« Reply #100 on: 26 Jul 2008, 02:06 pm »
Well I am jumping in late, but I have a Sansui 9900 and a Gryphon Calisto 2200
and love 'em both.

Why do you have to have an onboard DAC?

Zero

Re: Search for an Integrated Amplifier
« Reply #101 on: 31 Jul 2008, 11:26 pm »
McShads,

My in-depth review of the Karan will be posted at Sonicflare in a week or two - you can read all about it there.

The short of it is; it's not going anywhere!

RodMCV

« Reply #102 on: 31 Jul 2008, 11:47 pm »
There is a Karan KI-180 on audiogon , its' been there 5 days.

Zero

« Reply #103 on: 1 Aug 2008, 12:20 am »
Rod - keen eye, those things RARELY show up.  In fact, I think that's only the second one I've seen go up for sale in over two years! Of course, there's always a good chance I've missed a listing here and there

Anyway, at that price - it is a STEAL. Although I hesitate to mention this (as the seller could frequent these boards).. the price on the KA I-180 is actually $10,500.

RodMCV

« Reply #104 on: 1 Aug 2008, 12:27 am »
He who jumps 1st is rewarded.

I am satisfied in my collection but I was thinking on the Karan when my Gryphon
came up at a price I couldn't walk away from.

This is that kind of price!

Zero

« Reply #105 on: 1 Aug 2008, 01:39 am »
Rod,

Excellent - How are you liking the Gryphon Diablo?

RodMCV

« Reply #106 on: 1 Aug 2008, 02:11 am »
I have the Callisto 2200(the last year)made, with onboard phono and loving it.
Bottomless power and control and effortless too. Loud or soft.

Zero

« Reply #107 on: 1 Aug 2008, 02:18 am »
Serves me right for guesstimating!  :duh: :lol:  The Callisto 2200 looks fantastic !  What did you run before bringing home the Gryphon?

RodMCV

« Reply #108 on: 1 Aug 2008, 02:32 am »
Don't laugh but my last set up does way back.
Heathkit AR-15, then a B&o set till my recent audio Renaissance in the last 2 years.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #109 on: 1 Aug 2008, 04:50 am »
There is a Karan KI-180 on audiogon , its' been there 5 days.
That's a nice integrated....very full sounding, powerful...with very good bass. :rock:
One of our NY Rave members owned one...I borrowed it for awhile...it was a nice audition. :wink:

Zero

« Reply #110 on: 1 Aug 2008, 06:21 am »
RodMVC - No laughing going on here.  I have a lot of respect for the vintage Heathkit stuff.  :thumb:

Lonewolf - I had no idea that you once flirted with a Karan. In the near future, I will be mating it up with a pair of SP TECH Mini's...  (also in for review)..  Can't wait.   aa aa

RodMCV

« Reply #111 on: 1 Aug 2008, 04:22 pm »
Hello Zero,

My Brother still has my original Dynaco A-35's he runs off a scott tube integrated!
He loves that stuff too.
My Brother in-law still runs the heathkit on old AR speakers.

I am a lover of SP TECH and look forward to
     your imperssions of the Giant Mini's!

lonewolfny42

« Reply #112 on: 2 Aug 2008, 01:59 am »
Lonewolf - I had no idea that you once flirted with a Karan. In the near future, I will be mating it up with a pair of SP TECH Mini's...  (also in for review)..  Can't wait.   aa aa

Zero/Sean.....

Nice.....should be a good match...have fun. I'll watch for your review !!! :thumb:

Chris

RodMCV

« Reply #113 on: 2 Aug 2008, 02:05 am »
Hi Chris ,
See you in Denver around the suds like last year?
Don't you think the Mini's will show the best of the Karan?

Rod

lonewolfny42

« Reply #114 on: 2 Aug 2008, 02:12 am »

Rod....

See you in Denver around the suds like last year?
I'm all booked....counting the days till RMAF... :hyper:

Don't you think the Mini's will show the best of the Karan?
Yep.....you'll hear everything the Karan has to offer... :rock:

See you in Denver Rod...   :beer:                     

Chris

denjo

« Reply #115 on: 3 Aug 2008, 11:13 am »
Pardales
Sorry, did not see your post! The B-100 is burning-in quite well! The built-in DAC is par excellence! Listening to my SB3 and Oppo has never been so enjoyable! Combined with the ease of use, I don't think I am sacrificing anything compared to my Altmann and Paradisea, much as my respect for these two DACs is quite immense!

As I write, I have both digital sources running as well as my analog (tuner) and simply pressing the buttons (I have not got the remote yet) has made me into a push-button maniac as I alternate between them!

