If you could bring just one artist back from the dead... who would it be?

SwedeSound

A bit ridiculous, I know. But if you could pick just ONE deceased musical artist -- rock, jazz, pop, classical, ANYBODY -- who would it be and why? Just so you could see them play live? Because they were gone too soon? Because they had a lot left to give the world? Because they were immeasurably talented and you want to squeeze just a bit more out of them? Because you just miss the hell out of them? 

It doesn't have to be Jimi or Janis -- tho I know they merit. It could be Mozart or Beethoven. And the why is just as important as the who.

I'll get it started. For me, I'd say Stevie Ray Vaughan. Not because he was the best (tho some might argue) or because his death was sudden and unexpected. It was mainly because when it happened. And where. I was a high school student in Minnesota. I had a chance to go see him play at a music festival in nearby Alpine Valley. I didn't make a big effort to go, and I was a BIG fan of his. When he was gone, it hit me hard. I blew that chance, and I'd never get another one. Having him around might heal some strange wound. I don't know.

Yours?

Rocket

Hi,

Buddy Holly.  He was career was cut way too short.

Regards

Rod

meby

Funny I was in high school also when he was playing at Alpine Valley.  A friend asked me if i wanted to go and I said I would go next time he comes, as I did not have the money.  Well there was no next time as that was his last show. :cry:

TomS

Michael Hedges or maybe Jimi Hendrix

audioferret

Mozart.  He died way too young and I would love to see what he would do with today's music.

mcullinan

Jackson Pollock or Vincent Van Gogh. Why? Cuz The were dopey fresh dudes!
Mike  :D

soundbitten1

Can I pick two ?

Scott F.

Esbjorn Svensson

SET Man

Mozart.  He died way too young and I would love to see what he would do with today's music.

Hey!

I was thinking about that too. Although I'm not a big fan of Classical :D

Also, to me is the fact that nobody alive today ever met him. And there is no sound recording of him playing anything that he composed.

So, with that we have no idea what kind of person he is. And how do we know that his music play today is the same way he would have played back when he was still alive?

Well, and it would be cool to see what he think about "Amadeus" the movie. :lol:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Jim Morrison

I am not sure you would get a better rock performance (assuming he was in a state to perform that night).

George

Geardaddy

hmmmm....hard to limit to just one artist, so...

Jeff Buckley
Michael Hedges
Stevie Ray Vaughn

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
Eva Cassidy as she seems to have touched a lot of folks with her songs. I think she would be surprised at just how many people have fallen in love with her songs. Way to young to have been taken but I like to think that she is singing to her Lord now in a private concert for Him.

Philistine

OK, I get two also,

Phil Lynott - all round showman, poet and musician:

Mick Ronson - great guitarist, great guy:

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Jim Croce

Philistine

Hi,

Buddy Holly.  He was career was cut way too short.

Regards

Rod

It's scary how prolific Buddy Holly was - so many great recordings in just a few short years.

stereocilia

My pick...Chris Whitley.

denjo

The Leader of the Band, Dan Fogelberg

pardales

great question......Beatles

Geardaddy

I second the nomination for Eva Cassidy

timind

• permanent vacation
Has to be John Lennon. Although his best songwriting years may have been past, it would have been interesting to watch how a genius copes.