American Idol

PhilNYC

Re: American Idol
« Reply #40 on: 26 Mar 2008, 01:40 am »
As much of a fan I am of Syesha, David Cook tonight was absolutely fantastic.  No one else was even close...

He knocked it WAY out of the park tonight... :thumb:

giantsteps

« Reply #41 on: 26 Mar 2008, 01:44 am »

Once again thank you Syesha and yes, tonight, thank you David Cook. Kristy, you're a visual delight and you have a pretty voice....in the right hands you can be a success.

Frank

Bigfish

« Reply #42 on: 26 Mar 2008, 11:50 am »
As much of a fan I am of Syesha, David Cook tonight was absolutely fantastic.  No one else was even close...

He knocked it WAY out of the park tonight... :thumb:

I called and cast votes for David Cook at least 15 times after the show ended.  A couple of years ago I didn't vote for my favorite, Daughtry, and he was booted off.  If Cook gets booted it won't be because I didn't vote!

Ken

Woodsea

« Reply #43 on: 26 Mar 2008, 11:53 am »
When Mr. Cook started singing, I was thinking I know this song??!  :duh:.  Just like Archuleta's rendition of Imagine blew me away, so did Billie Jean last night.  The girls have got their hands full this season.

PhilNYC

« Reply #44 on: 26 Mar 2008, 01:04 pm »

mcullinan

« Reply #45 on: 26 Mar 2008, 01:18 pm »
The Billy Jean rendition was done before, so all the credit going towards him is not deserved. They were wowed by his creativity, but he stole it from elsewhere, and the judges are too old to know better.
Mike

PhilNYC

« Reply #46 on: 26 Mar 2008, 01:37 pm »
The Billy Jean rendition was done before, so all the credit going towards him is not deserved. They were wowed by his creativity, but he stole it from elsewhere, and the judges are too old to know better.
Mike

When Ryan Seacrest introduced him, he said "Here is David Cook, performing Chris Cornell's version of Billie Jean".  So the judges were aware that the arrangement was from someone else.  Personally, I think this performance was far better than Chris Cornell's version...

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #47 on: 26 Mar 2008, 01:44 pm »
I would agree.  We went out to youtube and watched Chris Cornell's version.  My wife and I far preferred David's.  Yes, it was the same basic concept but Davids was much more bluesy - Chris' was more 'angry'.

Bryan

jackman

« Reply #48 on: 26 Mar 2008, 01:47 pm »
Mike

When Ryan Seacrest introduced him, he said "Here is David Cook, performing Chris Cornell's version of Billie Jean".  So the judges were aware that the arrangement was from someone else.  Personally, I think this performance was far better than Chris Cornell's version...

This happens all the time on this show!  Dautry did a version of a Live song and the idiot judges were gushing about his "originality".  Give me a break.  Here is Chris Cornell's version on youtube and IMO Cook's version is an EXACT ripoff of Chris' version.  I disagree with your assessment (sorry) but although I like Cook better than any other performer in this year's Idol, but he ain't no Chris Cornell.  How can the imitator be as good as the originator?   :?

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnYo4tKBG9s

Here is an acoustic version that I absolutely love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2MgwAJrfXo&feature=related

mcullinan

« Reply #49 on: 26 Mar 2008, 01:49 pm »
Oh did they say that it was Chris Cornells version. I missed that part. Then all is ok. Still I wonder if any Idol could muster up the originality that it takes to get recognized in todays musical landscape. Sure you can have a nice voice, but that is less than 50 percent of the equation imo.
Mike

jackman

« Reply #50 on: 26 Mar 2008, 02:00 pm »
Oh did they say that it was Chris Cornells version. I missed that part. Then all is ok. Still I wonder if any Idol could muster up the originality that it takes to get recognized in todays musical landscape. Sure you can have a nice voice, but that is less than 50 percent of the equation imo.
Mike

Yikes, I'm sorry, I missed the part where they said it was Cornell's version.  I watched on Tivo and fast forwarded to the performance.  Still think the version was nowhere near Chris Cornell's version but I'm more than a bit biased!

PS- please compare Cook's version to Cornell's acoustic version (it's less angry) and I believe Cook's version is an exact ripoff.  I liked it anyway.

Cheers,

Jack

PhilNYC

« Reply #51 on: 26 Mar 2008, 02:49 pm »
Still I wonder if any Idol could muster up the originality that it takes to get recognized in todays musical landscape. Sure you can have a nice voice, but that is less than 50 percent of the equation imo.
Mike

Here's one from last year that got some buzz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4IGm9E4W9g

reflex

• Look & Listen Mobile, Alabama
« Reply #52 on: 27 Mar 2008, 04:32 pm »
I just downloaded David Cook's studio version of Billie Jean and burned to cd.  If you think the live version was good, you should hear the one he did in the studio.  The dude has a major career ahead.  Recording quality is actually very good, as well.