I have observed my B-100 runs hot - certainly hotter than some posts I have read here of the 4BSST. Placing my hands on the heatsink for one minute will be intolerable, maybe 15 seconds max. The room ambient temperature is hot (tropical Singapore, 35 degrees C) so this could largely account for why my B-100 is so hot!

Best Regards
Dennis

kyrill

« Reply #116 on: 11 Aug 2008, 11:22 am »
hi Denjo

I have read yr yourney

why dont you combine the Leben with a good cool airconditioning? ;)

Is 30 watts too less for you?
I had the pleasure of having  Vinnie's smallish RW 30.2 amp and musicality is its fundament.
Very seldom i have heard an amp which  brings human performers out of the electronic medium they traveled so long with, back into your listening room again,  as warm living beings.
I compared the 30.2 with a Melos triode, TABOO single ended pentode and Jadis EL34 in triode mode and (still tweaking the Jadis) the RW30.2 is not sweet or crisp, but completely un-electronic
the other amps let you hear every detail and space and gestalt of the music, even sweeet and mesmerizing, but your own voice or that of yr wife and children still sounds (much)less electronic, less as a recording.
The 30.2 has that magic, it sound so ehh  normal, not electronic without loosing detail or other high end properties. And you cannot get it cooler it never reaches human temperature.
The 30 watts is battery power 30 watts, so more powerful than PWS 30 watts unless with incredible amounts of uF capacitors.
It has no input selector switch.. so not a real integrated but a volume attenuator

denjo

« Reply #117 on: 15 Aug 2008, 10:01 am »
Hi Kyrill

Thanks for reading my journey, hope you found it interesting!

The Leben was an excellent amplifier and 32 watts (even 28 on its lower setting) is plenty powerful in driving my Harbeths. But, unfortunately the bother of tubes (they do degrade every second and have limited lifespan) and the heat was too much for me to bear (not to mention that my family were "afraid" to use it! Airconditioning is very expensive in Singapore, especially with oil prices sky-rocketing, and consequently its not a very practical solution to the heat problem.

As for Vinnie's products, I have no doubt they sound very organic (not electronic as you put it) but again my experiences with batteries have been less than encouraging. I had a RWA battery enclosure for my Altmann and within a few months the batteries "died" and sourcing for the right one in Singapore is like finding a needle in a haystack. I was even tempted to buy a car battery but my better half would not have any of that stuff in our living room (non-negotiable issue!).

Thus my journey to find that integrated amplifier that would provide me with long-term musical enjoyment and satisfaction, enough to stop the "musical chairs" of swapping amplifiers and other gear. Although early days, the Bryston B-100 has been a joy to use. Without the clutter of separate gear (DAC and phono) and the power cords, my life is so much simpler! I feel free, liberated from the shackles of having to worry about synergy and the like. Honestly, I can now sit back, relax and enjoy the music instead of worrying about whether this gear will synergise with that, etc. Operating the B-100 is an absolute breeze. Just turn on (form standby), and within 5 seconds the amplifier is ready. No pops, no extra switches to turn on; my DAC and phono are ready to go. The channel separation of the B-100 is also excellent. I don't hear any stray sound from the other channels, its as if there was an impenetrable wall between one source and another. Consequently, I leave several sources on simultaneously - SB3 internet radio, DVD/CD player, tuner and sometimes my phono. At the touch of the button, I can shift from one source to another as my whim takes me!

How is it sounding now? Well, its still under 200 hours but the music is slowly opening up and I think I like what I am hearing!

I will have more to share once the B-100 stabilises, allowing me to make more serious comparisons. One of the things I hope to do is to compare the B-100 internal DAC with the Altmann DAC (Paul Hynes' PSU). If the B-100 DAC equals the Altmann, I would have already scored with convenience. If the B-100 DAC trounces the Altmann, that would be a great bonus and boon!

Best Regards
Dennis

kyrill

« Reply #118 on: 15 Aug 2008, 10:13 am »
hi

\I always look first at the coupling caps inside
it is almost not done for manufacturers to put a high cost cap inside and the caps do effect the sound enormously
mostly a modest "Auricap" not the Auricap-T ( teflon very good but too expensive) or Sonicap gen1 will do wonders.

I am glad you find probably peace in yr setup?

kyrill

« Reply #119 on: 15 Aug 2008, 10:20 am »
I see you use the SB3 next to a cd/dvd player

I you upmod the SB3 it will sound ( much) better than any cd thru yr dvd player
a paul Hynes 3.3V +5V  pws ( or Boldercompany) modded by Pat for S/pdif out and modded by Wayne for the rest

the stories a modded SB3 will surpass many cd players>3000US dollar is  completely true
It wins from my modded TEAC VDRS transport ( super clock with its own pws)

and you have immense ease of versatile database  of yr cd's in the computer