Music You cannot Stand & Why?

stereocilia

Re: Music You cannot Stand & Why?
« Reply #60 on: 20 Jan 2009, 10:07 pm »

Is an artist like, say, "Rage Against the Machine" rap, or rock?  If it's rap, then I guess I like rap.  :scratch:

Crimson

« Reply #61 on: 20 Jan 2009, 10:30 pm »

Is an artist like, say, "Rage Against the Machine" rap, or rock?  If it's rap, then I guess I like rap.  :scratch:

Or the redhotchilipeppers.

I'm an equal opportunity disser. I'm really not fond of anything that isn't visceral or earthy.  :rock:

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #62 on: 20 Jan 2009, 10:43 pm »
Even within genres of music, the line between compelling and silly can be so thin.  Some artists never break out of silly and that makes them easy to dismiss.  Some are so consistently compelling that they become classic, even respected by those who don’t care for the genre.  Many bounce between compelling and silly: from release to release, track to track, hook to hook.  These folks drive us crazy… and keep us coming back for more.

Examples: 

The Killers: 1st CD - a few compelling moments.  Verge of greatness?  2nd CD - silly compressed dreck.  Sorry no greatness.

Flaming Lips: compelling greatness lurking beneath a thin veneer of silliness

Amy Winehouse: silly ineptitude riding on the coattails of a great soul band.

The list could go on…

Russ

martinr

« Reply #63 on: 21 Jan 2009, 12:57 am »
We like to dismiss the stuff we hate by trying to reduce it to simple elements, as if the music we like was infinitely more complex.  Sure, rap could be disparagingly described as talking over a beat, but rock music can equally be dismissed as "oh it's just singing over a beat with guitar chords" or jazz is just "playing scales over a beat" or something. 

-Nope not at all,  Rap is basic 4/4 time, Jazz and rock have many different time signatures

It's not valid, all music can be boiled down in such a manner, but that doesn't make it illegitimate.

-All music cannot be boiled down as easily as RAP can due to its simple beat, little or no melody, and many times vamp over a single chord. 

It's not fair to say that each succeeding generation of listeners and musicians keeps getting worse,

- Never said that

but it might be more accurate to say that the relative model of the music scene stays the same with highly successful, albeit artistically lacking music being very popular and more earnest stuff being less popular but passionately enjoyed by smaller groups of people.

Or  more accurately ... Rap sucks! :lol:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #64 on: 21 Jan 2009, 01:19 am »
We like to dismiss the stuff we hate by trying to reduce it to simple elements, as if the music we like was infinitely more complex.  Sure, rap could be disparagingly described as talking over a beat, but rock music can equally be dismissed as "oh it's just singing over a beat with guitar chords" or jazz is just "playing scales over a beat" or something.  It's not valid, all music can be boiled down in such a manner, but that doesn't make it illegitimate.

As much as I detest country music and opera, I don't reduce them to their simple elements, whatever they might be.  I don't think of them as illegit either.  They are simply forms of music that are not in according with my taste.  But rap, that ain't music by any stretch of the imagination.

It's not fair to say that each succeeding generation of listeners and musicians keeps getting worse...

I think most people would agree that succeeding generations of listeners and musicians are different, not necessarily getting worse.  But rap (like punk rock) doesn't require talent since the vocal noise maker doesn't sing and the musicians don't play. 

nathanm

« Reply #65 on: 21 Jan 2009, 01:39 am »
When can we expect your rap album to come out then, since it takes no talent whatsoever?  I couldn't rap worth a damn and I certainly wouldn't be able to make a record anyone would want to listen to.  I don't know anything about it.  Rappers do.  It's their art form. 

And now punk rock is not music too?  Sorry, but this is ridiculous.  It's all music, you just don't like it.  Are rap and punk rock to be considered some separate form of expression which is not music?  What is it called?  Spoken word?

A stronger argument back and forth on music or not might be made in regards to something like Merzbow.

drab

« Reply #66 on: 21 Jan 2009, 01:54 am »
but it might be more accurate to say that the relative model of the music scene stays the same with highly successful, albeit artistically lacking music being very popular and more earnest stuff being less popular but passionately enjoyed by smaller groups of people.

