SqueezeCenter 7.4 beta listening

fred

Re: SqueezeCenter 7.4 beta listening
« Reply #120 on: 22 Feb 2009, 08:59 pm »
If the reason for the sonic improvement in 7.4 is due to the benefit of decoding FLAC in the computer, rather than the SB, then this suggests that WAV files should sound better than FLAC files decoded in the SB - which should be easy to A/B test (or even blind testing, with help).  I've done this on a few tracks, and haven't heard a difference*.  Has anyone else done it and heard a difference?  If so, what tracks did you use?

*possible reasons: I'm 55 years old, and of course it could be due to my specific equipment (SB3 digital out->Meridian 568.2MM->Aksa LF-100->Ellis 1801b speakers.

tomjtx

« Reply #121 on: 22 Feb 2009, 09:32 pm »
Ted,

It was irresponsible. If you had carefully read his posts you wouldn't have made that statement.
Your statement was wrong, it was presented as fact and was irresponsible.

I don't say that to offend you or be melodramatic I am simply correcting your false statement and stating my opinion that it was irresponsible of you.

I know it is sometimes hard to be caught making a mistake (which you have clearly done).

When I do that I apologize and move on.
It seems you are not willing to do that.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #122 on: 22 Feb 2009, 10:10 pm »
If the reason for the sonic improvement in 7.4 is due to the benefit of decoding FLAC in the computer, rather than the SB, then this suggests that WAV files should sound better than FLAC files decoded in the SB - which should be easy to A/B test (or even blind testing, with help).  I've done this on a few tracks, and haven't heard a difference*.  Has anyone else done it and heard a difference?  If so, what tracks did you use?

*possible reasons: I'm 55 years old, and of course it could be due to my specific equipment (SB3 digital out->Meridian 568.2MM->Aksa LF-100->Ellis 1801b speakers.

Fred,
From one 55 yr old to another..hi.   :D

I did do the a/b (although the blind part was only after I put it in my head that the new PCM codec sounded better than FLAC decoding in the Modwright Transporter.).  I had my wife do the switching at the computer (posted elsewhere on this thread).  I heard a difference.  Some of my tracks were:
* Melos (track 1, Melos) Vassilis Tsabropoulos and Anja Lechner (ECM label).  I use this for the imaging/ depth of soundstage spacing of the well-recorded piano/cello avant-garde jazz duet.  Found this gem via Srajan (6moons).
* The Raven (track 12, Spanish Harlem) Rebecca Pidgeon (Chesky label; hirez 24/96 version).  I use this incredibly well-recorded 24/96 piece to evaluate acoustic bass, harmonics, air and female vocal, especially when she sings the second bar.  It can resonate (bloom) too much if not careful.
* DALI CD (track 4, Walking On the Moon) The Yuri Honing Trio (DALI speaker eval/promotion disc).  This compilation cd is ok, but the Police cover by this unknown (to me) trio is incredibly well done in drums, bass and horn.  The cymbals are the real test here; they sound either crisp and metal, and ring nicely for a few seconds, or they sound a little masked, with very little ringing.
* gone, just like a train (track 7, Nature's Symphony) Bill Frisell (Nonesuch).  Tone, tone and then tone.
* Whites Off Earth Now (track 2, State Trooper) Cowboy Junkies (MFSL) This whole album could be a test disc.  The 1988 recording uses a single ambisonic microphone and can impart incredible dynamics.  I use this track specifically for the quite palpable Marshall Amp sizzle in the air, Margo's position relative to the band, and the dynamic guitar blast at the 1:20 mark.

Klaas

« Reply #123 on: 23 Feb 2009, 09:00 am »
It was irresponsible. If you had carefully read his posts you wouldn't have made that statement.
Your statement was wrong, it was presented as fact and was irresponsible.
I think you are melodramatic and you feel offended for no good reason. Anybody that is interested read the stuff on Slimdevices forum and the post you are arguing about was perfectly okay. What is the matter? Nobody needs to apologize for anything here, maybe you for getting this post of track. It would be helpful to "correct" what you think needs to be corrected, but to start a melodramatic flame is no good forum bahaviour so come back to the topic or stop it.

Klaas

« Reply #124 on: 23 Feb 2009, 09:04 am »

Now let's get this thread back on track please.  I see that the bug that affects hirez FLAC-on-the-fly decoding has been worked on diligently (like 15 new posts to that bug report).  They expect a fix asap.

Could you post the URL for the bug report. Thank you!

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #125 on: 23 Feb 2009, 01:47 pm »
Let's keep this circle cool, gentlemen.  I don't see any posts that's gone overboard but we are getting hot.  :wink:  Let's keep to topic.  I am all ears to hear how people feel about the 7.4.  I have always thought PC would be better for DSP as it has much more (processing) power then the SB's....

Philistine

« Reply #126 on: 23 Feb 2009, 02:18 pm »
I'm one of the biggest skeptics on SqueezeCentre versions impacting sound, but there appears to be a reported difference between 7.4 and the current 7.3 version. 

Klaas

« Reply #127 on: 23 Feb 2009, 02:20 pm »
Let's keep this circle cool, gentlemen.  I don't see any posts that's gone overboard but we are getting hot.  :wink:  Let's keep to topic.

Sorry, for this and back to the topic...

I am all ears to hear how people feel about the 7.4.  I have always thought PC would be better for DSP as it has much more (processing) power then the SB's....

