Search for an Integrated Amplifier

denjo

Re: Search for an Integrated Amplifier - YBA, LFD and Leben
« Reply #60 on: 25 Apr 2008, 03:45 pm »
Swapped the Leben stock Sovtek tubes with some Sylvania NOS tubes (bought from Greg7 - thanks  :D) and instantly noticed a marked improvement in the music! After an hour's warmup, the difference was incredible. For all Leben owners out there, until you start tube rolling, you are only in first gear! The height of my soundscape increased, and the music simply leapt beyond the normal width of the speakers. The height also increased and the depth too! The bass was simply unbelievable, much greater presence. I was almost tempted to dial back the bass boost in the CS600 to the first detent rather than the second. Greg advised me that with the Sylvania NOS tubes, I had to sacrifice about 5 watts. While I observed that I had to dial the volume higher, the music certainly had more authority and my diminutive Rogers LS3/5a speakers were definitely more tightly reined. So less watts, but more auhority!

By natural inclination, I don't think I am the sort who will constantly tube roll. I am just too lazy to change bottles now and then. But for those who have NEVER tube rolled with the Leben CS600, just swapping a quad of Sylvania NOS will bring a noticeable improvement and a big GRIN to your face!

Best Regards
Dennis

denjo

« Reply #61 on: 4 May 2008, 09:50 am »
Surprise #1: The stock Paradisea (fed by Oppo 980) with WE 396 tubes sounded better than my resident Altmann Attraction DAC (fed by stock SB3, Paul Hynes' PS) through my Leben CS600!!

Last night I had a listening session with an audiophile friend and after several A/Bing between the Paradisea and Altmann, we BOTH agreed that through my Leben the Paradisea sounded less fatiguing, tonally more balanced, had a larger soundstage and overall sounded better than the Altmann!! Is this what system synergy is all about? I was quite surprised by how well the stock Paradisea sounded!!

In case you might think my stock SB3 was the weak link, I used the SB3 to feed the Paradisea and the sound was fuller and more organic.

Surprise #2: The other surprise was how well my Steroevox XV2 digital cable sounded! For the longest time, I felt that the XV2 was a little bright sounding and clinical, especially in the HF. But, with the Leben and Paradisea, it sounded excellent. The brightness disappeared, cymbals and hi-hat were clean sounding and very life-like!

Best Regards
Dennis

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #62 on: 4 May 2008, 11:26 am »
denjo...
Is this what system synergy is all about?
Yes....sometimes you never know until you try different combinations....as you found out... 8)

Happy listening..... :thumb:

Les Lammers

« Reply #63 on: 4 May 2008, 07:17 pm »
Surprise #1: The stock Paradisea (fed by Oppo 980) with WE 396 tubes sounded better than my resident Altmann Attraction DAC (fed by stock SB3, Paul Hynes' PS) through my Leben CS600!!

Last night I had a listening session with an audiophile friend and after several A/Bing between the Paradisea and Altmann, we BOTH agreed that through my Leben the Paradisea sounded less fatiguing, tonally more balanced, had a larger soundstage and overall sounded better than the Altmann!! Is this what system synergy is all about? I was quite surprised by how well the stock Paradisea sounded!!

In case you might think my stock SB3 was the weak link, I used the SB3 to feed the Paradisea and the sound was fuller and more organic.

Surprise #2: The other surprise was how well my Steroevox XV2 digital cable sounded! For the longest time, I felt that the XV2 was a little bright sounding and clinical, especially in the HF. But, with the Leben and Paradisea, it sounded excellent. The brightness disappeared, cymbals and hi-hat were clean sounding and very life-like!

Best Regards
Dennis

That is interesting. Greg7 tried that DAC w/ the stock tube and his Leben and did not like it. I have the same DAC with a few caps changed and I really like it with my pee wee Shindo.  :green:

greg7

« Reply #64 on: 4 May 2008, 08:26 pm »

Best Regards
Dennis

That is interesting. Greg7 tried that DAC w/ the stock tube and his Leben and did not like it. I have the same DAC with a few caps changed and I really like it with my pee wee Shindo.  :green:

I wouldn't say I didn't like it, rather, I felt my Shigaraki dac was "better" by my preferences than the Paradisea+

Les Lammers

« Reply #65 on: 8 May 2008, 11:32 am »
There might be a certain synergy in Denjo's system. Audio is a strange pursuit.  :green:

denjo

« Reply #66 on: 9 May 2008, 10:15 am »
My new speakers arrived this morning - Harbeth Super HL5! I think my Leben is going to get along very well with the Harbeths!

