Search for an Integrated Amplifier

denjo

Re: Search for an Integrated Amplifier
« Reply #120 on: 15 Aug 2008, 10:33 am »
I see you use the SB3 next to a cd/dvd player

I you upmod the SB3 it will sound ( much) better than any cd thru yr dvd player
a paul Hynes 3.3V +5V  pws ( or Boldercompany) modded by Pat for S/pdif out and modded by Wayne for the rest

the stories a modded SB3 will surpass many cd players>3000US dollar is  completely true
It wins from my modded TEAC VDRS transport ( super clock with its own pws)

and you have immense ease of versatile database  of yr cd's in the computer

Kyrill

Are you referring to the SB3 digital mod or the full monty which includes the SB3 DAC mod as well? I run my stock SB3 digital out to the Bryston B-100 internal DAC. Rightly or wrongly, I have always felt that the digital out to a good DAC will be enough to elevate the humble SB3 (and for that matter, universal player) in the realm of more expensive standalone CDPs. I am quite happy with the performance as-is with no mods to the digital out of SB3 or universal player. I like to keep things pretty simple and if the music satisfies, I am contented. :)

Best Regards
Dennis

kyrill

« Reply #121 on: 15 Aug 2008, 01:12 pm »
erghhh

The SB3 digital out in stock mode is so average it is below sony receiver of 150 dollars. it cannot show you the difference between mp3 and not mp3

it will not honour yr Bryston at all 
The SB3 internal dac is very very good, in fact it will probably be better than the build in dac of Bryston and equal or better the Altmann as a system, Not because the altmann or Bryston is  lesser dac, but because of the immediate non spdif internal bridge so much less jitter in the system This much less jitter is ver very handy :drool:

So if you take the full analogue mod of Wayne you dont need the spdif out mod of Pat but you do need the Hynes supply or alternative

Then  feed yr Bryston in the analogue inputs. You can sell yr altmann.
If you take a bit more expensive route and also do the digital out mod of the SB3 than you can compare dacs. But according to the master Wayne himself, he had not yet heard an outside dac that betters the Sb3 internal dac as a system

Zero

« Reply #122 on: 15 Aug 2008, 03:08 pm »
*self serving post*!

Hey boys - I just wanted to let you know that my full bore review on the KA I-180 is up!  www.sonicflare.com 
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2008, 02:44 pm by Zero »

denjo

« Reply #123 on: 16 Aug 2008, 05:50 am »
The SB3 internal dac is very very good, in fact it will probably be better than the build in dac of Bryston and equal or better the Altmann as a system, Not because the altmann or Bryston is  lesser dac, but because of the immediate non spdif internal bridge so much less jitter in the system This much less jitter is ver very handy :drool:

Kyrill

When Larry Greenhill (Stereophile) reviewed the B-100 with DAC, he concluded that the SB3 with digital out to B-100 DAC sounds "decidedly better" than the SB3's analog out. My own listening experience confirms Larry's view as well. What is interesting is whether modding the digital out ONLY of the SB3 and feeding it to the B-100 DAC will sound noticeably different from a stock digital out, enough to justify the mod. Now that the Duet is out, I might just try a modded Duet (digital out ONLY) feeding the Bryston B-100 DAC.

Best Regards
Dennis

NewBuyer

« Reply #124 on: 16 Aug 2008, 06:38 am »
...The SB3 digital out in stock mode is so average it is below sony receiver of 150 dollars...it will not honour yr Bryston at all...

Just wondering: I don't see how the SB3 digital out quality would make all that much difference when feeding the Bryston DAC, since input is transformer isolated and the S/PDIF is resampled/reclocked... Am I missing something here? :?:

kyrill

« Reply #125 on: 16 Aug 2008, 08:20 am »
i am not a believer of  dac's which states: I am invulnerable to jitter as i reclock the incoming signal.

For some reason it is more complex to implement reclocking  right in a system. Another reason is how good is the dac and jitter behind the reclock? dacs with an ultra precise internal clock must have an "ultra precise" internal pws for the dac to show its merits.. The modded SB3 needs an ultra precise pws which Hynes next to Boldercable provides. These level of precise pws is lacking in most dacs.

I have a modded digital out ( SB3) and the difference between that digital out and an unmodded digital out is  HUGE. No glare, no digital harshness and grain, spades of 3d and  placements, tone , Rhytm and pace. incomparable better. And this into the DEQX a 100% digital preamp with build in processing and dacs with a least amount of jitter originally designed, aimed at recording studio's 

I have not tried the analogue outs as i did not know at that time that Wayne of Boldercompany was so fond of the analogue out ( modded!)

