Torus - Feedback/Reviews

werd

Re: Torus - Feedback/Reviews
« Reply #180 on: 20 Feb 2010, 07:53 pm »
Hello Gtaphile

I have my 14B plugged into the wall atm and i think its better. Use a 1500 watt hairdryer on that cs15. It will burn in the outlet fast. run the hairdryer for about 10 min at a time. It will excite the outlet. It works

gtaphile

« Reply #181 on: 20 Feb 2010, 08:10 pm »
Right after I wash the dog - thanks.

Hello Gtaphile

I have my 14B plugged into the wall atm and i think its better. Use a 1500 watt hairdryer on that cs15. It will burn in the outlet fast. run the hairdryer for about 10 min at a time. It will excite the outlet. It works

95Dyna

« Reply #182 on: 20 Feb 2010, 08:40 pm »
This review is in the amp upgrade post but thought it also belonged in this one...

(I just recently upgraded my pair of 7Bsst2 with new PS etc. and that experience is as per the quote at the bottom) I also had on order a CS-15...for those that are interested my first impresson of the CS-15 post amp upgrade.)

Just received my CS-15 and let it warm up for 20 hours connected to the amps only at very low levels.

Here is my experince thus far - listerned to Fly Away by Corrine May on JVC XRCD2 at low level (between 8 and 9 on the pre).

Regular set-up - Pre and CD plugged into Monster power conditioner, CD player has Audioquest NRG-2 power cord, amps plugged into 2 separate 15 amp cuircuits.

Plugged upgraded amps only into CS-15 - image moved back and slightly wider but voices and piano became more diffuse. Not my preference.

Plugged all 4 components into CS-15 - image stayed back and remained wider but voices and piano more in  focus. Better to my ears.

Then left Pre and CD in CS-15 and moved amps back to wall - image stayed back and remained wider but voices and piano much more in focus and increased separation between voices and piano. This is closest to the sound pre CS-15 but with a better defined image present. Best to my ears.

I am not sure if 20 hours is enough for the Torus to fully settle in and will spend some time tomorrow listening to other music and chime back.

Quote from: gtaphile on 12 Feb 2010, 02:53 PM
After waiting about 24 hours for the system to warm up...

As expected for me the upgrade was in line with my other experiences with Bryston in my system. The music is simply that much closer to live in every respect....the background is much quieter. My listening these days is mostly vocals and I can tell you Alison Krauss never sounded so good on this system, not even close.

Will chime back in when the Torus arrives.

Hi gtaphile,

I've posted a couple observations on the "upgrades" thread while conducting the same evaluation you are doing. My CS 15 is 2 months old now and well broken in.  I also was drawn to a piano/voice observation and found the piano well placed between the center and stage right speaker a little behind the female vocal which was dead center in the stage.  This was with the X-05 and BP26 connected to the Torus and the 7's in the wall.  When I returned the 7b's to the Torus the female vocal came out into the room further and the piano stayed put as did the bass and quiet brushing of the snare drum at stage left and left of center back respectively. I had the sense she was hanging in mid air singing down upon me but not in an unrealistic way.  The piano sounded a  bit more full and tonally correct.  It all sounded very balanced.  The recording was a single mic  Chesky Records SACD of Valery Joyce in an arrangement of Jimi Hendrix' "Little Wing".  Overall the differences with the amps in and out of the Torus is more subtle than with the SACD player and to a lesser extent the BP26.  I think the whole is greater than the sum of the parts when all 4 are plugged into the Torus.  I like it better and it has the added benefit of the surge protection for the amps.

Bill

gtaphile

« Reply #183 on: 20 Feb 2010, 09:09 pm »
Thanks Bill,

I still have much work to do on my room treatments to provide the facility to hear the cues that you point out.   

