James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com

drummermitchell

Re: Hello from PMC!
« Reply #102 on: 31 Mar 2009, 02:17 am »
i think my wife will like this(chinese vocalists)and bryston and PMC,
Another excuse to upgrade my 50as :lol:.

werd

« Reply #103 on: 31 Mar 2009, 03:08 am »

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough

predrag

« Reply #105 on: 31 Mar 2009, 07:24 am »
Yeah,  James for President!  :thumb:

Frisco

« Reply #106 on: 31 Mar 2009, 07:52 am »
Thanks FM Acoustics and James for the vids  :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #107 on: 31 Mar 2009, 10:07 am »
http://www.gpaedc.on.ca/made_in_peterborough/chex/MadeinPeterborough_Bryston.WMV

nice vid... were u one of those two guys from the start?

Hi werd,

Yes one of the two originals. This was a piece I did for one of the Television stations last year.

james

Bassmann

« Reply #108 on: 31 Mar 2009, 10:57 am »
Damn, didn't work. I tried to post some pictures from google of that demo.

Sorry

werd

« Reply #109 on: 2 Apr 2009, 11:59 pm »
hello everyone

Issue 63 of Hi-Fi + has the PMC ob1i on review. Very nice review indeed. its on the rack now but here's the link
http://www.hifiplus.com/issue63.html picked it up today.

Levi

« Reply #110 on: 3 Apr 2009, 02:21 am »
That is a great review of the PMC OB1i :thumb: 

SMS1977

« Reply #111 on: 8 May 2009, 11:12 am »
Hi this is my first post here.

I am wondering if people could give me their honest assessment of the difference between the FB1i and the OB1i and the TB2M-C and the CB6i. 

I have the FB1i's and am wondering if am missing all that much.  I have read reviews which say that the FB1i is 75% of the OB1i and 60% of the cost, etc.  I have heard OB1i's powered by 28BSST's and I have to say that I was expecting a lot more.  Yes, they sounded a bit better than the FB1i's on an Arcam intergrated, but only may be 10-15% better, so I'm thinking that there would be even less of a difference with the OB1i hooked up to my 4BSSTSQ.  I would also like to know because it will help me determine my upgrade path as well (i.e. possibly skip the OB1i's and go to the PB1i for example).

Finally, I would love to hear what PMC speakers others are using for their surrounds ex. DB1i, TB2i or wafers?

thanks,

Sean

predrag

« Reply #112 on: 10 May 2009, 09:03 pm »
Hello Ian!

Edited out as you asked for!

Cheers! :thumb:
« Last Edit: 11 May 2009, 07:06 am by predrag »

b5pt9

« Reply #113 on: 10 May 2009, 09:48 pm »

I am wondering if people could give me their honest assessment of the difference between the FB1i and the OB1i and the TB2M-C and the CB6i. 

I have the FB1i's and am wondering if am missing all that much.  I have read reviews which say that the FB1i is 75% of the OB1i and 60% of the cost, etc.  I have heard OB1i's powered by 28BSST's and I have to say that I was expecting a lot more.  Yes, they sounded a bit better than the FB1i's on an Arcam intergrated, but only may be 10-15% better, so I'm thinking that there would be even less of a difference with the OB1i hooked up to my 4BSSTSQ.  I would also like to know because it will help me determine my upgrade path as well (i.e. possibly skip the OB1i's and go to the PB1i for example).

Finally, I would love to hear what PMC speakers others are using for their surrounds ex. DB1i, TB2i or wafers?

thanks,

Sean

Well I went from FB1+ to IB1 so not really a direct or fair comparison to the OB1.  The improvement of the big cabinet bass kind of overloaded my senses and I lost some image probably due to the room being too small for the cabinet width.

However I will say without a doubt that the 3" midrange adds substantial presence and detail to voices, guitars, horns, piano, what have you.  There's probably not many instruments that don't benefit from the beautiful midrange driver.

dirk

« Reply #114 on: 11 May 2009, 07:27 am »
@ b5pt9
What size is your room ?

rahman

« Reply #115 on: 11 May 2009, 07:49 am »

thanks,

Sean

Well I went from FB1+ to IB1 so not really a direct or fair comparison to the OB1.  The improvement of the big cabinet bass kind of overloaded my senses and I lost some image probably due to the room being too small for the cabinet width.

However I will say without a doubt that the 3" midrange adds substantial presence and detail to voices, guitars, horns, piano, what have you.  There's probably not many instruments that don't benefit from the beautiful midrange driver.

totally agree. went from fb1+ with arcam integrated to mb2 with 14b-sst and the difference is substantial (in both cases sitting near/midfield) - particularly in the sheer weight of sound and overall transparency (especially in the midrange).

EDIT: Unfortunately, I can't add how the nature and level of improvements could be attributed to each of the pre, 14b and speakers as the arcam went before receiving the 14b. In any event, I should add that I had been running a TB2-c+ with the FB1's with the arcam and now have no centre speaker but have greater clarity with dialogue etc on movies than before. Strange but true.  Given this, I'll probably not bother with a centre speaker (unless a matching MB2-c pops up for a good price, of course!) and get some wafer-2's for surrounds. I would have kept the FB1's for surrounds but my partner's patience with audio things cluttering up the living room understandably only goes so far.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2009, 11:31 am by rahman »

b5pt9

« Reply #116 on: 12 May 2009, 03:27 am »
@ b5pt9
What size is your room ?

It's hard to describe :?  Picture a turret shaped living room of a 1200 sqft bilevel house.

I sit nearfield with walls behind listening position and on left side but it opens 20' out to the right above the stairway and has vaulted ceilings open everywhere and back into the kitchen.

Nearly 5000cuft volume which makes for great bass and overall tonal balance throughout the whole upstairs, but the image suffers from asymmetry at the listening position and the smallish dimension of the roughly 14' deep living room.

So there's a complicated answer to your simple question :)  Once I rotate the setup 45 degrees so the open space is behind the listening position I know it will kick a$$.  Mounting and wiring the surrounds will be a chore though.

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #117 on: 12 May 2009, 06:17 pm »
Hi Sean,

I would say the sonic benfits of the OB1i over the FB1i are subtle.  It's (OB1i) not a speaker that knocks you down and makes you forget everything you've ever heard, it's a very inconspicuous floorstander. The more time spent with OB1i will allow you to get a hold of its character...  I would say that the step up from the FB1i would yield a slight but noticeable improvement in separation, less colouration through the midrange, and lower distortion in the lower frequency register. Where the FB1i is the more rocking, troubled youth of a floorstander, the OB1i is the more sophisticated, college educated member of the kayaking team... Does that make sense? I would not personally make the recommendation to move up from one to the other, as I don't think it will offer the satisfaction the I think you are after.

That said, the jump from FB1i to PB1i would be the absolute one to make, and the only one that I would recommend. With the PB1i the power handling, seperation, imaging, bass response, are all vastly improved. One could say it is basically the FB1i combined with the OB1i, the rocking character of the FB1i, and the sophistication of the OB1i. Very nice indeed, worth having a listen if anything.

For surrounds, I've used the Wafers and the DB1i, both are plenty capable of an invigorating performance.  Any of our models can be mixed and matched with a Wafer or bookshelf.  With blu ray especially, since PMC can handle "! :o DYNAMIC :o!", the cinematic experience is enthralling.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Levi

« Reply #118 on: 12 May 2009, 06:53 pm »
Well said Ian. 

If money no object, I would personally go with EB1i given the size of your listening room (b5pt9).  You will then have it all in one box (Fb1i, OB1i and PB1i = EB1i).  :thumb:

Cheers,
--Levi

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #119 on: 12 May 2009, 06:58 pm »
Well said Ian. 

If money no object, I would personally go with EB1i given the size of your listening room (b5pt9).  You will then have it all in one box (Fb1i, OB1i and PB1i = EB1i).  :thumb:

Cheers,
--Levi

I like you style. 8)