Torus - Feedback/Reviews

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Torus - Feedback/Reviews
« Reply #140 on: 4 Oct 2009, 04:48 pm »
I am interested in adding a RM15 to a system with a 4BSST, BP25, BDA1 and am unclear if the RM15 is a good match to a 4B.

Hi Gordon,

I have been using the RM15 with a 4B SST2 on my Quad 2905 system for about 3 weeks now and it sounds superb.

gordon

« Reply #141 on: 4 Oct 2009, 04:54 pm »
That's the answer I was hoping for - was concerned there would be some current limiting issues - glad to hear that's not the case.

Now I will need to get in the queue!

JohnnyB

« Reply #142 on: 21 Nov 2009, 05:33 pm »
James,

Would you recommend the RM15 or RM20 for the following equipment?

Krell 200 wpc X2
Bryston 5ST 120 wpc X3
Plasma TV
Several Source components

Thanks, John Bruns

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #143 on: 21 Nov 2009, 05:46 pm »
James,

Would you recommend the RM15 or RM20 for the following equipment?

Krell 200 wpc X2
Bryston 5ST 120 wpc X3
Plasma TV
Several Source components

Thanks, John Bruns

Hi John,

Do you have a 20 amp service?

james

JohnnyB

« Reply #144 on: 21 Nov 2009, 07:26 pm »
James,

Not currently. 

But I am having the electricians out next week for an estimate to install two 20A outlets (or one 20A and one 15A?)  behind my home theater system.  Any ideas on what I should tell them for wiring, outlets, etc?

Thanks, JohnnyB

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #145 on: 21 Nov 2009, 07:44 pm »
James,

Not currently. 

But I am having the electricians out next week for an estimate to install two 20A outlets (or one 20A and one 15A?)  behind my home theater system.  Any ideas on what I should tell them for wiring, outlets, etc?

Thanks, JohnnyB

OK great - if you in fact will have a 20 amp outlet and circuit then I would go for the 20 amp Torus.

james

werd

« Reply #146 on: 21 Nov 2009, 07:53 pm »
James,

Not currently. 

Thanks, JohnnyB

Hi
Go for the 240 volt 20 amp service like james said, but make sure they put 10/2 gauge in. You don't need a neutral installed (10/3) wire but installing the neutral isnt really a bad idea for any future changes. You wont use the neutral but it will be there. Make sure you get a quote on 10 gauge, they will want to put in 14 gauge by default. And make sure you find a 20 amp 240 volt outlet as instead of a 15 amp 240 outlet. The 20 amp outlets works on the 15 amp also if you change your mind on the Torus size. You can buy the outlet at any electrical supplier and not bad idea to do and have it ready for him.

oh yah the 10 gauge is only about 25 bucks more or somehting like that. so its worth doing.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #147 on: 22 Dec 2009, 01:05 am »
Customer sent me this as he saw it on audiogon - thought it was a great endorsement for Torus:

Description (Torus (Bryston) RM 2.5)

This Torus power conditioner is a 2.5 amp, single rack mount unit featuring series mode surge suppression, and 4 outlets. The power supply in my town is pretty dirty and this unit has very noticeably improved the performance of my system. My only reason for selling is to upgrade to a larger Torus unit for an expanding system. In my opinion these Torus units may be the best kept secret in power conditioning. Others like Richard Gray, Furman, PS Audio et al. have been out longer and therefore have more press, but I suspect that will change over the next few years as Torus becomes better known. This little box (and I assume the other Torus monsters) are the real deal.

Functional condition: 100%, perfect with no problems whatsoever.

drummermitchell

« Reply #148 on: 22 Dec 2009, 01:31 am »
That's what I tell the boys on Audiogon,the only reason you 'll see a Torus up for sale is that they want to upgrade to a bigger one.I've seen that quite a few times on that site.

Wig

« Reply #149 on: 26 Dec 2009, 02:58 pm »
 I can't wait to get this in my system to actually hear what my components should sound like....

Wig :drool:

1oldguy

« Reply #150 on: 26 Dec 2009, 05:13 pm »
Curious if someone could explain the 1000 dollar difference in the two units?

werd

« Reply #151 on: 26 Dec 2009, 06:45 pm »

When i bought mine it was only a 200 dollar diff between the rm15 and rm20. I think the rm15 at the time was only a slightly scaled back version of the 20. I would say they found a way to deliver the rm15 with a more efficient build in 120v version. Thus the reduced price. I dont know accurate that is but it seems to make sense for an explanation.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #152 on: 26 Dec 2009, 08:31 pm »

Hi,

Torus found a core material and winding technique that performed a little better and were able to develop a new product capable of 15 amps. The down side is the new 15 amp unit will run a little hotter than the older 15 amp unit under the same current draw.

The plus is of course it is less expensive to manufacture.

james

1oldguy

« Reply #153 on: 26 Dec 2009, 10:11 pm »
I have to say I am more than a little interested in the Torus units.It will be close to the end of this year before I can afford one but I know I want/need one.There are lots of them on the market but it will be a Torus for this oldguy.
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2009, 11:39 pm by 1oldguy »

budt

« Reply #154 on: 27 Dec 2009, 01:57 pm »
   I have never been into the power conditioner,cable ,tweak scene and all that but I must admit this Torus does have me intrigued as well.I think I will just bite the bullet and give one a try.

budt

« Reply #155 on: 28 Dec 2009, 07:02 pm »
 Well, I did indeed bite the bullet and ordered one today( RM15).

1oldguy

« Reply #156 on: 28 Dec 2009, 07:18 pm »
will be looking for forward to a review perhaps?

budt

« Reply #157 on: 28 Dec 2009, 07:57 pm »
  Well, as I mentioned earlier;I tend to be very spetical of cables,tweaks ,conditioners etc. In the past if there were indeed audible differences maybe my hearing just wasn't good enough to detect them. There were times I thought I could hear differences but they were so small to me that there is no way I would have detected them with any success in a DBT.However with the torus almost everyone is claiming "HUGE" differences , perhaps differences that even I can reliably detect.
 Anyways I will be inserting it into a system as follows.
 B&W 802D
 Bryston BP26 pre
 Byrston 4b sst amp
 Sony XA5400SE cd/sacd player
 Cables are generic Bluejean and bryston speaker cables.

As you can see I don't have any esoteric cables cause I just really couldn't hear any difference( maybe tin ears). I must confess I really didn't try much in the way of esoteric cables though. Perhaps there are cables which even I could hear a difference.

1oldguy

« Reply #158 on: 28 Dec 2009, 08:16 pm »
Its because of your views on such matters I;m really looking forward to your findings most of all.
Also we have the same speakers,use Bryston Amps,and both used a Bryston preamp.
Curious,what gauge is the Bryston Speaker wire?

werd

« Reply #159 on: 28 Dec 2009, 08:24 pm »
Well, I did indeed bite the bullet and ordered one today( RM15).

Way to go congratz...... I guarantee it, you will love it.