Squeezebox Firmware Selector -New and Improved-

mgalusha

Squeezebox Firmware Selector -New and Improved-
« on: 20 Aug 2008, 08:20 pm »
In March of 2006 I wrote the original version of the SB firmware selector (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=26453.0) and have released an updated version.

The new build of the firmware selector to address a problem with the original in that it could not deal with version numbers above 99. It is available here: http://mike.galusha.googlepages.com/squeezeboxfirmwareselector

It has basically no limit on the version numbers it can digest (32bit integer). It should also be compatible with Windows Vista, at least in regards to the information stored in the registry. The only thing stored in the registry is the path to your firmware files so it won't have to prompt you every time. Note the new installer defaults to the path that SqueezeCenter is installed in, so if you're using an older version of SlimServer, just select the correct path and it will save it.

I also added a help and info file.

A question, would support for Transporter firmware files be useful? I have no idea if anyone has even played with various FW versions for the Transporter but adding this would be easy. The file structure is the same, I'd basically just need to add a toggle and a little logic. Would this be useful?

Mike

Jerrym303

• GJ Madigan Legacy Fly Rods
Re: Squeezebox Firmware Selector -New and Improved-
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2008, 09:01 pm »
Hi Mike,

I would use the Transporter version.

Jerry

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2008, 10:43 pm »
Mike,

I would use a Transporter version.

Thanks,

George

dem626

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2008, 10:51 pm »
It would be useful to me too.

Thanks,
Doug

Philistine

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2008, 11:40 pm »
Count me in Mike.

Thanks
Phil

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2008, 02:02 am »
Due to the positive response I have spent the last couple of hours updating the utility.  aa

I have added support for both the Transporter and Duet Receiver firmware files. You will of course have to get them from SlimDevices if you don't already have a collection. The easiest way is to grab the .Zip versions of Squeezecenter and extract the firmware files from them. All the server\Firmware\*.bin files from the zips need to end up in your server\Firmware directory. Visit http://downloads.slimdevices.com to get them.

I've tested this on my machines and it seems to work well but it's entirely possible I've missed something.

So.... For those who are willing I have posted a copy of the new 2.0 version here: http://www.mikegalusha.com/squeezebox_firmware/SqueezeboxFirmwareSelectorSetup_v2beta.msi

I would appreciate any and all feedback. I switched it over to a tabbed interface for a cleaner (IMO) look and added a help/info button.

I'll leave this up for a week or so or until I get enough feedback to call it good or fix any bugs that may be found. Once I have a solid version I'll post it were the original was on my Google page.

Please post here or PM me with any bugs/feedback/comments.

Thanks,

Mike

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2008, 03:04 pm »
Thanks for the Transporter capability.  Now to find out if there are truly differences; the MW Transporter surely will highlight any.  We'll report back.

thx again.

kck

« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2008, 04:28 pm »
Mike, thanks for the ability to use FW15 on my SB3. I have been using your selector for over a year now and really appreciate it.

Lately, I have been considering purchase of a Duet, mainly as my room gets a fair bit of sunlight in the first part of the day and the SB3 screen gets washed out. But have been holding off due to the audiophile aspect.

So an open question: forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, but a two-part question re Duet's audiophile aspect: Can it take FW15, and whether or not, is there any consensus on whether it sounds or can be made to sound as good as SB3 with FW 15?

mgalusha

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2008, 06:05 pm »
KCK,

You're welcome, glad you like it.

Regarding FW15 on the Duet Receiver, no, it has it's own set of firmware versions as the hardware is quite different. Using old versions of the Duet firmware will likely re-introduce bugs that don't exist in later versions. I put a warning about this in the help file but if folks want to play with it they can. :)

Sound quality wise, I don't own one so I'm not the guy to ask. There is a recent review of a modded Duet in the critics circle here on AC, you might want to give that a read if you have not see it yet.

mike

kck

« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2008, 07:42 pm »
Thanks Mike. I revisited an old problem today - that I couldn't use internet radio (as in my favorite public radio station). Loading the URL would make the SB3 pretty much a brick - - display worked and all but no sound, and needed to pull the plug and reset it up to make it work again on the Music Library.

So I called support and after sneering at me about Firmware 15 he told me to get back to the latest one, which for SC 7.0 is 88. I did and the station came through.