Les: Yep, the elusive thing called system synergy!

Best Regards
Dennis

tanchiro58

« Reply #67 on: 9 May 2008, 10:35 am »

Dennis.

It looks like you have never listened to modifying Attraction DAC which is excellently sounding in my system with its mate heavily modified BYOB amp.  :thumb:

Tan

denjo

« Reply #68 on: 9 May 2008, 10:56 am »
Hi Tan

I am afraid I have no soldering skills to undertake mods!  :(  But, I appreciate your point and feel sure that mods can take equipment to much higher levels!

Best regards
Dennis

Les Lammers

« Reply #69 on: 9 May 2008, 11:31 am »
Hi Tan

I am afraid I have no soldering skills to undertake mods!  :(  But, I appreciate your point and feel sure that mods can take equipment to much higher levels!

Best regards
Dennis

You can easily learn to solder the caps. It is a 20 minute job.

Les Lammers

« Reply #70 on: 9 May 2008, 01:38 pm »
My new speakers arrived this morning - Harbeth Super HL5! I think my Leben is going to get along very well with the Harbeths!

Les: Yep, the elusive thing called system synergy!

Best Regards
Dennis

Agreed. And *I* think it often happens by serendipity.

McShads

« Reply #71 on: 9 Jul 2008, 08:32 pm »
Anyone care to say how the Leben 300 compares with the 600?

denjo

« Reply #72 on: 10 Jul 2008, 01:14 am »
I briefly heard the CS300 driving Totems and found them to be equally organic and musical but a touch restrained, possibly because of its lower power. In the end, I went for the CS600 for the extra headroom to drive my Harbeths. With the right speakers and reasonable listening levels, the CS300 will sound very, very good!

Sorry I cannot be more comprehensive as my time with the smaller Leben was rather limited.

Best Regards
Dennis

Zero

« Reply #73 on: 10 Jul 2008, 01:20 am »
Denjo - I'm just curious, which Totems did you demo the C300 with?

As an aside, I've had the pleasure of rubbing noses with the lovely Karan Acoustics Ki-180 integrated amplifier.  There is something utterly beguiling about a well executed integrated piece.

denjo

« Reply #74 on: 10 Jul 2008, 01:45 am »
Hi Zero

I am not very familiar with the Totem line of speakers but they were the smaller of the two floorstanders that the showroom had in the demo room (the Forest?). The CS-300 was driving the smaller tower.

Yes, I have read good things about the Karan integrated but unfortunately in Singapore this brand is probably unheard of by most and even if I found a dealer who carried the brand, I would be concerned about servicing issues. Anyhow, thanks for the recommendation.

Best Regards
Dennis

Zero

« Reply #75 on: 10 Jul 2008, 01:52 am »
Hello Denjo,

Thanks for the response. Actually, I mentioned the Karan not as a recommendation (as you've chosen your baby!) but more for the sake of throwing it into the discussion amongst the fine integrated amps mentioned in this thread.   :thumb:  Enjoy your new toy!  :green:

denjo

« Reply #76 on: 10 Jul 2008, 02:26 am »
Hi Zero
Reluctantly I had to let the Leben CS-600 go! It was way too hot (literally) in my setup which faces the morning sun in tropical Singapore! Eevn the speakers next to the Leben was warm and I worry the long term effects. I also realised that tube-rolling (and one scary experience tube rolling) was too much for me to handle!

But, I have decided on another integrated, SS this time! Will let you know once it arrives and I have had some time with it.

Best Regards
Dennis

McShads

« Reply #77 on: 10 Jul 2008, 06:32 am »
Hello Dennis
Please keep us up to date when you get the chance. I too am looking for an integrated with a 'valve like sound' that doesn't generate too much heat. Regards

denjo

« Reply #78 on: 10 Jul 2008, 11:59 am »
Hi McShads
I will be happy to share my views of the new integrated amplifier once I receive it and have had a chance to evaluate it! Its going to come with built-in phono and DAC!
Best Regards
Dennis

McShads

« Reply #79 on: 10 Jul 2008, 06:41 pm »
Anyone any thoughts on how the CJ CAV50 would compare to the Lebens, YBA's?