Search for an Integrated Amplifier

denjo

Re: Search for an Integrated Amplifier
« Reply #160 on: 14 Nov 2008, 03:41 pm »
Today I auditioned a discontinued Accuphase integrated (I think it was the E-407) ..... If you took out the pair of meters, and from far the Accuphase looks quite like a Denon or Marantz. To be honest, I cannot say I know much about Accuphase products. Perhaps, I am more familiar with their tank-like CDPs (circa 1993). My Dad had an Accuphase at one time. That is the sum total of my knowledge about Accuphase, until I began my search for an integrated amplifier. Like the Bryston, the Accuphase integrateds can be fitted with a phono and DAC (DAC only has 2 inputs, RCA and Toslink). But, unlike the Bryston which is usually factory fitted with the phono and/or DAC (in which case the lid needs to be removed for installation), the Accuphase has 2 slots at its rear which allows the user to simply slide the appropriate card into the slots!! What a clever idea!

Today I was able to inspect the integrated at close quarters and was impressed with the Lexus-like build quality. It weighed a hefty 40 to 50 pounds I reckon. It had treble, bass, balance and boost controls (I mused to myself that this does not sound audiophile-like). I settled into my seat as the dealer powered the Accuphase integrated - no pops or clicks, just dead silence. That sounds like a good start! When music started playing, I realised that this is a serious amplifier and sat up straight, all ears to the speakers. After about 30 minutes, I felt the amplifier beginning to loosen up and by the hour the music was just flowing. my mind came saying, "Its a Japanese SS amplifier, not too different from a Denon or Marantz, only better build!" The meters reminded me of a McIntosh. But, the music simply flowed and each time I doubted, the music captivated and mesmerised me!! This cannot be real, I thought!

After an hour and half, I placed my palms on the top of the amplifier. Only lukewarm! I cranked the volume up and expected the music to sound congested, blurred. Surprise, surprise, no matter how I pushed the dB levels up all I heard was silky smoothness. At the end of my session you could say I was impressed - very impressed. The dealer mentioned that in the 10 years he has worked there, he has not seen a single Accuphase amplifier fail! Was he telling me the truth? My experience of late has been a travail of defective units. I asked the dealer if he switched the amplifier off when no one was listening. He replied that the integrated was left on from morn till evening, practically everyday for the last 4 or 5 years!!

Has any AudioCircler had any experience with Accuphase integrated amplifiers? The E-450 replaced the E-407 and ably meets my List of 10! I may still listen to the LFD but without a remote and minimalistic functions, the LFD does not meet all 10 criterion that I had earlier set in my search for that elusive integrated. It looks like I will need to conduct due diligence on Accuphase integrateds.

Best Regards
Dennis
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2008, 04:36 am by denjo »

JIMV

« Reply #161 on: 14 Nov 2008, 05:01 pm »
I am coming very late to your thread and have only read the last few pages, but have you considered anything with tubes? You might be surprised. Good luck with the amp. The company has a good rep, but so does Bryston.

TheChairGuy

Re: Search for an Integrated Amplifier - Bryston B100 Review
« Reply #162 on: 14 Nov 2008, 05:30 pm »
Search for that elusive integrated and my List of 10
Thus was born my search for an integrated amplifier that would simplify my system but possessing these entire mandatory attributes:

1.   Simple but musical;
2.   Powerful as a punch, delicate as a feather;
3.   Compact, ergonomical and aesthetically pleasing;
4.   At least 100 watts into 8 ohms;
5.   Solid State, run relatively cool;
6.   Remote control convenience;
7.   Upgrade possibilities;
8.   Long warranty;
9.   Built-in DAC and Phono;
10.   Affordable.

You're a complicated man, Dennis  (but I/we love the way you string out your thoughts plainly for all to see) :wink:

About 8 of your 10 tenets are on my list, too (save the built-in DAC and minimum 100 watts).  I'm a vinyl-junkie that loves what short signal paths do for vinyl playback (and, hence, don't dig outboard phono stages...I hear degradation for ever one I've tried over decent onboard phono stages)

I, too, like the small footprint and minimal fussing of 'integrated' components of some sort.

A purist design came out from Pioneer in the past year that has garnered good reviews....the Elite SX-A9-J.  In the US it's a receiver - integrating a lackluster (AM/FM background sound for me, anyways) radio into the mix.  In the UK, don't know about Singapore or elsewhere, it's an integrated only (no radio).

Word is the MM section is superb....and in my experience dual mono (which is what the Pioneer is right back to the dual toroids) is of huge benefit to vinyl.  Like Luxman's of old, it even has a 'Direct Access' feature....so no processing (or lights) are on during playback for the purest experience possible. So, I bought one yesterday after phumphering :roll: around with the thought of getting one as long as your most recent integrated journey has taken.

It's extremely well built for the money....with the toroids (unusual) sitting in the front of the chassis so the in and out signals have extremely short paths for best potential sound. Yeah, it's got some computer looms in there (not thrilled with that most times for sonic reasons, tho I realize I might be imagining it more than anything else 8))

Here's the internals of this (only 55 watt) beastie:

Hope springs eternal!!  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58628.msg551938;topicseen

John

nzera

« Reply #163 on: 14 Nov 2008, 06:51 pm »
On a similar quest for simplification.  My minimalistic living room system currently consists of the April Music AuraNote all-in-one driving Duevel Planets.  I've been very impressed with the Aura Note.  Lot of features (AM/FM, CDP, lots of digital inputs).  Soundwise, I would say it is comparable to the entry level YBA and LFD integrateds- musical, not overly warm or bright, transparent but not thin.  The AuraNote is currently selling for about $1200 new- a good value.

I've previously owned the Harbeth HL5s and suspect the AuraNote would be a great combination.  When I owned the Harbeths, my preferred integrateds were a Jungson JA88D and a PrimaLuna Prologue 1- also owned the Plinius 9200, but thought it was a terrible combination (slow and lifeless).  The AuraNote has a very clean top-end that should complement the supertweeter on the HL5.  Only downside would be if you are trying to increase the midrange transient speed on the Harbeth's (which is why I liked tubes or ClassA SS).

denjo

Re: Search for an Integrated Amplifier - Bryston B100 Review
« Reply #164 on: 15 Nov 2008, 12:52 am »

You're a complicated man, Dennis  (but I/we love the way you string out your thoughts plainly for all to see) :wink:

Hi John

How true! Sometimes I feel I am too complicated for my good! Thanks for the kind words! I was beginning to wonder if my longsuffering AudioCirclers reading my journey would soon be worn out with this incredibly long and weary journey of mine! :)

The last time I heard a Pioneer was their highly acclaimed A400, the poor man's ticket to the door's of audio nirvana (do you remember that one?), and later the A400X (not as good)! Then they went AV and HT in a big way. Its glad to see them back with what looks to me like a vinyl's delight!! Double toroid, direct access and lights out! This looks like Pioneer is coming back to serious audio. If they had included a DAC as well, I might seriously give it a listen. Thanks for the head's up, I will be looking out for this model when I am next in the shops!

nzera: thanks for chiming in with your experience of the Harbeth SHL5. To be honest, I have not heard of the AuraNote but if its knocking on the doors of YBA and LFD, I am listening! I have tremendous respect for YBA and LFD gear and admire their musical attributes. I have heard the same comments about the Plinius being a less than satisfactory mate with Harbeths and yes the PrimaLunas are known to synergise nicely with the SHL5, so too the Lavardins and Jadis. Glad to hear that we share the same philosophy about simplifying the system. When less is really more! Keep well and welcome to AudioCircle!

Best Regards
Dennis

denjo

« Reply #165 on: 15 Nov 2008, 01:25 am »
Hi nzera

Holy Smoke! The AuraNote looks like one serious Bwitish gear! Pity for the lack of a RCA and/or Toslink digital in! Otherwise, it would have met my List of 10. Bet it would sound great with my Rogers LS3/5A (15 ohm version). Alan Shaw of Harbeth believes that just 50 serious watts of MOSFET power will be all one needs to make the Harbeth SHL5 sing! In fact, he openly admits that he uses an old 50 watt MOSFET amplifier, even for testing and voicing his speakers!

