SqueezeCenter 7.4 beta listening

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: SqueezeCenter 7.4 beta listening
« Reply #80 on: 7 Feb 2009, 03:34 pm »
Phil,
The only reason I would say that the sonic improvement comments on 7.4 are more relevant than before is simply cuz the PCM decoder has indeed been changed/improved (they even call it PCM instead of wav).  However, my improvements also include decoding on the fly, which is weird but real IMHO.

No offfense but the SD/Logitech gang have invariably been in the school of "zeros are zeros" and I don't think they accept power cord, cable and other tweaks either.  It's ok, they're engineers and they produce great free code!!  :thumb:

Philistine

« Reply #81 on: 7 Feb 2009, 03:51 pm »
Ted, totally agree on the SlimDevices Audiophile thread being an oxymoron - with the stress on moron.  At the same time they are well in the left brain camp and we tend to be more in the right brain camp.  On this occasion I see that tangible changes have been made in the way the decoding is done - I'm just curious how these changes are standing up over time, and what does the middle brain say?

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #82 on: 7 Feb 2009, 05:31 pm »
BTW, Squeeze Center 7.4 continues to have the option to invert phase in the Transporter (only)...in the SC menu, under player settings -> audio.

Anyone know why this is just an option for the transporter?  Why not make it available for all units.

Check our bprice2's response here.  The Inguz plug-in has a polarity switch.  Good catch Brett!
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=64629.0

Bob Wilcox

« Reply #83 on: 7 Feb 2009, 11:39 pm »
A couple things I've learned over the past 24 hours, one officially, one that must be my mind playing tricks   :)  :
1)  there is indeed an official bug in the FLAC/PCM transcoder that does not currently allow higher than 16/44.1 FLAC files to transcode to PCM on the fly.  The workaround, of course, is to decode at the player (FLAC-FLAC) or convert your higher rez stuff to something else (I converted them to Wavpack).

Apparently it is linked to another bug and there is no estimated fix date for either. Too bad this won't be fixed for 7.4 release. It is a PITA to convert hi-res flacs (and those ripped with dbPoweramps HDCD DSP option) to Wavepac or to have to change SqueezeCenter settings when playing these files.

Bob

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #84 on: 7 Feb 2009, 11:43 pm »
Just leave your settings to FLAC-FLAC and you're ok.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #85 on: 7 Feb 2009, 11:46 pm »
Apparently it is linked to another bug and there is no estimated fix date for either. Too bad this won't be fixed for 7.4 release. It is a PITA to convert hi-res flacs (and those ripped with dbPoweramps HDCD DSP option) to Wavepac or to have to change SqueezeCenter settings when playing these files.

Bob

BTW, it appears that you can't simply change the settings, apply them, and play 24/96 hi-rez files.  I tried this today and I couldn't play hi-rez 24/96 files after putting things back to native FLAC from PCM.

I believe it requires a stopping and restarting of the Squeeze Center server.

George

Bob Wilcox

« Reply #86 on: 8 Feb 2009, 12:44 am »

I thought one of the main points of the thread is that the PCM transcoding of flac is desirable. To be convenient, it should be set it and forget it and you should not have to treat some flac files differently.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

George - I recall making the static go away by just changing the settings, clicking Save and refresh on the browser (using the Nokia skin) YMMV.

Bob

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #87 on: 8 Feb 2009, 12:46 am »

I thought one of the main points of the thread is that the PCM transcoding of flac is desirable. To be convenient, it should be set it and forget it and you should not have to treat some flac files differently.

George - I recall making the static go away by just changing the settings, clicking Save and refresh on the browser (using the Nokia skin) YMMV.

Bob

No, you're not misunderstanding.  I was.  When you said it was a PITA, etc I assumed it wasn't worth it. 
Ted

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #88 on: 8 Feb 2009, 01:10 am »

Bob

Thanks Bob.

I honestly can't remember if I refreshed the browser or not.

I will try this again later.

George

Jampot

« Reply #89 on: 8 Feb 2009, 09:00 pm »
Wayne wrote-
There is not any up to date firmware that inverts phase for the SB2, 3 or DUET. You would have to change the polarity of your speaker cables, or run the low level signal through a transformer or active device such as a tube, transistor or op-amp that would invert the phase.

I goofed around most of the weekend and have to conclude that firmware 15 isn't a good option with Squeeze Centre. I have tried Inguz to change the polarity but it won't run on my 1.6ghz pentium server. Besides it applies to all squeezeboxes on the network and I have more than one squeezebox but only one with analogue mods. I may yet go back to Slim server 6.***, but -

Wayne, could I use 'out of phase' dedicated interconnects between my SB2 and pre-amp to 'fix' the phase issue?

Definitely like the Squeeze Centre interface and features.