As I like to listen to this station quite a bit (was contemplating the purchase of an HD radio but for other reasons have held off), I have to decide whether I will stay with 88 (or the newer one  with 7.1) or go back to 15 and lose radio.

Frankly my time for serious listening has been decimated, so I may just give in to the radio-capable FW.

Would like to invite others to share their thoughts on comparisons between FWs and whether there is a decent one for the Duet.

jholtz

« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2008, 12:22 am »
I upgraded from 15 to 84 sometime ago and found it better than the other versions. I recently upgraded to 7.1 and tried version 101. I like it a lot. Give it a try with 7.1.

HTH

Jim

crooner

« Reply #11 on: 31 Aug 2008, 03:39 am »
Another happy user of Mike's program here...

Until recently, I was using Firmware 15 (alternating with FW 83 for internet radio capability). I'm using Slimserver version 6.5.4 - 12568.

However, I had to switch to FW 83 due to the lack of gapless playback with 48 kHz files.

44.1 kHz plays fine, but having gaps in my LP sourced 48 kHz files is very annoying.

I was wondering if other folks are experiencing this problem with Firmware 15. If not, let me know what version of SlimServer are you using.

Thanks in advance!

crooner

« Reply #12 on: 2 Sep 2008, 09:21 pm »
Well, no responses from anyone so far. I'm still having problems with gaps when playing 48 kHz FLAC files. I guess I won't be using firmware 15 anymore. Too buggy as well. Wireless connectivity setup is a nightmare.

Haven't taken the plunge with Squeezecenter yet. A new improved version (7.2) has just been released. Perhaps it's time to try it out...

mgalusha

« Reply #13 on: 2 Sep 2008, 09:27 pm »
I don't have any 48KHz files to test with so I can't comment. I installed 7.2 over the weekend and so far it seems to be working OK but I have only hit it with my stock SB 3 that lives in my living room. I've been spinning vinyl on my system for the last week so I can't say if it sounds any better or worse. 7.2 does have a new firmware version included.

crooner

« Reply #14 on: 2 Sep 2008, 11:30 pm »
Hi Mike,
Thanks for your reply.

The 48 kHz files are derived from high resolution 96-24 files I've been making of my vinyl records. They are downsampled for use in the SB. I didn't want to use 44.1 kHz because of possible artifacts so I went for exactly half the original sampling rate.

I really like the sound of firmware 15, that's why I've been hesitant to upgrade to Squeezecenter. Darn, if only I could get rid of those gaps!!!

mgalusha

« Reply #15 on: 3 Sep 2008, 01:02 am »
If you're using the analog outputs don't forget that the absolute phase changes between v15 and anything newer. If you don't swap the speaker leads (or otherwise invert the phase) it's not a very valid comparison.

One thing on your files, is there any silence in the files? When you edited the tracks after capturing them from your records did you remove all the leading and trailing silence? I'm guessing you did but it's worth checking. I do have some 24/96 recordings, I'll have to down sample some to 24/48 and see if I get the same results.

crooner

« Reply #16 on: 3 Sep 2008, 02:20 am »
I know it's crazy (and that I shouldn't be hearing any differences) but I'm using the digital output.

The files play fine with Firmware 83. The gaps are most annoying with Belafonte At Carnegie Hall, which is pretty much continuous except for side breaks.

Today I fired up the system and aside from the gapless playback issue, couldn't tell much between 15 and 83. The heat didn't help. I'm waiting until the fall to listen critically. Tubes and summer don't get along very well!!

kck

« Reply #17 on: 3 Sep 2008, 03:40 am »
I listened to 101 v 15, prefer 15. So still using it, bugs and all.

crooner

« Reply #18 on: 3 Sep 2008, 03:49 am »
I listened to 101 v 15, prefer 15. So still using it, bugs and all.

Are you using the digital or analog outputs?

I think 83 comes pretty close and it solves my gapless playback problems.

I'll continue with my old Slimserver, alternating between FW 15 and 83.

I don't plan to buy a controller anyway....

kck

« Reply #19 on: 3 Sep 2008, 01:35 pm »
crooner, am using digital out. For a very brief while, during a move last year, I used analog for simplicity's sake. I don't recall what I preferred then, as it was too short a time and I had too much going on otherwise.

Um, where do you find fw 83? Would appreciate a link.  I'll give it a try in the next few days and report back.