American Idol

reflex

• Look & Listen Mobile, Alabama
Re: American Idol
« Reply #140 on: 24 Apr 2008, 02:37 am »
AI has not really been about singing talent for a number of years now.  Sometimes the best singer does win...Carrie Underwood for one.  It's much more about who the young..."I'll dial the number til my fingers bleed"...happen to like.  Look at Taylor Hicks two years ago.  The best singer? 

I happen to think that actually winning AI is not the best thing for a really talented contestant.  They're too locked in to being "The American Idol" and can't do exactly what they want for quite some time.  Clay Aiken proved that winning is not necessary.  The show is so popular that just being on it is enough to start a career, if there's real talent there.

Woodsea

« Reply #141 on: 24 Apr 2008, 02:45 am »
I personally did not think Brooke should have been booted off, that right should have been the clueless Memories singer.  Damn, he was awful. 
Carly will do just fine, she will put our a rebel type album.  Maybe she will sing a Sith battle song, and be featured in the next Star Wars game.  Poor Sayesha, she should not have been on the bottom.

reflex

« Reply #142 on: 24 Apr 2008, 03:04 am »
I agree....poor Syesha.  I think she is a beautiful, sweet girl, who can really sing...and she's got to be thinking "what in the hell do I have to do to please these people".  Doesn't matter for her either, though.  With her looks and voice, she has some kind of rewarding career ahead of her.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #143 on: 24 Apr 2008, 03:29 am »
You guys happen to see this ..???

It's been known all season that he put out his own CD in 2006.  And Amazon (I believe) is very friendly to indie musicians, so I don't think this is anything new. 
Well....its no longer there Phil....

...Idol' MP3 86'D....

It was there and now it isn't.

I told you Monday that "American Idol" contestant David Cook's album "Analog Heart" was available for downloading on Amazon's MP3 site. It was so popular that it rocketed to No. 1, beating Mariah Carey's latest release.

Tuesday, however, "Analog Heart" has been digitally removed. It's gone. Although a link remains to see the album cover, the ability to download it has been removed from the site. Additionally, the audio snippets for each song have been removed as well.

What remains are the 91 reviews from enthusiastic Cook fans who did download "Analog Heart" before "American Idol" had it pulled down. One can only wonder what's gone on backstage with Cook and the "Idol" producers, particularly the folks at 19 Entertainment. Cook seemed to be doing an end run around his contract with the show and management group before the contest ended.

Meanwhile, though Carey was playing second fiddle to Cook on Amazon, she's No. 1 this week in the real world. Her "E=MC2" album sold about 500,000 copies last week. It's her biggest first-week sales for a CD since Tommy Mottola said "Cherchez la femme."

richidoo

« Reply #144 on: 24 Apr 2008, 04:54 am »
Cool! Thanks Chris... very interesting!!

nodiak

« Reply #145 on: 24 Apr 2008, 06:17 pm »
Wow, thought for sure either Brooke or Jason would (finally) go. They're light years behind the others (as well as behind Michael, Chikezie, Ramiele, and even a moon flight behind KLC imo). Too bad to see Carly go, she's great. Looks like next week will be the last for Syesha, too bad. I still think she's got the most real talent. You could just read the "WTF!" on her face/body when put into the bottom 2. Carly was a great sport. Being roomies they probably had  :scratch: discussions about the voting tendencies...
So they say 38 million votes, or voters (by seperate ph. numbers maybe)? If it's 38 million votes and people are doing multiple votes (I voted last 2 weeks, 3 and 8 times for Sy)...then there would possibly only be a few million or so actual people voting. Kind of interesting. I don't know what it's costing to vote but probably not worth the charges to me really. I'll just watch it as a weird social phenomenon, with a few good performances sprinkled in  :lol: .   

PhilNYC

« Reply #146 on: 24 Apr 2008, 06:51 pm »
Yeah, Brooke and Jason both had that "WTF" look when they found out they were safe as well....

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #147 on: 24 Apr 2008, 08:05 pm »
I was curious as to what your opinions were about the voting counts being honest.  We never get to see the number of votes for each contestant so how do we know AI is honest?

John Casler

« Reply #148 on: 24 Apr 2008, 08:17 pm »
My Final Four "WAS":

David Cook: Winner

David Archuletta, Syesha, Carly: Tied for Second

Not that Brooke and Jason are not entertaining to watch and enjoy, but I think ultimately the above four are more commercial and serious artistically.

But if votes are $dollars$ and the voters would actually put their $$ toward their favorites, then who am I to say nay? :nono:

John Casler

« Reply #149 on: 24 Apr 2008, 08:20 pm »
And how about the "GUEST TALENT" last night?

Don't remember her name, but she outsang Miriah Carey from last week by a mile.

John Casler

« Reply #150 on: 25 Apr 2008, 01:09 am »

Didn't take Kristi Lee long to produce a full album.

I listened to the cuts, and if you are into Country, it might be a good listen.

Last cut which is a cover is pretty good.

http://www.kristylee.net/album.html

Wonder how soon Carly's album will hit the web.

Bigfish

« Reply #151 on: 25 Apr 2008, 01:38 am »

John:

Her name was Leona Lewis and check her album samples out on Amazon.com.  I think I am going to purchase the album because she is a fantastic singer.

Ken

BradJudy

« Reply #152 on: 25 Apr 2008, 01:40 am »
I was curious as to what your opinions were about the voting counts being honest.  We never get to see the number of votes for each contestant so how do we know AI is honest?

The beauty of the system is that it's in their best interest to be honest.  The people who get the most votes stay on longer, keep getting more fans and ultimately provide their best chances to have both high TV ratings and sell more albums. 

reflex

« Reply #153 on: 25 Apr 2008, 01:45 am »
I got Leona's cd a couple of months ago...excellent.  The girl's got a great voice.

BradJudy

« Reply #154 on: 25 Apr 2008, 01:45 am »

That's because it was out before American Idol happened. 

PhilNYC

« Reply #155 on: 25 Apr 2008, 11:12 am »

Yeah, there's no 3rd party audit of the voting, so they can probably do whatever they want.  However, I am guessing that they are probably sticking pretty closely to the actual voting...

PhilNYC

« Reply #156 on: 25 Apr 2008, 11:13 am »

Yeah, but mostly because Mariah's performance was terrible (half the time I thought she was lip-syncing, the other half I thought her mic was broken)...

PhilNYC

« Reply #157 on: 25 Apr 2008, 11:14 am »

Yep...according to her bio, the album was made two years ago.

John Casler

« Reply #158 on: 25 Apr 2008, 02:00 pm »

Yep...according to her bio, the album was made two years ago.

And here I thought she was just a "pony riding" farm girl trying to make it in the big city.

I heard she made a big (if not fatal) mistake, and got engaged right after being voted off.  :duh:

What was she thinking :scratch:

Bigfish

« Reply #159 on: 30 Apr 2008, 01:08 am »
Round one goes to Syesha.

I take it you don't agree with Simon that she may be in trouble tomorrow night.

As I have done every week I have cast my 20 or so votes before the phone lines filled up for David Cooke.  As Randy Jackson would say "He is the Bomb." :thumb:

Ken