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #126 on: 16 Aug 2008, 05:04 pm »
i am not a believer of  dac's which states: I am invulnerable to jitter as i reclock the incoming signal.

For some reason it is more complex to implement reclocking  right in a system. Another reason is how good is the dac and jitter behind the reclock? dacs with an ultra precise internal clock must have an "ultra precise" internal pws for the dac to show its merits.. The modded SB3 needs an ultra precise pws which Hynes next to Boldercable provides. These level of precise pws is lacking in most dacs.

I have a modded digital out ( SB3) and the difference between that digital out and an unmodded digital out is  HUGE. No glare, no digital harshness and grain, spades of 3d and  placements, tone , Rhytm and pace. incomparable better. And this into the DEQX a 100% digital preamp with build in processing and dacs with a least amount of jitter originally designed, aimed at recording studio's 

I have not tried the analogue outs as i did not know at that time that Wayne of Boldercompany was so fond of the analogue out ( modded!)

hi kyrill,

i am also a happy deqx user.  but, i disagree w/you about (not) using an outboard dac.  why?  because my use of a cheap modded art di/o cdac sounds good in my system, & it has withstood comparisons to digital rigs up to $8k, even when using a cheap transport.  (and sometimes not using a cheap transport, lol!)  not too long ago, i compared it to an unmodded transporter, a way-modded squeezebox thing, (sb3?), fed directly to a preamp, done up by bolder cables, including a spendy upgrade power supply, & a basically stock squeezebox (sb3?) fed into an empirical mods pace-car, feeding a northstar 24/192 dac.  bottom line is that the di/o was absolutely no worse than any of the other combo's we listened to this evening.  why do i say "no worse", instead of something more complementary?  well, tho the di/o sounded as good as any other digital i listened to.  (all were so close as to be pretty-much impossible to reliably distinguish between them.)  but, the winyl being spun was so much better sounding than the digital, it was no contest!    8)

ymmv,

doug s.

kyrill

« Reply #127 on: 16 Aug 2008, 09:06 pm »
Hi Doug
I do not really know how to read your message
Why use Art di/o if you have a DEQX who needs  digital IN as analogue IN will be immediately turned into digital in order to be processed by the DEQX?

And basically  if I get yr message right you dont hear any significant differences between all the different digital sources although they varied widely, but do hear ( of course) important differences between digital and vinyl?

The DEQX however will make every input digital, but you also say you are happy with the DEQX?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #128 on: 16 Aug 2008, 09:44 pm »
Hi Doug
I do not really know how to read your message
Why use Art di/o if you have a DEQX who needs  digital IN as analogue IN will be immediately turned into digital in order to be processed by the DEQX?

And basically  if I get yr message right you dont hear any significant differences between all the different digital sources although they varied widely, but do hear ( of course) important differences between digital and vinyl?

The DEQX however will make every input digital, but you also say you are happy with the DEQX?
hi kyrill,

i use an analog tubed preamp; i use the deqx only as dsp crossover, for my bi-amped horns, & subwoofers.  and yes, in the audition i mentioned (over at woodsyi's house - check his system), there was not any worthwhile difference to write home about, comparing the different digital set-ups.  when we put on winyl, however, everyone noticed a big difference!   :green:

in my system, even tho everything goes thru the deqx at x-over level, analog still sounds better than digital, as well.  perhaps the 24/96 resolution of the deqx is resolving enough to preserve the differences.  i would love to send my deqx out for mods, but the present pricing i have seen is a major hurdle...

best,

doug s.

denjo

« Reply #129 on: 26 Aug 2008, 03:43 am »
Just an interim update on the B-100 and its burn-in progress as it reaches close to the 200-hour mark! In the past fortnight, the integrated as swung from an opaque, diffused sound to tubby bass and tizzy highs, making any serious listen a grating challenge! My speaker cables (Auditorium 23) single run was connected to my Harbeths using the top binding posts (HF position) while the stock Harbeth plates were used to bridge the binding posts for single run. Quite by accident, I was led to read the Harbeth FAQ and realised that Harbeth recommends use of the lower binding posts (LF) rather than the upper posts for single run cabling. I was questioning if this would make any difference but dutifully obeyed the Harbeth recommendation. About an hour after the switch, I returned to the sweet spot and was surprised to discover a dramatic improvement in the music! The bass tightened up and with it the music sounded more organic and whole but the highs were still a little tizzy. For the first time, I think I am seeing the beginning of the end of the burn-in process and am beginning to see a hint of the B-100's pedigree! I am still unsure whether the binding post switch was the reason for the dramatic turn or whether the swap was just a coincidental, non-causative event. Whatever it was, this moment marks a dramatic change worthy of this little update.

