Hello from PMC!

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
Hello from PMC!
« on: 28 Oct 2008, 07:44 pm »
Hello everyone!  I hope to get in on the discussions for anything PMC...  Being from PMC myself I have some experience with Bryston & PMC  8).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Hello from PMC!
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2008, 07:54 pm »
Hello everyone!  I hope to get in on the discussions for anything PMC...  Being from PMC myself I have some experience with Bryston & PMC  8).

Hi,

From PMC UK?

james

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2008, 08:10 pm »
My name is Ian Verdugo, we met at CEDIA Expo this year.... US, CA specifically.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2008, 09:19 pm »

Hi Ian,

Sorry I did not recognize the posted name mvwhiting.
So your on representing PMC USA?
I hope you realize what you've got yourself into!

james

jethro

« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2008, 09:22 pm »
Ian:

What's your position at PMC ?

--Steve

Sasha

« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2008, 09:45 pm »

Hi Ian,

james

What did Ian get himself into?  :)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2008, 09:47 pm »

Hi Ian,

james

What did Ian get himself into?  :)

Hi Sasha,

The slings and arrows of public forums!

james

PS - I'm a very sensitive guy.

mclsound

« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2008, 10:09 pm »
now that sales have dropped,they call ,when i owned PMC and jethro was asking for them ,no such luck,well i still have my Bryston 14bsst and 10bLR but the only pmc i have(cb6i ba)is for sale and nobody wants it.
Ian, ENJOY!
no offence to PMC owners,just the owners of PMC,i am sure their prices will increase another 30% ,for some reason or another,they will think of something,they always do!

sorry James,you can delete if you want.
john

b5pt9

« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2008, 03:18 am »
Hi Ian,

I wonder if you have any knowledge on how the cherry veneer finish darkens with time.  Is this related to sunlight and/or room lighting or just a natural aging process?  Can I accelerate the darkening process on my CB6 somehow to make it closer match my IB1's?

Thanks and welcome to this forum.

predrag

« Reply #9 on: 29 Oct 2008, 08:41 am »
Hello Ian!

Wishing you a nice welcome to this great forum!
I am a prowd owner of both Bryston and PMC products.
Last weekend we had two simultaneous HiFi shows here in Zagreb with another two separate presentations by local distributors.
It was really great to hear EB1i´s powered by 28B SST´s!
My personal and many visitior´s Best in Show presentation.
Although it (financially) was far from the most expensive system shown there it had the balance, transparency, ability to play loud without fatiguing!
Bryston/PMC remain my No1 combination!

Viajero5000

« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2008, 09:49 am »

Hi Ian, and welcome aboard. It would be great to have PMC representation on the forum. I don't believe there's a centralised forum for PMC owners elsewhere on the web, so your presence will help drum up some enthusiasm, and I hope you'll be able to provide the level of participation that James does!

Viajero5000

« Reply #11 on: 29 Oct 2008, 10:10 am »
Hi James, I notice you have your IB2s on higher than average stands; is the mid-range driver higher than the listener's ear level with these, and are there any resultant benefits? i presently have my mb2 set up so that the mid-range is roughly on ear level.

(With the XBD version, I found the plane of the speakers to be way too high, with too much bass vs. mid/treble, so i prefer keeping the speaker on the regular PMC-supplied stand).

Also, what kind of support is that amp placed on?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 29 Oct 2008, 10:51 am »
Hi James, I notice you have your IB2s on higher than average stands; is the mid-range driver higher than the listener's ear level with these, and are there any resultant benefits? i presently have my mb2 set up so that the mid-range is roughly on ear level.

(With the XBD version, I found the plane of the speakers to be way too high, with too much bass vs. mid/treble, so i prefer keeping the speaker on the regular PMC-supplied stand).

Also, what kind of support is that amp placed on?

HI,

The PHASE axis for the IB2 is a 10 degree downward tilt from the MID so your ear should be slightly below the mid. My stands are 20 inches high and in my room that puts the angle very close to ideal when sitting on my couch. I believe PMC recommends at least a 14 inch stand for domestic applications.

You know I do not know what amp stands they are. It is a 4 post black metal stand with a wooden rosewood/medite top - choosen more for cosmetics than isolation. I got them for an audio show about 10 years ago and started using them at home about a year ago.

james

Viajero5000

« Reply #13 on: 29 Oct 2008, 10:58 am »
Quote "The PHASE axis for the IB2 is a 10 degree downward tilt from the MID so your ear should be slightly below the mid."

Thanks for that info James, i assume it holds true for the mb2 as well... will experiment with elevating my speakers a bit.

Viajero5000

« Reply #14 on: 29 Oct 2008, 12:15 pm »
Quote "You know I do not know what amp stands they are. It is a 4 post black metal stand with a wooden rosewood/medite top - choosen more for cosmetics than isolation. I got them for an audio show about 10 years ago and started using them at home about a year ago."

On this topic James, I havent ever tried any amp stands, feet etc for my bryston amps; i just keep them direct on the floor (wood or tile), and have even placed one on a table in the past (i know, bad audiophile etiquette). Does Bryston recommend isolation platforms of any sort? Also, does rack mounting the amps have any sonic advantages/disadvantages?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #15 on: 29 Oct 2008, 12:41 pm »
Quote "You know I do not know what amp stands they are. It is a 4 post black metal stand with a wooden rosewood/medite top - chosen more for cosmetics than isolation. I got them for an audio show about 10 years ago and started using them at home about a year ago."

On this topic James, I havent ever tried any amp stands, feet etc for my bryston amps; i just keep them direct on the floor (wood or tile), and have even placed one on a table in the past (i know, bad audiophile etiquette). Does Bryston recommend isolation platforms of any sort? Also, does rack mounting the amps have any sonic advantages/disadvantages?

Hi,

I can't say I have ever tried isolating the amps using stands and blind testing that against no stand. My use of amps stands has been limited to cosmetics so far .

I know there are those who feel acoustical vibrational energy in the room created by the speakers causes sonic issues with amplifiers- especially tubes due to microphonics. Others feel that vibration created within the circuitry of the amplifier during operation should also be 'drained' from the chassis using cones and spikes etc. The circuit boards and circuit parts in Bryston products are soldered securely to glass epoxy circuit boards but I am certainly open to any input from those who have experimented with isolation using Bryston products.

james

Levi

« Reply #16 on: 29 Dec 2008, 03:05 pm »
Hi All,

I am not sure if this has been covered before.  Talking about thread revival.   Are the OB1+ upgradeable to the latest OB1i?  or...FB1+ to FB1i?

Thanks guys.

Levi
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2008, 04:17 pm by Levi »

Frisco

« Reply #17 on: 29 Dec 2008, 04:55 pm »
Hi....What ever happen to Ian, the PMC rep?
I own the GB1 i's and I find them very natural and non-fatiguing. I'm running the McIntosh C220/MC252 combo with them. I also rotate my vintage Marantz 2235B and 2245.

b5pt9....I find that my cherry finish will develop a "bikini tan line" if I leave the grills on...so they are nude now with no lines at all  aa  You can see those beauties in my gallery  :drool:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;user=45494

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #18 on: 29 Dec 2008, 08:31 pm »
Hi All,

I am not sure if this has been covered before.  Talking about thread revival.   Are the OB1+ upgradeable to the latest OB1i?  or...FB1+ to FB1i?

Thanks guys.

Levi

Hi Levi,

My understanding is that they can not be updated.

james

Levi

« Reply #19 on: 29 Dec 2008, 08:41 pm »
Thanks James :thumb: