Search for an Integrated Amplifier

richidoo

Re: Search for an Integrated Amplifier
« Reply #140 on: 14 Sep 2008, 03:59 pm »
Thanks Dennis and Ken, the other was Raysonic CDP, very sweet smooth low distortion player.

Word is the new Pronto universal remotes are thebomb. Spudco can fill you in. Good luck!
Rich

denjo

« Reply #141 on: 15 Sep 2008, 02:18 am »
Ken: thanks for the info. I have heard many good things about Dan's Mods and feel sure the Transporter after his Mods sound fabulous. Get the right tubes (as you have) and everything just sounds plain right!

Rich: thanks for the CDP info and the Pronto remote recommendations. I was eyeing the "One-for-All" as well as Logitech's "Harmony". You've given me a new lead to explore. This is the Phillips Pronto right?

Chris: here is an amateur photo of my B-100 DA/P sitting on 3 Cardas myrtle blocks. I placed a blue pointer sticker on the volume knob to better gauge the volume setting.

Best Regards
Dennis

richidoo

« Reply #142 on: 15 Sep 2008, 03:44 am »
http://www.pronto.philips.com/

Yup, but there are several models to suit budget and technical requirements.

denjo

« Reply #143 on: 28 Oct 2008, 08:33 pm »
3 months + and the B100 continues to impress! I have ordered some Reality SC and IC.

I hope to post an in-depth review sometime towards the end of Nov or early Dec. Stay tuned!

Best Regards
Dennis

denjo

Search for an Integrated Amplifier - Bryston B100 Review
« Reply #144 on: 7 Nov 2008, 03:02 pm »
Bryston B100 Review

The genesis towards simplicity
While on a family holiday from Perth to Albany by car, I found myself with much contemplative time, driving on excellent roads and highways, through savannah-like fauna to majestic rainforests. 2007 was almost over and 2008 beckoned. Looking back, I asked the basic but poignant question: what have I achieved with my frequent audio upgrades and restless equipment and cable tweakings? How many songs or pieces have I actually enjoyed, free of the shackles of audiophilia nervosa? Has my family (longsuffering wife and two teenage sons) truly enjoyed and used my audio system as their own? Memory flashes of constant equipment change, cable swops, equipment stacked atop each other or precariously sitting in one corner, unused equipment lying everywhere, on the floor, coffee table, lounge set, untidy cables  Sometimes, my family would call my mobile whilst at work for directions to use my system. The system may be simple for me to use, but non-audiophile minds will find the system difficult to use. Have you ever tried giving telephonic instructions on the sequential steps for your audio system to operate? 

Self and sharing
On a more serious note, I realized that my family soon gave up bothering about the audio system altogether, preferring to listen to TV through its built-in speakers. I felt a tinge of selfishness and the paradox of an expensive system hardly enjoyed by anyone else but me. I committed myself to an audio New Year’s resolution and scribbled these broad principles in my audio notebook: “My audio aim for 2008 is to simplify my system and to concentrate on the music and the enjoyment of listening rather than on the equipment!”

Search for that elusive integrated and my List of 10
Thus was born my search for an integrated amplifier that would simplify my system but possessing these entire mandatory attributes:

1.   Simple but musical;
2.   Powerful as a punch, delicate as a feather;
3.   Compact, ergonomical and aesthetically pleasing;
4.   At least 100 watts into 8 ohms;
5.   Solid State, run relatively cool;
6.   Remote control convenience;
7.   Upgrade possibilities;
8.   Reliability, Longevity and Long warranty;
9.   Built-in DAC and Phono;
10.   Affordable.

Why the integrated platform?
The integrated platform, essentially a pre and power combo (rendering a pair of interconnects and power cord redundant) was chosen for its simplicity and small footprint. Most integrateds can internally accept a phono, some a DAC only but to my best knowledge only 3 integrateds can accept BOTH and phono and DAC. They are Musical Fidelity’s A1008, Accuphase’s E series and Bryston’s B100. [There is an unfamiliar product called Advance Acoustic which has a DAC phono integrated Model MAP305DA II].The trio would effectively be 4 things housed in a single chassis – a preamplifer, amplifier, phono preamp and DAC. The MF comes in two chassis, one to house the integrated and the other the massive but separate PSU. The Bryston’s DAC has 4 digital inputs feeding the DAC, of which 2 are RCA and 2 are optical. Think about it, the B100 allows you to feed 4 digital sources into an excellent DAC, elevating your digital equipment with “digital out” option to near state-of-the-art digital playback. My plan was to connect my SB3, Oppo DVD/CD player and Cable TV and still have one extra input for another source like a Wadia 170 iTransport. I hope you can appreciate the significance of how your digital system will be elevated to a new musical plane, with playback knocking on the door of Bryston’s well acclaimed BCD-1 and BDA-1. Each digital input could be assigned a source selection, for example, “CD”for SB3, “VIDEO” for Oppo and “TV” for Cable TV. My family would have no problems using all of the sources assigned, not unlike the simplicity and convenience of operating a midi audio system.

Brief daliance with YBA
This review would not be complete without a brief mention of the YBA Passion which I had the honour of auditioning in my home. This was the 50 watt version, not the more powerful 100-watter, Passion 300. The YBA could be fitted with a phono (an excellent one at that) but not DAC as well. Listening to the Passion, I was almost prepared to forgo the DAC requirement, only because the Passion was so musical and emotionally involving. When I discovered that the “bigger brother” was 30% more expensive than the Bryston B100 but without a DAC, I wasted no time striking it out of my list, notwithstanding that I was so deeply enamored by its musical qualities. I had to remind myself of my defined parameters and religiously stick with the List of 10 which I had earlier identified as mandatory requirements.

Bryston B100 – the only one remaining
I am quite familiar with MF gear (still own the A1 Final Edition) and know from experience how hot the amplifier can run (you could fry an egg on its ribbed heatsink top!). This runs counter to the attribute that the amplifier must run relatively cool. As an environmentalist (I drive a Hybrid car and wear a batteryless Kinetic watch), my audio system should also reflect my environmentally friendly beliefs. The Accuphase seemed like a good contender but had only 2 digital inputs and the 5-year warranty (though long by industry standards) is only a quarter of Bryston’s one score.

This leaves only one contender, the Bryston B100. I spent much time conducting due diligence of the B100, ploughed through product specifications, reviews …and lurked around the Bryston forum. I enquired with Bryston owners (thanks Niels, proud owner of a B100) to get important feedback of Bryston gear in general and B100 in particular. I must commend Bryston for managing an informative and comprehensive website (www.bryston.ca). During this time, I was struck with the loyalty of Bryston’s following and the not uncommon response of Bryston’s senior management to descend into the arena and “fellowship” with Bryston owners, giving advice and information, literally catering to one and all with diverse topics that ranged from upgrading old Brystons to the occasionally disgruntled owner, unhappy with something or other. Without exception, all emails were answered with admirable honesty, respect and grace. This is just unbelievable! As an aside, I can recall emailing the President of a well known audio product, one I revered, over the subject of fabricating a preamplifier PSU that had been “lost” when my father moved house. I did not even get an acknowledgment, much less a reply! After much perseverance, I received an unhelpful and lukewarm reply from someone in customer service to say that they did not stock replacements their 8-year old equipment. In effect, the company might as well have said, “Buy a new preamplifier!”  My respect for that company flew out of the window and has remained there ever since.

[Continued in next post]
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2008, 02:43 pm by denjo »

denjo

« Reply #145 on: 7 Nov 2008, 03:03 pm »
20-year Warranty – too good to be true?
After a really bad experience with an audio gear that broke down 16 days after expiry of its one year warranty, and the hassle with the local agent and manufacturer over the repair of the item, I resolved never to buy any amplifier without at least a 3 year warranty.  When Bryston offered a 20-year warranty (5 for the digital part), my first reaction was one of incredulity. How can Bryston guarantee a product for a generation and yet still be a going concern?  I could buy a Bryston in honour of my son’s birth and present it as a gift to him when he comes of age at 18!! But, guaranteeing a product for 20 years and delivering on the warranty are two separate things! How do I know that Bryston will be around in 20 years time? However, I learnt from the Bryston forum that the company is serious about honouring its word and I have seen a few posts when the guarantee (even on a resold Bryston) is invoked.  Bryston’s warranty is reminiscent of Patek Phillipe’s tagline, “You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely take care of it for the next generation.” The same could be said of Bryston products; I am merely a steward or trustee of the product for the benefit of the next generation!

Reviews
I scoured the internet for official and unofficial reviews, extensively read practically every review ever written about the B100 (and its sibling B60). While one glowing review does not say very much about a product, 10 out of 10 glowing reviews paints a very different picture. Try as I may, I could not find one single review that was negative. It might be lukewarm, neutral at worse but there was not a single negative review, official or otherwise! While I do not rely entirely on reviews, it does provide some basic indicator of the pedigree of a product. When the verdict is unanimous, the likelihood of getting a winner is almost foolproof.

Buying unseen, unheard - Like a pig in the poke
Without the benefit of an audition (my local dealer does not stock B100s and informed me that the B100s are usually only fabricated upon specific order), you must appreciate that a well-reviewed amplifier could sound terrible with my speakers, cables, etc. Audiophiles call this syndrome “system synergy”, or the lack of it. It was a risk I was prepared to take given the upside that if the B100 synergised, my choice would be a complete package. I would be buying four things with the B100 – amplifier and preamplifier, DAC and phono!

Leben sojourn
My brief time with the Leben CS-600 and the near disaster of burning my speakers and amplifier through the inadvertence of a careless tube roll made me realize that tubes, beguiling as they sound, was not for me! The Leben ran so hot over the summer (May/June), that I would be forgiven believing that a central system had been installed in my lounge! The hifi rack felt like a BBQ pit, even my left speakers felt the “roasting” on its side veneer.

The decision – for better or for worse
Sometime in May 2008, I decided to take the plunge and placed an order for the B100-PH/DA. After an anxious wait, my B100 arrived in June and was greeted with much expectation and a little trepidation. I remember holding the B100 in my hands and wondering how something relatively so small and light could possibly “beat” my other pieces of separate equipment (Bent Audio TAP, Sanders ESL, Altmann Attraction DAC, Lehmann Black Cube SE).

An unexpected anticlimax – Murphy’s Law in operation
Excitement soon turned to disappointment! The B100 began thermal shutdown within its first hour! The assuring green lights turned to alternating amber/green! I felt crestfallen! How could a Bryston which survived a grueling 100 hour torture test in the factory fail in its 1st hour? How is it to last the remaining175,199 hours (20 years – 1 hour) when it cannot even pass the 1st hour? Such negative and angry thoughts raced through my mind. I shot an email to VP James and almost immediately received a reply. Within a day, Bryston had agreed to fabricate a brand new unit to ship out as soon as they could, without compromising their stringent standards. With hindsight, my dealer told me that the 1st unit had fallen from a height whilst in transit and the handlers enquired if a survey was necessary. The fall must have disengaged some precise parts and caused the failure which I experienced. However, I was glad for the experience; it demonstrated convincingly how swiftly Bryston responded to ensure nothing less than total customer satisfaction. It also made me realize the efficacy of the thermal shutdown which protected my delicate Harbeths from otherwise certain damage.

All good things come with patience – a lesson in the learning
Within a month, Bryston shipped the new B100 replacement which arrived safe and well, without incident this time. Straight out of the box on power up, I could sense the B100’s innate power but I was disciplined enough not to push the amplifier beyond its limits. The sound was closed-in and muffled, lacking precise soundstaging. I patiently waited until the 100-hour mark when things began to open up, the soundstage began to define, left to right and front to back spatial dimension began to expand and deepen. During this time, the unmistakable Bryston bass characterized much of my listening. From my other posts you will see that I had bass issues with my Thiels and for the longest time, found the elusive bass something quite difficult to live without. The superb ACI Force XL provided the Thiels with seismic support and filled the LF gap. With the B100, one of the first things I learnt was that I did not need the Sub which was turned off except for movie watching when the extra * oomph * was needed to enhance the listening experience. Otherwise, the ACI has been decommissioned and is largely out of service!

[Continued in the next post]

denjo

« Reply #146 on: 7 Nov 2008, 03:04 pm »
When I connected the Auditorium 23 speakers via the LF rather than HF (single ended with Harbeth brass connectors), the sound improved dramatically. I have had the B100 for about 4 months now, during which time I found myself immersed more in the music than the system. I no longer yearn to hear minutiae from details or how deep or wide the soundstage; I no longer focus on audiophile perspectives or terminologies. To my ears, the Bryston-Harbeth combo simply allows me to relax after a hard day’s work and simply enjoy and appreciate music, focusing more on the mood of the music than the equipment. I feel refreshed, renewed. The simplicity accords with my present philosophy to be simple and to appreciate the little things in life. Less is more. Get rid of the clutter, free oneself of the shackles of complexity and complications. In fact my listening appreciation has been meditative and reflective rather than awareness or consciousness. The audio system is the means to get me where I want to be, not an end in itself.

Visually, my rack has “shrunk” and looks quite plain now. Except for the Paul Hynes’ PSU to feed my SB3, I do not have any other equipment on the floor. The shelves house an Audiolab tuner, an Oppo DV-980H, the Cable TV setup box and my SB3. The B100 sits on its own shelf, the SOTA TT on the top shelf. The B100’s rear is also very tidy looking, no longer the spaghetti labyrinth of yore. I have saved the need for 4 power cords and 4 pairs of interconnects! Instead, a single RCA or optical cable feeds the B100 DAC from my digital sources. The clutter is no more. My mind is also free of clutter. All that matters now is the music!

Sound
It is amazing how much the quality of bass contributes to the music. All these years, my major gripe was how lacking of bass my system sounded. Indeed, bass is the foundation of music and gives musical lines the proper terra firma in which to weave the musical tapestry. Brystons are well known for bass, giving solidity and realism to the music. The treble and high frequency is glare and grain-free and is literally as clean as a whistle. Midrange is as good as it gets. The Bryston’s speed and transient attacks reminds you that the heart of the B100 is solid state. The midrange beguiles you to think you are listening to a good SET or MOSFET hybrid, but the speed and transience serves to remind you its solid state. The B100 allows a clear view into the music, easily separating between the various instruments and vocals. You always know what is happening and what everyone else in the musical milieu is doing. You can choose to focus on the vocalist or the violinist on her left or the double bass player on the right. Or you can choose to listen to the individual musicians as an integral whole. It’s like being in a cosy café engaged in tete a tete with your wife but being aware of your surroundings and of each individual sitting around their respective tables. The whole stage is beautifully lit but you decide to turn the spotlight on or off. In a system that is less resolving, where instruments and vocals blur, the fatigue comes from the mind’s unconscious need to sift and separate to construct a realistic soundstage. The Bryston presents music in a very honest way with its neutrality; everything is in the right proportion, nothing leaps out to break this equilibrium of sense and balance. That is what I have come to appreciate of the B100.

DAC - not one but four
The advantage of having 4 inputs feeding one DAC means that you can connect any digital source and be assured that the music will have a certain familiarity, house sound if you like, depending of course on the quality of the digital signal. While I did not conduct a serious A/B comparison between the Bryston DAC and the Altmann Attraction or Paradisea, an informal listen indicated that the Bryston is a competent DAC which sounds cleaner and better than the Altmann and the Paradisea, in that order. The ability to easily toggle between the various sources would easily place the Bryston DAC in the same league as the Altmann Attraction (hitherto my reference DAC), while the Paradisea is quite obviously some rungs below the Bryston DAC.

Internet radio
What intrigues me is how much better the SB3 internet radio (IOJazz, IOAcoustic, IOClassical, TSF 89.9 @ Live) sounds through the Bryston DAC than it does with the Altmann Attraction DAC. Through the Altmann, I had to live with some digital harshness and edginess and was even contemplating one of Wayne’s SB3 upgrades to cure the “digititis”. However, when internet radio stations were fed through the Bryston DAC, the digital harshness was somehow mitigated and lessened to the extent that I did not need the mods and could even live with the sound which somehow was filtered of its digital harshness. On some tracks, I felt it even bettered my Audiolab analog tuner, motivating me to listen more to internet radio than I do the analog tuner. This led to the discovery of a whole new wealth of music which would have been unimaginable if I had to buy each and every track or CD.  I have absolutely no idea why internet radio sounds better through the Bryston DAC except to hazard a guess that the upsampling (not to be confused with oversampling) and jitter reduction must have contributed significantly to the sound I am hearing. Whatever it is, I am certainly not complaining.

Convenience without compromise
Bryston’s B100 is an impressive audio gem which I am convinced will continue to satisfy with all genres of music from all kinds of sources and provide my family and me with endless hours of musical enjoyment, pleasure and delight for many years to come. At the end of the day, it’s all about the music. The B100 has made me focus on the music, emphasizing that the equipment is but a tool you use to achieve the ultimate goal of musical enjoyment. The integrated is as easy to use as operating a lamp. Turn on and off is fuss-free and undramatic, no pops, cracks, hum, interference; just pure music all the way.  This simplicity which began with my search for an audio system now permeates other areas of my life, my work, and my relationships with family and friends. I no longer feel the need to hold audio sessions in my home to impress others of my system or to be impressed by other’s system. When asked, my response is always consistent, “I have a very simple system, and a humble integrated!” My conversation now focuses on music and artistes, their lives, not equipment, not the latest cable or tweak. I am contented, happy, fulfilled and satisfied. The Bryston B100 has helped me to achieve what I value most in life - quality time with my family, focusing on priorities that matter – and truly with the B100 “less is more”.

My search for an integrated amplifier has ended with the Bryston B100. My son is holding me to my promise that someday the B100 will be his to enjoy!

Best Regards
Dennis

Ps, I have not spent much time with the phono but what little time I did my SOTA TT sounded excellent! I will need to invest in a record cleaner  before I can spin more vinyls.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #147 on: 8 Nov 2008, 06:39 am »
Excellent review Dennis.... :beer:

Its a good feeling when it all comes together....enjoy !! :thumb:

It is amazing how much the quality of bass contributes to the music. All these years, my major gripe was how lacking of bass my system sounded. Indeed, bass is the foundation of music and gives musical lines the proper terra firma in which to weave the musical tapestry.

How true !!! :wink:

Chris

denjo

« Reply #148 on: 8 Nov 2008, 07:16 am »
Hi Chris

Thanks for your kind words!

Yes, its been a long journey with challenges along the way but it certainly feels good to settle down to something I like!

Keep well!

Best Regards
Dennis

denjo

« Reply #149 on: 13 Nov 2008, 05:31 pm »
I have observed a most annoying flaw in my B100 which seems to recur with increasing frequency! The amplifier is unable to detect my digital sources (I have 3 running at the same time) and simply stays in analog mode! I have to turn it off, then on again, sometimes alternating between standby and on until the digital is engaged!

James has graciously agreed to let me return the set for a refund!

Much as I am devastated, this journey has taken almost a year, I guess I will have to renew my search again, perhaps paring down my List of 10!!