Best Regards
Dennis

denjo

« Reply #130 on: 14 Sep 2008, 02:14 am »
Had a couple of highly critical audiophile friends over at my place for a listen of my new Bryston B-100 Integrated. In the past, they did not spare me their frank but honest views if the system sounded awful. I started with analog FM radio to warm up and it was pleasant and listenable. Then switched to SB3 internet radio (mp3, 128 bps) and it was even better. Like the Bryston, they soon warmed up to the music. Next up, SB3 sans flac or wav, randomly selecting my favourite tracks which ranged from instrumentals to vocals, solos to group bands. They could not believe it when I told them that my system was just a simple integrated! One of them remarked, "I am not sure if its your amplifier or DAC or speakers or stands or what but this is sounding very sweet, relaxed and musical!" I replied that my DAC was built into the Integrated. I could see the look of incredulity in their faces! As it was, they were trying hard to accept the fact that music was coming from an Integrated, they were finding it even harder to believe the psychological barrier of an in-built DAC. Yes, said I, not just one DAC but "four DACs" with 2 RCAs and 2 Opticals! They were stumped! If not for the absence of my Rega tonearm (away for repair of loose wiring), I would have spinned a few vinyls and waited for them to ask what phono preamp I was using. I would have tongue-in-cheek said "Oh, just a simple one that Bryston simply dumped into my Integrated since it still had enough space to slot in a card!"

The upshot of the listening session: the Bryston B-100 sounded so Good and musical! While this is not a full review, I am overwhelmed by how much the Bryston has contributed to my musical enjoyment. In the last 15 years that I have been in this hobby - and much equipment has come and gone during this time - few pieces of equipment have impressed and moved me to the extent and degree that the Bryston B-100 has. It is a phenomenal musical instrument that has satiated my desire to swop, change or upgrade. It has filled a vacuum and fulfilled a desire that has long nagged (and almost consumed) me, to find a musical instrument that I could truly see as a means and not an end to musical enjoyment which, when all is said and done, is our ultimate goal.

Postscript: James Tanner has just informed through email that the Bryston B-100 has made it to Stereophile's "Recommended Components" List 2008. I am simply amazed by the number of other Bryston products that have made it to the List! It almost looks like a Bryston monopoly!

Zero

« Reply #131 on: 14 Sep 2008, 02:19 am »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Denjo.  If things go well, I hope to review the B100 SST (sans built in DAC) in the near future.  I'm looking forward to checking out this piece!

Meanwhile, It's great to see you enjoying the music !

denjo

« Reply #132 on: 14 Sep 2008, 02:31 am »
Hi Sean (Zero)

Thanks for your kind wishes!

I am delighted to hear of your intentions to review the Bryston B-100 DA in the near future and look forward to reading your thoughts in the review in the fullness of time.

Best regards
Dennis

Ps, any further post-review thoughts of the Karan integrated?

Zero

« Reply #133 on: 14 Sep 2008, 02:47 am »
Hey Dennis,

Actually, it would be just the regular SST. If good fortune and timing shine down upon me, I will have the opportunity to compare the B100 SST next to the McIntosh MA6300 - which would be fun! Speaking of comparisons, is there any chance that you could riff a bit on the differences you noticed between how the Leben sounded in your system, in contrast to the Bryston you have now? I realize what I'm asking is a bit of a stretch considering you can no longer reliably compare the two components head on head. Still, if you feel comfortable enough in doing so, I'd love to read your thoughts.

My thoughts on the Karan has remained linear. It's a wonderful piece, and while it may not have all the answers, unless you're running a pair of Apogee's, I cannot imagine anyone being dis-satisfied with it. Then again, at $10,500, I suppose that's how it should be. If I wasn't so spoiled by H2O Audio gear, I'd damn near consider the KA I-180 to be my personal huckleberry.

denjo

« Reply #134 on: 14 Sep 2008, 06:44 am »
Speaking of comparisons, is there any chance that you could riff a bit on the differences you noticed between how the Leben sounded in your system, in contrast to the Bryston you have now? I realize what I'm asking is a bit of a stretch considering you can no longer reliably compare the two components head on head. Still, if you feel comfortable enough in doing so, I'd love to read your thoughts.

