Music You cannot Stand & Why?

analognut

Re: Music You cannot Stand & Why?
« Reply #120 on: 5 Apr 2009, 02:56 pm »
"New Country", because it has no soul.

Listen to that crap and you can tell the singer is just following a formula for song success.

People like Merle Haggard, G Jones, W Nelson, W Jennings, and dozens of others accidentally invented country music without even realizing it at the time. Those people sang of experiences that told a story and it came from the heart.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #121 on: 11 Apr 2009, 02:45 am »
There's such a vast amount of bad music that I don't even know where to start.  Basically turn on the radio to any rock or pop station and you're virtually guaranteed a barrage of mindless noise.  Certainly stuff like Beyonce is simply incomrehensible blather, along with basically all the (c)rap and (s)hit-hop I've ever heard.  There seem to be a lot of whiny emo-type bands saturating the airwaves lately, too.

Bela Fleck is an interesting case.  He may well be the greatest banjo player to ever live but to me that's like being the best Kazoo or pan flute player- so what? :lol:  Most of his music is unlistenable except as a novelty.  Hearing classical music done on a banjo is...um, interesting?  Mostly you just feel bad for the guy that he worked so hard to master such a pointless instrument.  Kind of like getting a degree in philosophy!

The only tolerable radio music where I live is MPR (Minnesota Public Radio)- it's all classical all the time.  I also listen to the feed online. :thumb:

guest48077

« Reply #122 on: 11 Apr 2009, 04:07 am »
5 X4 - 3 + Michael Buble =  SUCKS

jimdgoulding

« Reply #123 on: 11 Apr 2009, 04:19 am »
"New Country", because it has no soul.

Listen to that crap and you can tell the singer is just following a formula for song success.

People like Merle Haggard, G Jones, W Nelson, W Jennings, and dozens of others accidentally invented country music without even realizing it at the time. Those people sang of experiences that told a story and it came from the heart.

What's Grace Jones doin in that company?  Jus kiddin tho I wouldn't include Merle Haggard in there either.  Not too sure about Waylon Jennings, either.  Think Johnny Cash wrote some quality material before Live at Folsum.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #124 on: 11 Apr 2009, 04:25 am »
You may not be old enough to remember what passed for blue eyed soul in the 50's.  Ever hear Pat Boone?  Ok, seriously, top 40 country.  Pick any one.  Well, except for some of the ladies.

hmen

« Reply #125 on: 11 Apr 2009, 04:46 am »
Bela Fleck is an interesting case.  He may well be the greatest banjo player to ever live but to me that's like being the best Kazoo or pan flute player- so what? :lol:  Most of his music is unlistenable except as a novelty.  Hearing classical music done on a banjo is...um, interesting?  Mostly you just feel bad for the guy that he worked so hard to master such a pointless instrument.  Kind of like getting a degree in philosophy!

You're absolutely correct that Bela Fleck is "interesting", but that's a far cry from the noise on the radio. Also, you've indirectly critcized the Great Zamfir

http://panflute.net/zamfir/zamfir.html

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #126 on: 11 Apr 2009, 05:07 pm »
Yes, Zamfir & Yanni could rule the world together! :lol:

GregN

« Reply #127 on: 11 Apr 2009, 05:11 pm »
I tend to find that there is an inverse relationship between the quality & originality of music that gets discussed on dedicated audio boards as compared to dedicated music boards. In other words, if a forum is primarily dedicated to the discussion of audio equipment, the worse the collected members taste in music tends to be. Or specifically, more banal, predictable, centered upon the classic or newer releases of artists they've grown up with, or, new artists that remind them of what they loved about their classic artists. Conversely, the forums primarily dedicated to music discussion have more interesting, adventurous takes on the music scenes (and much less regard to the equipment used to listen, typically).

...heh. just realized my observation probably has zero to do with this topic. carry on.  :oops:

hmen

« Reply #128 on: 11 Apr 2009, 05:18 pm »

You forgot Slim Whitman.

geezer

« Reply #129 on: 11 Apr 2009, 05:57 pm »
Wagner, because there are too many too long segments when the whole orchestra and all the singers are blaring away at full volume. I like more texture in music. Painters often say you need to have the darks if you want to show the lights. It's the same in music. I like the fffs embedded among the ppps, and most times either a single instrument, or at most a single section of the orchestra, should clearly dominate.

I dislike most popular music for the same reasons.

geowak

« Reply #130 on: 11 Apr 2009, 09:55 pm »
My first comment was RAP music, but I must also add-

The Rolling Stones and The Bay City Rollers. I never understood the allure of the RS.

slovell1

« Reply #131 on: 14 Apr 2009, 07:38 pm »
country. there's a reason its called suicide music. if you listen to it long enough, YOU WILL KILL YOURSELF!!!
opera.  8)

Hicks

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
« Reply #132 on: 15 Apr 2009, 04:52 pm »
I tend to find that there is an inverse relationship between the quality & originality of music that gets discussed on dedicated audio boards as compared to dedicated music boards. In other words, if a forum is primarily dedicated to the discussion of audio equipment, the worse the collected members taste in music tends to be. Or specifically, more banal, predictable, centered upon the classic or newer releases of artists they've grown up with, or, new artists that remind them of what they loved about their classic artists. Conversely, the forums primarily dedicated to music discussion have more interesting, adventurous takes on the music scenes (and much less regard to the equipment used to listen, typically).

...heh. just realized my observation probably has zero to do with this topic. carry on.  :oops:

Seriously, what is it with audiophiles and new age music?  If you want to listen to something immaculately recorded and relaxing why not engage your brain a bit with some classical or modern electronic music?

nathanm

« Reply #133 on: 15 Apr 2009, 06:49 pm »
Hmm, I never got the impression that audiophiles in general liked New Age.  I always thought it was more like jazz or adult contemporary.

whubbard

« Reply #134 on: 15 Apr 2009, 09:12 pm »

But if you ask me there is one song that drives me nuts! And that is "Zombie" by Cranberries. Remembered them? I don't know why. Maybe is the way she sings it or something. But when I hear this song I feel annoyed to hell.  :x

I love this song Buddy! Along with a lot of Cranberries songs. It's not my favorite, but I enjoy it. Too bad you feel this way.

-West

p.s. I have also been known to enjoy We Built This City, Final Countdown, etc... which many others truly despise....

jimdgoulding

« Reply #135 on: 15 Apr 2009, 11:10 pm »

You forgot Slim Whitman.

I gotta say that his yodeling in the movie Mars Attacks as what exploded the Martians helmets cracked me up!  Some of the best casting ever I thought. 

Mightyburner

« Reply #136 on: 16 Apr 2009, 04:20 am »
5 X4 - 3 + Michael Buble =  SUCKS

I agree so much it hurts.  When I hear people say he's a jazz singer I want to roll over and die.  :sleep:  He successful (for whatever reason and I don't begrude that) but he's not a JAZZ VOCALIST.  :nono:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #137 on: 16 Apr 2009, 06:46 am »
Any record in which Stevie Wonder sings. Why? His voice just irritates me.

-Roy

rockadanny

« Reply #138 on: 16 Apr 2009, 12:29 pm »
But Stevie is the funkiest man on the planet ... well ... maybe he's tied with George Clinton.