Jim

Wayne1

« Reply #90 on: 8 Feb 2009, 09:33 pm »
Wayne, could I use 'out of phase' dedicated interconnects between my SB2 and pre-amp to 'fix' the phase issue?

Definitely like the Squeeze Centre interface and features.

I am afraid you cannot just reverse the positive and ground with single ended, line level interconnects. You would then be grounding your signal. You would not hear anything.

For line level, you would have to use a transformer to break the connection with ground. Then you can invert polarity.

Other options are single stage transistor, tube or op-amp based active circuits.

Jampot

« Reply #91 on: 9 Feb 2009, 10:27 am »
I am afraid you cannot just reverse the positive and ground with single ended, line level interconnects. You would not hear anything.

Dohhh :oops:

Thanks wayne.

Jim

kgturner

« Reply #92 on: 9 Feb 2009, 05:42 pm »
i installed SC 7.4 last night. when i stream flac as flac and allow my SB3 to decode, it plays all my 24/96 files fine. however, if i stream flac as pcm (server decoding), it gives me an error message "Unsupported sample rate" (or something like that). i know the SB3 can't handle 24/96 and that it converts them down to 24/48, but i'm confused as to why it won't work at all when i try to decode at the server end. anybod have any ideas?

kevin t

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #93 on: 9 Feb 2009, 05:54 pm »
i installed SC 7.4 last night. when i stream flac as flac and allow my SB3 to decode, it plays all my 24/96 files fine. however, if i stream flac as pcm (server decoding), it gives me an error message "Unsupported sample rate" (or something like that). i know the SB3 can't handle 24/96 and that it converts them down to 24/48, but i'm confused as to why it won't work at all when i try to decode at the server end. anybod have any ideas?

kevin t

Have you read this thread??  I stated this EXACT ISSUE AND WHAT'S CAUSING IT a couple of times, the latest a page ago (and then requoted in Bob Wilcox's only a few responses ago right above!).  One more time......
There is indeed an official bug in the FLAC/PCM transcoder that does not currently allow higher than 16/44.1 FLAC files to transcode to PCM on the fly.  The workaround, of course, is to decode at the player (FLAC-FLAC) or convert your higher rez stuff to something else (I converted them to Wavpack).

kgturner

« Reply #94 on: 9 Feb 2009, 06:21 pm »
Have you read this thread??  I stated this EXACT ISSUE AND WHAT'S CAUSING IT a couple of times, the latest a page ago (and then requoted in Bob Wilcox's only a few responses ago right above!). 

i'm lazy. thanks anyways.

kevin t

rydenfan

« Reply #95 on: 9 Feb 2009, 07:03 pm »
IMO, there is a point where lazy can border on rude. I understand if you dont wish to read an entire thread put we are only talking about a few posts up here. Everyone's time is equally valuable and I dont see any reason not to spend a few moments reading a thread before posting in it. Just my $.02

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #96 on: 9 Feb 2009, 07:06 pm »
IMO, there is a point where lazy can border on rude. I understand if you dont wish to read an entire thread put we are only talking about a few posts up here. Everyone's time is equally valuable and I dont see any reason not to spend a few moments reading a thread before posting in it. Just my $.02

:roll:  My $.02

kgturner

« Reply #97 on: 9 Feb 2009, 08:18 pm »

yes, mother. i'm sorry, mother. it won't happen again.

:roll:

Pacio

« Reply #98 on: 14 Feb 2009, 06:12 pm »
Hello everybody,
sorry if this is a stupid question and forgive me if I missed the explanation in the long thread here above, but I have the following issue.
I have an analog modded SB3 with v. 15 firmware. I would love to stay with this version also with the new SqueezeCenter 7.4, since I only have one source and I could invert the polarity of my speakers cables. Question is: as soon as I connect the SB3 to my pc with the new server, it tries to do a sw update. I cannot do anything but shut it down. Should I try anything else? Has anybody another analog modded SB3 with v.15 AND the new 7.4?
In the end, am I so dummy?? :oops:

Thanks for your help!

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #99 on: 14 Feb 2009, 06:16 pm »
Hello everybody,
sorry if this is a stupid question and forgive me if I missed the explanation in the long thread here above, but I have the following issue.
I have an analog modded SB3 with v. 15 firmware. I would love to stay with this version also with the new SqueezeCenter 7.4, since I only have one source and I could invert the polarity of my speakers cables. Question is: as soon as I connect the SB3 to my pc with the new server, it tries to do a sw update. I cannot do anything but shut it down. Should I try anything else? Has anybody another analog modded SB3 with v.15 AND the new 7.4?
In the end, am I so dummy?? :oops:

Thanks for your help!

Do you have a copy of Mgalusha's firmware selector tool?  Send him a PM.  I think the tool is still out there.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58778.0