Hi Sean
As you rightly pointed out, I don't have the Leben anymore to do a head-to-head comparison but am relying on my recollections and some contemporaneous notes which I jotted into my 'Audio Diary'. There is one other vital fact that qualifies my view between the two. The Altmann (and Paradisea) was used as my digital sources for the Leben while the Bryston has its own DAC, so any differences there are could be due to this fact.

The Leben (with NOS RCA tubes and not the stock Sovtek) concentrates on the big picture, enticing you to view the picture as an organic whole. The Bryston extends the soundstage and paints details in the picture which allows you, if you wish, to look closer and appreciate these fine details. The Bryston has a firmer grip of the music, largely attributable to its deeper bass while the Leben is more diffused, less solid. Given its organic and somewhat diffused quality that entices you to see the whole rather than filigree details, it sounds warmer and perhaps even a touch laid back. I am not sure if this is just the Leben or my NOS Altmann or both.

I have not tried the Bryston with my Altmann but the Bryston DAC was supremely better than the Paradisea. I suspect that much of my musical enjoyment with the Bryston is due in no small part to the built-in DAC (which shares many of the attributes of the DAC 1 or BCD-1). It would be a pity to audition the B-100 without the DAC and, if possible, I would strongly urge you to request for the demo unit to come with the built-in DAC.

I hope this helps!

Best regards
Dennis

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #135 on: 14 Sep 2008, 07:19 am »
Zero
I will certainly take pics and post by and by! I hope this will stop my audio merry-go-round!
Keep well!

Best regards
Dennis

Dennis.....

Got some photo's ?  :hyper:

Glad to read its working out.... :thumb:

Enjoy....thanks. :beer:

Chris

denjo

« Reply #136 on: 14 Sep 2008, 08:40 am »
Hi Chris

Thanks for the kind wishes! yes, it looks like its working out very well!

Thanks for the timely reminder! I will try to take some shots of the system to post on the web.

Many thanks,

Best Regards
Dennis

richidoo

« Reply #137 on: 14 Sep 2008, 02:55 pm »
Dennis, I would love to hear your impressions of Altmann v Bryston internal DAC if you ever get around to that. I recently compared the Altmann to a couple high end tube output digital players and was surprised how well it stood its ground, even in detail, bass and space. It actually beat the others in soundstaging but not quite as tonally refined as the stand alone CDP with tube output.

Congrats on a successful mission to find a new amp!
Rich

denjo

« Reply #138 on: 14 Sep 2008, 03:38 pm »
Hi Rich

Thanks for your post and good wishes!

Yes, I am hoping to compare the Altmann NOS DAC vs the Bryston B-100 built-in DAC. I am looking for a universal remote which can communicate with the B-100 to allow me to switch quickly between the two sources. This will facilitate the A/B testing without having to get out of my listening chair. Will keep you posted hopefully soon.

Indeed, the Altmann NOS DAC is an excellent DAC and I am not surprised how it well it holds its ground in the company of more expensive standalone DACs. Would it be possible for you to reveal the other tube CDPs?

Many thanks,

Best Regards
Dennis

Bigfish

« Reply #139 on: 14 Sep 2008, 03:47 pm »
Hi Rich

Thanks for your post and good wishes!

Yes, I am hoping to compare the Altmann NOS DAC vs the Bryston B-100 built-in DAC. I am looking for a universal remote which can communicate with the B-100 to allow me to switch quickly between the two sources. This will facilitate the A/B testing without having to get out of my listening chair. Will keep you posted hopefully soon.

Indeed, the Altmann NOS DAC is an excellent DAC and I am not surprised how it well it holds its ground in the company of more expensive standalone DACs. Would it be possible for you to reveal the other tube CDPs?

Many thanks,

Best Regards
Dennis

Dennis:

One of the sources Rich mentions was my ModWright Transporter.  At the time is was running a Mullard GZ-32 rectifier and 6h30DR Signal tubes.  Not surprising to many here that own a ModWright Transporter, I recently replaced the GZ-32 with a Metal Base GZ-34 and it has made a significant improvement to the sound.  I hope to have the opportunity to compare the ModWright Transporter with this tube combination to the Altmann again.

Ken