EProvenzano

« Reply #53 on: 27 Mar 2008, 04:55 pm »
I just downloaded David Cook's studio version of Billie Jean and burned to cd.  If you think the live version was good, you should hear the one he did in the studio.  The dude has a major career ahead.  Recording quality is actually very good, as well.
Where do you download the studio recordings?  Sorry if I missed it somewhere in this thread.
Thanks  :thumb:

reflex

« Reply #54 on: 27 Mar 2008, 05:14 pm »
The iTunes store.  Billie Jean just became available today.

John Casler

« Reply #55 on: 27 Mar 2008, 05:23 pm »
My Top SIX:

Men:

David Cook
Michael Johns
David Archuletta

Women:

Kristy Lee Cook
Syesha Mercado
Carly Smithson

Comments Men:

David Cook just has it and will likely win the whole enchilada
Johns is a close second in the mens
Archuletta has shown imaturity, and lack of growth, but still is a fantastic talent

Comments Women:

Kristy Lee Cook (two Cooks???) while starting slow, has the overall talent, looks, stage presence, and moves, to grow into the #1 contender against David Cook.

Syesha is HUGELY talented, And could be the womens "dark horse".

Carly has the voice, but most all the rest is lacking.  Not sure if the voice is enough to carry her through.

I think the mens is more cut and dried (David Cook)

The women's is a toss up depending on if Kristy Lee can rise to the potential of her talent.  If not Syesha is hot on her heels.

Jason Castro (for me) is the next to go, and I would have put him out before Chickeeze.

Poor little Ramiele Malubay has such a great voice and face, but I don't think she can mature enough to make any inroads.

Love Brook, but she has more heart than talent, and that doesn't mean she doesn't have talent, but the other girls bring a bit more "potential star power" to the table.

Can't beleive I have seen enough of this show to even have these opinions :duh:

reflex

« Reply #56 on: 27 Mar 2008, 05:28 pm »
While I haven't listened to the other studio versions of songs by any of the other contestants, after hearing Billie Jean by David Cook, there is no question whatsoever that this guy can be a major player in the rock world.

Woodsea

« Reply #57 on: 27 Mar 2008, 06:07 pm »
Hey Jackman.  Coming from Seattle myself I am very partial to hometown boys.  But, I liked Cooks version more than Cornell's.  How can a song be improved on?  How about "I shot the Sheriff" by Eric Clapton.   Kurt Cobain redid a few songs that were amazing!  Try listening to Classical music, and someone will always have a favorite rendition.  Music is art, each has his own interpretation and well as a different ear. 
I prefer Cook over Cornell with this song.  Cornell's voice was not as strong, IMHO

jackman

« Reply #58 on: 27 Mar 2008, 06:33 pm »
Hey Jackman.  Coming from Seattle myself I am very partial to hometown boys.  But, I liked Cooks version more than Cornell's.  How can a song be improved on?  How about "I shot the Sheriff" by Eric Clapton.   Kurt Cobain redid a few songs that were amazing!  Try listening to Classical music, and someone will always have a favorite rendition.  Music is art, each has his own interpretation and well as a different ear. 
I prefer Cook over Cornell with this song.  Cornell's voice was not as strong, IMHO

Hey Woodsea,

No worries, I think it's cool that everyone has a different opinion regarding art/music.  You don't have to go too far to find covers that are better than originals.  I think this song is a perfect example, I think the Cornell version is very original and much better than the MJ original.  I also think Cook is a really good performer and probably the best I have seen on Idol. 

Here is Cornell's studio version, I find it much more bluesy than Cook's, plus I don't know of anyone who can sing like Chris Cornell.   I am totally biased because I'm a big Chris Cornell fan back from the Soundgarden days.  He has one of the most distinctive voices in Rock music.  Check this one out, I think Cornell is not as easy listening as Cook but he conveys emotion as well as any other singer I can recall.

Cheers,

Jman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NUtbT8ecLA&feature=related

mcullinan

« Reply #59 on: 27 Mar 2008, 06:37 pm »
Plus we must MUST take into the account that it is Chris Cornell who wrote the arrangement, not that Idol hack.
Mike

btw i am an original soundgarden fan, before the were popular, like when the were just s s s s and didnt think of the rest of the name, thats how early!

Anyways they are one of my favorite all time bands... best song Jesus Christ pose from Bad Motor Finger :)