American Idol

Bigfish

Re: American Idol
« Reply #100 on: 11 Apr 2008, 01:03 pm »
After the first week Michael Johns was my favorite contestant.  Since he has tried to sing a Freddie Mercury song and then a Steven Tyler song.  Each time I was left wanting so much more.  I agree with others that Syesha has struggled to sing like the big voices she has been trying emulate but I felt that Michael Johns fell way short of the stars he was trying to emulate.  I could be the only here thinking this, anyone else?

With Freddie Mercury and Steven Tyler he tried to emulate two guys that had/have incredible range in their voices.  Michael definitely does not have that range.  He can sing and I think he is off A.I. because he chose the wrong songs!

Ken

nodiak

« Reply #101 on: 11 Apr 2008, 09:09 pm »
I watched AI the Fantasia year (liked LaToya, George, Jennifer too) and have been watching this year. That was a shock that Michael was out last night, thought he'd last longer than Brooke, Jason and Kristy at least. I'm thinking maybe he's ~ older and so a little out of the emotional scope for the large % of teens that probably vote more than others? Would be interesting to know the demographics of viewers.
Also it'd be more interesting/meaningful if you could only vote once per singer, and say could vote for 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Might get truer results. But hey it ain't my show.
I like Syesha, has the best voice to me. I also liked Chikezie and Ramiele's voices better than the others. But I get it, it's star power too. It can be good entertainment, sometimes just for the fact that it's a competition which makes me curious who will win.
Don

reflex

• Look & Listen Mobile, Alabama
« Reply #102 on: 12 Apr 2008, 12:56 am »
I think Syesha has the best voice, top to bottom of all the contestants.  David Cook has the best stage presence and ability to take a song and move his voice around the melody...and do that well.  Brooke is a single octave singer and as such, would be boring over a full cd.  Kristy can do country well, and that's ok if you're releasing a cd of that style, but I noticed Tuesday night that she had trouble with the easy parts of the song, the verses, but when it came time to belt the chorus she shined.  Having to do various genres and not having David Cook's ability to arrange the song, in a good way, to suit her style of singing as David seems to be able to do, will hurt her in the long haul.  David A. is a good singer, but really is better suited for Disney World where the teenies (who will probably be most responsible for voting him the winner) would love him.  Carly has a great voice, but needs to be careful not to choose songs which take her voice to the edge...too much chance she'll topple over rather than get it just right.  Jason did a good job Tuesday, but his vocal stylings are limited and he'll be hurt again and again if he can't find a song, or arrange one, to suit his strengths.

Michael Johns failed more than Syesha in attempting well known songs by vocalists that he is not as good as. 

But in my opinion, if you heard Jordan Sparks last night with Chris Brown, these contestants need to step it up more than a few big notches if they want to even come close to her.  And I think Syesha could do that.  She has the looks, the smile, the personality (she needs to show it when she sings) and the voice.  What she needs to do, as I said earlier is make better song selections.  There's no need to create comparison opportunities for the listener that she'll lose.

PhilNYC

« Reply #103 on: 12 Apr 2008, 01:23 am »
Every time I hear Carly sing, I think she sounds like a young Nancy Wilson (of Heart).  If she could approach the competition more the way David Cook does, she could be awesome.

I think Syesha needs to emphasize the delicate aspects of her voice instead of trying to wow everyone with the power vocals...because when compared to the true power vocalists like Whitney and Celine, she doesn't quite get there.  But I think the soft first-half of her performance during Dolly week was really mezmerizing.

Kristy definitely did better this week by showing more soul and emotion in her singing, but IMHO it still wasn't up to par with the rest of the singers.  She, like Ramiele, seems to be limited in her creativity relative to the other contestants...which is probably because Kristy and Ramiele both don't have much background in performing in front of an audience (I think all of the other contestants have some experience playing in clubs or competitions).

giantsteps

« Reply #104 on: 16 Apr 2008, 01:12 am »

In my heydey I loved backing female singers...the most beautiful instrument of all.
 But.... having said that... IMO David Cook deserves to be the next American Idol.  :thumb:
 Who drops out this week? I think it's between Carly Smithson and Brooke White.

Frank

PhilNYC

« Reply #105 on: 16 Apr 2008, 05:00 am »
Favorites tonight...David Cook and Jason Castro.

David Archuleta sounds the same every week to me.

Of the women, I liked Carly Smithson. 

The rest were "karaoke hell" as Simon put it.  Kristy will get votes because of her country music angle, but I still think she's the most generic.  I think either Syesha or Brooke will be booted.

Bigfish

« Reply #106 on: 16 Apr 2008, 11:32 am »
Guys:

My favorite singer/performer is David Cooke and I called in to vote for him at least 20 times last night.  Since the show is more of a popularity contest there is no way to predict the outcome - remember last week.  Kristy is very attractive and is milking her strength, contry based songs.  While she does not have the best voice I can see her making it to the very end.  Young David can sing ballads but I have tried of the same old sound every week.  I guess I will go out on a limb and predict a girl is voted off tonight. 

Ken

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #107 on: 16 Apr 2008, 02:52 pm »
I like David C, it's enjoyable to see him overcome the challenge of having to sing something that's not his style. I think his light shown bright having to do MJ's Billie Jean, and last nights Maria Carey songs.
However......Given a record deal, I think I'd tire of his voice before the CD was over.

Same with Kristy. of course she's a 'hottie', which will help her get votes but he talent is definitely lacking. I'd love to see her do better. For weeks I thought she was holding something back, but week after week is the same thing. As much as I hate to say it. she's getting boring.

I'd really like to see Carly Smithson get it. I think she's fantastic in every way.
"The whole package", so to speak. Although, I was very glad to see her wearing long sleeves.  :lol:
That's one Helluva distraction she's got there.

When will Paula get her head out of her ass? :scratch:

Bob

Woodsea

« Reply #108 on: 16 Apr 2008, 05:42 pm »
I like the hotness of Syesha.  She should win, just on her 'talent' alone!  I don't really care of Kristy, truth be told.  Carly could do Janet Jackson "nasty" and I would vote for her.
It is no longer a singing contest, in my eyes.  It is how you play the audience.  They are so close in talent and originality, that no one is standing out week after week.
Just my two cents. 
David is going to win, because he is a man's man, plus he cried last night, that is good for a few crazillion votes. 

giantsteps

« Reply #109 on: 17 Apr 2008, 02:06 am »

Bye Kristy and good luck! In the right hands you can make it big time. Thanks Mariah for a great performance.

Frank

Woodsea

« Reply #110 on: 17 Apr 2008, 02:19 am »
Kristy has a market.  I hope she can get her barrel horse back.  That is one tough girl, have you guys seen those barrel riders?  Scares me, and I was in the stands.

Bigfish

« Reply #111 on: 17 Apr 2008, 02:21 am »

Bye Kristy and good luck! In the right hands you can make it big time. Thanks Mariah for a great performance.

Frank

Frank:

I agree with your comments.  I called my wife at the end of the show and she agreed with me that Brooke, based on last night's performance should have been gone.  Oh well, next week!

Ken

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #112 on: 17 Apr 2008, 07:46 pm »
David is going to win, because he is a man's man, plus he cried last night, that is good for a few crazillion votes. 
Aparently his brother has brain cancer. Again.....
He was flown via medi-vac chopper TO the Idol show to watch (possible for the last time) his brother sing.
That's why he was crying.  :(

Bob

klh

« Reply #113 on: 17 Apr 2008, 08:45 pm »
That's sad. When we watched the show live on Tuesday, my wife thought he was crying because he realised at that moment that he'd made it. At this point it doesn't matter whether he wins or not, it's pretty obvious he'll get picked up.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #114 on: 17 Apr 2008, 09:05 pm »
my wife thought he was crying because he realised at that moment that he'd made it.
Yea, that's what my wife and I thought as well.
My wife didn't tell me about the brother until Wednesday morning. Not sure where she heard it from, most likely a news report (while I was hiding in my man cave talking to you guys). :lol:

Bob

RoadTripper

« Reply #115 on: 17 Apr 2008, 09:51 pm »
I was listening from the other room Tuesday night during the "performance" of one of the female singers. I swear I thought I heard a cat undergoing a neutering process. 

Woodsea

« Reply #116 on: 17 Apr 2008, 10:09 pm »
I knew about the brother, I am not implying that he cried on purpose.  Just that his doing so will pull on American heart-strings.  So, if there is a question in peoples minds between 2 people that are equal in talent,  it could, mind you, make them topple over to his side of the voting.

ajzepp

« Reply #117 on: 18 Apr 2008, 05:05 pm »
I like the hotness of Syesha. 

You and me both, my friend!  :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #118 on: 22 Apr 2008, 02:52 am »
You guys happen to see this ..???

Bigfish

« Reply #119 on: 22 Apr 2008, 02:57 am »
You guys happen to see this ..???

Chris:

David Cooke has been my favorite all season.  It will be interesting to see if the judges now made more negative comments after he sings tomorrow night. 

Ken