You lucky guy!

Best regards
Dennis

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #166 on: 15 Nov 2008, 04:57 am »
Dennis.....

I just checked the calender.... :wink:

If you blow out all the candles....
your sure to find that Integrated that you seek...  :beer:

Enjoy........

Chris

denjo

« Reply #167 on: 15 Nov 2008, 09:50 am »
Hi Chris

Thanks very much for the well wishes! You are certainly a man of surprises, pleasant ones!

Best regards
Dennis

pardales

« Reply #168 on: 15 Nov 2008, 12:29 pm »
Sorry the Bryston did not work for you. I have always found the "search" or "hunt" to be a double-edged sword. It is exciting to buy/demo new gear, receive it, try it out. It is also sometimes unnerving trying to make comparisons, keep in mind all your likes and dislikes, have a system that is in flux, and sell stuff you decide not to keep.

I wish you good luck with this. My system too is in flux right now. One suggestion:

If you would be willing to have two boxes instead of one, say an integrated amp and a separate DAC or and DAC/PRE and amp, it would greatly open up your possibilities. This may or may not be a good thing depending on your perspective.

Best,
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2008, 09:35 pm by pardales »

denjo

« Reply #169 on: 15 Nov 2008, 01:05 pm »
Hi Pardales

thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I entirely agree with you that if I compromise the strictures of a box solution (pre, power, phono and DAC), there will be more possibilities for me to choose from. But, I must try to keep to my List of 10 for a simple, neat system. Believe me, I was tempted to try the LFD gear which so impressed me about 6 months ago but, as I earlier observed, LFDs don't come with remote. No DAC too! Otherwise, the LFD was a very musical amplifier that would have satisfied my audio taste for many years to come.

The Accuphase E-450 comes with optional slot-in DAC and phono cards and is beautifully made. I am told Accuphase is built like a German tank and reliability and longevity are standard qualities. It sounded very musical too. The dealer did not have hifi speakers but only Bose Acoustimas and the combo (real overkill) sounded astonishingly good. I feel sure that my Harbeths would have allowed the accuphase to shine!

How is your Audiosector USB DAC coming along? Hope you are enjoying PC=based music like never before!

Keep well!

Best Regards
Dennis

Ps, for those interested to read the specs of the Accuphase E-450 please click here ---> www.accuphase.com

pardales

« Reply #170 on: 15 Nov 2008, 03:24 pm »
Dennis: I have only ever read good things about Accuphase, but never heard or owned a piece myself. I think of it as the McIntosh of the far East. Good luck with it.

Still enjoying PC-based audio. After having a static system for over two years I am once again in flux myself. At this point everything is up for grabs in my system. I am searching for a new integrated amp and possibly a new DAC. As far as a DAC goes both the AVA Insight and Audiosector are in the running -- I may try a few others as well. I may try the Vaughn Audio Carina or another Niteshade audio amp for my integrated. I am also going to try a new pair of speakers -- the Tonian Labs TL-D1's. We'll see. Good fun, for a while.

« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2008, 09:36 pm by pardales »

Frisco

« Reply #171 on: 15 Nov 2008, 04:04 pm »
Dennis.....

I have not actually heard this particular model but have heard their separates.......sounds very very nice  :thumb: They were hooked up to some Wilson Duettes and they were an excellent combination. Have you checked out Naim?

http://www.naim-audio.com/products/supernait.html

denjo

« Reply #172 on: 15 Nov 2008, 04:23 pm »
Hi Frisco

Thanks for your inputs! Yes, I have heard Naim products but somehow never got connected with them. I know Naim has a good following, almost cult status with some users here in Singapore. I have also heard AVI, Audiolab, Rega, Arcam, MF, Creek .... in fact almost all of the mainstream British gear! I've owned AVI before (Lab series) but despite its impressive published specs, I was quite underwhelmed by its ability to drive the Thiel CS2.4.

