Music You cannot Stand & Why?

aragon63

• Dorian, Lydian, Phrygian,Jazz Minor
Re: Music You cannot Stand & Why?
« Reply #80 on: 5 Feb 2009, 08:38 pm »
     Seriously,what is fu**#*g wrong with this guy..........

Phoenix-rapping

From  Commodus (Gladiator) & Johnny Cash (Walk the Line ) to THIS crap.......

« Last Edit: 15 Apr 2009, 11:31 pm by aragon63 »

rockadanny

« Reply #81 on: 5 Feb 2009, 10:12 pm »
The Rat Pack. To me, Sammy comes off like a lightweight, sappy, poser. And Frank ... I don't know, other than I just don't get it. :scratch: And I have lots of jazz, including vocals recorded around his hey day that I absolutely love.

The Grateful Dead. Another one that I just don't get. I love many side projects Gerry did, but not the Dead. To me they are just ... well ... dead (figuratively).

Elvis. I liked him when I was 12, but not for long. I saw most of his movies when they came out just to hear him sing. But I was just a wee (chubby) tyke. I love rockabilly (catch my handle here?), so some of his early stuff is OK, but I prefer many others. And especially live and newer recordings. I like Sleepy LaBeef, Carl Perkins, Twistin' Tarantulas, Frantic Flatops, George Bedard, Belmont Playboys (!!!!), Lee Rocker, Rosie Flores, Wanda Jackson, Josie Kreuzer, Kim Lenz and the Jaguars, Johnny Cash, Paladins, Starlight Drifters, The Swingin' Neck Breakers, Rev. Horton Heat (yeah I know, more psycho than rocka), etc. For my last two birthdays I chose to go to the Starlight Theatre for an entire weekend of nearly non-stop rockabilly bands. Even camped over night in the parking lot! http://www.driveinvasion.com/ ... I love this stuff! Just not "The King".

Bela Fleck. Jazz banjo? JAZZ BANJO? C'mon. :nono: He may be better than Ralph Stanley and Steve Martin, but for me, the banjo should stay in a country/bluegrass/folk genre. Wanderin' out from thar just t'ain't seemly. :lol:

Whew! Glad I got THAT off my chest.

nathanm

« Reply #82 on: 5 Feb 2009, 10:44 pm »
I cannot stand the traditional song "Danny Boy", for some reason it makes me really mad.

P.S.  Damn aragon63, how much can your dog bench!?  :o [he used to have a dog-based avatar]
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2009, 08:23 pm by nathanm »

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #83 on: 5 Feb 2009, 10:48 pm »
Frank Sinatra, good one...  I just don't get it either.  More like Chairman of the Bored.  He has helped me develop a severe disdain for that kind of music...

Kanye West - I don't know his music well, I just know that he is completely worthless and that is enough for me to write him off as such.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #84 on: 5 Feb 2009, 11:17 pm »
I think you've got a good point about jazz and banjo, rockadanny, although I have heard of one thing weirder.
Jazz bagpipes, I kid you not. I heard a guy on a radio interview who was a jazzer and fell so much in love with the sound of the bagpipes he had to try to do jazz with them. They played a sample on the radio and I think it was even stranger than jazz banjo. :o

This is him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeAsSgPBmO0&feature=related

(edited for a better clip)
« Last Edit: 6 Feb 2009, 02:46 am by Russell Dawkins »

rockadanny

« Reply #85 on: 5 Feb 2009, 11:19 pm »
Russell,

Jazz bagpipes!?! You trumped me there bud.

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #86 on: 6 Feb 2009, 01:14 am »

Bela Fleck. Jazz banjo? JAZZ BANJO? C'mon. :nono:

You should check out some Allison Brown to see how truly good it can be. 8)

geowak

« Reply #87 on: 6 Feb 2009, 02:15 am »
All rap music.
Did not like it when it came out, don't like it now.

Also anything by Milli Vanilli  :scratch:

NewBuyer

« Reply #88 on: 6 Feb 2009, 02:26 am »
Not sure what it is called - but I personally can't stand that specific type of hard-rock music where the singer is angrily deep-voice screaming throughout.

On the flip-side though, I actually do really like Bela Fleck...    :D

rockadanny

« Reply #89 on: 6 Feb 2009, 02:34 am »
OK Len. I'll give 'er a go. Thanks.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #90 on: 6 Feb 2009, 02:57 am »
O.K. this deserves another post!

I've never heard jazz bagpipes like this. From a Swedish trombonist/trumpeter Gunhild Carling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q53Ajkll_kw&feature=related

hang in until 1:12 for the real start...more like blues pipes, really!

This is straying from music you cannot stand to music I never thought I would like!

rockadanny

« Reply #91 on: 6 Feb 2009, 02:57 am »
BTW, it's not that I dislike banjo music. After all, besides Ralph Stanley I have two R.Crumb and the Cheap Suit Serenaders CDs - "Singin' in the Bathtub" and "Chasin' Rainbows". A person with a closed mind toward banjo would NEVER have these!  :)

Len_Dreyer

« Reply #92 on: 6 Feb 2009, 03:15 am »
BTW, it's not that I dislike banjo music. After all, besides Ralph Stanley I have two R.Crumb and the Cheap Suit Serenaders CDs - "Singin' in the Bathtub" and "Chasin' Rainbows". A person with a closed mind toward banjo would NEVER have these!  :)

It's all good & Allison's great.  :thumb:

rockadanny

« Reply #93 on: 6 Feb 2009, 01:11 pm »
Most every song with whistling and ones with the words, "la la la la la ...". Give me a break! It's not that hard to throw some words in there! :banghead:
And of course, restaurant employees "singing" their version of Happy Birthday. :guns::birthday::flak:

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #94 on: 6 Feb 2009, 05:17 pm »
Most every song with whistling and ones with the words, "la la la la la ...". Give me a break! It's not that hard to throw some words in there! :banghead:
And of course, restaurant employees "singing" their version of Happy Birthday. :guns::birthday::flak:
good catches, all, but you never heard the waiter "choir" at our restaurant - 3 to 4 part harmony. I sang bass and "conducted".

stereocilia

« Reply #95 on: 8 Feb 2009, 03:50 am »
A song loses points with me when it's recorded with a "fade out" ending.  Boo   :thumbdown:  Why would a song end like that?  Couldn't think of an ending?  Gets the melody stuck in your head more effectively?  It must be that we are to envision the performers on a parade float moving away from the us (only to beamed back instantly for the next song on the album).

burn_unit

« Reply #96 on: 8 Feb 2009, 06:39 am »
Composer Toby Twining's "Crysalid Requiem," because it has such a vanishingly small ratio of listenability relative to enthusiastic reviews at amazon.

orthobiz

« Reply #97 on: 8 Feb 2009, 11:38 am »

Also anything by Milli Vanilli  :scratch:

I don't think anyone has heard Milli Vanilli...lol

Paul

grillebilly

« Reply #98 on: 8 Feb 2009, 08:09 pm »
There is so much music I don't like that is forced on me, and so much music I would love I will never hear.
A quote from H L Menken sums it up best:

"No one ever went broke underestimating the tastes of the American public".

I suffered through disco, "pop country" , rap and now and endless stream of lifeless rock '"superstars" that would not amount to a pimple on the ass of a real musician.

just my 2 cents  :green:

rockadanny

« Reply #99 on: 10 Feb 2009, 03:22 pm »
stereo - my uneducated guess is that fade out endings are not intentionally recorded as such but created after all material is recorded. When either the musicians or the money is gone. Someone decides the song is too long for either: the song itself; or the vinyl side; or the CD total time, and do not wish to re-record. I sure hope they aren't done that way on purpose. Anybody?