If you could bring just one artist back from the dead... who would it be?

JoshK

I have to agree with the Mozart, Jeff Buckley, Hendrix and SRV. Except Hendrix ended his own life, so not sure it'd be worth it.

orthobiz

Harry Nilsson

Paul

hmen

Frank Zappa

doug s.

• makin' music
frank zappa, jimi hendrix & lowell george.  jimi died choking on his vomit while passed out - not sure that qualifies as "ending his own life"...

doug s.

slbender

• The Bender Rebuild Vintage Amplifier Pages

Walter Gieseking

Eva Cassady

A bit ridiculous, I know. But if you could pick just ONE deceased musical artist -- rock, jazz, pop, classical, ANYBODY -- who would it be and why?

kbuzz3

OK, I get two also,

Phil Lynott - all round showman, poet and musician:

Mick Ronson - great guitarist, great guy:

two excellent and not too obvious choices. Well done sir

Christof

Hard to name just one but, in the moment, I'd say Rainer Ptacek.

chadh

Charlie Parker, of course.

Chad

martyo

Jerry  8)
« Last Edit: 12 Sep 2008, 12:40 pm by martyo »

baumer

Joe Strummer ___RIP.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Stevie Ray Vaughn and Jimi Hendricks

If you guys can bring back two, then so can I.  8)
Besides, if I had "the power" to bring them back, then of course they would be greatful enough to play together live at my house.
Wouldn't it be cool to hear them do a guitar duet of "Little Wing":notworthy:

Bob

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Yeah - one was getting tough. 

I'd have to go with SRV and Zappa.

Bryan

sts9fan

I second the Jerry.

ZLS

When my list got into the high 90's I realized I would have to use different criteria then sheer artistry. 

I would choose Johnny Hodges, Alto Sax player in the Duke Ellington Band of whom it was said, "How can he sound so sweet but swing so hard"  I choose Mr. Hodges because when they hold the ultimate smooth jazz concert, Johnny Hodges would show up play one song and everyone in the audience would say, "So that's what real music sounds like."

rydenfan

Without question, Jerry Garcia. Few artists have touched more people in a profound way than he has.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Georges Bizet.  Wouldn't it be great to have many more operas like Carmen?  He was only 36 when he died of a heart attack.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
Simply the best... Frank Sinatra

martinr

Agree with previous posts - Lowell George - Little Feat may have become a "Supergroup" IMHO if he had continued writing and playing.  (Feat are still great today though - check out a live show if you ever get a chance)

SRV- Blew away all other blues rock players in that Genre

Jimi Hendrix,   I read that prior to his passing he was leaning towards playing with fusion players like John Mclaughlin, it would have been great to see him progress through his career

+ two more -
Joe Pass - great Jazz/Bop guitarist

Tommy Tedesco - Great L.A. studio guitarist - the most recorded guitarist in history

I met Joe Pass and Tommy Tedesco at G.I.T. in Hollywood California in the early eighties - both great guys!

consttraveler

• I think I won!
Michael Bloomfield.

Dave

Scottdazzle

Clarence White (bluegrass and Telecaster guitarist extraordinaire) and Lowell George.