• PMC Speakers
Re: Hello from PMC!
« Reply #60 on: 25 Mar 2009, 07:02 pm »
No rise in prices, that I know of.

Bassmann

« Reply #61 on: 25 Mar 2009, 07:10 pm »
Hi Ian

How are you getting on with the PB1i's? Can i ask what amp and source your using them with?

Are you finding them like a wide open window compared to your TB2's?

Regards

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #62 on: 25 Mar 2009, 07:20 pm »
For the PB1i demos I use a 4bsst2, a BP26 w/MPS2, and BCD-1 (Thanks James & everyone at Bryston!!!)

... Compared to my TB2i? Well there really is no comparison, across the board performance is vastly improved. Window?  I would say more like floodgate.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #63 on: 25 Mar 2009, 09:15 pm »
Hi Doggy,
I personally own PMC OB1i.
I have no idea what is the price of PMC OB1i or IB1 in Canada, but
if the look is no issue I would buy pro and higher in rank speaker.
IB2 is different to IB1 in mid driver, the same used in MB2 and BB5 no matter passive or active version.
Daniel

The PMC MB2i at $18,000...I wish! :drool:

I wouldnt want to get in the ring with these babies.... they look like they pack a good punch. The Mike Tyson of audio speakers.

...yes! they will bite off your ear!!!

al.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: But in a good way... right?

yep! in a good way, of course!  :thumb:

al.

alexone

« Reply #64 on: 26 Mar 2009, 05:25 pm »
 for everyone who has a PMC speaker with tri wiring input:

- are you using the tri wiring terminal (if so- what cables and what is the benefit?)
- or are you using instead the single or bi wiring option?

maybe mvwhiting_83 could chime in, please?

thanx,

al.

predrag

« Reply #65 on: 26 Mar 2009, 05:44 pm »
My EB1i have tri-wire terminals.
However I use bi-wiring with Atlas Ichor cables.
Dunno what are the sound differences against single wiring and tri-wiring. Never tried it myself.
My cables are 3m long.
Hope I will have my amps close to speakers soon and have only 0.75m meters of speaker cable on each side.
I am no cable expert and would like to get rid of heavy speaker cabling all over the room.
Best cable is of course - no cable.

alexone

« Reply #66 on: 26 Mar 2009, 06:44 pm »
thanx, predrag. you can call yourself a lucky guy owning monoblocks! nice system btw...

al.

mvwhiting_83

• PMC Speakers
« Reply #67 on: 26 Mar 2009, 06:48 pm »
Al,

I have not ever tri-wired or tri-amped for that matter any of the models with three pairs of biding posts.  I have however bi-amped the bi-ampable 8)... I acquired a new amp that actually doesn't have biamping capability, so I am no longer bi-amping, but rather bi-wiring.  My experience with bi-amping though led to me to actually prefer it. So I had to choose between cleaner power and more of it and less power but total seperation of lo & hi.  All of this comes down to personal preference...  So I personally have found that with bi-amping, at least, the sound is more controlled and less forceful, in a word - smoother.  The difference wasn't immediately felt, it wasn't until after I began bi-wiring with my new amp that I missed my bi-amping with my older more modest amp.  I would say that it is entirely up to you whether to bi-wire and theoretically it would make the crossover process that takes place more efficient than it already is (is this disputable?), that said it is with bi-amping that you will notice the benefit of utilizing the extra terminals... Some people take great offense to the notion of bi-wiring so you will get a variety of opinions on this subject.

From what I've seen being used by our studio clients they are using a simple single wire into the IB2, MB2, or BB5... So it's up to you. Listening experiments are always good fun.  Get some women in on it, they seem to be more objective in their listening and can call out what brings an improvement or not without hesitation since they could care less about names (if only the same went for fashion! :roll:).

Ian

rahman

« Reply #68 on: 26 Mar 2009, 08:41 pm »
single wire here.

whilst the bass of the mb2 is sweet, the thing that really gets me is the transparency of the mid and level of detail these speakers are capable of.

alexone

« Reply #69 on: 26 Mar 2009, 08:46 pm »
rahman,

what speakers did you use in the past? and what convinced you to buy PMC?

thanx,

al.

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #70 on: 26 Mar 2009, 09:04 pm »
Hi Alexone,
I tried all possible connections with my speakers and always came with the maximum possible connections.
My Epos speakers are with very simple crossover 1-st order opposite to PMC which are 4-th order 25 elements crossover.
With multiple connection the bass is more controlled, the mids are clear not mask by the bass and the same I can say for the high frequencies. If you have doubts about benefits take a look at Dynaudio speakers. All consumers speakers are with single connection, but the pro range are bi and tri amp. An explanation of bi-wiring and bi-amp can be found in Vandersteen web page in the following link http://www.vandersteen.com/pages/Answr7.htm
Daniel

Levi

« Reply #71 on: 27 Mar 2009, 01:25 am »
I Agree about the sonic benefits of using bi-amp. How do we know how to match the gain between the amps?  Is there a need to match the amps output levels?
Levi

mclsound

« Reply #72 on: 27 Mar 2009, 03:00 am »
are you bi-amping passively off of the back or actively??
john

Levi

« Reply #73 on: 27 Mar 2009, 08:26 am »
I don't know the difference between active and passive. I run directly from amplifier and no crossover.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #74 on: 27 Mar 2009, 11:13 am »
^
Hi Levi

'Actively' biamping means your bypassing the internal speaker crossover and 'passively' means your biamping using two amplifiers but still connected to the speakers internal crossover.

YES in passive biamping the amplifiers MUST have the same GAIN.

james
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2009, 01:00 pm by James Tanner »

predrag

« Reply #75 on: 27 Mar 2009, 12:33 pm »
Ian,

Could you please let us know which Bryston´s amps are used to push MB2A and BB5A as such and as XBDA?
Is it true that when installing these monsters your enginner needs to come to setup them properly?
Thank you in advance!

Bassmann

« Reply #76 on: 27 Mar 2009, 02:49 pm »
Hi Guys

(sorry predrag, for butting in before your answer)

I have my OB1's Bi-wired, with the priority for cable being sent directly to the midrange and treble, and a speaker jumper cable (of the same cable) thats wired from midrange cable connector to the bass. I've experimented between directly connecting between mid and bass, treble always has its own run. I find the differences are noticiable when it comes the last ounce of resolution and definition. And prefer the midrange to have that last ounce over the bass.

I was once sent a PDF brochure by PMC of the Active MB2 / BB5's only, and it showed the stacks of amps that you get with both, it also went into a bit more detail on the drivers used if i remember rightly.

Ian, a couple of questions if i may. Do the PB1's have 4 sets of connectors? and is there any chance you could sort out a link for that brochure and put it up here for us to download somehow? when you get chance. please..... its not on your website that one. Unfortunatley i got a trojan and had no back-up that mean't i lost it before.

Thanks in advance

P.S - the link for the "Peter Thomas interview part 2" doesn't work on the website for some reason.

mvwhiting_83

• PMC Speakers
« Reply #77 on: 27 Mar 2009, 05:48 pm »
Ian,

Could you please let us know which Bryston´s amps are used to push MB2A and BB5A as such and as XBDA?
Is it true that when installing these monsters your enginner needs to come to setup them properly?
Thank you in advance!

For the MB2-A an 875 powers 325w to LF, and 120w to the mid and top - x'ed with a 10B

For the MB2XBD-A a 7B powers 900w to both LF's, and 2 3B's power 150 to the mid and top respectively - x'ed with a 10B

For the BB5-A a 7B powers 900w to the LF, and the 4B power 300w to the mid and then another 4B powers 300w to the top - x'ed with a 10B

For the BB5XBD-A a 7B powers 900w to each of the bass drivers and a 4B to the mid and a 4B to the top each powering 300w - x 'ed with a 10B

We do have an engineer/trained porfessional come out set up the system to have it perform at it's optimum.

These active systems are truly amazing, I have yet to be as enthralled with anything as I was upon first listening to the BB5XBD-A LCR with MB2-A in the surround.

b5pt9

« Reply #78 on: 27 Mar 2009, 07:19 pm »
Hi Ian/James or others,

What starting point would you recommend for activating IB1's?  Which amps for which drivers, x-over frequencies, slopes, etc.  I've got the following components to play with: 14BSST, 4BSST, 4BST, Legacy 4B and 3B, 2B-LP pro, 2 x 10B-STD and 1 x 10B-SUB crossovers.

Bassmann

« Reply #79 on: 27 Mar 2009, 07:39 pm »
Hey Guys

I've just found that brochure that i was on about on a cd. Is there anyway I can upload it? or make it possible for you guys to download it from my computer? The file size is 2.46mb and its an adobe acrobat 7 document format. I will need someone to walk me through how to do it? Don't worry either its not a trojan!!!

It's different to the others, you will find it interesting. (lots more info)

Regards