If you could bring just one artist back from the dead... who would it be?

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
Keith Green!

or Mahalia Jackson or Jeff Buckely or.... well no..

Keith Green! Super voice with immense feel and passion!!! And then awesome Piano playing to boot! Wow!
And so melodically superb!!!

ccp

Duke Ellington

GregC

The first names that popped into my head were Jerry Garcia, Freddy Mercury, and Frank Zappa, but then somebody mentioned Bob Marley and I definitely agree.  Along with Bob Marley, how about Peter Tosh who was tragically killed at an early age, and also very influential in the reggae genre. 

Another less mainstream performer who died way too young was Bradley Nowell of Sublime (another senseless victim of a drug overdose).

PhishPhan

Jeff Buckley and Michael Hedges

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
Another that left us to soon, the mighty Minnie Riperton

NewBuyer

Stevie Ray Vaughan.   :(

Hicks

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
Definitely Jimi for me, I have no doubt that rock n' roll would be significantly different today had he lived. 

bprice2

Many have been mentioned who are deserving of Resurrection, but I feel it would be a mistake to bring back Freddie Mercury.  I could not live with another Radio Ga Ga.

I vote Bob Marley.

amadeus916

• Aperion Audio
I wonder how relevant Nirvana would be today had Kurt lived. I guess they weren't just crushing boundries with their music, but theywere pretty large in the grunge scene and IMO were making some pretty amazing music...As seems to be my MO, it seems that I REALLY got more into their music after Kurt died...

TONEPUB

Eddie Van Halen....

soundbitten1

My wife's choice ... Vladimir Horowitz  .

DR

• The Man
The Man of course. :D

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
That one is easy... Frank Zappa

dave

doorman

Only one??! Shawn Lane, Frank Zappa, Jaco Pastorius to name only 3.
Don

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Roy Orbison, Luciano Pavoratti if only for Nessun Dorma (sp?), and Bing Crosby.  Can you imagine Bing is a modern recording?

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Only one??! Shawn Lane, Frank Zappa, Jaco Pastorius to name only 3.
Don

Man, I only named one!  :duh:

Given a second choice;  Muddy Waters.

Have fun,
Jerry

Russell Dawkins

Roy Orbison, Luciano Pavoratti if only for Nessun Dorma (sp?), and Bing Crosby.  Can you imagine Bing is a modern recording?

I can't really speak for Bing's recordings, since I never heard one on anything other than the car radio - but if they were anywhere near as good as Frank Sinatra's, well let's just say we have not come far from that level of quality with all of our modern technology. The best of the engineers of that era were g-o-o-o-o-o-d, and the recordings were absolutely outstanding by even the most contemporary standard. Digital schmigital - those guys rocked!!!!

Bing, by the way got his hands on the first modern tape recorder in the USA, one of the ones that were brought back from Germany. He had connections! This machine was used to record his radio shows so they could be broadcast at the same time in the different time zones across the country. If I'm not mistaken, he showed up at Les Paul's place with one of these machines and said in effect, "Here, Les, play with this!"

These German machines were thought to be about 10 - 20 years ahead of our technology at the time (have you heard of wire recorders?) and led to the Ampex brand.

I imagine he would have been recorded by the best engineers in the States, and they were good. Have you ever heard any of the Elvis recordings before they slathered reverb all over them? Elvis hated the "echo" as he called it, but the originals are astonishing, as were Buddy Holly's and Roy Orbison's.

stlblue

electricbear

Hows about Glen Miller?

Scott F.

Eddie Van Halen....

OK, if Jeff gets to pick EVH, I get to pick Keith Richards.