Hi gtaphile,

I've posted a couple observations on the "upgrades" thread while conducting the same evaluation you are doing. My CS 15 is 2 months old now and well broken in.  I also was drawn to a piano/voice observation and found the piano well placed between the center and stage right speaker a little behind the female vocal which was dead center in the stage.  This was with the X-05 and BP26 connected to the Torus and the 7's in the wall.  When I returned the 7b's to the Torus the female vocal came out into the room further and the piano stayed put as did the bass and quiet brushing of the snare drum at stage left and left of center back respectively. I had the sense she was hanging in mid air singing down upon me but not in an unrealistic way.  The piano sounded a  bit more full and tonally correct.  It all sounded very balanced.  The recording was a single mic  Chesky Records SACD of Valery Joyce in an arrangement of Jimi Hendrix' "Little Wing".  Overall the differences with the amps in and out of the Torus is more subtle than with the SACD player and to a lesser extent the BP26.  I think the whole is greater than the sum of the parts when all 4 are plugged into the Torus.  I like it better and it has the added benefit of the surge protection for the amps.

Bill

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #184 on: 24 Feb 2010, 04:13 pm »
Hey James,

Just a quick note to say WOW!  I was not prepared for the difference the Torus RM-10 has made in my system!  I had only a short audition yesterday afternoon and evening, but I am very impressed.  I looked for a reason to stay out of work today just to have some private time with my new system, but could find no reason to skip work.  Sheer guilt forced me in today. 

I am already using a PS Audio Quintessence but I knew this was not the ultimate as I did not have any regeneration.  Now, my system has taken on a completely new character.  There is a new aura about it.  The entire audio spectrum is improved and my 60” Pioneer Elite Kuro has never looked better. 

Feel free to use any of the above in your testimonials section; you deserve all the praise.

Lloyd…

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #185 on: 4 May 2010, 05:08 pm »
MEMO: To all Bryston/Torus Customers
SUBJECT: Customer Feedback

May 4, 2010

Dear James,

My new Torus RM-15 2U arrived recently.  Finally got it hooked up late last week.  I will spare you the rhapsodic prose as to how it improved things (or maybe save it for a later day...Bob T's of a few months ago is what took me over the Torus edge).

www.TorusPower.com

The unit that Torus builds is magic.  That it could so enhance the already astonishing performance of my new Bryston gear leaves me somewhat amazed. 

And should anyone ask me, I would tell them:  Before you drop a small fortune on new speakers (those room dependent "boxes or panels" at the end of the sound chain), see what happens to your system when you get it right at the beginning. You may find that you do not need new speakers at all!

Sincerely,
Peter Huson

95Dyna

« Reply #186 on: 4 May 2010, 06:45 pm »
MEMO: To all Bryston/Torus Customers
SUBJECT: Customer Feedback

May 4, 2010

Dear James,

My new Torus RM-15 2U arrived recently.  Finally got it hooked up late last week.  I will spare you the rhapsodic prose as to how it improved things (or maybe save it for a later day...Bob T's of a few months ago is what took me over the Torus edge).

www.TorusPower.com

The unit that Torus builds is magic.  That it could so enhance the already astonishing performance of my new Bryston gear leaves me somewhat amazed. 

And should anyone ask me, I would tell them:  Before you drop a small fortune on new speakers (those room dependent "boxes or panels" at the end of the sound chain), see what happens to your system when you get it right at the beginning. You may find that you do not need new speakers at all!

Sincerely,
Peter Huson

Peter is right on the money here, James.  I thought for sure I would be replacing my Infinity 9 Kappas eventually after installing all my new Bryston gear and the Torus CS 15.  Now I absolutely would not without being able to bring the new speakers home to sit them side by side the Infinitys. 

Wig

« Reply #187 on: 15 May 2010, 05:41 am »
 Guys,

every time I turn off/on my ceiling fan I get a pop, I thought the CS-15 was designed to isolate extraneous noises?

Thanks,
 Wig

drummermitchell

« Reply #188 on: 18 May 2010, 03:19 am »
Wig,I'd try another outlet where the fan isn't on the same line and see what happens when you turn the fan off+on.
I had a light switch that effected one of my outlets(had a sub in there)and I'd get a thump.
I didn't have the Torus plugged into that.My subs are plugged into the Torus(S) in front and no problems(Dedicated lines).
When I get this other sub,I'm going to put the BX-10 on that outlet with the sub and see what happens.
You wouldn't think the Torus would let that through,of course I'm no techy,I'm into the final creation
                                                          The MUSIC :thumb:.

Wig

« Reply #189 on: 18 May 2010, 06:40 pm »
 Sure, I only have one more socket to choose from and it's directly above the one I'm using.

Thanks,
 Wig :D

Laundrew

• "Sometimes it rains inside my head..."
« Reply #190 on: 19 May 2010, 01:25 pm »
Guys,

every time I turn off/on my ceiling fan I get a pop, I thought the CS-15 was designed to isolate extraneous noises?

Thanks,
 Wig

I thought that the Torus would of prevented transients such as these from reaching your audio equipment. I am curious if it is an “RF” pop and not being transmitted via the house wiring.

:scratch:

Be well...

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #191 on: 19 May 2010, 03:36 pm »
Hi,

I spoke with the main guy at Torus and his input is that the house ground 'must' be maintained for safety reasons and that is the way the Torus is wired.  If your getting a pop at turn on and 'especially' at "turn off" it could be an RF issue and it would indicate there is a problem with the way the fan is wired.

james

Wig

« Reply #192 on: 19 May 2010, 06:23 pm »
Thanks for the follow up, I guess I'll have to live with it for now...

:D

tug919

« Reply #193 on: 20 May 2010, 03:40 am »
I need help sizing a Torus power conditioner.  I have purchased a Nad M-25 power amp.  It is rated at 160 wpc x 7 channels.  From what I have heard Nad is conservative in their power ratings.  I have included the URL to the M-25 manual.  What size Torus will I need?

Thanks

http://nadelectronics.com/content/100218133056-NAD-M25_OMENG.pdf

werd

« Reply #194 on: 20 May 2010, 04:12 am »
I need help sizing a Torus power conditioner.  I have purchased a Nad M-25 power amp.  It is rated at 160 wpc x 7 channels.  From what I have heard Nad is conservative in their power ratings.  I have included the URL to the M-25 manual.  What size Torus will I need?

Thanks

http://nadelectronics.com/content/100218133056-NAD-M25_OMENG.pdf

Hello

An rm10 will work but get into a rm15 for super jam.

tug919

« Reply #195 on: 26 May 2010, 09:59 pm »
An rm10 will work but get into a rm15 for super jam.

Thanks Werd.  The way I had it figured, the RM15 would be minimal, but then I thought about dynamic power needs and wasn't sure even the RM20 would be enough.

I forgot to mention my speakers are 4 ohm nominal.

drummermitchell

« Reply #196 on: 26 May 2010, 11:55 pm »
doesn't hurt to have more than enough,especially if you figure the 15a is minimul,then you end upupgrading your Torus later.of course you could use the 15 for components and sub.
A few extra dinaro,you could have the 20a.
I found with my amps(5)the 15a didn't seem to like all those amps on it's back,as soon as I installed a20a,the skies opened up,I couldn't believe it.
As James would say:having gobs of reserve power makes a HUGE difference,
I can testify to that,if you can afford a bit more(especially if you plan on upgrading),
do yourself and the music a favour,you'll be happy you did.
I have seen people on Audiogon sell their Torus(S) to buy a BIGGER Torus,as they realized that with
their power requirements that they needed  a bigger one.I'm one of them.
And it makes a BIG difference :thumb:.

Hugh T

« Reply #197 on: 16 Jun 2010, 10:49 pm »
Is one unbalanced RM20 on 20A dedicated line good enough for 3 McIntosh MC501's + 1 Bryston 4B-ST?  Or should I get the balanced one instead? 

Thanks,
Hugh

werd

« Reply #198 on: 16 Jun 2010, 11:28 pm »
Is one unbalanced RM20 on 20A dedicated line good enough for 3 McIntosh MC501's + 1 Bryston 4B-ST?  Or should I get the balanced one instead? 

Thanks,
Hugh

Hello

Go 240v and get the rm30 (if it still exists)

drummermitchell

« Reply #199 on: 17 Jun 2010, 12:11 am »
I believe to make sure you are getting the amperage your amps would like is,
you add up what all the amps would want at full power and divide by 2/3.
This is for 8ohm speakers I believe,James can correct me if I'm wrong.
I went everything at full power just in case,I don't want my amps wanting even a smidge more of
power as it has an effect on me and the music :green:..