If you haven't tried you should use the PC for digital room correction. For Win there is the Inguz stuff for Linux you can use brutefir with the BrutefirDRC plug-in. I am very happy with the room correction and use it since version 6.0. It is really cool and fun to play with. Here you get profable better sound  :D

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #128 on: 23 Feb 2009, 02:49 pm »
I used Inguz back in 6.x or 7.0 version and loved what it did for somewhat simple 5 band EQ (I installed it just for the EQ, not room correction).  It seemed the flat setting was "out of the way" sonically, and then I'd roll off some air (16k or so) on those mean nasty bright compressed rock redbook files and voila , it worked nicely.  I haven't reinstalled since 7.4 (Inguz says 7.3 works, but don't know about 7.4).  I'm so happy with the sound of 7.4 and my MW Transporter (EML rectifier and 6SN7 signal tubes) that iIm hesitant to put anything else in the signal path...but let's be real..there is at least 60% of my collection that could use some clean tone controls.

bprice2

« Reply #129 on: 23 Feb 2009, 05:39 pm »
I used Inguz back in 6.x or 7.0 version and loved what it did for somewhat simple 5 band EQ (I installed it just for the EQ, not room correction).  It seemed the flat setting was "out of the way" sonically, and then I'd roll off some air (16k or so) on those mean nasty bright compressed rock redbook files and voila , it worked nicely.  I haven't reinstalled since 7.4 (Inguz says 7.3 works, but don't know about 7.4).  I'm so happy with the sound of 7.4 and my MW Transporter (EML rectifier and 6SN7 signal tubes) that iIm hesitant to put anything else in the signal path...but let's be real..there is at least 60% of my collection that could use some clean tone controls.

Inguz and SC7.4 are working very well together for me.

duff138

« Reply #130 on: 23 Feb 2009, 06:24 pm »

I couldn't get it to work.  Songs kept buffering every 20 seconds.  I'd like to have it work and be able to use the invert phase function.  Maybe I'll try it again.

Bigfish

« Reply #131 on: 23 Feb 2009, 11:02 pm »
I did do the a/b (although the blind part was only after I put it in my head that the new PCM codec sounded better than FLAC decoding in the Modwright Transporter.).  I had my wife do the switching at the computer (posted elsewhere on this thread).  I heard a difference.

Ted sent me instructions on how to make the changes to the Squeezecenter settings this morning.  After making the changes I believe there are sonic improvements by allowing the PCM codec to convert the FLAC files.  As a worse case it certainly made no negative effects and I am streaming over the air to the ModWright Transporter.

Thanks again Ted for sending the instructions.

Ken

tonyptony

« Reply #132 on: 23 Feb 2009, 11:51 pm »

Can I ask you to do me a favor and see if any of the Test Signals in Inguz are working for you? Ever since I went to 7.3.x and beyond the Test Signals no longer work. If they do work please also provide your computer specs (OS, etc). Thanks.

darthkringle

« Reply #133 on: 24 Feb 2009, 12:54 am »
I am a believer in 7.4; however, I went to the latest nightly yesterday (First time I changed since the 1/31 nightly build), and I am curious if anyone knows if there is an archive out there of the 7.4 nightlies?  I'd like to revert back to the one from 1/31 as the new one is taking up a TON of my memory for some reason......

Thanks as always for any info.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #134 on: 24 Feb 2009, 03:29 am »
 :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Does the change to 7.4 from 7.3.2 represent going from an Average Bit Rate conversion to more rigid Constant Bit Rate?  Or, do both versions use the Average Bit Rate conversion?

I'm fascinated with all of the information contained in this thread, even though most of it is over my head. I feel like I'm getting a free education.  :green:

mikel51

« Reply #135 on: 24 Feb 2009, 04:44 am »
i installed 7.4 and then listened to several cuts streaming my flac files native or as PCM.  I ended up liking native a bit better.  I think there was a bit more detail going PCM, but there was also more sibilance (in my system and to my ears), so I went back to flac native.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #136 on: 24 Feb 2009, 06:05 pm »
do both versions use the Average Bit Rate conversion?

Decided to look for myself this morning. I switched back (and forth :D) between the two versions and they both take an uncompressed AIFF file of 14111kbps CBR and convert it to 705.6kbps ABR.

What that really means in practice I have no idea.  :?

jwes

« Reply #137 on: 14 Oct 2009, 04:34 pm »
do both versions use the Average Bit Rate conversion?

Decided to look for myself this morning. I switched back (and forth :D) between the two versions and they both take an uncompressed AIFF file of 14111kbps CBR and convert it to 705.6kbps ABR.

What that really means in practice I have no idea.  :?

This is an old topic, so maybe it's figure out, but I'm also curious - what does this conversion to 705.6 ABR mean?  Is it forcing lower quality?  Does it only happen wireless?  Thanks for any insight...

Jim

JEaton

« Reply #138 on: 15 Oct 2009, 09:49 am »
This is an old topic, so maybe it's figure out, but I'm also curious - what does this conversion to 705.6 ABR mean?  Is it forcing lower quality?  Does it only happen wireless?  Thanks for any insight...

It means that AIFF is being encoded and streamed as FLAC (at approximately 50% compression, which is a fairly typical FLAC compression ratio).  It's not lower quality.  The 'ABR' tag is meaningless.

jwes

« Reply #139 on: 15 Oct 2009, 02:35 pm »
Thank you.  Does Squeezecenter (or Squeezeserver or whatever it is at the moment)...  Also does this FLAC compression occur when wired?  Does the Transporter then uncompress and play at full bit rate?  Sorry for the newbie-esque questions - I'm starting to think about a dedicated wired server like a mac mini.  To date, have just been using the Squeeze... to stream wirelessly either stuff I've ripped into iTunes or the available internet radio channels.