Or  more accurately ... Rap sucks!

That's quite a leap. Rap sucks because it's popular?  :duh:

As much as I detest country music and opera, I don't reduce them to their simple elements, whatever they might be.  I don't think of them as illegit either.  They are simply forms of music that are not in according with my taste.  But rap, that ain't music by any stretch of the imagination

I think most people would agree that succeeding generations of listeners and musicians are different, not necessarily getting worse.  But rap (like punk rock) doesn't require talent since the vocal noise maker doesn't sing and the musicians don't play. 

So if you decided to you could do it tomorrow without any practice? :scratch:

Are chanting monks music? African drums? That nasaly singing thing they do in India? We are so lucky to have the "What Is And
Isn't Music" decider guy posting in this forum. :green: Don't you know that punk rock is passionately enjoyed by smaller groups
of people? :lol:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #67 on: 21 Jan 2009, 02:00 am »
I'm not interested in rapping...  Call it talent or whatever you want, but when I mentioned punk rock, I was thinking of the sex pistols, which is a classic example of no talent worthless tripe.

drab

« Reply #68 on: 21 Jan 2009, 02:04 am »
Yes, classic. It's in all the textbooks.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #69 on: 21 Jan 2009, 02:11 am »
I'm not interested in rapping...  

That we can agree on... :lol:

To go off on a tangent, what I find strange is people who don't like a whole category of music, or, even stranger. people who only like one type of music.  Like some people who only listen to 70's rock or listen only to classical music.  I love some music in every genre and hate some music in every genre but listen to a little of everything...

martinr

« Reply #70 on: 21 Jan 2009, 02:16 am »
You all have good points...maybe there is good rap...I'll hold out hope

bunnyma357

« Reply #71 on: 21 Jan 2009, 06:48 am »
To go off on a tangent, what I find strange is people who don't like a whole category of music, or, even stranger. people who only like one type of music.  Like some people who only listen to 70's rock or listen only to classical music.  I love some music in every genre and hate some music in every genre but listen to a little of everything...

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. Although I'm having a strange desire for tripe - a gourmet food to many.

Jim C

Wind Chaser

« Reply #72 on: 21 Jan 2009, 08:21 am »
“Sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie, but I’d never know cause I wouldn’t eat the filthy mother…”  :wink:

jon_010101

« Reply #73 on: 21 Jan 2009, 09:26 am »
But rap (like punk rock) doesn't require talent since the vocal noise maker doesn't sing and the musicians don't play. 

Can you come up with 8 minute long freestyle tongue-twisting high-speed rhymes on demand?  :lol:

...'cause, I can't.

sts9fan

« Reply #74 on: 21 Jan 2009, 01:29 pm »
doesn't require talent since the vocal noise maker doesn't sing and the musicians don't play. 

Well this is just not true.  The musicians do play and MCing does require talent even if you think otherwise.  Even if the beats are 100% DJ drivin it is a simple fact that turntables are a instrument.  Matching beats is not easy but scratching is extremely difficult.  Also you may just dismiss it but Berklee School of Music (sort a big name) disagrees with you.  They have offered a class in turntablinsm since 2004.
http://www.berklee.edu/opi/2004/0217.html

Kris

acresm22

« Reply #75 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:19 pm »
Here's someone who does appreciate RAP, though I'm not sure his fans appreciate his appreciation of RAP:

http://movies.msn.com/hotgossip/1-19-09_3/

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #76 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:34 pm »
I love some music in every genre and hate some music in every genre but listen to a little of everything...

:thumb:

Bryan

rydenfan

« Reply #77 on: 23 Jan 2009, 08:58 pm »
U2

The Southpark episode involving Bono pretty much sums it up for me

reign16

« Reply #78 on: 24 Jan 2009, 08:38 am »
Music is good..how do you say Music is cannot stand?

mcrespo71

« Reply #79 on: 3 Feb 2009, 04:01 am »
I don't like Celine Dion because I find her prosaic and soulless.