Cacophonix

« Reply #150 on: 13 Nov 2008, 06:41 pm »
Can you get a new unit instead? If you liked the b100sst this much, why look start the search again?

denjo

« Reply #151 on: 13 Nov 2008, 10:40 pm »
Cacophonix

That was my second unit which Bryston replaced when the first was defective. Someone did caution me that buying audio equipment with multiple functions usually means that the risk of things going wrong is higher. He argued that a minimalist product would have less things go wrong.

If Bryston provides another unit, that would be my third in 4 months!

Best Regards
Dennis

Cacophonix

« Reply #152 on: 13 Nov 2008, 10:59 pm »
That really does suck then.

All the best in your search. Btw, i've not read through the topic, but have you considered the plinius 9200? And how important is the internal DAC to you?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #153 on: 13 Nov 2008, 11:08 pm »
Dennis...

The amplifier I choose must be an integrated SS with the following built-in features - DAC and Phono MM - powerful enough to drive my Harbeth HL5, with headroom to spare. It must also be reliable and come with more than a 1 year warranty.

Back to square one....sorry to hear of your problem... :?

Frisco

« Reply #154 on: 13 Nov 2008, 11:18 pm »
denjo,

I've been reading your saga here and it will be interesting in what you plan to do next.  :scratch:

Hmmmmm....maybe you'll just have to get an separate external dac with a great integrated?

best of luck....looking forward to your next move.. :thumb:

denjo

« Reply #155 on: 13 Nov 2008, 11:18 pm »
Cacophonix

Yes, I have a soft spot for the kiwi Plinius and have heard the earlier 9100 some years back. It does run hot and is rather expensive.

It was my initial plan to have an internal DAC but I am beginning to realise that its probably best to house the DAC separately - its simpler, less things to go wrong.

My friend is arranging for me to audition the LFD Zero Mark III (which Sam Tellig enthused in Stereophile, Feb 2008). I think this amp hardly needs any introduction. Its rather minimalistic - no remote, no DAC but phono is an option - and seems to have quite a synergy with Harbeths. I am keeping an open mind about this. Earlier in my thread, I shared my experience with the Zero's bigger brother, the MI 100 (dual mono integrated in one chassis, 90 watts MOSFET into 8 ohms) and was very impressed with its musicality, only side-stepping it because it had no DAC and remote!

I should be able to report back with my impressions of the Zero in a few days time. Meanwhile, I will soon be without an amplifier! :{

Frisco: thanks for your suggestion. Indeed, that seems to be the path I am taking. So out of the dust comes my Altmann Attraction DAC!

Best Regards
Dennis

Zero

« Reply #156 on: 13 Nov 2008, 11:35 pm »
I look forward to the next installment Denjo.

denjo

« Reply #157 on: 13 Nov 2008, 11:57 pm »
Hi Sean (Zero)

Thanks for your kind words. This thread is beginning to look like the travails of an audiophile!  :)

Best Regards
Dennis

dspringham

« Reply #158 on: 14 Nov 2008, 12:42 am »
Dennis

I have recently purchased Harbeth SLH5's as well and really like them - they sound just the way they look; full- bodied, warm, rich and resonant.

I have run them with a Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 which I think is a great match. However I have read so many threads (on various forums) about the wonderful synergy with the LFD amps and Harbeth speakers (as well as similar comments about a certain synergy with the Leben amplifiers which you have owned previously). I would be greatly interested in hearing your comments on the match with the LFD Zero - please keep us posted.

By the way, I am running an iMac/itunes with Wavelength Cosecant USB DAC.

Regards,
Dave

denjo

« Reply #159 on: 14 Nov 2008, 03:15 pm »
Dennis

I have recently purchased Harbeth SLH5's as well and really like them - they sound just the way they look; full- bodied, warm, rich and resonant.

Hi Harbethian Dave

Absolutely agree with all you say about the Harbeth SHL5!

Best Regards
Dennis