne1

« Reply #45 on: 31 Jan 2009, 11:47 pm »
I don't know about burn-in, but I changed to 7.4 today and my tunes are sounding very smooth.

It might also have something to do with the case Lou Hinkley of Daedalus Audio made for my DUET and PS  :wink:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #46 on: 31 Jan 2009, 11:58 pm »
I've been married 19 years. Does that mean I've got one year before she starts sounding "right"?   :lol:

Wayne, NICE dovetail on the woodwork....it matches the dovetail on the antenna's quite nicely.   :wink:

I'm still getting used to the last SC upgrade. Not ready for 7.4 yet. Too many changes recently, gotta slow down.

Bob

dthoms

• Dee Thoms
« Reply #47 on: 1 Feb 2009, 12:13 am »
Ted_b, any recommendation for the command line for wavpack?  Most of the options look like gibberish.  My 24/96 are all flac.  Guidance would be helpful.  Thanks.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #48 on: 1 Feb 2009, 12:27 am »
Ted_b, any recommendation for the command line for wavpack?  Most of the options look like gibberish.  My 24/96 are all flac.  Guidance would be helpful.  Thanks.

I have no command line info.  I just use the standard decoder in Squeeze Center (wvunpack).  I use DbPoweramp's wavpack encoder to go from 24/96 FLAC to Wavpack..maybe I'm not doing it right??  Lemme know.  Thx

dthoms

• Dee Thoms
« Reply #49 on: 1 Feb 2009, 12:47 am »
Ted_b, it never occurred to me to look for a plug-in.  I downloaded directly from WavPack.  The program has a command line interface.  It looks like the dBpoweramp plugin is going to work.  Thanks.

dthoms

• Dee Thoms
« Reply #50 on: 1 Feb 2009, 01:09 am »
Ted_b, I got it re-encoded to wv.  I have a duet, not the transporter.  The 24/96 files don't play.  Is this unique to the duet?

denjo

« Reply #51 on: 1 Feb 2009, 09:16 am »
I upgraded to the SqueezeCenter 7.4 beta listening version but one of the first things I noticed was that the wireless signal strength had halved, from about 60 to 30%!  :scratch: I am not sure if this coincidental or some other factor/ reason is causing the signal strength to drop so drastically. Has anyone experienced this dropout? Before, I was able to listen to RadioIOJAZZ with hardly any dropouts; now the internet radio station has to keep re-buffering ever so often and this is really annoying!  :o

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #52 on: 1 Feb 2009, 09:23 am »
I'm on 7.4 and over 80% signal strength always.

lcrim

« Reply #53 on: 1 Feb 2009, 11:01 am »
The signal strength on my two players actually rose since the 7.4 install. 
Internet radio is typically low bitrate and if there is a local condition between your broadband router and the switching point, the buffer can get emptied causing stuttering. 

denjo

« Reply #54 on: 1 Feb 2009, 02:17 pm »
I upgraded to the SqueezeCenter 7.4 beta listening version but one of the first things I noticed was that the wireless signal strength had halved, from about 60 to 30%!  :scratch: I am not sure if this coincidental or some other factor/ reason is causing the signal strength to drop so drastically. Has anyone experienced this dropout? Before, I was able to listen to RadioIOJAZZ with hardly any dropouts; now the internet radio station has to keep re-buffering ever so often and this is really annoying!  :o

The above observation is with my Dad's SB3 with the new 7.4 version.

On my system, with the new version, the first thing that I notice is the bass is capacious! Wow, its like a totally different system I am listening to, the highs are a bit tizzy and sharp. After about 2 hrs of play, the sound settles down, highs are less shrill but the capacious bass is still there! Anyone experienced this as well in their system?

Best Regards
Dennis

Panelman

« Reply #55 on: 1 Feb 2009, 03:15 pm »
Pardon me if this is a stupid question but are the folks who have updated to 7.4 and realized an improvement in sound quality using an outboard DAC? I'm trying to understand if the changes in Squeeze Center are applicable if the digital conversion is done outside of the Squeezebox.

Thank you.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #56 on: 1 Feb 2009, 03:19 pm »
Pardon me if this is a stupid question but are the folks who have updated to 7.4 and realized an improvement in sound quality using an outboard DAC? I'm trying to understand if the changes in Squeeze Center are applicable if the digital conversion is done outside of the Squeezebox.

Thank you.

I am using a Modwright Transporter.

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #57 on: 1 Feb 2009, 03:25 pm »

I am using a Modwright Transporter.

George

Same here

lushds

« Reply #58 on: 1 Feb 2009, 04:09 pm »
Sorry for the ignorant question... Does the improvement in sound quality applicable for both playback of WAV and FLAC files or FLAC only?  My collection is all in WAV I hope this upgrade applies to WAV playback.
thanks!
DS

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #59 on: 1 Feb 2009, 04:19 pm »
Sorry for the ignorant question... Does the improvement in sound quality applicable for both playback of WAV and FLAC files or FLAC only?  My collection is all in WAV I hope this upgrade applies to WAV playback.
thanks!
DS

yes, wav for sure.