I am leaning more and more towards the Accuphase ... we will see!

Best Regards
Dennis

Frisco

« Reply #173 on: 15 Nov 2008, 04:31 pm »
haven't had the pleasure of hearing the Accuphase but I do prefer the looks over the Naim products. Tired of seeing all black.......

Go for the Accuphase, I hear nothing but excellent feedback.....like someone said here before...the Mcintosh of the Far East  :drool:

Best of Luck in your search   :thumb:

denjo

« Reply #174 on: 15 Nov 2008, 04:51 pm »
Go for the Accuphase, I hear nothing but excellent feedback.....like someone said here before...the Mcintosh of the Far East  :drool:

Thanks Frisco
Yes, I rather like that quote! Thanks for the thumb's up! One more step closer to the Accuphase!
Best Regards
Dennis

denjo

« Reply #175 on: 19 Nov 2008, 11:48 am »
~ Latest Update ~

Although Bryston Canada agreed to a refund, my local Bryston dealer will only agree on condition that I pay for all his 3rd party costs (freight x 4 way, airport tax x 2 way, local courier charges to deliver and collect back 1st defective unit). If I chose this option, I would be left with half of what I paid!!  :cry:

So, after much thought, I decided to give my local dealer a chance to see what went wrong with the digital function. Wrapped in a blanket, I carefully carried and left my B100 with the dealer. His technician will begin diagnostic analysis tomorrow. While there, I also observed that the bias was out of sync, with the left side hotter than the right side but in both instances, way too hot to pass the "put your hand and leave it there test!" The dealer assured that he would adjust the bias to within 0.25 mV!

I came back home, sat in my lounge and somehow miss the B100 which I had grown quite accustomed to in the last 4 months. In place, my YBA Integre took over amplification duties but I miss the dynamic punch of the B100 and the excellent sonic virtues of the Bryston internal DAC. As an aside, I compared the B100 DAC to the Altmann Attraction DAC and found that the B100 DAC is better than the Altmann. The Altmann seems to roll off the highs (is this a trait of NOS non-smapling DACs?).

While all this happening, Accuphase has agreed to lend me a demo integrated (E-407, predecessor of the E-450) for home audition. I am looking forward to the Accuphase audition in my system and will have more to report soon. If the Accuphase can displace the Bryston B100, I will have a BIG dilemma, that is, whether I should go for the Accuphase and relegate the B100 to my office!  :scratch:

Anyhow, let's not pre-empt what will happen and take things one step at a time.

I will be very interested to find out what caused the B100's digital function to fail most times.

Best regards
Dennis

pardales

« Reply #176 on: 19 Nov 2008, 12:58 pm »
I think it is good that you will have the Bryston repaired and give it another go. It may even sound better once the adjustments are made. You will have a dilemma if the Accuphase proves to be a stellar performer. Keep us informed,

Frisco

« Reply #177 on: 19 Nov 2008, 06:01 pm »
Dennis....that would be some dilemma you will have  :green: 

Will a local dealer loan you the Accuphase or will the actual company do it? Looking forward to your impressions and don't forget to take some pics.  aa

denjo

« Reply #178 on: 20 Nov 2008, 12:23 am »
Hi Pardales

Yes, I have a feeling I am going to be in a dilemma once I have auditioned the Accuphase!

Hi Frisco

The local agent for Accuphase will loan it for my home audition. Sorry, I should have been clearer about this. I have been quite impressed with my email communications with Accuphase, Japan. They will reply to your queries - and quite promptly too!

I will try to take some pics of the Accuphase, with its analog VU meter and include my SB3's flourescent, virtual analog meter.

BTW, I like your Avatar - the retro look really appeals to me!

Best regards
Dennis

Frisco

« Reply #179 on: 20 Nov 2008, 04:43 am »
Thanks Dennis...my avatar is a recently restored/rebuilt Marantz 2245. The work was done by Tom at this website....

http://vintage-electronics.home.bresnan.net/

He does excellent work and customer satisfaction is top rate.. :thumb: